In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cachua

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by cachua » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:03 pm

G_Girl4098 wrote:
cachua wrote:I applied after the deadline on 2/28. I'm already "File in Review 3/13/2009". Does anyone know how long they take to make a decision? Or send out scholarship info? Seems like they're moving pretty fast, but will they make the April 1st deadline?

Reading the previous 13 pages of posts should give you a really good idea.
:D

haha jeez thanks. i got my acceptance e-mail this morning. houston is one of the quickest one yet for me.

lewis louis

Bronze

Post by lewis louis » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:07 pm

to those of you who recently got your acceptances: What are your stats?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:08 pm

cn1093 wrote:to those of you who recently got your acceptances: What are your stats?
+1

houstonlonghorn

New

Post by houstonlonghorn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:35 pm

Yeah, it doesn't seem like U of H has any money at all. Every school that has admitted me has sent big informational brochures and letters. Nothing from U of H. Not exactly an encouraging sign from a potential school. I was debating b/w U of H and UT because I didn't feel like spending another three years in Austin but U of H made my decision for me. I'm going to withdraw my acceptance nxt week if I still don't hear anything.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:37 pm

:D
Last edited by annapavlova on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

djmor109

New

Post by djmor109 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:05 pm

OasisFan wrote:
cn1093 wrote:to those of you who recently got your acceptances: What are your stats?
+1
Accepted 3/20/09
163/3.37 (3.67)

lawschoolchick73

New

Post by lawschoolchick73 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:13 pm

I've heard of other people that just got accepted too.

This process has been sooo frustrating with them. They were my top choice at the beginning and am not sure anymore. As osmeone else said, Tulane has been so responsive and wonderful. I have also felt this way about Baylor. I would almost seriously rather spedn the extra money just to spite Houston, because I think their process is ridiculous. I applied in OCTOBER! Guess 5 months of having my file just isn't neough time yet.... and my scores are in their range! My LSAT is right in it (160) and my GPA is high (over a 3.7). And they are my Alma Mater. But now they are making me hate them. haha.

Hopefully we hear soon- my status also wne tfrom file is review 2-10 to 3-16 as someone else's did earlier up on the page. Hopefulyl this mean they are getting to ours.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:37 pm

How about those of us out there who havent' heard anything post our stats?

160 lsat, 3.63 summary GPA, 3.57 LSDAS GPA.

overprivileged

New

Post by overprivileged » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:08 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:Houston LOCI

Houston Admissions Office,

I want you. You control my emotions like a high school girlfriend who is probably out of my league but considered giving me a chance because I surprised her with flowers in front of her parents. Validate me with an acceptance letter. We are meant for each other. I am an Austinite. If you do not accept me, I will be forced to attend the University of Denver or Texas Tech. One is cold. The other is in Lubbock. I will take you to prom in a limo and buy you a nice dinner. I asked you out in late October, I have been patiently waiting for you to check the yes box in the do you like me-like me note I left in your locker. My parents think I'm cool, so should you. Hit me back. Soon. Please. I have my phone with me and can check e-mail on it. So yeah. Call me. Talk to you later. Bye. *smiley face*.

XOXOXO
Loves this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jaxon05

New

Post by jaxon05 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:13 pm

Has anyone heard ANYTHING on when to expect scholarships? Something definitive, not the usual "sometime in the near future" garbage that some people have heard from them. April 1 is approaching pretty quickly.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:34 pm

3.66 (3.81) 159 LSAT (Feb Retaker)

Complete 3/5/09

SHOW ME SOME LOVE! :evil:

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:58 pm

jaxon05 wrote:Has anyone heard ANYTHING on when to expect scholarships? Something definitive, not the usual "sometime in the near future" garbage that some people have heard from them. April 1 is approaching pretty quickly.
I had one person tell me they SHOULD be out before April 1 .... however the other two people I spoke to gave dates ranging from mid to late April ....

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:57 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:How about those of us out there who havent' heard anything post our stats?

160 lsat, 3.63 summary GPA, 3.57 LSDAS GPA.

158; 3.63

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:02 pm

thoughts and opinions needed, please!

I applied to UH 12/01/08 and am now in review as of 03/16/09 (and as of 02/11/09 before that.) I am thinking about writing a LOCI. The assistant dean of admissions "encourages new information that is important for the admissions committee to know." I applied to the JD/MPH dual degree program and just got accepted to UTH's School of Public Health. Does this count as something important and relevant and will sending a LOCI place me at the end of the review pile?

I'm worried because deposits on other schools have to be made soon..

Thank you, fellow applicants! ;]

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:02 pm

jaxon05 wrote:Has anyone heard ANYTHING on when to expect scholarships? Something definitive, not the usual "sometime in the near future" garbage that some people have heard from them. April 1 is approaching pretty quickly.
Last time I talked to them they said..."April...but don't expect many"

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:59 pm

rubies wrote:thoughts and opinions needed, please!

I applied to UH 12/01/08 and am now in review as of 03/16/09 (and as of 02/11/09 before that.) I am thinking about writing a LOCI. The assistant dean of admissions "encourages new information that is important for the admissions committee to know." I applied to the JD/MPH dual degree program and just got accepted to UTH's School of Public Health. Does this count as something important and relevant and will sending a LOCI place me at the end of the review pile?

I'm worried because deposits on other schools have to be made soon..

Thank you, fellow applicants! ;]

Rubies, I am a dual-degree applicant as well (JD/MBA). When I received my MBA acceptance a few weeks ago, I went ahead and sent the law school an e-mail explaining that I had been accepted to the MBA portion of my dual-degree application. I hoped they would feel more confident in me as a dual-degree applicant who sincerely planned to do both and was qualified to do so.

They responded with a generic thank you e-mail and said that the information (probably just a copy of my e-mail) would be added to my file. So to answer your question, I'd say go for it but don't expect it to make much of a positive difference either. I think they are pretty stubborn in their commitment to keep one decision from influencing the other. At best, I think it might be a good tie-breaker for you with someone else.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:54 pm

eek, my status check changed today from "File in Review, 3/16/09" to "File in Review, 3/22/09." Anyone else get the same change?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:09 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:eek, my status check changed today from "File in Review, 3/16/09" to "File in Review, 3/22/09." Anyone else get the same change?

negative. and thanks, eamon, for the previous comment. however, i am afraid that sending a LOCI informing them of the other school's acceptance will put me at the back of the review stack...

lawschoolchick73

New

Post by lawschoolchick73 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:42 pm

Mine changed to file in review from march 16th to march 22nd too. This is the third time it has changed... hopefully that means they are getting close to making a decision.......

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:19 am

Hopefully....btw, I agree with a posting you made earlier suggesting they just start with the highest LSAT score and work their way down. I have a 160 too and it seems like we keep getting bumped around at the same time.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:30 am

Another question to everyone

I get the impression that people have been receiving acceptance decisions via e-mail and rejection decisions via snail mail. Moreover, accepted people have told me that their status update to 'decision rendered' came at the same time or shortly after they received their acceptance e-mail so they were not expecting it when it came. However, the rejection letter, taking a few days to arrive, came well after the 'decision rendered' status change.

So my question is, do you have the same impression as me? If so, isn't it fair, albeit unfortunate, to conclude that seeing a 'decision rendered' status before receiving an acceptance e-mail implicitly means that you've been rejected?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:32 am

Has anyone been accepted part-time yet? Houston may very well be my home next fall if they accept me so I've been waiting patiently (yeah right) for about 3 months since I went complete..........

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:47 am

eamonbriggs08 wrote:Another question to everyone

I get the impression that people have been receiving acceptance decisions via e-mail and rejection decisions via snail mail. Moreover, accepted people have told me that their status update to 'decision rendered' came at the same time or shortly after they received their acceptance e-mail so they were not expecting it when it came. However, the rejection letter, taking a few days to arrive, came well after the 'decision rendered' status change.

So my question is, do you have the same impression as me? If so, isn't it fair, albeit unfortunate, to conclude that seeing a 'decision rendered' status before receiving an acceptance e-mail implicitly means that you've been rejected?

They also send waitlist notifications via snail mail. So you can't automatically assume you are rejected if you don't get an email.

Also, my "file in review" date has changes FOUR times. I applied in early October.

houstonlonghorn

New

Post by houstonlonghorn » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:55 am

Do you guys think there is a reason U of H has less money to offer this year? I'm going to go ahead and put down a deposit for UH, UT, and WLU. Probably going to go to UT, even though they accidentally sent me a rejection letter.

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:38 pm

A'nold wrote:Has anyone been accepted part-time yet? Houston may very well be my home next fall if they accept me so I've been waiting patiently (yeah right) for about 3 months since I went complete..........
I'm wanting to know too but looking at lsn, it doesn't seem like they even look at PT apps till April...A'nold looks like we applied to a couple of the same schools!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”