In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kh86

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by kh86 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Lawsixsigma wrote:Part-timers, I just got this response from Jamie Ann West (Dean of Admissions) today, so keep your fingers crossed and pray for the best.

"We will be looking at the waitlist in the next few days. Thank you for your patience and continued interest.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!"
Did any other PT applicant on the waitlist get this email? cuz I didn't

jjd

New

Post by jjd » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:45 pm

LawHorn wrote:
s1lent wrote:
Lawsixsigma wrote:Part-timers, I just got this response from Jamie Ann West (Dean of Admissions) today, so keep your fingers crossed and pray for the best.

"We will be looking at the waitlist in the next few days. Thank you for your patience and continued interest.

Thank you!"

That sounds really good. Hopefully we will all know soon; anyone have any guesses on how many spots are probably open? Eh...just wondering. (for the PT program) :|

Do you part-time applicants have a job? Do you plan on transferring to full-time after one year?

No. I applied late, so couldnt apply to the fulltime program since the deadline was way over. Im hoping to find a job or convert to fulltime next year.Anyone else in PT planning on that?

LBHTX

New

Post by LBHTX » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:44 am

I currently have a great job that I love doing.... so I will be sticking with the part-time program and continuing to work while in school (if I ever get off the list!) I have no intentions or ambitions to switch to full-time.

LawHorn

New

Post by LawHorn » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:22 am

jjd wrote:
LawHorn wrote:
s1lent wrote:

Thank you!"

That sounds really good. Hopefully we will all know soon; anyone have any guesses on how many spots are probably open? Eh...just wondering. (for the PT program) :|

Do you part-time applicants have a job? Do you plan on transferring to full-time after one year?

No. I applied late, so couldnt apply to the fulltime program since the deadline was way over. Im hoping to find a job or convert to fulltime next year.Anyone else in PT planning on that?
If I end up part-time I will try and transfer to full-time as well. I will have to find a job in order to make up the difference on loan qualifications bc expected cost of living is lower for part-time students. How many hours a week do you plan on working? Do you know if Houston will assist in the job search?

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:55 am

s1lent wrote:

Thank you!"

That sounds really good. Hopefully we will all know soon; anyone have any guesses on how many spots are probably open? Eh...just wondering. (for the PT program) :|...probably not enough.
Well the targeted class size for PT was about 55 last year. So I would guess only a handful, if that. :-/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:59 am

Have any of the people who changed to decision rendered the other day heard yet?

tlt3900

New

Post by tlt3900 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:05 am

My status changed on Monday to Decision Rendered and the status page says the decision letter has been sent. I haven't received anything yet, and I did not receive an email indicating one way or the other.

I work full time so a Part time law degree is really my only option so I have no plans on transferring later to full time, should I get in.

wreckem08

New

Post by wreckem08 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:47 am

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how many waitlisters there are for the part-time program? Also how many spots are open for waitlist candidates?

I'm waitlisted for the PT program and haven't heard anything besides the generic email that was circulated a few weeks ago.

runaround

New

Post by runaround » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:08 pm

tlt3900 wrote:My status changed on Monday to Decision Rendered and the status page says the decision letter has been sent. I haven't received anything yet, and I did not receive an email indicating one way or the other.

I work full time so a Part time law degree is really my only option so I have no plans on transferring later to full time, should I get in.
Ditto

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:41 pm

wreckem08 wrote:Does anyone have a rough estimate of how many waitlisters there are for the part-time program? Also how many spots are open for waitlist candidates?

I'm waitlisted for the PT program and haven't heard anything besides the generic email that was circulated a few weeks ago.
I've tried to get an idea of how many there are. Keep in mind this is just a sample but I counted 6 PT Waitlisters (including myself) on LawSchoolNumbers.com. A few applied ONLY to UH or just to UH and STCL. I've counted about 3 or 4 on this forum.

So at least 10. :?

Couldn't tell you the number of open spots. Since UH doesn't have a set number of spots saved each year for waitlist people, I would assume only admissions people would be able to answer that. But, like I said before, it's probably only a handful, if that.

runaround

New

Post by runaround » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:33 pm

Just got my official Part Time wait list letter today from UH. My status had just changed to "Decision Rendered" on Monday.

maxcap

New

Post by maxcap » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:20 pm

Hmmm I keep on checking this thing in hopes of seeing that there is some movement, just to gage when I might possibly hear something back for full-time. I really hope my next correspondence on here will be to post good news, because as time passes, my desire to attend UH grows. I am still holding out.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:03 am

At this, point, don't expect much WL movement until next month. U of H only required one deposit, back in April. They required us to sign a commitment form due by June 19th. Our financial loans began to process July 8th. Class schedules have been assigned. The only movement might come right before classes or orientation or the like, but most people will only be dropping their commitment to UofH if they are plucked from a WL themselves.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Smart_Guy

New

Post by Smart_Guy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:47 pm

If this is indeed the case, and I'm not in any way suggesting that it isn't....why doesn't the admissions office just go ahead and make it official & send out rejection letters to those of us remaining on the WL already??

To me it only seems logical for the AdComm to just let us waitlisters know as far enough in advance as possible so that we can go ahead & move forward with our respective 2nd or 3rd law school options. Assuming they have >90-95% of their seat deposits in, & and they haven't made any significant additions from the WL, they should just close out the process now rather than postpone the inevitable by telling people on the WL to keep waiting until next month to get official word.

Just my $0.02

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:25 am

Smart_Guy wrote:If this is indeed the case, and I'm not in any way suggesting that it isn't....why doesn't the admissions office just go ahead and make it official & send out rejection letters to those of us remaining on the WL already??

To me it only seems logical for the AdComm to just let us waitlisters know as far enough in advance as possible so that we can go ahead & move forward with our respective 2nd or 3rd law school options. Assuming they have >90-95% of their seat deposits in, & and they haven't made any significant additions from the WL, they should just close out the process now rather than postpone the inevitable by telling people on the WL to keep waiting until next month to get official word.

Just my $0.02
Uh, because what happens in admissions is a few people never show up that first few days before class, or leave almost immediately. They then call the remaining waitlisters, and offer them a spot, because some may be wiling to hustle to get into the school.

maxcap

New

Post by maxcap » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:45 am

This is probably a pointless question, since I am assuming somebody would have let this be known, but...any new correspondence with the adcomm (i.e. waitlist calls/emails/acceptance/rejection) for full time?

agr0n9

New

Post by agr0n9 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:03 pm

I emailed Dean Hammers yesterday about the waitlist. I have yet to receive a response. I wish they would let me know one way or another. :|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jjd

New

Post by jjd » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:54 pm

I mailed my enrolment fee and form couple of days back.And was wondering what is this people soft id and how do you access it?I have not yet got any info on that yet.

Smart_Guy

New

Post by Smart_Guy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:37 pm

@ jjd:

So jjd, does that mean you were admitted from the waitlist??

jjd

New

Post by jjd » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:51 pm

Smart_Guy wrote:@ jjd:

So jjd, does that mean you were admitted from the waitlist??
I applied late and did June LSAT and I was never put/mailed in any wait list.So I have no clue on that

daisy buchanan

New

Post by daisy buchanan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:55 pm

Did anyone else on the waitlist receive an email this afternoon from Admissions??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

agr0n9

New

Post by agr0n9 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:03 pm

Accepted off of the waitlist full-time.

:D :D :D :D

daisy buchanan

New

Post by daisy buchanan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:12 pm

agr0n9 wrote:Accepted off of the waitlist full-time.

:D :D :D :D

Congratulations! I hope to join you in the in-off-the-waitlist-club soon!!

keith114

New

Post by keith114 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:19 pm

In off wait-list to Part Time. Got e-mail this afternoon.

Very excited. Can't wait to get started!!!

Machiavellian

New

Post by Machiavellian » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:10 pm

keith114 wrote:In off wait-list to Part Time. Got e-mail this afternoon.

Very excited. Can't wait to get started!!!
Congrats!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”