In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BleedBlue83

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:54 pm

Question:

Has anyone NOT waitlisted sent in further written (letter or by e-mail) correspondence to the admissions office since submitting their application?

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:31 pm

texag08 wrote:Okay so here is my deal.

161, 3.41, undergrad at Texas A&M.

Applied Full time and was waitlisted.

Changed my status to part time only and now have yet to hear back (i was waitlisted 2 weeks ago).

Anyone know when we should hear something back and how i would fare?

The reason i am applying part time is because i am an officer in the army reserves and have a wife and kid.

Thanks!!
I only applied to PT on 3/3/10.
My application has been silent, except for status checker going In Review on 3/29.
Seems most PT decisions come out May/June.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:31 pm

raperez129 wrote:

I only applied to PT on 3/3/10.
My application has been silent, except for status checker going In Review on 3/29.
Seems most PT decisions come out May/June.
I applied 2/3/10, and went under review 3/31. I read through all the posts from last year and realized like you, that most PT decisions start in May, and go all the way through July. I told myself I don't want to check the status checker every day for 5 months, and lurk in this forum, yet I do it anyway.

In fact I keep checking more frequently. It's become a habit. Any sign of life, even if it's not on my app gives me some encouragement, so I'm really looking forward to some movement now that the first deposit is gone. I was looking at some of the other threads and they are in some cases long lists of people withdrawing today... I wish it was the same here!

jammin_j0e

New

Post by jammin_j0e » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:59 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:Question:

Has anyone NOT waitlisted sent in further written (letter or by e-mail) correspondence to the admissions office since submitting their application?
I did but only b/c I had relevant info to update them on -- accolades, conference papers etc.

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:43 am

springfever wrote:The UH library is named after a houston lawyer who made a huge killing with silicone implant cases not big law. A law degree opens the door to endless possibilities.

The question is how much do I pay to open door!!!

***Discalimer: Please do not make any decisions based on my musings.
1) "Big law is not hiring" = False & Sarah Palin Retarded. Big Law reduced their hiring (so did every corporation in the US), but it is picking back up, and in 3 years it will have improved further. Just think about this: UH placed 18% of its class in the top 250 firms in the country. Top20% of a tier2 school is getting big law/the cream of mid law.

2) A degree from UH will not hinder you from attaining partner at a law firm. True, a T14 JD carries slightly more weight. But performance and ability to make it rain is what matters for partner track.

3) In regard to your specific situation... It's not a matter of how much you want to pay to open the door. It's a matter of what you want. If you just want to practice any kind of law, anywhere, and cost is a big priority - take Baylor. If you want to work in Htown, and you would like to work in midlaw or biglaw, and most importantly make lots of $$$ - UH would give you a huge advantage. So it is really a matter of your career goals. It is realistic to go to UH, work hard, and get a mid/big law job. This is not realistic at Baylor. (I'll hate myself for doing this... but I would guesstimate top 10% at Baylor = top 40% at UH in terms of mid/big law)

4) 80k debt with a 6-figure salary vs 0 debt making 50k. And you'll be working close to the same hours.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mr.ford

New

Post by mr.ford » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:09 am

But performance and ability to make it rain is what matters for partner track.
Couldn't agree more with both your point and your language :mrgreen:

springfever

New

Post by springfever » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:45 am

Hey, I appreciate the dialogue. As you can tell I am put off by UH right now. The admissions office has been cold and matter of fact regarding extremely important issues. Baylor has shown class and actually seems to want me to attend! Baylor has a superb network of grads and big law recruits their litigators. It will all come down to scholly money. UH said more is on the way, but I am beginning to doubt the promisses when I read about budget cuts.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:31 am

springfever wrote:Hey, I appreciate the dialogue. As you can tell I am put off by UH right now. The admissions office has been cold and matter of fact regarding extremely important issues. Baylor has shown class and actually seems to want me to attend! Baylor has a superb network of grads and big law recruits their litigators. It will all come down to scholly money. UH said more is on the way, but I am beginning to doubt the promisses when I read about budget cuts.
You're not going to get more $$ from U of H than you will from Baylor. It seems that you've already made your decision, though. There's a Baylor thread :)

springfever

New

Post by springfever » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:54 am

Bustang wrote:
springfever wrote:Hey, I appreciate the dialogue. As you can tell I am put off by UH right now. The admissions office has been cold and matter of fact regarding extremely important issues. Baylor has shown class and actually seems to want me to attend! Baylor has a superb network of grads and big law recruits their litigators. It will all come down to scholly money. UH said more is on the way, but I am beginning to doubt the promisses when I read about budget cuts.
You're not going to get more $$ from U of H than you will from Baylor. It seems that you've already made your decision, though. There's a Baylor thread :)
Did you hear from UH regarding your merit-based scholly request?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tx1987

Bronze

Post by tx1987 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:02 am

I know exactly what you mean. I just put down my deposit yesterday and, even though it's non-refundable, I'm going to take the hit and withdraw today. When I spoke to the secretary yesterday regarding a question I had, I was treated very, very rudely and unprofessionally. And that is how I've been treated every time I've called. I was already on the fence about U of H - the lower cost was the only thing luring me in - and that RUDE rude woman completely pushed me over the edge yesterday. I'm not going to go to a school where I'm not treated as an asset.
Last edited by tx1987 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:11 am

"File In Review" date changed again today to 4/16

First "File In Review" date was 3/31

"Application Complete" date 2/5

153/3.47/non-URM/PT

Anybody else?

springfever

New

Post by springfever » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:26 am

tx1987 wrote:
I know exactly what you mean. I just put down my deposit yesterday and, even though it's non-refundable, I'm going to take the hit and withdraw today. When I spoke to the secretary yesterday regarding a question I had, I was treated very, very rudely and unprofessionally. And that is how I've been treated every time I've called. I was already on the fence about U of H - the lower cost was the only thing luring me in - and that RUDE rude woman completely pushed me over the edge yesterday. I'm not going to go to a school where I'm not treated as an asset.
Amen! Good luck to all!

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:31 am

jgrin wrote:"File In Review" date changed again today to 4/16

153/3.47/non-URM/PT

Anybody else?
Me too. Complete 2/3, in review 3/31, now in review 4/16. 3.5, 159, PT.

I wish I could remember what this means. I've read through the thread a million times. I know it is common to have the review date change, and it is not necessarily a bad or a good sign, but I do think it means we're going to wait a bit longer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:38 am

153/3.47/non-URM/PT

Anybody else?

Nothing new for me. I saw your post and straight away went to my status checker hopeful I'd see some action since it seems our apps have tracked pretty close to date. But nothing for me. Just the same old In Revew 3/29/10. :roll:

roofles

New

Post by roofles » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:55 am

153/3.47/non-URM/PT

Anybody else?
Application submitted 2/15

"File Complete" date 2/15

File complete e-mail 2/16

nothing since.

161/2.7/non-URM/PT :evil:

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:00 pm

roofles wrote:

153/3.47/non-URM/PT

Anybody else?
Application submitted 2/15

"File Complete" date 2/15

File complete e-mail 2/16

nothing since.

161/2.7/non-URM/PT :evil:
Application submitted 3/2

"File Complete" date 3/5

"In Review" date 3/29

155/3.08/URM/PT

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:01 pm

raperez129 wrote:

153/3.47/non-URM/PT

Anybody else?

Nothing new for me. I saw your post and straight away went to my status checker hopeful I'd see some action since it seems our apps have tracked pretty close to date. But nothing for me. Just the same old In Revew 3/29/10. :roll:
This may be a blessing RAperez... I just looked through last year at this timeframe again. I found 4 people who went in review 4/2, who then changed to 4/16. All 4 of them received decisions on 4/28 or 5/1, and they were all waitlisted. Again, this should be taken completely with a grain of salt, because everything can change from year to year, but it doesn't exactly inspire me.

Maybe you're better off NOT to have your review date change.

The other pattern I noticed from last year is that everything seems to happen in 2 week cycles. 4/2, 4/16, 4/28, 5/13, etc. This year seems to be following the same trend. Again, I am staying optimistic, and I still feel good, but I think it could be interpreted that a change in review date means a reviewer took a look at your app, and wasn't confident enough to accept it flat out in this 2 week period, but they passed it on to someone else, who may review it again in the context of new applications and withdrawals, and hopefully they have more confidence than the first reviewer. Either way, we should see either a decision, or another review date change, in about 2 weeks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

0 and 16

New

Post by 0 and 16 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Interesting editorial article from the Houston Chronicle in 2006. This was written after Dean Rapoport resigned following some USNEWS ranking controversy. The article primarily cites then UT Law prof. Brian Leiter who says based on faculty, UH is definitely the second best law school in the state. Worth a read for anyone seeking extra validation in attending UH.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 03208.html

billaboy12

New

Post by billaboy12 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:52 pm

just got a scholarship email.. in-state plus 5000. for those of you still waiting, i guess they did decide to give out some scholarships after the deposit deadline. I had sent in multiple emails to Dean West and Scott Palmer, explaining my need to hear back. FWIW, I also stated that I had already submitted my seat deposit. numbers - 163/3.4. good luck to everyone still waiting on decisions and/or scholarships. it's looking more and more like i'll be in Houston come fall.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:54 pm

billaboy12 wrote:just got a scholarship email.. in-state plus 5000. for those of you still waiting, i guess they did decide to give out some scholarships after the deposit deadline. I had sent in multiple emails to Dean West and Scott Palmer, explaining my need to hear back. FWIW, I also stated that I had already submitted my seat deposit. numbers - 163/3.4. good luck to everyone still waiting on decisions and/or scholarships. it's looking more and more like i'll be in Houston come fall.
Awesome. I just shot off my e-mail yesterday so hopefully I'll hear back soon. I have similar numbers to yours.

FB567

New

Post by FB567 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:39 pm

billaboy12 wrote:just got a scholarship email.. in-state plus 5000. for those of you still waiting, i guess they did decide to give out some scholarships after the deposit deadline. I had sent in multiple emails to Dean West and Scott Palmer, explaining my need to hear back. FWIW, I also stated that I had already submitted my seat deposit. numbers - 163/3.4. good luck to everyone still waiting on decisions and/or scholarships. it's looking more and more like i'll be in Houston come fall.
Congrats! What did you say in the email? I emailed Dean West a few times, but I got the standard response "we will continue to make scholarship offers into the summer as funds become available." I even sent in copies of my award letters from other schools =(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

billaboy12

New

Post by billaboy12 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:13 am

FB567 wrote:
Congrats! What did you say in the email? I emailed Dean West a few times, but I got the standard response "we will continue to make scholarship offers into the summer as funds become available." I even sent in copies of my award letters from other schools =(
pretty much i just stated my case and told them to take their time. My second email was in reply to a "reminder" message to submit my deposit. Dean West said she would look into it once she got back to the office, and I received the scholarship email the next day.

rulagi

New

Post by rulagi » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:26 pm

billaboy12 wrote:
FB567 wrote:
pretty much i just stated my case and told them to take their time. My second email was in reply to a "reminder" message to submit my deposit. Dean West said she would look into it once she got back to the office, and I received the scholarship email the next day.
I emailed the school regarding a separate matter and threw in a question in the end about the possibility of a merit-based scholarship. Literally six minutes later I received a reply from Dean West that I too got a 5k scholly, with a pretty weak GPA. Seems like they are really trying to quash the rumors of massive cuts.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Did anyone else go "File-In-Review" for the second time on 4/16?

atfarmer

New

Post by atfarmer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:41 pm

I just withdrew with 5k/year. Best of luck to the people still waiting

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”