In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LawHorn

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by LawHorn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:16 am

Russ wrote:
LawHorn wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble getting a response out of Houston? I have called 4 times a day since last Friday and noone has even answered the phone. I left a message on Monday, no call back. I sent an e-mail yesterday morning, no response... What the hell is going on over there?
I don't know, but I have just about had enough. They sent me a denial letter in error, followed by a spot on the waitlist. Now I am experiencing the same thing you are describing. Somebody finally just answered an email that I sent weeks ago. A friend of mine who just graduated from there described this as "typical" and said getting anything done out of that office is like pulling teeth.

I am in at Tulane, but was going to wait out Houston. Not so sure anymore.
And now we are going on a week of no response... I would be done with them if in-state tuition wasn't such a great deal. I am in at Penn State and my final deposit is due tomorrow. I am also waitlisted at Tulane. I really love Tulane and would prefer to go there over Houston or Penn State, but the cost of attendance is just so much more than Houston. What are your reasons for waiting on U of H?

burgundy

New

Post by burgundy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 pm

BigAristotle wrote:Just got my commitment notice emailed to me. Due (not postmarked, DUE) by June 19th.
You can also fax it in or scan+email it in too.

memeME

New

Post by memeME » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:55 am

waitlisted but really want to attend UH...tuition fees due at second choice school...what's a waitlister to do????

kmcquire

New

Post by kmcquire » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:04 pm

kmcquire wrote:
Quote:
kmcquire wrote:
Yayyy! I got my seat back!

congrats
did it take some fancy tap dancing or just old fashion begging?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy busy. I just emailed and let them know that sensitive circumstances changed that basically required me to reside in Houston. It wasn't even a problem...at all. I also got all of my grants back and financial aid without a problem.

Still hoping to get off of the waitlist at UTexas though

well I am glad all worked out well
would you rather go to UT?
I am happy to have been accepted to South Texas College of Law

I would much rather go to UTexas. I'm getting a bit more aggressive in my LOCIs. UT can be really touchy and sensitive so I've been very careful with how I've worded my LOCIs. We got an email on the first, however, communicating that it would be unlikely that any waitlisters would be offered admissions considering the circumstances of this cycle. In this LOCI I basically told them that, in spite of this condition, I will not cease to update my application, look for more experience that would enhance my qualifications...basically saying that they can't get rid of me that easily. I would drop everything to go to UTexas.

I've heard of South Texas, but where is it?

hras

New

Post by hras » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:09 pm

memeME wrote:waitlisted but really want to attend UH...tuition fees due at second choice school...what's a waitlister to do????
Well it looks like you need to make sure you do go to law school. Since you really want to go to UH email a short note telling them your prediciment and if they can give you a decision by that date you would love to go to UH. I am not impressed with them at all. I thinks its nuts that they are not going to make final decisions until August.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:16 pm

kmcquire wrote: I would much rather go to UTexas. I'm getting a bit more aggressive in my LOCIs. UT can be really touchy and sensitive so I've been very careful with how I've worded my LOCIs. We got an email on the first, however, communicating that it would be unlikely that any waitlisters would be offered admissions considering the circumstances of this cycle. In this LOCI I basically told them that, in spite of this condition, I will not cease to update my application, look for more experience that would enhance my qualifications...basically saying that they can't get rid of me that easily. I would drop everything to go to UTexas.

I've heard of South Texas, but where is it?
South Texas (STCL) is in Houston. It's a Tier 4 school. By no means is it on a level-playing field as UT but I have a lot of friends and family from Houston and they all say STCL is well-respected there fwiw.

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:49 pm

When is orientation for UH?
FT? PT? Is it different?

Lawsixsigma

New

Post by Lawsixsigma » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:03 pm

Called UH and was told they are on the verge of reviewing the waitlist. Anybody else got a similar response?

s1lent

New

Post by s1lent » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Lawsixsigma wrote:Called UH and was told they are on the verge of reviewing the waitlist. Anybody else got a similar response?
Hi,
I'm really new to this, just made an account today. Kelly Polk (director of admissions I believe) told me that they would start reviewing waitlisted files in July??? I guess I'd better send my updated resume and whatnot in, I was just waitlisted a few days ago. :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

_accent_1_0_

New

Post by _accent_1_0_ » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:45 am

did anyone (part-time) recently switch do decision rendered 6/10? If so... have you received your letter yet?

Lawsixsigma

New

Post by Lawsixsigma » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:48 pm

I am Part-time, waitlisted. Had decision rendered way back on 4/16, and got letter in the mail 2 days later.

Lawsixsigma

New

Post by Lawsixsigma » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:35 pm

I just got an e-mail from Ms. Polk at UH Law Center that read:

Dear ....

"Thank you for your continued interest in the University of Houston Law Center and for your patience with our waitlist process. I know you are anxious to hear from us so that you can finalize your plans for the fall. Our second commitment for our deposited students is due at the end of this week. Once we have confirmed with these students, we will begin assessing the class in early July ....."
Did anyone get a similar e-mail? The entire content of the e-mail suggest that they are trying to 'weed' out the non-active waitlisters from the pack.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thiscyclesucks

New

Post by thiscyclesucks » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:05 pm

Does anyone think that LSAC sending out its list of people who are holding multiple seat deposits is going to have any effect on UH?

If so, the day LSAC sends out the list is today.

maxcap

New

Post by maxcap » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:45 pm

thiscyclesucks wrote:Does anyone think that LSAC sending out its list of people who are holding multiple seat deposits is going to have any effect on UH?

If so, the day LSAC sends out the list is today.

I am not exactly too sure about that. If you have one seat deposit I do not think that would make a difference. After all in the letter they said they understand that being placed on the waitlist requires you to possibly set up other plans. At this point though, I do not think it that it makes sense to have multiple seat deposits. If you have more than one (and you know you are not going to that school) go ahead and release your seat for another.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:16 am

Poll: What laptop brand/model are you probably going to use next year?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Into the part-time program as of today.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lawsixsigma

New

Post by Lawsixsigma » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:20 pm

Congrats!!!!
Were you originally waitlisted? How did you receive the admission?

Lawsixsigma

New

Post by Lawsixsigma » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:55 am

Has anyone recieved any new information on the waitlist at UH?

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:04 pm

A'nold wrote:Into the part-time program as of today.
Congrats A'nold...does that change anything for you as far as your current plans? Houston could use some good DA's too :)

maxcap

New

Post by maxcap » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Lawsixsigma wrote:Has anyone recieved any new information on the waitlist at UH?
I have not. The committment letter was due as of this past Friday, so I do not believe we will hear anything for at least one more week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:36 pm

maxcap wrote:
Lawsixsigma wrote:Has anyone recieved any new information on the waitlist at UH?
I have not. The committment letter was due as of this past Friday, so I do not believe we will hear anything for at least one more week.
Check your email. Something was sent out from the addmissions office regarding the waitlist last Monday.

maxcap

New

Post by maxcap » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:39 pm

G_Girl4098 wrote:
maxcap wrote:
Check your email. Something was sent out from the addmissions office regarding the waitlist last Monday.
Yeah, I received that, but I assumed he meant in addition that email.

Smart_Guy

New

Post by Smart_Guy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:32 am

Lawsixsigma wrote:I just got an e-mail from Ms. Polk at UH Law Center that read:

Dear ....

"Thank you for your continued interest in the University of Houston Law Center and for your patience with our waitlist process. I know you are anxious to hear from us so that you can finalize your plans for the fall. Our second commitment for our deposited students is due at the end of this week. Once we have confirmed with these students, we will begin assessing the class in early July ....."
Did anyone get a similar e-mail? The entire content of the e-mail suggest that they are trying to 'weed' out the non-active waitlisters from the pack.
Hey Lawsixsigma,

I was also waitlisted at UHLC/PT program as of last week. Although I have not received that same email you posted, I am told by the admissions committee that they will begin assessing candidates from their wait-list in early July. The thing is, I was also admitted into the PT program at MSU (Michigan State) with a 50% scholarship last week as well.

I am already dead-set on attending UHLC if I can get in (even without sholarship $$)....as they are a higher ranked program than MSU in generic rankings as well as within IP Law, which is what I wanna study. Not to mention the fact that I attended MSU for 6 years as an UG and for an MBA. In addition, the economy here in Michigan sucks way worse than anyplace else in America, and from what I've gathered, UHLC places well regionally as well as in Texas.

On the money side, UHLC is a public school with $13K/yr tution (in-state). Factoring in living expenses at about $10-15K/yr, I would only be looking at about $70K in debt as opposed to the $100K debt if I went to MSU (even with the 50% scholarship).

What do you think?

Lawsixsigma

New

Post by Lawsixsigma » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:40 am

Smart_guy,
We obviously share the same passion for IP Law, and arguably, there is no better place here in Texas for IP law than UH. I have lived in Houston the last 11 years, 4 of which I was in the graduate program at the college of engineering at UH, so I am very much aware of the clout UH Law holds over most of the schools here in Texas. I have also received offers from other law schools with $$, but lower ranked than UH and with IP programs not even close to that of UH. Not counting the fact that UH is a much cheaper program. So it's no brainer why UH remains my first choice and I am willing to "wait out" the waitlist. I will recommend you do the same, and if you do get in, there will be no regrets.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”