In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FunkyJD

Silver

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:20 am

moonmaster3 wrote:so if we haven't received word on merit scholarships at this point...are we SOL?
A lady I spoke with in admissions today (not Dean West, someone else) was cryptic in response to my questions about merit scholarships being awarded to recent new admits, but hinted that they weren't necessarily done handing out scholarships. I couldn't pin her down in terms of timing. I don't know if that means they are waiting until after the deposit deadline, or what.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:25 am

FunkyJD wrote:
moonmaster3 wrote:so if we haven't received word on merit scholarships at this point...are we SOL?
A lady I spoke with in admissions today (not Dean West, someone else) was cryptic in response to my questions about merit scholarships being awarded to recent new admits, but hinted that they weren't necessarily done handing out scholarships. I couldn't pin her down in terms of timing. I don't know if that means they are waiting until after the deposit deadline, or what.
I was fully expecting your next avatar for scholarship luck would be even more epic boobage after the first gnarly rack got you in.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:34 am

DonnyMost wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
I was fully expecting your next avatar for scholarship luck would be even more epic boobage after the first gnarly rack got you in.
You know what ... hold the phone a second.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:36 am

Okay, we went back to the proven tar charm. Have to stay with what works.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:36 am

FunkyJD wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
You know what ... hold the phone a second.
Redemption!

Your first beer in Houston is on me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:36 am

That's a deal. :lol:

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:50 am

bauer12 wrote:To FT's still waiting:
I don't think anybody should count themselves out at this point if you haven't heard. I hate to say it but I've heard there will be a handful of people with lower numbers gaining admittance and people with higher numbers with less fortune. At this stage in the process the majority of the applicants have already been admitted so the school's target numbers are mostly established. I'm not saying.. I'm just saying don't be surprised if you see people getting in because of specific non-number related things impacting the committee's decisions(no specific regard to URM's... more like various softs)... and I mean this being applied to people hovering around the 25% line off median and probably not much lower. With this being said good luck to all.
Insider info? or just speculation?

Regardless, I hope you are correct!

hjl47

New

Post by hjl47 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:11 am

jgrin wrote: How were you not admitted? you have a CPA. Someone got in to FT with a 154 and a 3.5.
beats the hell out of me. im sure they have their reasons, but pretty bummed about the decision. heres to hoping for the best!!

Do you think they would disclose our positions in the waitlist if asked?

Duragon

New

Post by Duragon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:12 am

Is it possible to pay the UH seat deposit online? If so, how?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bauer12

New

Post by bauer12 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:03 pm

No serious inside info on that, I've just heard how the admissions process goes at this point in the game. My pre-law counselor spoke with me extensively about this a few months ago. She worked on the admissions committee for a few years at Vandy and has close friends involved with UT. She advised me to send in my application right at the deadline (I'm a bit above the 25% line). She told me that this would give me the best chance. This apparently prevents the possibility of getting the ding early in the game. Towards the end of the process they can make decisions that aren't as "number" sensitive. Not sure if you can take most admissions advice too seriously considering how much it can change from year to year but this was my course of action. Lets hope it was good advice..

knlove

New

Post by knlove » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Is anybody in the Houston area going to this tonight? Thoughts on going?

Houston-Area Reception for Admitted Students & Alumni
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
5:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
at the offices of
Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
909 Fannin Street
Houston, TX 77010

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:08 pm

bauer12 wrote:No serious inside info on that, I've just heard how the admissions process goes at this point in the game. My pre-law counselor spoke with me extensively about this a few months ago. She worked on the admissions committee for a few years at Vandy and has close friends involved with UT. She advised me to send in my application right at the deadline (I'm a bit above the 25% line). She told me that this would give me the best chance. This apparently prevents the possibility of getting the ding early in the game. Towards the end of the process they can make decisions that aren't as "number" sensitive. Not sure if you can take most admissions advice too seriously considering how much it can change from year to year but this was my course of action. Lets hope it was good advice..
Seems believable.

I am applying PT and my GPA is well above the median, but my LSAT is right at that 25% line. I go to UT now, so I am hoping that my strong GPA and undergrad prestige can push me over the threshold. Additionally, I have some softs; but they are mediocre. I am really hoping I get in.

UTL_plz

Bronze

Post by UTL_plz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Duragon wrote:Is it possible to pay the UH seat deposit online? If so, how?

Check or Money Order only i was informed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:21 pm

Withdrew today FT. Tired of waiting around for scholarship info. Good luck to all

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:09 pm

bauer12 wrote:No serious inside info on that, I've just heard how the admissions process goes at this point in the game. My pre-law counselor spoke with me extensively about this a few months ago. She worked on the admissions committee for a few years at Vandy and has close friends involved with UT. She advised me to send in my application right at the deadline (I'm a bit above the 25% line). She told me that this would give me the best chance. This apparently prevents the possibility of getting the ding early in the game. Towards the end of the process they can make decisions that aren't as "number" sensitive. Not sure if you can take most admissions advice too seriously considering how much it can change from year to year but this was my course of action. Lets hope it was good advice..
Interesting strategy...... :wink:

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:41 pm

raperez129 wrote:
Interesting strategy...... :wink:
Interesting indeed...

What will be more interesting to see, is if this theory actually manifests...

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:37 pm

Seems like a sensible strategy for what at times feels like an unreasonable admissions process.

Could an application submitted shortly after the early decision deadline but long before the regular deadline be passed over for an equivalent application sent right at the (regular) deadline? I imagine so... psychology playing its part.

You'd like to think that from the outset they place all "maybe's" applications in a giant stack to be fairly reconsidered after they give out all of their definite admits/denies. Unfortunately, comparing all of the on-the-fence candidates against one another demands an impossible time constraint. This is why your softs need to catch an eye or two and give good impression if your stats are borderline.

I applied to a previous cycle at the regular deadline (right out of UH undergrad) and was denied. Applied at the deadline this time round as well, with my LSAT a bit better and softs much better.

I'd say if you have stellar numbers, the earlier you app the better. Just don't be careless with your softs. If you have borderline numbers then I don't see how it hurts to submit near the deadline so long as you're not late. The admittance trending here shows that you most likely would not have been auto admitted, but instead WL or even worse, denied.

:idea: Anyone know what the deadline is for animal sacrifices?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bauer12

New

Post by bauer12 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Interesting thought, unfortunately I called up my shaman and was told that animal sacrifices only work for med school. You can imagine my chocolate lab's relief.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:58 pm

I was expecting a little more action/excitement on this forum this week, with all the activity the occurred last week.

Weren't yall?

skoalkat

New

Post by skoalkat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:38 pm

yeah ....I expected more too...still under review :oops:

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:47 pm

skoalkat wrote:yeah ....I expected more too...still under review :oops:
Hey, its better that we are still alive (admissions wise) than dead.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bauer12

New

Post by bauer12 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:48 pm

Seriously, I'm feeling like tomorrow may be an active day.... premonition

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:51 pm

bauer12 wrote:Seriously, I'm feeling like tomorrow may be an active day.... premonition
lolz

Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Post by Texasboundanddown » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:34 am

jgrin wrote:I was expecting a little more action/excitement on this forum this week, with all the activity the occurred last week.

Weren't yall?
Last week I felt alot of people went into review and the same number were given decisions (lotta WL with some admittances). I'd say another two weeks before we see the same amount of action.

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:42 am

Last week I felt alot of people went into review and the same number were given decisions (lotta WL with some admittances). I'd say another two weeks before we see the same amount of action.
Isn't the deadline April 15th for seat deposits?

I don't know how last year looked, but I wonder if they'll admit a small batch before that deadline. If they've already admitted a sizable number, then you're probably right... in limbo for another 2 weeks.

On a lighter note, how 'bout them Lastros?!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”