University of Oregon Law Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sias

Bronze

Re: University of Oregon Law

Post by Sias » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:04 pm

usuaggie wrote:
usuaggie wrote:I need opinions. I don't want to live at home, but I can go to UNLV for 17,000 a yr and free room and board living with my dad. It will likely be that way for a year, then I will be paying rent and married. Probably.

or

I can go to Oregon (if I ever get in) for the 30,000 a year plus rent all three years.

I want to work in Cali, Washington, Oregon, Utah, AZ, NV in that order. As you can see, UNLV is not the best job placement for me.

I already have 40,000 in loans for undergrad. I probably won't get a scholarship to UO (159/3.32 and no ties to oregon).

What say Ye?
somebody anybody
It's difficult for anyone to advise you on what appears to be a very significant and personal life decision here: which school do you want more? I don't think the difference in price is so great that you're restricted from choosing the school you like best, but then again, price, as with all things, is relative.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:40 pm

If you REALLY want to live in Oregon, it may be worth it. But the price is definitely scary, expecially with your debt load. If you want to work in CA, why not go to a CA school?

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:03 pm

yo! wrote:If you REALLY want to live in Oregon, it may be worth it. But the price is definitely scary, expecially with your debt load. If you want to work in CA, why not go to a CA school?

because THAT much debt isn't worth it. I got into pacific and san fran, but my cheapest option would be around 40,000 a yr still.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:23 pm

usuaggie wrote:
yo! wrote:If you REALLY want to live in Oregon, it may be worth it. But the price is definitely scary, expecially with your debt load. If you want to work in CA, why not go to a CA school?

because THAT much debt isn't worth it. I got into pacific and san fran, but my cheapest option would be around 40,000 a yr still.
Yeah true, but I thought I remembered you getting some kind of scholarship @ McG...... The top 33 requirement is a little scary though. Your best bet is probably UNLV, but it really doesn't seem like you want to go there (based on your other posts that I have seen). Attending a school that you don't like in a city where you don't want to live doesn't seem like a good idea either. Truth be told, I would much rather go to UO, but I will probably attend UNLV due to financial reasons (I actually like UNLV though, so its not too big of a deal). Have you considered retaking and reapplying next cycle?

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:19 pm

yo! wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

Yeah true, but I thought I remembered you getting some kind of scholarship @ McG...... The top 33 requirement is a little scary though. Your best bet is probably UNLV, but it really doesn't seem like you want to go there (based on your other posts that I have seen). Attending a school that you don't like in a city where you don't want to live doesn't seem like a good idea either. Truth be told, I would much rather go to UO, but I will probably attend UNLV due to financial reasons (I actually like UNLV though, so its not too big of a deal). Have you considered retaking and reapplying next cycle?
Yeah, but I am not going to do that. By staying in school, I postpone my loan repayment until I get a "real" job. I think I will go to UO if I get ANY sort of money at all.

In a slightly related tangent, what is the deal with grants? I got 3,000 a yr from my undergrad university but all I am being offered from law schools are loans. This normal?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:13 pm

I also got a lot more grant money in UG than UO is offering, so I'd imagine that this is normal...

Oregon only offered me loans and work study. I'm not sure how this works in LS. Hopefully its like a paperwork job or something, because its only like 2k a year! If its vacuuming the floors or something for 5/hr, I'd rather just pay the extra cash and get a job like my current one that pays 35/hr (live sound tech.) I've never done fed work study before so I don't even know how it works. I make 2k in a month right now working like 15 hours a week. It would suck to have all of the time commitment of a job, but only make 2k in a full year!

citrus2010

New

Post by citrus2010 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am

no government grants for law school. I got a lot for undergrad, but no such luck in the big leagues! just schollys, loans, and private funding.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:24 am

kswiss wrote:I also got a lot more grant money in UG than UO is offering, so I'd imagine that this is normal...

Oregon only offered me loans and work study. I'm not sure how this works in LS. Hopefully its like a paperwork job or something, because its only like 2k a year! If its vacuuming the floors or something for 5/hr, I'd rather just pay the extra cash and get a job like my current one that pays 35/hr (live sound tech.) I've never done fed work study before so I don't even know how it works. I make 2k in a month right now working like 15 hours a week. It would suck to have all of the time commitment of a job, but only make 2k in a full year!
I can tell you a little bit about work study here at Oregon. Personally, I rejected mine this year because I wasn't interested in working 1L. I do know a couple of kids who kept it - one works in the library and one is a research assistant. Work study is great for 2L year, though, because that's what pays for RA jobs and tutor positions. For instance, it's pretty much required that you have work study to be a tutor, and it's a really good opportunity. You can also get a job on the undergrad campus like a Graduate Teaching Fellow or something if you want. If anything, though, you'll get a desk job - no need to worry about vacuuming the floors!

As far as the actual amount goes, you still get an hourly wage (most stuff at the law school is about $10-$12 an hour) and I don't think the work study actually has to cover the entire term, though I'm not 100% sure. When I verify that info, I'll let you know - it's not anywhere on the FWS site or the school financial aid site, so I'm going to have to ask or find it elsewhere.

Sunflower

New

Post by Sunflower » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:28 pm

What is the curve like at Oregon?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:59 pm

I think I just read that its like 3.3 or something. I don't think it matters that much because to keep your scholly you just need to keep a C average, meaning you just have to pass your classes to keep it.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:50 pm

kswiss wrote:
Sunflower wrote:What's the curve like at Oregon?
I think I just read that its like 3.3 or something. I don't think it matters that much because to keep your scholly you just need to keep a C average, meaning you just have to pass your classes to keep it.
3.3 would be awesome, lol. The curve for first-year classes is a 2.7-3.0. Second- and third-year classes are mostly uncurved, though some of the bar courses stick to the same curve as first-year classes. Median for 1Ls at the end of spring semester last year was approx. a 2.9.

hans3n

Bronze

Post by hans3n » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:11 pm

So who else besides me is going to Admitted Students Day? I know there were a few who said they were, but they were mostly scattered between various posts. The admissions office said they would be sending out info on ASD possibly Monday via email.

Bluesickle

New

Post by Bluesickle » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:55 pm

hans3n wrote:So who else besides me is going to Admitted Students Day? I know there were a few who said they were, but they were mostly scattered between various posts. The admissions office said they would be sending out info on ASD possibly Monday via email.
I just received confirmation that they have my deposit, so I'll defiantly be there.

Can't wait to meet some of you guys in person!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:17 pm

I'll be there.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm thinking about withdrawing all of my pendings and WLs and going for broke with UO.

The Northwest is where I wanted to end up, and although I applied to SU, USF, and L&C along the way, my heart is much more set on a larger state school in a more rural college town setting, rather than a smaller private one in a metroplex.

I doubt it would do much good (but then again, could it hurt?), but it's what I really feel like doing.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:33 pm

DonnyMost wrote:I'm thinking about withdrawing all of my pendings and WLs and going for broke with UO.

The Northwest is where I wanted to end up, and although I applied to SU, USF, and L&C along the way, my heart is much more set on a larger state school in a more rural college town setting, rather than a smaller private one in a metroplex.

I doubt it would do much good (but then again, could it hurt?), but it's what I really feel like doing.
I'm in nearly the same boat. I want to hear from WUSTL first, but I'm pretty sure that I would prefer the experience at UO over L&C, even though L&C seems to have a slight advantage in Portland. I'm coming from a large state school which I really enjoyed, so I don't know how well I'd adapt to that small L&C campus. I do like Portland though...

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:35 pm

kimber1028 wrote:
kswiss wrote:I also got a lot more grant money in UG than UO is offering, so I'd imagine that this is normal...

I can tell you a little bit about work study here at Oregon. Personally, I rejected mine this year because I wasn't interested in working 1L. I do know a couple of kids who kept it - one works in the library and one is a research assistant. Work study is great for 2L year, though, because that's what pays for RA jobs and tutor positions. For instance, it's pretty much required that you have work study to be a tutor, and it's a really good opportunity. You can also get a job on the undergrad campus like a Graduate Teaching Fellow or something if you want. If anything, though, you'll get a desk job - no need to worry about vacuuming the floors!

As far as the actual amount goes, you still get an hourly wage (most stuff at the law school is about $10-$12 an hour) and I don't think the work study actually has to cover the entire term, though I'm not 100% sure. When I verify that info, I'll let you know - it's not anywhere on the FWS site or the school financial aid site, so I'm going to have to ask or find it elsewhere.
Sweet. Thanks for the response.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

davipatr

New

Post by davipatr » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:02 pm

usuaggie wrote:
yo! wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

Yeah, but I am not going to do that. By staying in school, I postpone my loan repayment until I get a "real" job. I think I will go to UO if I get ANY sort of money at all.

In a slightly related tangent, what is the deal with grants? I got 3,000 a yr from my undergrad university but all I am being offered from law schools are loans. This normal?
If you can stand Vegas (I absolutely cannot) UNLV would be a really good choice. That law school is growing up very fast, it's only like 8 or 9 years old and already moving up the rankings by like ten spots per year. There are several large firms in Vegas who are starting to hire heavily out of the school. My father-in-law has a firm in vegas and so I have been able to get a really good picture of the legal industry in Vegas. There are a lot of really nice jobs, and if you are mormon, which I sense you are, there are a few large firms with over half the partners who are lds, Alverson, Taylor is one, Hutchison Steffen is another, Albright Stoddard, and the list goes on) I hate vegas otherwise I would go to UNLV in a heartbeat beacuse those firms pay very well, and the prospects are really good, plus most of those big firms have ties to some of the biggest firms on the west coase. Bullivant Houser Bailey for instance, has an office in the Howard Hughes Parkway.
I would go to UNLV if I were you. Your prospects coming out of there will be pretty good, I can't speak about any other place, but if you go to Oregon, I will see you there. Just please don't wear that shirt.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:51 pm

davipatr wrote:If you REALLY want to live in Oregon, it may be
If you can stand Vegas (I absolutely cannot) UNLV would be a really good choice. That law school is growing up very fast, it's only like 8 or 9 years old and already moving up the rankings by like ten spots per year. There are several large firms in Vegas who are starting to hire heavily out of the school. My father-in-law has a firm in vegas and so I have been able to get a really good picture of the legal industry in Vegas. There are a lot of really nice jobs, and if you are mormon, which I sense you are, there are a few large firms with over half the partners who are lds, Alverson, Taylor is one, Hutchison Steffen is another, Albright Stoddard, and the list goes on) I hate vegas otherwise I would go to UNLV in a heartbeat beacuse those firms pay very well, and the prospects are really good, plus most of those big firms have ties to some of the biggest firms on the west coase. Bullivant Houser Bailey for instance, has an office in the Howard Hughes Parkway.
I would go to UNLV if I were you. Your prospects coming out of there will be pretty good, I can't speak about any other place, but if you go to Oregon, I will see you there. Just please don't wear that shirt.
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

those are good points. I'm still not sure. I dont know if I will even get into Oregon. And I don't own the shirt. That is not me in the pic, is is ken jennings from jeopardy. I just hate byu more than any school/team/anything, really.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:52 pm

usuaggie wrote:

those are good points. I'm still not sure. I dont know if I will even get into Oregon. And I don't own the shirt. That is not me in the pic, is is ken jennings from jeopardy. I just hate byu more than any school/team/anything, really.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:21 am

usuaggie wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

Why the BYU hate? I always thought the other Utah schools only hated BYU in the way that a little brother hates his older brother :wink: Any specific reason for the hate?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KraftEZ

New

Post by KraftEZ » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:30 am

kswiss wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:I'm thinking about withdrawing all of my pendings and WLs and going for broke with UO.

I'm in nearly the same boat. I want to hear from WUSTL first, but I'm pretty sure that I would prefer the experience at UO over L&C, even though L&C seems to have a slight advantage in Portland. I'm coming from a large state school which I really enjoyed, so I don't know how well I'd adapt to that small L&C campus. I do like Portland though...
I was in the same boat. I've been in Eugene all throughout high school and went to undergrad at the UofO for another 4 years. You could say I bleed green and yellow. I love the big college feel and the Ducks are my passion. I was accepted to UofO Law granting me another 3 years and I thought that I wanted nothing more than this. I was accepted to many other schools (such as USF, L&C, Seattle, Kent, Loyola...) but UofO felt right.

But I went and visited L&C during the ATD preview and afterwards for some personal one-on-one. Being a big-college town kid myself, I never thought I'd be sold but I am. L&C does everything better IMO. I've had plenty counseling and tours at the UofO law school and comparatively I thought that L&C was that much better.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:25 am

yo! wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

Why the BYU hate? I always thought the other Utah schools only hated BYU in the way that a little brother hates his older brother :wink: Any specific reason for the hate?
because their students say things like that! haha and BYU fans always had the worst sportsmanship when they came to play UNLV when I was growing up. Now that I'm at USU, I see the same thing. I know I couldn't get into BYU with my numbers, but I'd pay UNLV or Oregon out of pocket before I'd go to BYU on a scholarship.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:27 am

KraftEZ wrote:
kswiss wrote:

I was in the same boat. I've been in Eugene all throughout high school and went to undergrad at the UofO for another 4 years. You could say I bleed green and yellow. I love the big college feel and the Ducks are my passion. I was accepted to UofO Law granting me another 3 years and I thought that I wanted nothing more than this. I was accepted to many other schools (such as USF, L&C, Seattle, Kent, Loyola...) but UofO felt right.

But I went and visited L&C during the ATD preview and afterwards for some personal one-on-one. Being a big-college town kid myself, I never thought I'd be sold but I am. L&C does everything better IMO. I've had plenty counseling and tours at the UofO law school and comparatively I thought that L&C was that much better.
Wow, they must be A LOT better to change your mind that much. I'll gladly take your spot at UO though, so don't you worry. I'll keep your chair warm.

hannibalhamlin61

New

Post by hannibalhamlin61 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:37 am

I heard that the UofO was trying to mail out all notifications by April 1st. Does anyone know if they actually hit this target? (for those that were still pending). They don't seem to answer the phone this time of year...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”