In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
0 and 16

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by 0 and 16 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:05 am

Did anyone else catch the 'tier-one' and 'top-tier' reference in yesterday's email from the Dean?

Either he's using the terms loosely, or UH moved into the first tier in the newest USNWR rankings.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:07 am

0 and 16 wrote:Did anyone else catch the 'tier-one' and 'top-tier' reference in yesterday's email from the Dean?

Either he's using the terms loosely, or UH moved into the first tier in the newest USNWR rankings.
He was probably referring to the University's push for Tier One as a whole.

http://www.uh.edu/about/tier-one/

It's a big deal in Texas right now, but I'm not sure why the Law School dean would be talking about it.

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:09 am

0 and 16 wrote:Did anyone else catch the 'tier-one' and 'top-tier' reference in yesterday's email from the Dean?

Well the USNWR considers all law schools in the top 100 to be "tier-one".

0 and 16

New

Post by 0 and 16 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:16 am

colemf wrote:

I've noticed on here a distinction between 0-50 (T-1) and 51-100 (T-2). Maybe its only on TLS people do that.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:52 am

0 and 16 wrote:
colemf wrote:

I've noticed on here a distinction between 0-50 (T-1) and 51-100 (T-2). Maybe its only on TLS people do that.
I think it is a TLS thing. I love how people invent things that make them feel better, or someone else worse.

As far as anything I have seen on USNWR, there is no such thing as T2. 0-100 are Tier 1, and then you move to tier 3. Of course those at top 50 schools (or dreaming of top 50 schools) must have another level of eliteness and hierarchy.

As for me, tier 1 or 2, I want to go to UH PT and I'm still waiting!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:57 am

rdcws000 wrote:
0 and 16 wrote:
colemf wrote:
0 and 16 wrote:Did anyone else catch the 'tier-As far as anything I have seen on USNWR, there is no such thing as T2. 0-100 are Tier 1, and then you move to tier 3. Of course those at top 50 schools (or dreaming of top 50 schools) must have another level of eliteness and hierarchy.

As for me, tier 1 or 2, I want to go to UH PT and I'm still waiting!

Mee too!!!

The push for "tier 1" is a huge deal for U of H right now. They are also trying to get 25% of students to reside on campus, hence all the new spiffy digs..... It has to do something with helping the rating push, and being eligible for additional federal funding. :?

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:04 am

Mention how much you look forward to living on the ever-improving campus of UH in your LOCI...

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:07 am

rdcws000 wrote:I think it is a TLS thing. I love how people invent things that make them feel better, or someone else worse.

As far as anything I have seen on USNWR, there is no such thing as T2.
You'll understand the difference when you apply for a job.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:15 am

rdcws000 wrote:
I think it is a TLS thing. I love how people invent things that make them feel better, or someone else worse.

As far as anything I have seen on USNWR, there is no such thing as T2. 0-100 are Tier 1, and then you move to tier 3. Of course those at top 50 schools (or dreaming of top 50 schools) must have another level of eliteness and hierarchy.
If I remember correctly, there used to be a distinction between Tier 1 and 2, but it was done away with. Do you feel as insulted when someone is given a silver medal?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:31 am

Regardless, UHLC will be in the top 50 within 5 years, i'd bet just about anything.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:42 am

BleedBlue83 wrote:Mention how much you look forward to living on the ever-improving campus of UH in your LOCI...

Oooh! Will do!! :lol:

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:45 am

colemf wrote:Regardless, UHLC will be in the top 50 within 5 years, i'd bet just about anything.
Unless they seriously upgrade their facilities, I'd take that bet.

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:01 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:I think it is a TLS thing. I love how people invent things that make them feel better, or someone else worse.

Would you rather graduate top 10% of your class at UH or bottom 25% at UT?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:16 pm

FunkyJD wrote:

First, you assume we are all looking for the same job, a mistake a lot of people on TLS make. The idea that I would want to be a big law slave in a pin stripe suit is hilarious, though from reading this site you would think that's the only definition of success.

Second, I don't argue that some law schools clearly offer a higher quality education, and provide more opportunity upon graduation. My point is that the official T1 T2 distinction does not exist anywhere I have found, except in the minds of TLS forum folks. If you want to look at it from the perspective of a future employer, that's fair, but then there may be more than just 2 "tiers" in the top 100 when it comes to their hiring practice.

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:24 pm

rdcws000 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

First, you assume we are all looking for the same job, a mistake a lot of people on TLS make. The idea that I would want to be a big law slave in a pin stripe suit is hilarious, though from reading this site you would think that's the only definition of success.

Second, I don't argue that some law schools clearly offer a higher quality education, and provide more opportunity upon graduation. My point is that the official T1 T2 distinction does not exist anywhere I have found, except in the minds of TLS forum folks. If you want to look at it from the perspective of a future employer, that's fair, but then there may be more than just 2 "tiers" in the top 100 when it comes to their hiring practice.

+1

Further to that, though some of the top firms in the country may restrict their hiring practices to candidates from top 10 or top 20 schools, most major corporations operate with a 5/10% rule. Meaning, they target graduates who finished in the top 5/10% of their class without being AS prejudiced with regards to the school said candidates graduated from (say top 100 is game).

rdcws: Success/happiness is in the eye of the beholder. To each their own.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:38 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

Would you rather be in the top 20 at UT, or the top 10 at UH?

0 and 16

New

Post by 0 and 16 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:42 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
BleedBlue83 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

Would you rather be in the top 20 at UT, or the top 10 at UH?
bro, just because you got into nd doesn't justify becoming a troll.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:45 pm

rdcws000 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

Are you assuming that my own mentality is biglaw or bust? We might have the same career objectives. I don't know, we haven't talked. But let say we're both interested in a top-notch PI job, and not biglaw. I do know that those jobs are pretty damn competitive, and that the school that you attend can make a difference.
rdcws000 wrote:Second, I don't argue that some law schools [strike]clearly offer a higher quality education, and[/strike] provide more opportunity upon graduation.
That's all I mean to assert; see above. For the record, I am not asserting that T2's suck. I might be going to one, and happily so, if my first option doesn't work out. I would, however, be realistic about how that would affect my career options, and would be aware that a distinction exists between, say, Pitt or Houston and Notre Dame, depending on how that turns out.
rdcws000 wrote:My point is that the official T1 T2 distinction does not exist anywhere I have found, except in the minds of TLS forum folks. If you want to look at it from the perspective of a future employer, that's fair, but then there may be more than just 2 "tiers" in the top 100 when it comes to their hiring practice.
If practicing attorneys I know use the designation Tier 2, then I'd have to believe that the perception of such schools exists outside of the TLS framework. I don't believe that TLS invented the term; but others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Fixt to more accurately state a point.
Last edited by FunkyJD on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:46 pm

0 and 16 wrote:bro, just because you got into nd doesn't justify becoming a troll.
Come on, that's a cheap shot ...

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:52 pm

You're missing the point.

Your question is akin to asking if you'd rather be the best players on the Dallas Mavericks, or the best player on the Houston Rockets team. Both players are "stars", and they both would likely command high value from most teams in the league, but of course you'd rather be Kobe Bryant than Kevin Martin.

j32f

New

Post by j32f » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Well, the letter notifying me that I'm waitlisted is prolly coming in today. For whatever reason, the status checker isn't updating to reflect the decision made (I know it did for my brother). Anyway, I called the admissions folks up today to ask them if they could help me out, because I'm trying to decide if it's worth driving down to view the campus tomorrow. The lady could not have been less helpful. It's been reflective of my whole admissions process. Long waits, unresponsive, and no communication. It's been frustrating because, for a while UH was my first choice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:03 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:You're missing the point.

Your question is akin to asking if you'd rather be the best players on the Dallas Mavericks, or the best player on the Houston Rockets team. Both players are "stars", and they both would likely command high value from most teams in the league, but of course you'd rather be Kobe Bryant than Kevin Martin.
Alright. Is a "free agent" UH grad near the top of his class in the same league to be signed to a top clerkship as a "free agent" UT grad?

I don't want to hijack the thread with this. Nor do I want to come across as denigrating the University of Houston; that's not my intent.

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Again, if you're asking if it's better to be a top UT grad or a top UH grad, the answer is a no-brainer.
Alright. Is a "free agent" UH grad near the top of his class in the same league to be signed to a top clerkship as a "free agent" UT grad?
Yes. Is his candidacy as strong? Not if you meant to say "top UT grad".

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm officially withdrawn. Good luck to those who are waiting.

DonnyMost, brother ... if I'm around town sometime, I'm still going to look you up and see about that beer. It'd be nice. I will say this about Houston: I've always had a good time there.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:24 pm

FunkyJD wrote:I'm officially withdrawn. Good luck to those who are waiting.

DonnyMost, brother ... if I'm around town sometime, I'm still going to look you up and see about that beer. It'd be nice. I will say this about Houston: I've always had a good time there.
:(

I'm actually really sad to hear that. Houston just lost out.

My door is open to you any time, man.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”