University of Washington Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalydscopeeyes

New

Re: University of Washington

Post by kalydscopeeyes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:37 am

HOLY SHIT. I got an acceptance letter today in the mail (I was one of the only ones I think whose changed to Decision 2/24 and 2/25 back and forth...). I am SO EXCITED. I think this is my #1 choice. I thought it was a longshot! It came in a small envelope (which my boyfriend already opened! grrr) and I thought it was a rejection. He tried to keep a straight face as the first word I saw was Congratulations! I freaked out.

I'm not particularly religious, but I'm suspecting divine intervention here... lol.

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:49 am

kalydscopeeyes wrote:HOLY SHIT. I got an acceptance letter today in the mail (I was one of the only ones I think whose changed to Decision 2/24 and 2/25 back and forth...). I am SO EXCITED. I think this is my #1 choice. I thought it was a longshot! It came in a small envelope (which my boyfriend already opened! grrr) and I thought it was a rejection. He tried to keep a straight face as the first word I saw was Congratulations! I freaked out.

I'm not particularly religious, but I'm suspecting divine intervention here... lol.
Congratulations! Save some of that voodoo magic for the rest of us!

kalydscopeeyes

New

Post by kalydscopeeyes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:10 am

Thanks Marmot! :) I am sending good luck vibrations your way!

PS: I saw you did Americorps in your profile, what'd you do? My boyfriend is working with Big Brothers Big Sisters through it now and honestly, though the stipend is meager, I think he may end up doing it for a second year because there really aren't any other jobs out there, especially with the loan forbearance and health care!

pedal

New

Post by pedal » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:12 pm

kalydscopeeyes wrote:HOLY SHIT. I got an acceptance letter today in the mail (I was one of the only ones I think whose changed to Decision 2/24 and 2/25 back and forth...). I am SO EXCITED. I think this is my #1 choice. I thought it was a longshot! It came in a small envelope (which my boyfriend already opened! grrr) and I thought it was a rejection. He tried to keep a straight face as the first word I saw was Congratulations! I freaked out.

Congrats, kalydscope! That's fantastic! Have a great day!

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:30 pm

kalydscopeeyes wrote:Thanks Marmot! :) I am sending good luck vibrations your way!

PS: I saw you did Americorps in your profile, what'd you do? My boyfriend is working with Big Brothers Big Sisters through it now and honestly, though the stipend is meager, I think he may end up doing it for a second year because there really aren't any other jobs out there, especially with the loan forbearance and health care!
I was in the City Year program in Columbia, SC and did a lot of speaking on behalf of the organization, in addition to the usual educational service. One year was enough for me, but I'm glad I did it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:09 am

Congratulations!! I know how much you want UW so it must feel great.

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:55 pm

So I called UofW today to check on the status of my file. They said that the admissions process is in the "committee" stage which should last until April 1. This was the explanation for the continuing "in-review" status that have plagued many of us on the board, whether it has changed dates or remained the same.

I'll be crossing my fingers for everyone here.

bruiser428

New

Post by bruiser428 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:16 pm

Rsrcht wrote:So I called UofW today to check on the status of my file. They said that the admissions process is in the "committee" stage which should last until April 1. This was the explanation for the continuing "in-review" status that have plagued many of us on the board, whether it has changed dates or remained the same.

Thanks for sharing the info. Not knowing is wreaking havoc on my school visiting plans...

rwong11

New

Post by rwong11 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Rsrcht wrote:So I called UofW today to check on the status of my file. They said that the admissions process is in the "committee" stage which should last until April 1. This was the explanation for the continuing "in-review" status that have plagued many of us on the board, whether it has changed dates or remained the same.

Thanks for the info. Does this mean that if we're still in review and in committee, we've at least passed the initial hurdle? That is, the first application-reader?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:36 pm

rwong11 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Does this mean that if we're still in review and in committee, we've at least passed the initial hurdle? That is, the first application-reader?
I've no idea. But I think it is a fair assumption to make until you receive something in the mail. They gave me the impression that it was the last stage, so the remaining few have passed through at least one hurdle. They've sent out most of acceptance and denial letters, now it's down to the details.

Sannerbr

New

Post by Sannerbr » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:54 pm

I cannot believe how long it is taking for UW to get back. I think they are just toying with me. Holding out to the last minute just to deal a life crushing denial. Wow. This whole ordeal might be getting to me. Is there anybody out there who had a complete date after 12/31 and has gotten a response? #'S?

pedal

New

Post by pedal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:07 pm

Sannerbr wrote:I cannot believe how long it is taking for UW to get back. I think they are just toying with me. Holding out to the last minute just to deal a life crushing denial. Wow. This whole ordeal might be getting to me. Is there anybody out there who had a complete date after 12/31 and has gotten a response? #'S?
+1
This is brutal. I applied 1/14. If I don't get what I want from this year's cycle I will definitely be applying early next year (after retaking the LSAT and actually spending more than a few weeks preparing for it!). I had no idea how stressful applying to law school was going to be! All this waiting! Argh!

I wish I wasn't so close to a computer all day. Status checkers be damned!

scienara

New

Post by scienara » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:42 pm

Yup. Me, applied 1/12, complete 1/21, accepted 2/3.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:43 pm

I sat in on a contracts class today. It was interesting, but I was disappointed to see about half the class browsing the internet instead of taking notes. Easier competition, I suppose.

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:42 pm

Fup wrote:I sat in on a contracts class today. It was interesting, but I was disappointed to see about half the class browsing the internet instead of taking notes. Easier competition, I suppose.
LOL I think you will get that anywhere. I took a law class at Michigan 2 years ago and it was the same way.

pubintrst

New

Post by pubintrst » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:08 pm

tralinds wrote:
Fup wrote:I sat in on a contracts class today. It was interesting, but I was disappointed to see about half the class browsing the internet instead of taking notes. Easier competition, I suppose.
LOL I think you will get that anywhere. I took a law class at Michigan 2 years ago and it was the same way.
Yep, I visited Wustl on a Monday and sat next to a guy who was obsessively checking his fantasy football stats. And at University of Chicago there was rampant solitaire playing.

I was pretty dismissive of these people at first. Indignant that the solitaire players would claim a seat at one of the schools which I could only hope to get into. And I still feel that way a bit, but they're human too. And perhaps I have no idea what it is like to have a brain that can score 172+ on the lsat. Maybe there's just so much leftover brain power you actually can listen to the lecture while playing solitaire.

They did have a knack for all stopping at the same time, busting out some 80 word per minute notes, during what must have been an important point of the lecture, and then going back to solitaire seamlessly. It was kind of beautiful. This strange multi-tasking dance.

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Did anyone who's been accepted (and did the financial aid application) get an e-mail asking for additional documents? From everything I understood all they wanted was the FAFSA, but now they are asking for signed tax returns and an additional form.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:38 pm

Fup wrote:Did anyone who's been accepted (and did the financial aid application) get an e-mail asking for additional documents? From everything I understood all they wanted was the FAFSA, but now they are asking for signed tax returns and an additional form.
Not yet anyway, I wonder what that means?

_mel_

New

Post by _mel_ » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:51 pm

My status says "in review" as of 2/24/09. Has anyone received acceptance/denial letters so far that had this date?

This is tweaking me out...

Also, am I really LOOKING for a small envelope? That seems so backwards.

pedal

New

Post by pedal » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:02 pm

_mel_ wrote:My status says "in review" as of 2/24/09. Has anyone received acceptance/denial letters so far that had this date?

In other words...we have some waiting to do.

kalydscopeeyes

New

Post by kalydscopeeyes » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:22 pm

_mel_ wrote:My status says "in review" as of 2/24/09. Has anyone received acceptance/denial letters so far that had this date?

I was accepted with that date... I think it changed to Decision 2/25 then back to 2/24 but still Decision.

It was a small envelope which really messed with me. hahaha.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pubintrst

New

Post by pubintrst » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:21 pm

pedal wrote:

In other words...we have some waiting to do.
I took the information relayed by Rsrcht, to mean the committee phase will end by early April. That tells us nothing about when decisions will be released. I believe the "committee phase" is just synonymous with their decision making process and runs from Jan 15 through early April.

All along they have maintained that all decision will be made by early April if possible, so for what it's worth I think they'll be meting out decisions over the next month and will have the process complete by early April.

Does anyone know differently? Is the committee phase a different decision process than they have been using to date?

greatergood

New

Post by greatergood » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:33 pm

Sannerbr wrote:I cannot believe how long it is taking for UW to get back. I think they are just toying with me. Holding out to the last minute just to deal a life crushing denial. Wow. This whole ordeal might be getting to me. Is there anybody out there who had a complete date after 12/31 and has gotten a response? #'S?
Yup.
It only took them a minute to reject me.
Complete 1/5.
Letter Dated 2/10.
Not really surprised.

3.1/163
Non traditional (7 years out)

OK. Now I'm done w/ the UW forum, just wanted to pass along news as I know y'all are freaking out.

csc2law

New

Post by csc2law » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:33 pm

My application is still "in review" as well. FWIW, I scheduled a campus visit for around April 1 and the Admissions Supervisor said there should be a decision by then.

-csc2law

pedal

New

Post by pedal » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:40 pm

pubintrst wrote: I took the information relayed by Rsrcht, to mean the committee phase will end by early April. That tells us nothing about when decisions will be released. I believe the "committee phase" is just synonymous with their decision making process and runs from Jan 15 through early April.

All along they have maintained that all decision will be made by early April if possible, so for what it's worth I think they'll be meting out decisions over the next month and will have the process complete by early April.

Does anyone know differently? Is the committee phase a different decision process than they have been using to date?
I'm not convinced that the "committee phase" referred to above is the same admissions process. Here's why (from the Gates PSL scholarship FAQ):

Is it possible that I could be admitted to the J.D. program at the UW School of Law, but not in time for my Gates PSL Scholarship application to be reviewed?
Yes. Whether or not your Gates PSL Scholarship application is reviewed by the Selection Committee depends on when you’re admitted to the J.D. program at the UW School of Law. For example, if your J.D. application file is sent to the Admissions Committee for a secondary review, you may still be accepted into the J.D. program, but not in time for the Gates PSL Scholarship Selection Committee to review your scholarship application. This occurs rarely, but it can happen. If your acceptance into the J.D. program comes too late for your Gates PSL Scholarship application to be reviewed, someone from the Gates PSL Program Office will inform you via e-mail.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”