In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jchak87

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by jchak87 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:02 am

Decision Rendered 4/2, decision letter mailed out 4/2. It lists decision letter mailed on 4/2 TWICE though... No email yet. I am freaking out!

157, 3.77

mandingo

New

Post by mandingo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:35 pm

jchak87 wrote:Decision Rendered 4/2, decision letter mailed out 4/2. It lists decision letter mailed on 4/2 TWICE though... No email yet. I am freaking out!

157, 3.77

Same here ... Oh Boy.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:40 pm

My status had me have my letter mailed twice. Not sure if it means anything.

FYI- I was accepted.

mandingo

New

Post by mandingo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:40 pm

BigAristotle wrote:My status had me have my letter mailed twice. Not sure if it means anything.

FYI- I was accepted.
Did you get an email right away?

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:43 pm

My status changed and I got an email the same day; I actually got an email that morning as I got into work, before I checked my status checker. However, other people on this thread have said its taken up to a week to get their email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bebe09

New

Post by bebe09 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:44 pm

My status changed on the site last Friday and I received an admission email at 10 p.m. that night. Seemed kind of strange, but I just received my official acceptance letter yesterday. I also received information about admitted student's day on Monday of this week.

mandingo

New

Post by mandingo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:46 pm

Ok. It seems like their notifications are totally random. Their isn't a clear pattern per se.

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:54 pm

mandingo wrote:Ok. It seems like their notifications are totally random. Their isn't a clear pattern per se.
Not at all.
Also, some people on here have reported getting their emails at like 1am on Sunday.

Go figure

davidin

New

Post by davidin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:30 pm

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mardimar

New

Post by mardimar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:07 pm

Last edited by mardimar on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:09 pm

mardimar wrote:gah, i'm still at 'file complete'
same...so annoying :evil:

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:39 pm

I'm sure it's discussed here somewhere, but how long did it take from 'under review' to 'decision'? I went under review on 4/1. Just curious.

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:44 pm

MLong wrote:I'm sure it's discussed here somewhere, but how long did it take from 'under review' to 'decision'? I went under review on 4/1. Just curious.
It's been different for everyone.
Personally, I went under review 12/02, my status date changed 4 times, finally went to decision rendered last Friday (3/27), and my letter wasn't mailed til yesterday (4/02).
There's not a whole lot of rhyme or reason to any of this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jchak87

New

Post by jchak87 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:27 pm

Got my decision letter, rejected. I still dont know why it says they sent me two letters though. I highly doubt the second letter (if any) will be an acceptance. I guess is Baylor for now until I hear back from SMU. Stupid UH....

lawschoolchick73

New

Post by lawschoolchick73 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:58 pm

So, anyone on here going to UH for sure?!

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:11 am

Waitlisted.
What additional documents, if any, are all the other waitlisted people sending?

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:09 am

Has anyone else gotten their PeopleSoft ID/Email thingabobber? I don't have any financial aid information listed there, did anyone have their awards already put in there, or is it blank for you too?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:54 pm

I know the Third Ward is a bit sketchy (at best), where do most people tend to live, or plan on living? Any suggestions on which direction to head?

I'm looking at either renting a decent apartment; or buying a condo/townhouse if I can find one worth the investment, if it makes any difference. Thanks!

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:04 pm

BigAristotle wrote:I know the Third Ward is a bit sketchy (at best), where do most people tend to live, or plan on living? Any suggestions on which direction to head?

I'm looking at either renting a decent apartment; or buying a condo/townhouse if I can find one worth the investment, if it makes any difference. Thanks!
As a Houston resident, I would go either North or West past 288. Going North of 45, you come to an area that has a fair number of students--in my experience, anyway--mixed in with a lot of hispanic families who have frequently been in the area quite a while.

Going west of 288, you have the medical center/rice area and go up north and you have Montrose which is the interesting/gay/hippie part of town

PTask

New

Post by PTask » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Just got my acceptance letter in the mail. (160/3.85)

Went decision rendered last Thursday... never got an email... acceptance came in a regular plain white envelope (so I expecting wait list or rejection)... but it was an acceptance... I guess they like to throw curve balls

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:47 pm

BigAristotle wrote:I know the Third Ward is a bit sketchy (at best), where do most people tend to live, or plan on living? Any suggestions on which direction to head?

The Calhoun Lofts should be open in August, and you can't get any closer than that but if you want to live off campus then the Galleria area, Greenway Plaza/Upper Kirby, Medical Center, The Heights, Rice Village, West University, Midtown are all probably your best bets. There are lots of shiney, new, expensive places there but you can also find some decently priced older places.

I was told to try:
http://www.HAR.com

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:14 am

G_Girl4098 wrote:The Calhoun Lofts should be open in August, and you can't get any closer than that but if you want to live off campus then the Galleria area, Greenway Plaza/Upper Kirby, Medical Center, The Heights, Rice Village, West University, Midtown are all probably your best bets. There are lots of shiney, new, expensive places there but you can also find some decently priced older places.

I was told to try:
Calhoun lofts are seriously just across a parking lot, but they're on UH campus, which isn't exactly the safest of areas. I know of 2 people in my 1L section that live on campus in the "Graduate" housing, but they say it's nothing too great, but it is convenient.

I'd say most people live in the Med Center, Rice Village, Museum District, or commute from the suburbs. I've lived in the med center this year, and it's just a 10 minute drive to campus from my apartment, but I'm moving closer to the Bellaire area because I wanted more space at a cheaper price. Midtown area is ridiculously expensive, but if you have the cash, then go for it.

Har.com is great if you want to lease a condo or house, or even want to buy a house. I recommend http://www.intheloopproperties.com if you're looking to rent an apartment and have no idea where to start, specifically Drew Pursell, he was my leasing agent. You don't pay them anything, they just get a commission off your rent. I worked with them to find my new apartment. Or you can check out http://www.rent.com to get a general feel of the area. I put together an excel spreadsheet with some of the local apartments I was considering with their prices and sq footage, so if you send me your email I'd be happy to forward that list along.

smiley87

New

Post by smiley87 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:49 am

xx
Last edited by smiley87 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

health

New

Post by health » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:03 am

I had no financial aid info at my peoplesoft acct. either. The school says it should be out early April, so I guess there is still some time.

I got in about 10 days ago via email, but since I am in Japan I have not received the paperwork yet.

Can anyone tell me when the deposit (and how much) is due?

I have more or less narrowed my choice down to UH and Case-Western. BUT, I have never been to Texas before....... so it makes deciding difficult.

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:10 am

Josh the Goat wrote:
G_Girl4098 wrote:The Calhoun Lofts should be open in August, and you can't get any closer than that but if you want to live off campus then the Galleria area, Greenway Plaza/Upper Kirby, Medical Center, The Heights, Rice Village, West University, Midtown are all probably your best bets. There are lots of shiney, new, expensive places there but you can also find some decently priced older places.

I was told to try:

I'd say most people live in the Med Center, Rice Village, Museum District, or commute from the suburbs.
Don't commute from the suburbs. You will hate life. Take this from someone who has lived most of her life in the northwest suburban area of Houston and has had to commute downtown for work during the summers.

Of course if you are PT you will be going to class from 6-9, and it won't be so bad. But if you are FT I would HIGHLY recommend living as close as possible. Remember 1L's don't get to pick class times. You are at the mercy of the university on that one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”