University of Oregon Law Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
candidateNO5

New

Re: University of Oregon Law

Post by candidateNO5 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:06 pm

Leaning toward LC over UO. The difference is four thousand a year (I am out of state), which is a good chunk of money. But in the end I would rather live in Portland over Eugene. I think the difference between a city like Portland and Eugene should be a factor. Better food, quality of drugs, people, stuff to do, etc. Also probably going to April 25th ASD to check it out for sure before I commit 100% to LC.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:14 pm

emoticons777 wrote:Does anyone have any actual data/employment numbers? I can't seem to find anything recent for UO
Davis Wright and Tremaine: 42 from UO (search using both UO and UO Law); 28 from L&C (both names, again).

Miller Nash (LinkRemoved): 23 from UO, 21 from L&C (L&C search thread here (LinkRemoved)).

Stoel Rives: 11 from UO in Portland, 24 from L&C (L&C search thread here). I do know Stoel is highly concentrated in environmental, climate control, and related fields of law.

Those are a few firms in Portland.

Here is the link to the UO Placement Stats, though they're from 2007. I'll let you know if I find additional info.
Last edited by kimber1028 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalydscopeeyes

New

Post by kalydscopeeyes » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:24 pm

candidateNO5 wrote:I think the difference between a city like Portland and Eugene should be a factor. Better food, quality of drugs, people, stuff to do, etc.
Have you been out here for a visit? Although a lot of people complain about Eugene (mainly because of the lack of "shopping,") I really enjoyed the quality of life down there- YES, Portland has more restaurants, but I really, really miss the food in Eugene too! There are so many great restaurants down there. And tons of events in both cities- remember, you have a huge campus life in Eugene and always lots going on. Can't speak about the drug scene, but from my observations there's plenty of the P-O-T in the Euge. Quality of people? Eugene may have more drunk 19 year olds and "hippies," I suppose? I still lean toward Eugene though, for school, you can still live in Portland your whole life after that!

What's with the Jesse Jackson, Jr. reference? A friend works for him in Chicago. Just curious.

candidateNO5

New

Post by candidateNO5 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:28 pm

kalydscopeeyes wrote:
candidateNO5 wrote:I think the difference between a city like Portland and Eugene should be a factor. Better food, quality of drugs, people, stuff to do, etc.
Have you been out here for a visit? Although a lot of people complain about Eugene (mainly because of the lack of "shopping,") I really enjoyed the quality of life down there- YES, Portland has more restaurants, but I really, really miss the food in Eugene too! There are so many great restaurants down there. And tons of events in both cities- remember, you have a huge campus life in Eugene and always lots going on. Can't speak about the drug scene, but from my observations there's plenty of the P-O-T in the Euge. Quality of people? Eugene may have more drunk 19 year olds and "hippies," I suppose? I still lean toward Eugene though, for school, you can still live in Portland your whole life after that!

What's with the Jesse Jackson, Jr. reference? A friend works for him in Chicago. Just curious.
Senator is one of the best jobs in the world. I have great respect for JJ jr for almost purchasing a seat (albeit a shortened one) for 500k. It is quite a steal in my opinion.

Joe Toboni

New

Post by Joe Toboni » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Mt Hood has actually been my computer desktop wallpaper for the past year (not my avatar though, that is Mt Washington). I should have worked that into my app.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:36 pm

Mt Hood has actually been my computer desktop wallpaper for the past year (not my avatar though, that is Mt Washington). I should have worked that into my app.
How far a drive is it? I'm coming from Denver where it's an hour or so to some of the best skiing you can ask for. I'm gonna miss it....

Joe Toboni

New

Post by Joe Toboni » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:34 pm

Cal4future wrote:
How far a drive is it? I'm coming from Denver where it's an hour or so to some of the best skiing you can ask for. I'm gonna miss it....
mmm, it's 3073 miles from my desktop to Mt Hood. From Eugene about 3.5 hours.

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:16 am

The best skiing in Oregon (if you ask me) is at Mt. Bachelor, which is about 3 hours from Eugene. Adequate skiing is about an hour, 1.5 hours (Willamette Pass), and the coast is also about an hour, 1.5 hours from Eugene. Of course, the skiing is no where near as good as Colorado! Eugene is in a great location in the state; lots of outdoorsy things to do! It's just beautiful.

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:59 pm

What about weather? Everyone keeps saying that it's going to be wet and rainy all the time. I thought this was true further north and west but I thought Eugene was pretty nice. Any thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:40 pm

I lived in Eugene for three years during undergrad, and the rain isn't too bad. It's about the same as in Portland, if you've been here. The thing about Oregon is that we tend to have fairly consistent rainfall, but it's not very heavy rain. It's fairly unusual for us to have a major rainstorm, though they do happen once or twice a year. One thing I will warn against is the pollen and grass seed--if you have significant allergies, Eugene can be hell. The good news is that the allergy season lasts only a couple of months, so you'll be fine for the majority of the year.

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:44 am

No allergies. My dad used to live in Glendale which is further south near Grants Pass and I don't remember much rain. Is that climate significantly different than Eugene? If not, I don't really thinks it's an issue. I'm coming from Denver so even Los Angeles is going to have less sunny days than we have here. I'm prepared to deal with it :). Just trying to figure out how much different life will be.

smalltown

New

Post by smalltown » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:50 am

Cal4future wrote:No allergies. My dad used to live in Glendale which is further south near Grants Pass and I don't remember much rain. Is that climate significantly different than Eugene? If not, I don't really thinks it's an issue. I'm coming from Denver so even Los Angeles is going to have less sunny days than we have here. I'm prepared to deal with it :). Just trying to figure out how much different life will be.
It rains pretty much every day for six months. My dad lives there now and he lived in Colorado for 30 years. Every January he calls and says he's thinking about moving back to Colorado. The rain is just effing constant. The windshield wipers really don't turn off.

The climate in Eugene is quite a bit different than places like Medford. It's a lot wetter, and life will be significantly different, as far as weather, compared to Colorado. We have it pretty much perfect here. But there is water in Eugene, which is a nice change of pace.

But the above poster is right. There really aren't big, pouring rain storms like we have here in Colorado. But if you can make it through the rain, Eugene is wonderful. Every July my dad calls and says he doesn't want to leave. And the U of O law school can provide a fantastic education for you.

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:02 am

But the above poster is right. There really aren't big, pouring rain storms like we have here in Colorado. But if you can make it through the rain, Eugene is wonderful. Every July my dad calls and says he doesn't want to leave. And the U of O law school can provide a fantastic education for you.
Thanks for the info. It makes me laugh when people ask generic questions about schools (rankings, etc). They have no idea what life at that school really means. I want to get as much out of law school as possible and this kind of stuff really helps!

It seems like people think the quality of life is really high at U of O. What makes it so good? I really like football so I'm pretty excited about that. What else is good about Eugene, U of O law, and U of O in general?

edit: Thought I'd make the point that rankings are important but won't tell you what you're going to get out of a school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:30 pm

Cal4future wrote: What else is good about Eugene, U of O law, and U of O in general?

Things that I love about Eugene:
-It's green! While the rain is a pain in the ass, but I do appreciate it for the scenery it creates. I don't know if other people notice this as much as I did when I first moved here, but coming from Southern Idaho to Eugene was quite a shock. Eugene also has the green mindset. People are pretty conscious about recycling, etc. I know that is an added bonus for some.
-There are plenty of outdoor activities for those who enjoy them. There are a lot of hiking/bike trails. I don't utilize those all that much, but during the summer I would say you could drive about 30 minutes to an hour in any direction and find a nice river or lake to swim in. There's camping in the area as well and if you're up for the wind the coast is a little over an hour away.
-The public transit system in Eugene is pretty helpful. Finding a parking spot on campus can be absolute hell, but the bus drops you about a 10 minute walk from the law school and runs several times an hour to different parts of town.
-I've met a few of the UO law professors outside of the classroom and the ones I've encountered seem like pretty great people. I know meeting them outside the classroom might not speak to what they're like as teachers, but all positive experiences nonetheless.
-You mentioned being into athletics. This is something the UO definitely has going for it. Obviously, there's football. I would say even in weaker years the majority of people in town get pretty into it. Plus, free student tickets are always an added bonus. They've changed the way they distribute tickets over the years, but it's my understanding that grad/law students get first crack. Yahoo! Beyond that, the university brought back the baseball program this year and they're building a new basketball arena. I'll be sad to see Mac Court go, but it's probably time :cry: . If you're into track & field, we've got the Olympic Trials coming back in a few years and I think the collegiate championship is here this year as well.

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:19 pm

Eugene sounds like a good fit for me. I will be sending my seat deposit today or tomorrow. I hope to see you all soon!

*If Notre Dame comes through I may have to change my destination though.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Yea! Congrats! You can join my lonely forum if you want, as well. It doesn't look like we have too many decided Ducks at this point. The link is http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 20&t=63097. I'm excited to meet you in August!

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Also, anyone predicting a jump in the new USNWR Rankings this year? 3 top 10 programs and a big underrated ranking from vault might help out. Or is this just wishful thinking?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Withdrew today. Had $$, hopefully someone here gets that, this decision was hard.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:26 pm

Hoping for a boost, but you never know. If you look at the past six years, though, UO averages #77 or so. It'd be nice if the new ranking matched that average, at least. We'll see soon enough....

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:27 pm

kak23 wrote:Withdrew today. Had $$, hopefully someone here gets that, this decision was hard.
Where are you going to school? Have you decided? Sorry to hear you won't be at UO with us!

snaps

New

Post by snaps » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:29 pm

JUST got into UO.

sooo freakin' happy! i called syracuse and told them to shred my check. i'm going to join all of you fine oregon people! i've never been, but i just know i'm going to love it. hooray!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:34 pm

snaps wrote:JUST got into UO.

sooo freakin' happy! i called syracuse and told them to shred my check. i'm going to join all of you fine oregon people! i've never been, but i just know i'm going to love it. hooray!
Congrats! That's great!

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:35 pm

kimber1028 wrote:
kak23 wrote:Withdrew today. Had $$, hopefully someone here gets that, this decision was hard.
Where are you going to school? Have you decided? Sorry to hear you won't be at UO with us!
Probably Tennessee but I will ride out some waitlists also.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:38 pm

snaps wrote:JUST got into UO. sooo freakin' happy! i called syracuse and told them to shred my check. i'm going to join all of you fine oregon people! i've never been, but i just know i'm going to love it. hooray!
Yea!!! Congrats, snaps! Are you going to the ASD? Here's the link for the UO Class of 2012 forum: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 20&t=63097.
kak23 wrote:Probably Tennessee but I will ride out some waitlists also.
Enjoy Tennessee! Good luck in the fall! :)

Lotario de Conti

New

Post by Lotario de Conti » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:16 am

Well, I have deposited on USD. Going to wait for confirmation before withdrawing from UO, but good luck everyone! You are making a good choice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”