In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Machiavellian

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by Machiavellian » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:57 pm

rachel.almaraz wrote:Just got into the Full Time program via e-mail (9:15pm).
Congratulations!

wreckem08

New

Post by wreckem08 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:20 am

Does anyone have any information about how many more spots are available for FT or PT? I spoke with admissions earlier this week and got an estimation of more than a dozen waitlisters with a handful of spots for each program. What about everyone who has gotten offers on the waitlist? Do all of you plan to accept or have you committed elsewhere?

houstonlonghorn

New

Post by houstonlonghorn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm not going, but out of curiosity, how much is the tuition for the upcoming 09-10 year? I heard my friend tell me $20K in-state? That can't be right.

jjd

New

Post by jjd » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:22 pm

houstonlonghorn wrote:I'm not going, but out of curiosity, how much is the tuition for the upcoming 09-10 year? I heard my friend tell me $20K in-state? That can't be right.
houstonlonghorn wrote:I'm not going, but out of curiosity, how much is the tuition for the upcoming 09-10 year? I heard my friend tell me $20K in-state? That can't be right.
Yeah..its approximately right...but just tuition..the budget wud be a lil more

Lawsixsigma

New

Post by Lawsixsigma » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:37 pm

I heard that some earlier admitted full timers got a 6K grant towards tuition. Can anyone confirm this rumor?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kmcquire

New

Post by kmcquire » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:17 pm

I heard that some earlier admitted full timers got a 6K grant towards tuition. Can anyone confirm this rumor?
Yes, I got this grant. I was accepted the first week of January.

Lawsixsigma

New

Post by Lawsixsigma » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Was the grant for both full timers and part timers? And do you know if it included both residents and non-residents?

kmcquire

New

Post by kmcquire » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:32 pm

Was the grant for both full timers and part timers? And do you know if it included both residents and non-residents?
I got $2K per semester as a Texas Public Education Grant and $1K per semester as a Graduate Tuition Grant. I am unsure of whether it was for both full timers and part timers. I'll be a full timer. I don't know if the Graduate Tuition Grant was just for residents or not, although it's pretty self explanatory that the Texas Public Education Grant is just for residents, or so I assume. :)

Lawsixsigma

New

Post by Lawsixsigma » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:01 am

Has anyone heard anything since Monday?

I'm still waiting to get into the PT program.

meathead

New

Post by meathead » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm

I just hear last Friday as to acceptance in PT... They gave me a deadline of the 5th to get our deposits in so after that they may let some more people in.

jjd

New

Post by jjd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:04 am

Anyone has any clue about what this writing assessment is all about??When is fulltimers orientation happening??

kmcquire

New

Post by kmcquire » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:48 am

Anyone has any clue about what this writing assessment is all about??When is fulltimers orientation happening??
They've sent multiple emails on the writing assessment. It's to determine whether you need tutoring in order to be able to write at a level that the professors expect.

Orientation is tomorrow and Saturday. There was information about this in the packet that was sent via email quite a while back (3-4 weeks).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Any other waitlisters still waiting to hear?

I am. Received an encouraging email from the admissions office last week.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:56 pm

G_Girl4098 wrote:Any other waitlisters still waiting to hear?

I am. Received an encouraging email from the admissions office last week.
We just had orientation this past Friday & Saturday. I know there were at least 2 people who weren't orientation. They could have made arrangements or had prior commitments to not attend, but also could be a sign that they aren't attending.

Also, tuition/payment are due tomorrow (Tuesday, Aug. 18). I suspect by then they'll start dropping those who haven't paid and start bringing in any waitlisters.

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:00 pm

How was orientation? How is it structured? Did you like it and were people generally pretty friendly? Any get togethers after?

Just wanted to see what you guys think of the school. Im considering sending an app for 2010. Thanks!

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:07 pm

catharsis wrote:How was orientation? How is it structured? Did you like it and were people generally pretty friendly? Any get togethers after?

Just wanted to see what you guys think of the school. Im considering sending an app for 2010. Thanks!
Orientation was fairly disorganized, and quite boring/useless in a lot of ways. I took a 1 on 1 tour earlier this year and had a much better sense of the school because of that. Orientation involved a lot of sitting in an auditorium being talked at, or even lectured at, in varying degrees. Orientation was basically a giant information dump, some of which I've already forgotten, simply because they threw everything important at us in a single hour.

That said, the 2 & 3Ls were friendly and eager to give advice or answer questions. One of the student orgs threw a happy hour afterwards with free beer. There have been a few other happy hours put on by the SBA, and I'm sure a few more to follow.

In general, however, orientation didn't give me a good feel for my classmates or upperclassmen, as everyone was in the perfunctory genial question mode. Hard to ask anything in depth farther than, "Where are you from, major, undergrad, etc?"

Feel free to post/pm me any questions, I'll answer them best as possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

memeME

New

Post by memeME » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:12 am

What's the latest....anyone still not released from waitlist?

hameeds2

New

Post by hameeds2 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:08 pm

May I ask,

Why Houston? Especially if you are out of state? Why do you think it's worth it?

secant

New

Post by secant » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:43 pm

hameeds2 wrote:May I ask,

Why Houston? Especially if you are out of state? Why do you think it's worth it?
USNWR 2009 Health #3, IP #7
Out of state tuition $28k and cost of living in Houston is very low
Quite modest LSAT/GPA seems to get you in according to LSN

hameeds2

New

Post by hameeds2 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:35 pm

What's the number of graduates getting jobs out of UH in this market like? I know Texas grads shouldn't have a problem, but what about UH.

By the way, I am from Chicago. I have yet to take my lsat but I don't think I can score high enough for a t-14 and though i want to practice in Chicago, with northwestern and u of chicago and other midwest schools coming in to battle for jobs, if I go to lower ranked school such as DePaul or Loyola maybe even U of Illinois, I don't think in this economy I will come out with a job from law school.
Unlike very lucky others, I do have substantial undergraduate debt as well. So going to law school and having a job that's worth it all is necessary. I was thinking, would UH be a good investment if nothing in chicago works out? My family lives there too so I can stay with them if I needed to save money and just commute to school. What do you think?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:12 pm

UH is a great option if you want to work in Houston and close surrounding cities. It obviously wont do well in Chicago or anywhere other than Texas since it's a big regional school but places very competitively in Houston (second to UT in my opinion).

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:53 am

hameeds2 wrote:May I ask,

Even OOS, it's cheap.
Solid placement in a stronger market than most for the economy (but only if you don't mind working in the Houston area).

Hameeds, if you want Chicago, don't go to UH. Go to school in/near Chicago. And get an LSAT score before worrying about schools.

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:47 pm

UH PT - Denied via online status. I haven't got the letter in the mail yet but I still have my app in to STCL so its wait and see.

RSN_M3

Bronze

Post by RSN_M3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:52 pm

happy187 wrote:UH PT - Denied via online status. I haven't got the letter in the mail yet but I still have my app in to STCL so its wait and see.
When did you go in Review?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”