University of Oregon Law Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ShelleyVA

New

Re: University of Oregon Law

Post by ShelleyVA » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:24 pm

flynhawaiian wrote:I think if I was you in this situation and I knew she was going to be at uo for a fact I would go to LC or another school. You really don't need that extra pressure in law school of hoping and wondering if things are going to work out. How are you going to feel if she's dating someone else in your class. Just smells like a horrible situation, that you don't need ruining your future.
+ 1 billion. The dating someone else thing is an excellent point. How well do you anticipate being able to focus on getting your work done if you're miserably thinking about how you saw her out with someone else the night before? Eugene is a small town. If you don't end up getting back together and she starts seeing someone else, the changes of you having to personally witness them together are quite high.

(Edit: But congrats on your acceptances anyway!!)

chromylchloride

New

Post by chromylchloride » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:14 pm

ShelleyVA wrote:
flynhawaiian wrote:I think if I was you in this situation and I knew she was going to be at uo for a fact I would go to LC or another school. You really don't need that extra pressure in law school of hoping and wondering if things are going to work out. How are you going to feel if she's dating someone else in your class. Just smells like a horrible situation, that you don't need ruining your future.
+ 1 billion. The dating someone else thing is an excellent point. How well do you anticipate being able to focus on getting your work done if you're miserably thinking about how you saw her out with someone else the night before? Eugene is a small town. If you don't end up getting back together and she starts seeing someone else, the changes of you having to personally witness them together are quite high.

(Edit: But congrats on your acceptances anyway!!)
very, very true. I dunno why I still think about it...but yeah, I'm trying to not let this influence my decision at all. trying. Thanks though, very excited and can't wait to start, wherever I end up. I just wish I knew where I wanted to end up in the long run.

What about quality of education at these schools? Not in terms of regional job placement, but how these schools rank up with each other on their own terms (if that makes sense). I'm not going to law school solely for the purpose of becoming a bigshot lawyer, but for the legal training I will put myself through, and quality of education I will recieve.

flynhawaiian

New

Post by flynhawaiian » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:38 pm

I would like to believe that they all have a "quality" education. Any school can really only show you the door and it's up to you to further your learning beyond that. I visited all of the school's and they all have there own unique teaching styles, I guess that's what makes them all different. Like with everyone else, you need to go where you are going to feel the most comfortable, where you are going to be able to focus the most, etc....

With that said, I believe the ex does factor in the equation. IE, stay away from that school. If it's meant to be it's meant to be and a long distance relationship will work out. For example, portland to eugene is only a 2 hour drive, even seattle to eugene is only 5 hours. The scary part of that is you guys have broken up at least once, neither of you needs the extra pressure of feeling the other one will end the relationship at a spur of a hat, if you got back together. Then if you broke up a second time, I think you get the idea of where things can end up if you walk them through. You really only have one chance to pick a school, sure you can transfer but if depression or anything hits and your grades suffer it makes it even harder. SUCKIE SUCKIE SUCKIE position!

Just my 2 cents, I feel your pain and it's unfair that this should have the extra pressure for your decision.

TolentinoCifar

New

Post by TolentinoCifar » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:40 pm

Dear All,

I applied to both Lewis and Clark and University of Oregon in February.

I am white male, 164, 3.33.

Any thoughts on what my expectations should be regarding acceptance/scholarships?

Thanks

radical4peace

New

Post by radical4peace » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:18 pm

TolentinoCifar wrote:Dear All,

I applied to both Lewis and Clark and University of Oregon in February.

I am white male, 164, 3.33.

Any thoughts on what my expectations should be regarding acceptance/scholarships?

Thanks
When did you go complete for these schools? I would expect acceptances (no doubt) to both of these schools, but scholarships at this point in the game could be iffy. L&C was runnin low even a month or so ago and it looked like they were (maybe) only giving money to people with very high numbers. U of O I don't know much about but they might throw a little money your way?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lotario de Conti

New

Post by Lotario de Conti » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:38 pm

It's good to see such a lively and informative thread for Oregon. I only applied in February and went complete 1 March, so am in for a bit of a wait (only increased by living in London atm), but Oregon is very appealing based on cost, quality of life and the natural beauty of the state.

My only real concern is career prospects. How are others grappling with that, if they are grappling with that?

JMC

New

Post by JMC » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Lotario de Conti wrote:It's good to see such a lively and informative thread for Oregon. I only applied in February and went complete 1 March, so am in for a bit of a wait (only increased by living in London atm), but Oregon is very appealing based on cost, quality of life and the natural beauty of the state.

My only real concern is career prospects. How are others grappling with that, if they are grappling with that?
I would guess that most people going here aren't that concerned with landing a big law job, considering they only place about 5% in the NLJ 250. If you're not worried about that and you are interested in staying in the West, I think Oregon is a great option. Despite what you might hear, I think Oregon travels fairly well in the West and Mt. West areas (I knew a couple of Oregon alum in Utah when I lived there).

TolentinoCifar

New

Post by TolentinoCifar » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Found out today from UO
Like many other posters, got $2,000, a drop in the bucket compared to other scholarships I have been offered.

I applied as out of state, making it worse.

I'd love to go to school in Eugene though, family housing, cheap rent, subsidized daycare.

Don't know if I can change my fate.

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:50 pm

Has anyone received their invite to admitted students day? Or have any idea what the schedule is going to look like? I have to work that day, so obviously I need to talk to my boss about it, but I wish there was some sort of schedule posted as to what time activities begin/end.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:58 pm

ShelleyVA wrote:Has anyone received their invite to admitted students day? Or have any idea what the schedule is going to look like? I have to work that day, so obviously I need to talk to my boss about it, but I wish there was some sort of schedule posted as to what time activities begin/end.
I haven't gotten anything in the mail, but on the online forum, it says the event is 1-5pm. You're supposed to RSVP if you can come; I emailed last week to do so. My guess is that the information will be in the mail soon, though.

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:03 pm

kimber1028 wrote:
ShelleyVA wrote:Has anyone received their invite to admitted students day? Or have any idea what the schedule is going to look like? I have to work that day, so obviously I need to talk to my boss about it, but I wish there was some sort of schedule posted as to what time activities begin/end.
I haven't gotten anything in the mail, but on the online forum, it says the event is 1-5pm. You're supposed to RSVP if you can come; I emailed last week to do so. My guess is that the information will be in the mail soon, though.
K, I've RSVPed.

rlktntdrmr

New

Post by rlktntdrmr » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:39 am

Accepted today and got $5000. Applied out of state. Oregon seems really appealing but I don't know; the idea of leaving CA has always been somewhat difficult. Anyway, still have a few schools to hear from.

BTW, anyone have any first hand experience about Eugene?

Lotario de Conti

New

Post by Lotario de Conti » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:14 am

In with $5,000 as well, out of state. Cannot make the ASD but will be visiting in the beginning of April. Also, what a nice letter from the admissions office - really hits the spot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:05 pm

rlktntdrmr wrote:Accepted today and got $5000. Applied out of state. Oregon seems really appealing but I don't know; the idea of leaving CA has always been somewhat difficult. Anyway, still have a few schools to hear from.

I went there for 3 years in UG and ShelleyVA has lived there for about 6 years, I think. I have family there now, so I spend a lot of time in the Eugene area. Any specific questions? I'll do my best to answer, and she might chime in at some point.

icarter

Bronze

Post by icarter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:04 pm

kimber1028 wrote:
rlktntdrmr wrote:Accepted today and got $5000. Applied out of state. Oregon seems really appealing but I don't know; the idea of leaving CA has always been somewhat difficult. Anyway, still have a few schools to hear from.

I went there for 3 years in UG and ShelleyVA has lived there for about 6 years, I think. I have family there now, so I spend a lot of time in the Eugene area. Any specific questions? I'll do my best to answer, and she might chime in at some point.
I'm also currently living here (4 years) but am moving in a few months to Colorado for LS. Feel free to PM me with any questions or post here.

Lotario de Conti

New

Post by Lotario de Conti » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:19 pm

Can anyone with knowledge comment on potential housing in and around Eugene for a single student? I'm sure that living off campus is significantly cheaper than in university apartments, but since I would be moving from abroad (were I to attend) it may not be easy to arrange roommates, rent, leases and all that stuff. Thanks in advance!

wickedzeus

New

Post by wickedzeus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:43 pm

in today with $2000 scholarship

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

icarter

Bronze

Post by icarter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:11 pm

Lotario de Conti wrote:Can anyone with knowledge comment on potential housing in and around Eugene for a single student? I'm sure that living off campus is significantly cheaper than in university apartments, but since I would be moving from abroad (were I to attend) it may not be easy to arrange roommates, rent, leases and all that stuff. Thanks in advance!

Depending on what you are looking for and how much you are looking to spend, there are a lot of options. Do you have a price range in mind? Are you looking for an apartment complex, a roomshare or renting a house? Let me know and I'll pass along what I know!

Lotario de Conti

New

Post by Lotario de Conti » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:43 pm

icarter wrote:
Lotario de Conti wrote:Can anyone with knowledge comment on potential housing in and around Eugene for a single student? I'm sure that living off campus is significantly cheaper than in university apartments, but since I would be moving from abroad (were I to attend) it may not be easy to arrange roommates, rent, leases and all that stuff. Thanks in advance!

Depending on what you are looking for and how much you are looking to spend, there are a lot of options. Do you have a price range in mind? Are you looking for an apartment complex, a roomshare or renting a house? Let me know and I'll pass along what I know!
I would be looking at affordability and convenience (mixed with pleasantness!) more than anything. Actually, I guess my two main questions are: (1) are there enough readily available rentals (shared or otherwise) that can undercut university apartments (singles studios being 500-650s/month) and make hunting quite easy; and (2) how is housing generally in Eugene, specifically to someone from out of the area. Not very specific, but at this point I don't know enough to be specific about.

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:09 pm

Honestly, I would suggest you check out the Eugene housing section on Craigslist (http://eugene.craigslist.org/apa/) to get a feel for what rentals are like in Eugene. Most students move back to town at the end of August/beginning of September, but many of them line up their leases before they depart for the summer. I've found that the sooner you look, the better luck you'll have.

sts45

New

Post by sts45 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:28 am

I never received a user name/pw to log onto the admitted students site. Maybe I have, but I'm studying abroad, and my parents never passed it onto me. I did, however, receive a student ID number. What exactly do I need to get onto the admitted site, and how do I go about doing it? Thanks! :o

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lotario de Conti

New

Post by Lotario de Conti » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:39 am

sts45 wrote:I never received a user name/pw to log onto the admitted students site. Maybe I have, but I'm studying abroad, and my parents never passed it onto me. I did, however, receive a student ID number. What exactly do I need to get onto the admitted site, and how do I go about doing it? Thanks! :o
The site says they will email us the user name and password, hopefully soon! If I may ask sts45, where are you studying abroad? Have you found it affecting your mailings much?

sts45

New

Post by sts45 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:24 am

Yeah, I'm anxious to get the info so that I can check out the computer package which they have put together. I'm excited about that they support Mac along with Dell. That makes a transition a lot more tempting for me.

I'm interning in London, but I have all of my mail being forwarded to my parents. So, each night my parents do me the favor of giving me the good or bad news. I have a friend here who is also applying to law school, and he complains that the mail is taking too long to arrive in London. So, he is changing going to have it forwarded to his parents also.

marcy3po

New

Post by marcy3po » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Hey all,

I'm over in Boston and trying to decide between UO and L&C. Anyone have any input. I already have a thread on this if you could help out.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ewis+clark

Thanks

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:03 am

Withdrew today - hope a TLSer gets off the waitlist!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”