In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
roofles

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by roofles » Mon May 24, 2010 10:50 pm

I was totally unimpressed with the lack of info during the UH application process and the content of the waitlist letter so I withdrew from the PT waitlist. Good luck to those on the waitlist.

bigred77

New

Post by bigred77 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:29 am

roofles,

I too have become growingly frusterated with the extremely poor communication coming from the admissions office. Good luck to you if you choose to go elsewhere and thank you for withdrawing to give others a better chance.

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Update (a few days old) from the admissions blog. Clarification of the "second deposit/letter" was good information.

Your Waitlist Answers

Posted by UHLC Admissions on May 21, 2010

Earlier this week, I offered to answer questions related to the waitlist process at UHLC. A few of you submitted similar questions, so I have paraphrased them below. Notably, certain privacy and confidentiality limitations exist in the admissions world that hinder my ability to fully answer a few of your questions. With that being said, here you go:

Based upon last year’s message boards, there was a fair bit of activity in mid to late July. What will be the timeline this year?

* Honestly, every year is very different. While we have started to look at the waitlist, no offers have been made at this time. Some years more waitlisted folks get offers than other years–thus, the timeline of activity varies considerably. Believe me, I really wish I could tell you that by X time you will know your fate, but that is not the nature of the waitlist beast. However, the Admissions Committee will continue to consider waitlisted candidates throughout the summer.

Does UHLC require a second seat deposit from accepted applicants & base its review of the waitlist files on the receipt of this second deposit?

* In lieu of a second deposit, the Office of Admissions will be sending a second letter to our accepted applicants in the next week or so which essentially is an enrollment commitment form. This letter requests permission to register the applicant for fall classes. Thus, those applicants who are holding out for another school or have multiple seat deposits are essentially forced to make a decision on their status with UHLC. This activity gives us a better snapshot of how many people we will need from the waitlist to fill vacant seats. However, this form is not an exact science and cannot fully predict who from the admitted applicant pool will matriculate with the Law Center. But it at least gives us some sort of guesstimate.

Does UHLC receive LSAC’s multiple seat deposit report (overlap report) and if so, does the Law Center request that those admitted applicants holding multiple deposits take some kind of action?

* UHLC does receive this overlap report–most law schools do. Upon receipt, we try to work with those accepted candidates to help them finalize their law school plans. Most “overlap” applicants understand that holding seats at multiple schools prevents waitlisted candidates from getting an offer and therefore, they make a good faith effort in choosing a law school as quickly as possible.

Should supplemental materials be sent directly to the Law Center Admissions e-mail or physical address, or should it be routed through LSAC as previously required (additional LOR, updated resume, and/or completed transcript)?

* Please send any transcripts to LSAC so they can recalculate your GPA previously reported to our office. An additional letter of recommendation or an updated resume should be sent directly to our office. However, remember to keep updates to your file within reason–only send them if there is something new and outstanding that might influence our decision on your file.

I would like to visit the law school, when will the schedule for summer visits be available?

* Currently, the Law Center is open to those who would like to undertake a self-guided tour of our facilities. The self-guided tour is identical to that which you would receive from a student ambassador or admissions staff member. On June 7th we will post our guided tour schedule for the remainder of the summer. Class visits will resume in the fall.

How many people are on the full-time waitlist?

* Unfortunately, this information is confidential and cannot be disclosed.

In years past, what is the percentage of candidates who received offers from the full-time waitlist?

* Unfortunately, this has varied greatly over the years, so I cannot give you an exact answer. Some years we have made few, if any offers. Other years, there have been quite a few waitlist applicants who received offers.

Compared to other law schools, is the full-time waitlist at UHLC longer or shorter?

* Unfortunately, we do not have access to the waitlist statistics at other law schools–so we don’t have a clue how our list matches up with others. Sorry.

Thanks to those who submitted the great questions!! Should the above Q&A trigger additional questions, I am leaving the comments open over the weekend and I will answer them Monday afternoon. Have a great weekend!

2013ek

New

Post by 2013ek » Wed May 26, 2010 6:06 pm

My gf got a FT admit off the Waitlist today, so it has officially begun.

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:57 am

2013ek wrote:My gf got a FT admit off the Waitlist today, so it has officially begun.
Smack her for me.

....I mean, congrats!

Can anyone confirm whether or not they have sent the "enrollment letter" out to current admittances?

Seriously, happy for you guys and best of luck if she plans on accepting the offer!
Last edited by BleedBlue83 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

billaboy12

New

Post by billaboy12 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:25 am

BleedBlue83 wrote:
2013ek wrote:My gf got a FT admit off the Waitlist today, so it has officially begun.
Can anyone confirm whether or not they have sent the "enrollment letter" out to current admittances?
yeah they sent it out by email. I received mine on the 25th, dated the 26th.

bigred77

New

Post by bigred77 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:26 am

It really annoys me that they are taking people off the WL already when I am STILL "in review." I understand for FT they need to get decisions out before people accept at other schools but it still annoys me. If I hear any PT WL candidates getting in I would be REALLY pissed if I still havn't heard my regular decision yet.

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:56 am

It's agonizing, I know, but I wouldn't worry too much. The PT deadline was not even 2 weeks ago, and they're aiming to wrap up PT app reviews by early June. You'll find out any day now.

utswdukie80

New

Post by utswdukie80 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:04 am

Well, I've officially withdrawn from UH. I hope one of you guys on here gets my spot and money. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:53 pm

bigred77 wrote:It really annoys me that they are taking people off the WL already when I am STILL "in review." I understand for FT they need to get decisions out before people accept at other schools but it still annoys me. If I hear any PT WL candidates getting in I would be REALLY pissed if I still havn't heard my regular decision yet.
I'll trade you.
You can have my PT WL spot, and I'll take your PT "in review" spot..... :mrgreen:

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:31 am

Any movement for those of you on the WL?

I'm again checking my status daily given that it's June (my status date remains 5/6 DR - WL). Anyone receive further e-mail correspondence from the admissions office?

These next two months represent that last push, and lately it's been hard not to expect the worst.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:44 am

Absolutley no change here either. :roll:

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:45 am

BleedBlue83 wrote:Any movement for those of you on the WL?

I'm again checking my status daily given that it's June (my status date remains 5/6 DR - WL). Anyone receive further e-mail correspondence from the admissions office?

These next two months represent that last push, and lately it's been hard not to expect the worst.
Stay positive, remember there were several examples of people getting in off the waitlist last year, all people just like you. The only negative of course is that many of them went through the suffering waiting like you are into late July, but now that they have finished their first full year of classes the wait they endured is probably the last thing on their mind.

I keep checking in here to see how you and some others fare.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words.

I'm certainly trying my best to stay hopeful. At this point if I am fortunate enough to be offered a seat it'll taste so damn sweet.... at least until the end of the first month of classes when you begin to wonder what you got yourself into. 8)

batch

New

Post by batch » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:07 pm

BleedBlue83 wrote:Thanks for the encouraging words.

I'm certainly trying my best to stay hopeful. At this point if I am fortunate enough to be offered a seat it'll taste so damn sweet.... at least until the end of the first month of classes when you begin to wonder what you got yourself into. 8)
2nd that. I bet some may be waiting on June LSAT scores.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:22 pm

I sent in a second LOCI today. My excuse this time was that I recently moved, and needed to update my addy. I also sent an updated resume.

And so the waitlist wait continues..... :?

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm not gonna lie, I've submitted two formal letters as well. However, I did make sure they were spaced apart by 4-5 weeks, per advice given on TLS and other sources.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

choochoo

Bronze

Post by choochoo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Just got an acceptance e-mail today off the FT WL, no idea what I'm going to do... I think I'll visit in the next week or so

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:05 pm

choochoo wrote:Just got an acceptance e-mail today off the FT WL, no idea what I'm going to do... I think I'll visit in the next week or so
Same here. Unless the SMU waitlist comes through, my options are Baylor starting in Spring or Houston in a couple of months. Given that Houston's a better school (job wise, at least) and it's $40k or so cheaper, it's probably going to be Houston for me. I was quite surprised and I'm not really prepared, but what are you gonna do?

AGA

New

Post by AGA » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:15 pm

I received an email from UH yesterday asking if I am still available and if I would like to add some additional information to my file. Did anyone else also received this email??

World B. Free

Bronze

Post by World B. Free » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:26 pm

not the kind of email I want... :x

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

egrandio

New

Post by egrandio » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:15 pm

AGA wrote:I received an email from UH yesterday asking if I am still available and if I would like to add some additional information to my file. Did anyone else also received this email??
I did

DrPlacebo

New

Post by DrPlacebo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:25 pm

Not going to Houston, but they seem rather confused. I got a phone call from someone at UH on Friday, and apparently they were under the impression that I was planning to go to UH. I withdrew in early April and never deposited. So maybe there's one spot opening up that should have been open all along.

BleedBlue83

New

Post by BleedBlue83 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:52 am

Brutal.

I also received the e-mail asking if I was still interested and if I would like to add info to my file. I definitely got excited when I saw it.

Congrats to those who made the grade on this last batch of offers.

I'm still holding hope that I can squeak in over these next two months.

TillMay10

New

Post by TillMay10 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Congrats to those who received an offer!

For those still on the waitlist, did other peoples email say something along these lines..Thank you for your continued interest and for your patience. The committee has made a number of offers so far this summer and will likely make a few more offers next week. Beyond that, an additional round of offers will likely be made around the middle of July.....?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”