IN at Lewis & Clark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Whitty

Bronze

Re: IN at Lewis & Clark

Post by Whitty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:13 am

lbeezy wrote:I feel like they're big teases.

Practical Skills booklet? Check.

Anything else? NOT CHECK
Ditto beez, my mailbox is not feeling the love. :(

DizzeeRascal

New

Post by DizzeeRascal » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:21 am

Anything else? NOT CHECK
yeah i got a calendar, practical skills book, etc. my question is still: has any one who has been deferred also received a practical skills book, prior to being deferred?

Maybe they are actually taking personal statements in to account, as the numbers seem to make no sense thus far :shock:

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:25 am

DizzeeRascal wrote:

Anything else? NOT CHECK
yeah i got a calendar, practical skills book, etc. my question is still: has any one who has been deferred also received a practical skills book, prior to being deferred?

Maybe they are actually taking personal statements in to account, as the numbers seem to make no sense thus far :shock:
that's impossible

IpunchedCharlieRose

New

Post by IpunchedCharlieRose » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:26 am

Calendar? I didn't get a calendar.

EscapingIndiana

New

Post by EscapingIndiana » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:41 am

I'm totally going to get deferred with a 158/3.40. If anything is swinging my way it's the biochemistry major and the fact that pretty much everything I did in college was related to the environment - and I now work at an environmental non-profit.

Otherwise, I feel a big let-down from L&C coming on.

Remember: Plenty of people with high numbers will go for better schools and space/money will open up later on. Lots of people with LSATs below 160 got in after being wait-listed.

My question is: Is L&C worth it with little to no scholarship money? Three years in a national park in Portland sounds almost irresistible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emilyadi

New

Post by emilyadi » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:45 am

DizzeeRascal wrote:

Anything else? NOT CHECK

I got the practical skills book before I was deferred :) 158, 3.62

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:03 am

I got the practical skills booklet beforehand as well.

hopeforthebest

New

Post by hopeforthebest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:08 am

kimber1028 wrote:I got the practical skills booklet beforehand as well.
+1

newcritic

New

Post by newcritic » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:10 am

As a friend of mine from undergraduate might have said: "These nondecision mailings are so BEAT!"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

boone

New

Post by boone » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:15 am

AhHaHaHa. Your friend used a marijuana reference to characterize something that wasn't marijuana. I've never heard anybody do that before.

newcritic

New

Post by newcritic » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:19 am

Sarcasm is the poor man's wit. :lol:

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:27 am

EscapingIndiana wrote:I'm totally going to get deferred with a 158/3.40. If anything is swinging my way it's the biochemistry major and the fact that pretty much everything I did in college was related to the environment - and I now work at an environmental non-profit.

Otherwise, I feel a big let-down from L&C coming on.

Remember: Plenty of people with high numbers will go for better schools and space/money will open up later on. Lots of people with LSATs below 160 got in after being wait-listed.

My question is: Is L&C worth it with little to no scholarship money? Three years in a national park in Portland sounds almost irresistible.
Its not worth full price... Everyone I have known that has graduated form L&C has had a real hard time finding work and for 120k its not worth it... The national park thing is pretty overrated too, I would suggest looking at it... I live in Portland and I would not call it special... In fact I would say its kind of dreary, but thats just my opinion.

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:41 am

TheRyanocerous wrote: Its not worth full price... Everyone I have known that has graduated form L&C has had a real hard time finding work and for 120k its not worth it... The national park thing is pretty overrated too, I would suggest looking at it... I live in Portland and I would not call it special... In fact I would say its kind of dreary, but thats just my opinion.
If you happen to have any insight - what exactly is the status of the legal field in Portland? How high in the class at LC would you have to be to secure employment?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:34 am

emoticons777 wrote:
TheRyanocerous wrote: Its not worth full price... Everyone I have known that has graduated form L&C has had a real hard time finding work and for 120k its not worth it... The national park thing is pretty overrated too, I would suggest looking at it... I live in Portland and I would not call it special... In fact I would say its kind of dreary, but thats just my opinion.
If you happen to have any insight - what exactly is the status of the legal field in Portland? How high in the class at LC would you have to be to secure employment?
I talked to an 05 graduate a month or so ago that is working in a mid sized firm in Portland and what he said was that all his friends had a hard time finding work. He said most of them were employed but it took some time to find a job. He also said he thought it was overpriced... He did say he enjoyed the school however...

lbeezy

Gold

Post by lbeezy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:27 pm

IpunchedCharlieRose wrote:Calendar? I didn't get a calendar.
I call shenanigans. At least give me something more useful than "practical skills". ;)

newcritic

New

Post by newcritic » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:46 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:
emoticons777 wrote:
I talked to an 05 graduate a month or so ago that is working in a mid sized firm in Portland and what he said was that all his friends had a hard time finding work. He said most of them were employed but it took some time to find a job. He also said he thought it was overpriced... He did say he enjoyed the school however...
Does your friend know anything about the comparison between UofO and LC in terms of job prospects? What about UW vs. LC in the Portland area?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:55 pm

lbeezy wrote:
IpunchedCharlieRose wrote:Calendar? I didn't get a calendar.
I call shenanigans. At least give me something more useful than "practical skills". ;)
The calendar is nice. I have it hanging by my desk. Although, I should prob shred it now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AlyoshaKmz

New

Post by AlyoshaKmz » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:06 pm

I got accepted but never received a calendar. Wouldn't read much into it, apparently.

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:25 pm

newcritic wrote:
TheRyanocerous wrote:
emoticons777 wrote:
Does your friend know anything about the comparison between UofO and LC in terms of job prospects? What about UW vs. LC in the Portland area?
I didn’t ask about what he thought of other schools. If you do a Google search for Portland law firms and then look at the lawyers at each firm there tends to be a large group from all over the country and then a fairly substantial group split between U of O and L&C... In the limited research I have done I have not seen a difference between the representation of the 2 schools. Most of the Portland attorneys that I have talked to don’t seem to have a preference for one school over the other, the few that do tend to lean towards U of O because Oregon grads are pretty loyal to their own... From what I have seen U of O might have a slight edge over L&C but if it does it is minor.

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:30 pm

It really comes down to where you want to spend your time... L&C and Oregon are fairly equal in terms of hiring but one is in Eugene and one is in Portland... Oregon will cost around 90k w/o a scholarship 70k with a scholarship, and L&C will cost 120k w/o and 90 with... You have to decide if the location and atmosphere is worth 20 - 50k more... For some people it defiantly is, for me probably not...

newcritic

New

Post by newcritic » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:22 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:It really comes down to where you want to spend your time... L&C and Oregon are fairly equal in terms of hiring but one is in Eugene and one is in Portland... Oregon will cost around 90k w/o a scholarship 70k with a scholarship, and L&C will cost 120k w/o and 90 with... You have to decide if the location and atmosphere is worth 20 - 50k more... For some people it defiantly is, for me probably not...
That's probably because you're a beaver :)

How did you get 90/120k? Is that including cost of living?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:13 pm

newcritic wrote:
TheRyanocerous wrote:It really comes down to where you want to spend your time... L&C and Oregon are fairly equal in terms of hiring but one is in Eugene and one is in Portland... Oregon will cost around 90k w/o a scholarship 70k with a scholarship, and L&C will cost 120k w/o and 90 with... You have to decide if the location and atmosphere is worth 20 - 50k more... For some people it defiantly is, for me probably not...

L&C is 30k for tuition plus 10 or so to live (probably an understatement for living expense)... Oregon is 20k plus 10 to live... 120 and 90... "That's probably because you're a beaver" I was saying I would go to Oregon over L&C because it was not worth the money to me :lol:

newcritic

New

Post by newcritic » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:36 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:
newcritic wrote:

L&C is 30k for tuition plus 10 or so to live (probably an understatement for living expense)... Oregon is 20k plus 10 to live... 120 and 90... "That's probably because you're a beaver" I was saying I would go to Oregon over L&C because it was not worth the money to me :lol:
I visited all three Oregon schools in December and was completely focused/praying on getting into UofO. Of course, I did better than I expected on the LSAT and got into UW, so now I have to reivse my dream a bit. In any case, I definitely like the the facilities and the vibe better at UofO.

DizzeeRascal

New

Post by DizzeeRascal » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:39 pm

L and C was awesome, but i really want to go to a law school that also has an undergrad school so i can make teh sex0r with freshmen girls. So U of O wins in my opinion. And yeah they both seemed comprable in job placement, and UofO is only 45 minutes at most away from portland.

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:44 pm

DizzeeRascal wrote:L and C was awesome, but i really want to go to a law school that also has an undergrad school so i can make teh sex0r with freshmen girls. So U of O wins in my opinion. And yeah they both seemed comprable in job placement, and UofO is only 45 minutes at most away from portland.
doesn't l&c have an ug?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”