In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
smiley87

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by smiley87 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm

cachua wrote:
Scholarships and financial aid are awarded separately. Scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admissions, and applicants selected for scholarships have been notified via email and a letter sent to the current address in our records.

Financial aid is awarded based on the FAFSA by the UH Office of Financial Aid. The bulk of your financial aid award will be in the form of student loans; Stafford loans are awarded up to the 20,500 limit, and then students may use Graduate Plus Loans up to the cost of education. The Financial Aid office has begun downloading Student Aid Reports from the Department of Education, and awarding will begin next week. Admitted students who have received their Peoplesoft ID should check their financial aid checklist to ensure that no additional documents are needed before they go through awarding.

Lisa Buentello
UHLC Office of Admissions
Does this mean that if you haven't received an e-mail yet, you're not getting anything?
i saw that also. i e-mailed them to ask if you haven't gotten an offer if it means you're not qualified. will let you know if i hear back. =)

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:07 pm

They haven't sent out any financial awards or the like, I believe someone earlier stated that UH would begin awarding them in mid April.

smiley87

New

Post by smiley87 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Hey, they work fast! Just saw the update:
Scholarships and financial aid are awarded separately. Scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admissions; we have made our initial scholarship awards, and applicants selected for scholarships have been notified via email and a letter sent to the current address in our records. While we are not planning to make any additional awards right now, we are happy to consider you should additional funds become available later in the spring or summer.

Financial aid is awarded based on the FAFSA by the UH Office of Financial Aid. The bulk of your financial aid award will be in the form of student loans; Stafford loans are awarded up to the 20,500 limit, and then students may use Graduate Plus Loans up to the cost of education. The Financial Aid office has begun downloading Student Aid Reports from the Department of Education, and awarding will begin next week. Admitted students who have received their Peoplesoft ID should check their financial aid checklist to ensure that no additional documents are needed before they go through awarding.

Lisa Buentello
I like UH a whole lot, but I don't understand how all the other schools manage to make scholarship offers early on and pretty generously too and UH can't. Baylor, similarly ranked, is offering me a full ride while it looks like I'm getting nothing from UH.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:23 pm

So out of 80+ acceptances on LSN there is one guy who got $15k??? I realize that's a self-selecting group, but that's really slim. Oh well, at least that guy withdrew, so maybe they'll split his $15k evenly between the rest of us!

smiley87

New

Post by smiley87 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:28 pm

nontrad, i thought the same thing!! and it made me laugh thinking we each would get like $60 from them (assuming the enrolling class is 250 people). i guess that's like waiving the application fee?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:38 pm

smiley87 wrote:Hey, they work fast! Just saw the update:
Scholarships and financial aid are awarded separately. Scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admissions; we have made our initial scholarship awards, and applicants selected for scholarships have been notified via email and a letter sent to the current address in our records. While we are not planning to make any additional awards right now, we are happy to consider you should additional funds become available later in the spring or summer.

Lisa Buentello
I like UH a whole lot, but I don't understand how all the other schools manage to make scholarship offers early on and pretty generously too and UH can't. Baylor, similarly ranked, is offering me a full ride while it looks like I'm getting nothing from UH.
Yeah, but you have to live in Waco if you go to Baylor. Take it from someone who went to Baylor for his freshman year of undergrad and then got the hell out, Waco is a terrible place to live.

smiley87

New

Post by smiley87 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:44 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:
smiley87 wrote:Hey, they work fast! Just saw the update:

Lisa Buentello
Yeah, but you have to live in Waco if you go to Baylor. Take it from someone who went to Baylor for his freshman year of undergrad and then got the hell out, Waco is a terrible place to live.

i don't know. their financial aid offer is pretty hard to beat. full tuition + $5K grant and all stafford loans. Housing in Waco is cheap enough for me to feel like I could make it work going to law school for free. and everyone seems so nice!

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:48 pm

smiley87 wrote:nontrad, i thought the same thing!! and it made me laugh thinking we each would get like $60 from them (assuming the enrolling class is 250 people). i guess that's like waiving the application fee?
Just called the admissions office - our $60 checks are all in the mail!! Yea! Finally some good news!

:D

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:14 pm

Just got an email re: an Accepted Students & Alumni reception for April 9th; anyone thinking of going?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jaxon05

New

Post by jaxon05 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Did anyone get that PeopleSoft ID e-mail who can't get a password e-mailed to them? I followed all of their instructions but whenever I request a new password one does not get e-mailed to me. Does anyone else have this problem?

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:28 pm

BigAristotle wrote:Just got an email re: an Accepted Students & Alumni reception for April 9th; anyone thinking of going?
i'm going if i can take the day off from work.

also, did you get the email about preview day on April 10th? what do they mean by "registration begins at 8.30am for BOTH dates" ??

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:08 am

I just checked their Events Calendar, NEITHER days/events are on them....

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:11 am

Anyone know when pt. applicants will start to hear?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

davidin

New

Post by davidin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:05 am

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:12 am

A'nold wrote:Anyone know when pt. applicants will start to hear?
They have already started notifying PT people

burgundy

New

Post by burgundy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:32 pm

I don't know what they're thinking, making so few scholarship offers (granted, LSN and TLS posters are not be wholly representative samples, but there should exist some form of correlation).

UH was seriously #1 on my list because of its location, but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out sticker price for it.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:41 pm

So it's a for sure thing that if you haven't gotten a scholarship offer - you aren't going to get one?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

memeME

New

Post by memeME » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:50 pm

If you are not planning to attend UH, would you please withdraw to make spots for more of us who definitely want to go? Thanks so much!

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:34 pm

memeME wrote:If you are not planning to attend UH, would you please withdraw to make spots for more of us who definitely want to go? Thanks so much!
+1

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:47 pm

kak23 wrote:So it's a for sure thing that if you haven't gotten a scholarship offer - you aren't going to get one?
I don't think so; it depends on your acceptance date. I haven't even received a Peoplesoft ID/Email yet. And even then, they may be waiting to evaluate the FAFSA info?

smiley87

New

Post by smiley87 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:50 pm

BigAristotle wrote:
kak23 wrote:So it's a for sure thing that if you haven't gotten a scholarship offer - you aren't going to get one?
I don't think so; it depends on your acceptance date. I haven't even received a Peoplesoft ID/Email yet. And even then, they may be waiting to evaluate the FAFSA info?
I e-mailed them, and in fact, they are done making scholarship offers. Apparently they're really dry this year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smiley87

New

Post by smiley87 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:00 pm

on an unrelated note, i'm starting to think that UH ranking might drop this year. If that's the case, I don't really want to pay sticker for it... can anyone else weigh in?

burgundy

New

Post by burgundy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:59 pm

On the phone, I was told something along the lines of .... "it's possible that more scholarships will be available later" but they definitely won't have another round before April 15th.

yoyo

New

Post by yoyo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:59 pm

smiley87 wrote:on an unrelated note, i'm starting to think that UH ranking might drop this year. If that's the case, I don't really want to pay sticker for it... can anyone else weigh in?
deleted
Last edited by yoyo on Sat May 09, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:12 pm

Lol ^^^^^ I used to be like you dude, but I'm telling you, if UH moves up to #48 or so instead of #55 or if it drops to #65 it will mean nothing. UH owns the Houston market and the only other real competition comes from a little sprinkling of the t14 and UT, whose graduates spread out over the state. UH's ranking can do whatever it wants and I'll be just fine going there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”