In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BigAristotle

Bronze

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:57 am

The U of H Admissions office is a bit rude and unhelpful. I've been accepted, and called to get some information (when seat deposits were due, ASD, or when would be a good time to visit, etc).

I asked about the due date for the seat deposit, was it April 1st, 15th, etc? The response, "Should be on your acceptance packet."
"Well, considering I've only gotten the email and I'm sitting next to 18 inches of snow, not sure when I'll get it, could you double check for me?"
"Um, it could be April 15th".

When I asked for the visitation dates and such, he said I should wait for my packet.

So; does anyone know the ASD date(s) and/or the seat deposit deadlines? :-P

Mitchske

New

Post by Mitchske » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:04 pm

I don't like the city of Houston, and thanks to this thread I can say that there is no way in hell I'll be attending in the Fall.

I'm sure it's a good school, but they really need to get their shit together.

overprivileged

New

Post by overprivileged » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:19 pm

I went "decision rendered" this morning. I REALLY wish I knew what the decision is...

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:42 pm

I got a congratulatory email as soon as my status changed.

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:52 pm

BigAristotle wrote:The U of H Admissions office is a bit rude and unhelpful. I've been accepted, and called to get some information (when seat deposits were due, ASD, or when would be a good time to visit, etc).

I asked about the due date for the seat deposit, was it April 1st, 15th, etc? The response, "Should be on your acceptance packet."
"Well, considering I've only gotten the email and I'm sitting next to 18 inches of snow, not sure when I'll get it, could you double check for me?"
"Um, it could be April 15th".

When I asked for the visitation dates and such, he said I should wait for my packet.

So; does anyone know the ASD date(s) and/or the seat deposit deadlines? :-P
joonix wrote:
G_Girl4098 wrote:Another question for those who have been accepted, what is the deposit deadline for U of H?
april 15

I really hope some of you people develope some better research skills before you start your first year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoolchick73

New

Post by lawschoolchick73 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Heard from them last night! Email sent saying I got in!

eja505

New

Post by eja505 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:06 pm

I got an email at 1:00 am saying I was in.

Now I need to decide between UH and Maryland, while I wait on UNC.

meathead

New

Post by meathead » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:08 pm

Does anyone have the email address of the asst. Dean of admissions where you are sending the LOCI's? I want to make sure I am sending mine to the correct person.

overprivileged

New

Post by overprivileged » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:21 pm

BigAristotle wrote:I got a congratulatory email as soon as my status changed.
Ug, thanks. Probably a no go then. Bummer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cachua

New

Post by cachua » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:21 pm

I was accepted in the batch right before this morning's batch, and I got my letter today. Deposit date is still April 15th.

Oh, and the Assistant Dean for Admissions is Jamie Ann West. E-mail address is lawadmissions@uh.edu, and they'll forward it to the right person.

eja505

New

Post by eja505 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:19 pm

April 15, and we're just getting the decisions now?? I've got other April 15th deposit dates, but I've known my status at those schools for months.

Of course UNC is taking their time, and it's my top choice. Looks like I'll be out a few hundred bucks if UNC lets me know after the 15th.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:57 pm

FYI folks, plenty of people on this forum, though some only privately to me, have said that it was up to a week between moving to 'decision rendered' and when they received their acceptance e-mail. Don't get discouraged if you didn't get an acceptance e-mail on the same day.

cachua

New

Post by cachua » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:34 pm

From LSN, the only applicant who got money from UH so far has 167 and 3.77. They're only getting $15,000 when last year, those stats get anywhere from 20K to 30K. This is making me nervous.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:34 am

in via email 03/26/09 at 23:55.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:37 am

Gratz!

houstonlonghorn

New

Post by houstonlonghorn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Withdrew my acceptance today. Congrats to those who have been accepted, good luck to those waiting. I will say the lack of scholarships, horrible admissions dept., are ominous signs for U of H. I think they're about to take a major hit in the rankings and reputation.

riburn3

New

Post by riburn3 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:20 pm

houstonlonghorn wrote:Withdrew my acceptance today. Congrats to those who have been accepted, good luck to those waiting. I will say the lack of scholarships, horrible admissions dept., are ominous signs for U of H. I think they're about to take a major hit in the rankings and reputation.

Why do you think they are going to take a reputation or rankings hit? I thought they polled judges and other lawyers, not angry applicants with borderline numbers.

I agree their admissions process seems silly and completely against everything they have posted on their website (especially those of you who applied ED and still haven't heard), but just because admissions is lame doesn't mean professionals that have no dealings with the admissions department are going to magically think their reputation has gone down. Also, regarding the lack of financial aid, they are still WAY cheaper then most schools similarly ranked or even lower ranked. Getting a 10k scholarship a year at a school that is around 40k a year is till gonna cost you more then UH. Not to mention housing in Houston is so cheap compared to everywhere else.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

memeME

New

Post by memeME » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:32 pm

Deposits are due on Apr 15...haven't heard anything yet. Do I send it in with a LOCI or just keep waiting?

cachua

New

Post by cachua » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:46 pm

memeME wrote:Deposits are due on Apr 15...haven't heard anything yet. Do I send it in with a LOCI or just keep waiting?
Probably not. UH doesnt strike me as a school who would let things like that sway them. There are still ED applicants who clearly demonstrate their interest that still haven't gotten in. Just wait it out.

riburn3 wrote:
houstonlonghorn wrote:Withdrew my acceptance today. Congrats to those who have been accepted, good luck to those waiting. I will say the lack of scholarships, horrible admissions dept., are ominous signs for U of H. I think they're about to take a major hit in the rankings and reputation.

Why do you think they are going to take a reputation or rankings hit? I thought they polled judges and other lawyers, not angry applicants with borderline numbers.

I agree their admissions process seems silly and completely against everything they have posted on their website (especially those of you who applied ED and still haven't heard), but just because admissions is lame doesn't mean professionals that have no dealings with the admissions department are going to magically think their reputation has gone down. Also, regarding the lack of financial aid, they are still WAY cheaper then most schools similarly ranked or even lower ranked. Getting a 10k scholarship a year at a school that is around 40k a year is till gonna cost you more then UH. Not to mention housing in Houston is so cheap compared to everywhere else.
I don't think it'll change anything either. Granted their ranking is affected by the percentage of people who turn down their offers but quite frankly, from looking at LSN, they haven't made many offers yet. Secondly, there are more people with very very good stats applying to UH this year as compared to last year. A few angry applicants who would withdraw from UH probably has other better options to go to anyways.

houstonlonghorn

New

Post by houstonlonghorn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:35 pm

Well I'm thinking there must be a reason there isn't any scholarship money to go around. Even in these tough economic times, all of the other schools I've been accepted to have offered scholarships on par with last year. I don't mean to be a downer to those who still want to attend.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:40 pm

lsb wrote:
vb007 wrote:Notified via e-mail. Online status check says "Decision rendered." Intrigued with UH because it is #2 in health law and #7 in IP, and I want to go into a field of law that is a hybrid of the two fields. I have a chemical and biomedical engineering background and I want to use my knowledge in the two fields to explore policy issues. Anyone know how UH compares to schools like UC Hastings and IU Bloomington for someone with my interests?

If your interested in health law, St. Louis University is #1. I know this doesn't answer your question but thought I would throw that in there. What are your numbers like out of curiosity? URM? Softs? Please PM me if you prefer.
If you are from Houston, going to UH for health care law would be best. The local firms love to hire local guys, and the Texas Medical Center is the largest health care district in the world, a 10 minute drive from campus. I don't think St. Louis can really compare to the health care law options you get at Houston.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschoolchick73

New

Post by lawschoolchick73 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:55 am

So I was told today by a very good friend of the dean that over 4,000 people have applied this year (much more than usual), which has thrown them off. Figured I'd pass on this tidbit :)

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:10 pm

overprivileged wrote:I went "decision rendered" this morning. I REALLY wish I knew what the decision is...
Have you heard yet?
I just saw that mine switched to decision rendered sometime on Friday too.
:shock:

cachua

New

Post by cachua » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:39 pm

Scholarships and financial aid are awarded separately. Scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admissions, and applicants selected for scholarships have been notified via email and a letter sent to the current address in our records.

Financial aid is awarded based on the FAFSA by the UH Office of Financial Aid. The bulk of your financial aid award will be in the form of student loans; Stafford loans are awarded up to the 20,500 limit, and then students may use Graduate Plus Loans up to the cost of education. The Financial Aid office has begun downloading Student Aid Reports from the Department of Education, and awarding will begin next week. Admitted students who have received their Peoplesoft ID should check their financial aid checklist to ensure that no additional documents are needed before they go through awarding.

Lisa Buentello
UHLC Office of Admissions
Does this mean that if you haven't received an e-mail yet, you're not getting anything?

agr0n9

New

Post by agr0n9 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm

^^^ This is what I overheard from Mrs. Polk last friday when I visited UH.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”