In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LawHorn

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by LawHorn » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:32 pm

Does anyone know when the 2nd seat deposit is due?

overprivileged

New

Post by overprivileged » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:35 pm

I just called and asked when full-time waitlisters would receive final decisions. He said "this month through early August." Basically, they might let us know before classes actually start.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:43 pm

memeME wrote:calhoun lofts...anyone know if they still have vacancies
Yes they do. I am going to live there, as are a few other people I've met through TLS. The first 500 people (out of ~750 rooms total) will get some nice perks like free laundry for a year. I don't think they are even close yet though to reaching #500.

BigA is right, they are desperate at this point. No current students wanted to deal with moving again, especially for such a pricey new place. Hit me up if you have any questions.

health

New

Post by health » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:22 am

LawHorn wrote:Does anyone know when the 2nd seat deposit is due?
I do not think there is a second seat deposit (after the initial $200). Hopefully I will be corrected if I am out of the loop.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:30 am

health wrote:
I do not think there is a second seat deposit (after the initial $200). Hopefully I will be corrected if I am out of the loop.
There isn't one that I know of. I'll call tomorrow and confirm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:39 am

eamonbriggs08 wrote:
memeME wrote:calhoun lofts...anyone know if they still have vacancies
Yes they do. I am going to live there, as are a few other people I've met through TLS. The first 500 people (out of ~750 rooms total) will get some nice perks like free laundry for a year. I don't think they are even close yet though to reaching #500.

BigA is right, they are desperate at this point. No current students wanted to deal with moving again, especially for such a pricey new place. Hit me up if you have any questions.
Not really sure why anyone is willing to pay 1k a year in Houston. Have you checked out apartments by Rice Village? Much nicer area with a more bohemian/intellectual crowd. UH is just ghetto. You can just tell by the places to eat on campus: it is all fast food and Chili's. It is flat out nasty.

LawHorn

New

Post by LawHorn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:47 am

health wrote:
That is interesting. How can Houston be certain of their numbers for their incoming class if all that is required is one 200.00 deposit? It seems to me that everyone would pay that.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:40 am

Q: I have sent in my enrollment fee to secure my seat in the UHLC entering class. What happens now?

A: UHLC requires that applicants submit a $200 enrollment fee to secure their space in the class. We do not require a second deposit; however, we will require admitted students to complete an enrollment commitment form in June, indicating their intent to matriculate at UHLC. Additionally, if your email (and mailing) address changes during the summer, you should notify our office. We will be communicating with you throughout the summer via email, and failure to update your email address will result in your missing important emails.

LawHorn

New

Post by LawHorn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:45 am

BigAristotle wrote:Q: I have sent in my enrollment fee to secure my seat in the UHLC entering class. What happens now?

A: UHLC requires that applicants submit a $200 enrollment fee to secure their space in the class. We do not require a second deposit; however, we will require admitted students to complete an enrollment commitment form in June, indicating their intent to matriculate at UHLC. Additionally, if your email (and mailing) address changes during the summer, you should notify our office. We will be communicating with you throughout the summer via email, and failure to update your email address will result in your missing important emails.

That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thiscyclesucks

New

Post by thiscyclesucks » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:54 am

Is the enrollment commitment form binding? How does Houston react to the LSAC new rule about releasing "multiple seat deposit" information to adcomms?

BigAristotle wrote:Q: I have sent in my enrollment fee to secure my seat in the UHLC entering class. What happens now?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:58 am

waitlisted at UH, got the letter last week.

Well I'm going to SMU! best of luck to all of yall

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm

People planning to live in the Calhoun Lofts: I've been told that as long as you still call ahead a couple days, you can actually get your keys from the housing office mid-afternoon on the 12th instead of having to find someone on the morning of the 13th.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:08 pm

thiscyclesucks wrote:Is the enrollment commitment form binding? How does Houston react to the LSAC new rule about releasing "multiple seat deposit" information to adcomms?

I'm assuming it's 'binding'. Nothing to keep you from bailing I suppose. Its the same as every other seat deposit, it is just 0$.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:51 pm

What's the word?
Are there still FT people waiting to hear?
What about PT'ers?

memeME

New

Post by memeME » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:41 pm

still on waitlist...full time...does anyone know when enrollment commitments are due...i would assume waitlist will start moving after that deadline

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:43 pm

memeME wrote:still on waitlist...full time...does anyone know when enrollment commitments are due...i would assume waitlist will start moving after that deadline
Haven't received any notice, emailed adcomms asking with no response yet. Visiting this week, will ask then.

hras

New

Post by hras » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:45 am

G_Girl4098 wrote:What's the word?
What about PT'ers?
fulltime here
waitlisted 4-28
I am no longer waiting
STCL is where I am going
they seem to have it together and the people who work there are very helpful
not to mention the nice ammenities
more expensive but you pay for what you get

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Just got my commitment notice emailed to me. Due (not postmarked, DUE) by June 19th.

kmcquire

New

Post by kmcquire » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:05 pm

kmcquire wrote:
Yayyy! I got my seat back!

congrats
did it take some fancy tap dancing or just old fashion begging?
Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy busy. I just emailed and let them know that sensitive circumstances changed that basically required me to reside in Houston. It wasn't even a problem...at all. I also got all of my grants back and financial aid without a problem.

Still hoping to get off of the waitlist at UTexas though :?

hras

New

Post by hras » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:13 pm

kmcquire wrote:
kmcquire wrote:
Yayyy! I got my seat back!

congrats
did it take some fancy tap dancing or just old fashion begging?
Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy busy. I just emailed and let them know that sensitive circumstances changed that basically required me to reside in Houston. It wasn't even a problem...at all. I also got all of my grants back and financial aid without a problem.

Still hoping to get off of the waitlist at UTexas though :?
well I am glad all worked out well
would you rather go to UT?
I am happy to have been accepted to South Texas College of Law

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:31 pm

What about PT'ers?
Finally heard today of acceptance. part-time. too late, i'm headed to rutgers. They really need to improve on their timing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hras

New

Post by hras » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:33 pm

bobothecat wrote:
What about PT'ers?
Finally heard today of acceptance. part-time. too late, i'm headed to rutgers. They really need to improve on their timing.
you are so right
congrats on rutgers
well at least someone on the wl will have a chance
I am going to South Texas

LawHorn

New

Post by LawHorn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:00 pm

hras wrote:
What about PT'ers?
fulltime here
waitlisted 4-28
I am no longer waiting
STCL is where I am going

Is anyone else having trouble getting a response out of Houston? I have called 4 times a day since last Friday and noone has even answered the phone. I left a message on Monday, no call back. I sent an e-mail yesterday morning, no response... What the hell is going on over there?

Russ

New

Post by Russ » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:25 pm

LawHorn wrote:
hras wrote:
What about PT'ers?
fulltime here
waitlisted 4-28
I am no longer waiting
STCL is where I am going

Is anyone else having trouble getting a response out of Houston? I have called 4 times a day since last Friday and noone has even answered the phone. I left a message on Monday, no call back. I sent an e-mail yesterday morning, no response... What the hell is going on over there?
I don't know, but I have just about had enough. They sent me a denial letter in error, followed by a spot on the waitlist. Now I am experiencing the same thing you are describing. Somebody finally just answered an email that I sent weeks ago. A friend of mine who just graduated from there described this as "typical" and said getting anything done out of that office is like pulling teeth.

I am in at Tulane, but was going to wait out Houston. Not so sure anymore.

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:15 am

LawHorn wrote:
hras wrote:
What about PT'ers?
fulltime here
waitlisted 4-28
I am no longer waiting
STCL is where I am going

My guess would be that they are short on office aides since it's the summer now and everyone else is rushing to make decisions and get them out. :-/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”