In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawschoolchick73

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by lawschoolchick73 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:26 pm

Places I've heard to live:

Midtown Area: Really close commute (no highways necessary to get there-10 min. with traffic and to a parking spot). A lot of young professionals in the area. Lots of bars and restaurants. Some of the places are a little pricier for what you get, but it's prob. one of the nicer commutes. The

Museum District: Great Area. Close to museums, zoo, park, golf, campus. but I'm guessing that's more expensive than even Midtown for housing that is still decent (there's some older/not so nice ones behind nice ones) although that area is great.

Memorial Heights Area: A little further than Museum and Midtown, but still like a 12-15 min. commute with traffic and to a spot. Nice big park and paths to run and bring dogs. Bars building up around there. Two places to live in that area are : AMLI Memorial Heights and Archstone Memorial Heights (so you guys can google it and see more if ya want).

Holly Hall (off of 288)- Tons of students live off here (ug). Priced well, tons of apartment complexes- one after the other. Not too much right around there that's great, just lots of apartments, but right off highway and close with that.

Medical Center- Another good option. Close to Rice Village (shops, restaurants), museums, zoo, running paths around Rice Uni.,.... Nice Area. Not a bad commute either (some better than others though depending on how far down). I know the AMLI Med Center has quite a few students living in it, as it's not too far from campus. Although there is a lot close, you def. have to do a little drive to get it, while some of the others have things in walking distance or almost walking distance (Memorial heights- huge park, midtown- restaurants and bars)

Galleria Area- I would honestly NOT recommend this. The Galleria Area itself is amazing, BUT the traffic can get really bad around there (really bad!) and the highway gets really backed up. I don't think somebody in law school needs to get stressed over being on time and getting stuck in traffic too. This can easily take 15-20 min. with NO traffic and that's all on highways, sooooo with all the traffic it can easily take 30 min.

memeME

New

Post by memeME » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:45 pm

:idea: please withdraw if you are not planning to attend UH...lots of us are still waiting to hear from them

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:08 am

memeME wrote::idea: please withdraw if you are not planning to attend UH...lots of us are still waiting to hear from them
The people who have been accepted and are not planning on attending don't really effect those who haven't heard yet. They effect those of us on the waitlist. You'll get an answer regardless.

P.S.
According to LSN, people have started to withdraw.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:20 am

I am definitely living in the Calhoun Lofts if they accept my application.

I put down the $30 application fee (only charged if you are accepted) for the Calhoun Lofts. I applied for 1 bed/1bath unfurnished, but I guess I might consider a roomate if anyone out there is really interested. Although the Calhoun Lofts are a bit pricey for me, the convenience is worth so much more.

If anyone else out there has already applied, let me know if and when you hear anything back from housing. Once I sent in my application, I don't think I even got a confirmation e-mail or anything.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Wow, Calhoun looks nice, but you are right, really expensive.

I'm going to head down there for 3-5 days, go condo/apartment hopping and try and make a decision then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:23 pm

BigAristotle wrote:Wow, Calhoun looks nice, but you are right, really expensive.

I'm going to head down there for 3-5 days, go condo/apartment hopping and try and make a decision then.
They are expensive but rent includes electric, cable, internet, water, etc. I think you'll be hard pressed to find another apartment complex that offers that. Plus, if you get an apartment else where for, let's say, $650 a month once you pay for all your utilties and extras it's about the same.

I just don't like how close it is to the 3rd ward. Also, I'm not sure where the closest grocery store is and according to Google maps the closest Target is about 20 mins away.

Texasapp

New

Post by Texasapp » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:41 pm

Just a heads up. UofH is kind of in the middle of no where so keep this in mind when looking at living there. Yes, you'll be right next to the Law Center but there won't be much else around at all to do. The other areas recommended (Memorial Heights, Midtown, Med Center, Museum District) are much closer to other activities.

lawschoolchick73

New

Post by lawschoolchick73 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:02 pm

I like the Calhoun Lofts. You aren't right next to the hustle and bustle of the city, but your are next to the law school, which I think speaks for itself. Plus, it's a pretty central location. 10 min. to the midtown bars and restuarants, just a little more to the memorial heights area, etc... There's a bar on campus now that stays open til 2, there's a chili's too on campus that stays open later, a mcalister's and sonic that are open until at least 7 (maybe 9?), and a subway and pizza hut that stay open late too. I went to UH for UG if you can't tell :) . So, you still have things by you, just campus stuff vs. city stuff. I think they are actually building a new center pretty close to the law center too that'll prob have restaurants and such (this is just my guess though) There are grocery stores close (although they are a little ghetto- an HEB and Kroger), but you can go into them when needed. The target (supertarget) isn't super close, but it isn't super far(8500 S Main St Houston, TX 77025). There's a nice randall's about 10 min. away in midtown (2225 Louisiana Houston, TX 77002) and a REALLY NICE and BIG kroger (1938 W. Gray,77019) just a couple min. down past that in the ritzy river oaks area. I gave addresses so you guys can mapquest them if wanted. Those are the stores that I used to go to! In houston, you pretty much have to drive from point a to point b anyways, so I would thik it might be nicer to be right next to the law school on a day to day basis and just drive a couple min. more to a grocery store or restaurant than sacrifice being further from the law school. That's my opinion though!

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:26 pm

I was talking a friend of mine who is a 1L at UofH, asking his opinion on each area. Here was an excerpt-

Him
Midtown is okay
Rice is really nice
Montrose is ballin'
fuck the Galleria
yeah within the loop is key
if you live within the loop your access to school is great, as is your access to any business you'd ever need
Me
I was contemplating buying a condo/townhome, but its too expensive in Houston. I could in Dallas. Mostly because after school I'd either buy a nice(r) place downtownish, or flee to the suburbs and deal with the traffic.

and no 3rd Ward?
Him
DUDE

NO

no Xth Ward anything

Me
Ward=Projects back East then?

Just the quick response of him to the Ward reminded me how we talk about the Projects in New England and the East Coast

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:36 pm

BigAristotle wrote: Ward=Projects back East then?
Yes

It's not an area I would recommend anyone walking around late at night. Which is why I'm hesitant to recommend anyone live on campus. It's just right in the middle of the wards.

Better places for equal amounts of money are just 10-15 minutes away in the med center or museum district.

joonix

New

Post by joonix » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:07 pm

im not a fan of midtown, it's a concrete urban jungle yet too spread out to really walk anywhere like other urban areas. Montrose/Museum District/Rice Village is basically the "cool" young part of Houston and minutes from UH. Calhoun Lofts should be ok if on-campus living is your thing, but personally I'd want to live away from the law school just so I don't get sick of seeing it. It's not a great neighborhood, either, but you're about 10-15 mins from Montrose area.

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:40 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:I am definitely living in the Calhoun Lofts if they accept my application.

I put down the $30 application fee (only charged if you are accepted) for the Calhoun Lofts. I applied for 1 bed/1bath unfurnished, but I guess I might consider a roomate if anyone out there is really interested. Although the Calhoun Lofts are a bit pricey for me, the convenience is worth so much more.

If anyone else out there has already applied, let me know if and when you hear anything back from housing. Once I sent in my application, I don't think I even got a confirmation e-mail or anything.
I think they had some lame rule about that: Only if two people are legally married, can they stay together in a 1bed/1bath. It sucks, I know. But check it out on their FAQ page.

Texasapp

New

Post by Texasapp » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Did anyone go from "File Complete" to "Decision Rendered"? I still haven't gone to "Under Review" and the Admissions Office said this process could be 2-4 weeks. I'm afraid I'm looking at late May which is ridiculous.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:04 pm

rubies wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:I am definitely living in the Calhoun Lofts if they accept my application.

I think they had some lame rule about that: Only if two people are legally married, can they stay together in a 1bed/1bath. It sucks, I know. But check it out on their FAQ page.
Word. I wouldn't want to share a bedroom anyways. If I were to have a roomate, it would be in a two bedroom apartment.

cdbaldwin

New

Post by cdbaldwin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:17 pm

I went to Houston today while dropping a friend at the airport. They still have spots at the complexes right next to campus. Bayou Oaks and Cullen Oaks are both under $600/month, furnished, utilities covered, with all the amenities. They put grad students together, really close to campus and still close enough to the fun parts of houston. I'm afraid I'll be paired with three undergrad slackers, but I'll probably spend most of my time in the library anyways. :)

lawschoolchick73

New

Post by lawschoolchick73 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:30 pm

So, anyone going to UH for sure?!

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:18 am

lawschoolchick73 wrote:So, anyone going to UH for sure?!
I sent in my deposit; but waiting on SMU and financials from both schools before making a choice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

cdbaldwin wrote:I went to Houston today while dropping a friend at the airport. They still have spots at the complexes right next to campus. Bayou Oaks and Cullen Oaks are both under $600/month, furnished, utilities covered, with all the amenities. They put grad students together, really close to campus and still close enough to the fun parts of houston. I'm afraid I'll be paired with three undergrad slackers, but I'll probably spend most of my time in the library anyways. :)
I really wouldn't recommend doing that. My brother went to UH and if I remember right one of those apartment complexes is right across from all the frat and sorority houses and the other backs up to the 3rd ward.

memeME

New

Post by memeME » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:37 pm

wish i were at the stage of figuring out where to live...instead, still waiting...................

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:27 pm

I withdrew today so hopefully that helps someone out.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:07 pm

BigAristotle wrote:
lawschoolchick73 wrote:So, anyone going to UH for sure?!
I sent in my deposit; but waiting on SMU and financials from both schools before making a choice.
Same here on both accounts. I'm also interested in seeing what happens to their rankings.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:46 am

eamonbriggs08 wrote:I'm also interested in seeing what happens to their rankings.
I don't believe the admissions office has any real bearing on rankings for a law school.

Dean Nimmer held a meeting a few weeks ago talking about cutting the amount accepted each year and increasing tuition, so if anything, the ranking will probably go up.

houstonlonghorn

New

Post by houstonlonghorn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:59 am

Higher tuition and no scholarships, yeah that should bring in the good students.

cachua

New

Post by cachua » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:16 am

houstonlonghorn wrote:Higher tuition and no scholarships, yeah that should bring in the good students.
I withdrew yesterday after reading the letter and saw it said "$200 non-refundable deposit that will NOT be applied to your tuition"

then where the eff does it go, Houston? surely not toward your scholarship fund.

houstonlonghorn

New

Post by houstonlonghorn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:49 am

If you think about it, U of H isn't that much cheaper than SMU or Baylor for most students because both of those schools are very generous with their scholarships. Another thing that bothered me about U of H's admissions was how indifferent they were. I don't know if any of you tried to schedule an ASW day, but I did, and didn't receive confirmation or any news until 2 days before the event. When I asked to reschedule, I never received a reply to my email. It's like, do they even give a damn at all? I know the deposit isn't going towards generating any brochures or pamphlets either. U of H is the only school that didn't send me a single brochure or info guide on their school. All I received was a congratulations letter and a deposit slip demanding my money. It's on par with South TX a Tier 4 school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”