In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
raperez129

Bronze

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by raperez129 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Just found this on the U of H website...
The University of Houston begins awarding April 1 for the following fall/spring semesters.
and this...
Financial aid award notices typically are e-mailed after May 1 and proceed throughout the summer.
The sequence should progress as follows:

Student submits FAFSA information. Student will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR).

The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, will notify the student of the award by e-mail.

Student then accepts the award in PeopleSoft and completes the Loans by Web process.

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:55 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Assuming that you had to pay sticker tuition for each, heaven forbid, and assuming that you're in-state Texas, wouldn't you pay $5k more for SMU's 5% higher NLJ250 placement versus Houston? I would. And it's hardly as if an SMU JD keeps you out of the Houston market. The hell that it does.
Why would you be willing to pay $15,000 ($5,000 x 3 years) due to a statistically insignificant and arbitrary number? Your grades in law school will have a much greater impact on potential jobs, instead of whether or not you went to SMU or UH.

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:17 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Assuming that you had to pay sticker tuition for each, heaven forbid, and assuming that you're in-state Texas, wouldn't you pay $5k more for SMU's 5% higher NLJ250 placement versus Houston? I would. And it's hardly as if an SMU JD keeps you out of the Houston market. The hell that it does.
Why would you be willing to pay $15,000 ($5,000 x 3 years) due to a statistically insignificant and arbitrary number? Your grades in law school will have a much greater impact on potential jobs, instead of whether or not you went to SMU or UH.
theoretically... at SMU you would only need to be in top 23% to work at nlj250, at UH you would have to make top 18%. These are the most reliable #s we have to go on; i would even say they are the least arbitrary statistic available, especially since it comes from an independent source.

the 5% isn't a huge disparity, but it is significant. assuming you put in the same amount of effort at each school, top 23% is easier than top 18%. I would take the 5% over 15k. But I would think preference of working in Dallas or Htown would be the biggest factor.
Last edited by madmartigan on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:19 pm

In review - 12/15, 2/15, and now 3/15. Any idea what this means?

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:21 pm

madmartigan wrote:
Josh the Goat wrote:
theoretically... at SMU you would only need to be in top 23% to work at nlj250, at UH you would have to make top 18%. These are the most reliable #s we have to go on; i would even say they are the least arbitrary statistic available, especially since it comes from an independent source.

the 5% isn't a huge disparity, but it is significant. assuming you put in the same amount of effort at each school, top 23% is easier than top 18%. I would take the 5% over 15k. But I would think preference of working in Dallas or Htown would be the biggest factor.
I agree with this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:35 pm

I'm new to the forum but I've appreciated all of your updates.

My wife is out of town and I'm a loser so I decided to read through the entire thread to get an idea of how long people waited for decisions last year. Ouch... I would not recommend anyone do this.

Of course there are a million exceptions, but I'll sum up the first 35 pages or so of this thread for those who don't want to read it all.

Full time applicants last year with over 161-162ish had all heard by mid-late March. A few borderline apps continued to hear into mid April. It seemed like any full timers still waiting by May 1st were on the waitlist. (more on waitlist later)

Part time applicant acceptances dribbled in very slowly until May. Yes, mid May was when a lot of PT applicants started announcing their admissions, those with 161+ in May, seemingly followed by some (158-160) in early June. Then the PT waitlists started dribbling in.

The late June timeframe was a very sad time on this forum. Lots of frustrated waitlisters, and hangers-on waiting to hear because they took a June LSAT.

July brought a small number of admissions to late applicants, followed by a lot of emails to FT waitlisters asking them if they would like to be considered for PT. Late July waitlisters started getting accepted, both FT and PT waitlisters were getting in with stats across the spectrum.

The last waitlist offers came AFTER new student orientation, and THE WEEK BEFORE CLASSES BEGAN. There was one sad post after classes had begun asking "anyone still waiting to hear?" then silence on the thread until December.

Summing it up, if this year is anything like last year and you have borderline numbers like I do (Law school predictor gives me 58%) hang on for the ride! I am seriously considering avoiding the daily checking. I don't want to check every day for 4 months!

Again, I have no personal experience and I'm new to the forum, I am only regurgitating the last hour of reading the thread for those who have lives and may be interested how it went last year.

Good luck everyone.

Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Post by Texasboundanddown » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:39 pm

So I have fairly solid numbers and sent my app in the beginning of February. Still just "complete". I'm fairly above 75% on LSAT and at median for the GPA. Should I just shoot them email and say could I also apply for the part time program? Am I allowed to do that? I didn't mean to apply late to UoH but with everything else happening in my life with RL issues and other apps it just got pushed back. So give up hope on FT and ask them to switch me to PT consideration too or just sit tight and ride it out? I'm URM and from Houston and went to t5 undergrad so I thought it would be a shoe in when I applied.

UoH kinda came on the radar when I realized I would work in Texas, went to open house, talked to people, and figured if I did well there I would be able to do well for myself in and around Houston. Any thoughts on what I can/should do?

roofles

New

Post by roofles » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:50 pm

rdcws000 wrote:I'm new to the forum but I've appreciated all of your updates.

My wife is out of town and I'm a loser so I decided to read through the entire thread to get an idea of how long people waited for decisions last year. Ouch... I would not recommend anyone do this.

Of course there are a million exceptions, but I'll sum up the first 35 pages or so of this thread for those who don't want to read it all.

Full time applicants last year with over 161-162ish had all heard by mid-late March. A few borderline apps continued to hear into mid April. It seemed like any full timers still waiting by May 1st were on the waitlist. (more on waitlist later)

Part time applicant acceptances dribbled in very slowly until May. Yes, mid May was when a lot of PT applicants started announcing their admissions, those with 161+ in May, seemingly followed by some (158-160) in early June. Then the PT waitlists started dribbling in.

The late June timeframe was a very sad time on this forum. Lots of frustrated waitlisters, and hangers-on waiting to hear because they took a June LSAT.

July brought a small number of admissions to late applicants, followed by a lot of emails to FT waitlisters asking them if they would like to be considered for PT. Late July waitlisters started getting accepted, both FT and PT waitlisters were getting in with stats across the spectrum.

The last waitlist offers came AFTER new student orientation, and THE WEEK BEFORE CLASSES BEGAN. There was one sad post after classes had begun asking "anyone still waiting to hear?" then silence on the thread until December.

Summing it up, if this year is anything like last year and you have borderline numbers like I do (Law school predictor gives me 58%) hang on for the ride! I am seriously considering avoiding the daily checking. I don't want to check every day for 4 months!

Again, I have no personal experience and I'm new to the forum, I am only regurgitating the last hour of reading the thread for those who have lives and may be interested how it went last year.

Good luck everyone.
Thanks for the recap. As a 161/low gpa PT applicant I'll stop checking every 3 hours until May :D

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:50 am

Texasboundanddown wrote:So I have fairly solid numbers and sent my app in the beginning of February. Still just "complete". I'm fairly above 75% on LSAT and at median for the GPA. Should I just shoot them email and say could I also apply for the part time program? Am I allowed to do that? I didn't mean to apply late to UoH but with everything else happening in my life with RL issues and other apps it just got pushed back. So give up hope on FT and ask them to switch me to PT consideration too or just sit tight and ride it out? I'm URM and from Houston and went to t5 undergrad so I thought it would be a shoe in when I applied.

UoH kinda came on the radar when I realized I would work in Texas, went to open house, talked to people, and figured if I did well there I would be able to do well for myself in and around Houston. Any thoughts on what I can/should do?
Again, I'm only going off of last years history, but it seems like you should stay the course. If you applied full time you don't have that long to wait, especially if you have decent numbers. If they want you to consider PT, they will definitely suggest it to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:01 am

Good luck everyone.
Recap appreciated.
I'm a bit depressed. I'm a PT-er with okay numbers, so I should hang on and not count to hear anything until July. Also, I must accept that I must place my deposit at my backup school, and (hopefull) kiss it good-bye.....
Last edited by raperez129 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:42 pm

That's my plan. I'm pretty grounded in Houston. With 2 kids and stay at home wife I cannot jeopardize my career, so my PT options are UH and STCL.

I think my numbers should get me safely into STCL, but of course I'd prefer UH. I am expecting to hear from STCL within the next month, I'll pay the deposit there and, like you, hold on to hope I'll lose it when UH invites me in July!

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:52 pm

rdcws000 wrote:That's my plan. I'm pretty grounded in Houston. With 2 kids and stay at home wife I cannot jeopardize my career, so my PT options are UH and STCL.

I think my numbers should get me safely into STCL, but of course I'd prefer UH. I am expecting to hear from STCL within the next month, I'll pay the deposit there and, like you, hold on to hope I'll lose it when UH invites me in July!

Good LUCK!!

Hopefully we'll be classmates. I'm in at the STCL PT, but the the agony of U of H may kill me before summer.... :roll:

lawschool10

New

Post by lawschool10 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:45 pm

Good luck everyone.

Wow. Thanks. You could make a living off summarizing the forums.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:08 pm

lawschool10 wrote:

Good luck everyone.

Wow. Thanks. You could make a living off summarizing the forums.

Since they haven't officially even begun to review my application, I wasn't that worried. After reading what you said, I am definitely not worried.

But I will say, I just wish I knew already. It might suck putting down a deposit at some school and then getting into Houston and losing the money, but in the end, it's just money. I just want to know what my life will be like for the next couple of years already.

lawschool10

New

Post by lawschool10 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:21 pm

+1

Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Post by Texasboundanddown » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:46 pm

lawschool10 wrote:+1
Congrats? Haha can't tell what you are plus oneing.

AngeLaDona

New

Post by AngeLaDona » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm glad to see I am not the only one frustrated with UH. I applied to all three law schools in Houston for the FT program and heard back from both TSU and STCL within weeks (admitted to both). File went "In review" on 02/26. With deposit due dates coming up, I might have to move forward with one of the other schools. :x

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:30 pm

AngeLaDona wrote:I'm glad to see I am not the only one frustrated with UH. I applied to all three law schools in Houston for the FT program and heard back from both TSU and STCL within weeks (admitted to both). File went "In review" on 02/26. With deposit due dates coming up, I might have to move forward with one of the other schools. :x

Me too. Clearly, they hold themselves out to be the superior school of the three, and therefore have self-justified treating applicants to frustration and agony. Evidently, in their quest for climbing the rankings, they step on the backs of the students that will need to perform to get them there.... :x

lawschool10

New

Post by lawschool10 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:36 pm

Well consider yourself lucky, at least you heard from STCL and congratulations. I am still waiting and I submitted my application prior to yours. The waiting is sheer agony.

atfarmer

New

Post by atfarmer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:03 pm

just got admitted today via status checker. Turned in my app on 2/10 and went complete within 48 hours. Was under review from 2/18 to 3/18.

I'm not happy at all with what people are saying about scholarships. I sure hope we don't have to wait that long. I don't know if I'd be willing to drop $500 on a seat deposit to hear whether they've decided to give me a scholarship or not when other schools have already done so.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:14 pm

atfarmer wrote:just got admitted today via status checker. Turned in my app on 2/10 and went complete within 48 hours. Was under review from 2/18 to 3/18.

I'm not happy at all with what people are saying about scholarships. I sure hope we don't have to wait that long. I don't know if I'd be willing to drop $500 on a seat deposit to hear whether they've decided to give me a scholarship or not when other schools have already done so.
are you in the 161+ crowd? FT? Those stats seem to be hearing a quick response. PT apps seem to have heard nothing yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

atfarmer

New

Post by atfarmer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:23 pm

Yea I am 165 FT. So they are hearing about financial aid sooner? That's good to know, but I'm still irritated on your behalf! :evil:

kh86

New

Post by kh86 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:21 pm

atfarmer wrote:Yea I am 165 FT. So they are hearing about financial aid sooner? That's good to know, but I'm still irritated on your behalf! :evil:
I am 164 PT and my file isn't even in review yet. They're going extremely slow with PT applicants.

Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Post by Texasboundanddown » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:51 pm

atfarmer wrote:Yea I am 165 FT. So they are hearing about financial aid sooner? That's good to know, but I'm still irritated on your behalf! :evil:
Congrats on the acceptance. Its so weird that I still am just "complete". Should I call to inquire about my application? I am a full timer like yourself and have probably comparable stats. I went complete on the 11th too.

atfarmer

New

Post by atfarmer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Maybe wait until Monday because I think it takes them a few days to notify everybody, but yea, I don't think there's anything wrong with a call at this stage of the game. It's getting close to the seat deposit deadline and it's time for us prospective students to start making decisions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”