In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MLong

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by MLong » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:29 pm

I went into review on 4/1/09 then again, it updated and said in review 4/20/09. Weird. I guess I was handed off to another reviewer. Hope that's a good sign.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:31 pm

MLong wrote:I went into review on 4/1/09 then again, it updated and said in review 4/20/09. Weird. I guess I was handed off to another reviewer. Hope that's a good sign.
I was accepted a couple weeks ago, but before I received my decision, it did that for me and several other people in the forum as well. I think it might just be the same person re-opening the file as they comb through the ones to which they want to give extra attention. I think its a good sign :-).

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:11 pm

I hope so! I am really interested in their JD/LLM (health law) program.

Question for those of you from out of state attending U of H Law: After one year of residency in TX, do you then qualify for in-state tuition?

kellbrite

New

Post by kellbrite » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:51 pm

I think the only reliable sign any of us can use to predict admission at UH this year is a 161+ LSAT. Sad, but true.

LawHorn

New

Post by LawHorn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:00 pm

MLong wrote:I went into review on 4/1/09 then again, it updated and said in review 4/20/09. Weird. I guess I was handed off to another reviewer. Hope that's a good sign.
I received the same update on my status checker. I really hope it is a good sign.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Well, if the 161 is true, then I'm so out. I had a 156. Could have done better and should have retaken (took on a whim with no prep and 9 years out of UG). But, I've been talking with a few of the Health Law prof's at U of H and they said they think with my softs in Health that I would be a uniquely qualified student at U of H as well as later as a Health Law atty. They said they'd pass our conversations on to the ad comm. I'm hoping they look at a file as a whole and not just numbers (at least in my case!!).

Good luck LawHorn.

tjbrenner

New

Post by tjbrenner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Rejecteddd! Letter received today.

I'd rather stay in New Orleans anyways! (No offense, Houston!)

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:31 pm

OasisFan wrote:I just emailed them and asked them to switch my application to the PT Evening Program...I noticed that UH has not accepted a single LSAT Score below a 160 for the day program, and I guess that is because they are trying to increase their medians.

Oh well
they have accepted some with LSATs below a 160 but very few, yes.

smiley87

New

Post by smiley87 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:42 pm

MLong wrote:I hope so! I am really interested in their JD/LLM (health law) program.

Question for those of you from out of state attending U of H Law: After one year of residency in TX, do you then qualify for in-state tuition?
i'm not an out-of-state person, but i do know that you don't qualify for residency if you just move here for school. i think UVA is the only one who does that. good lucks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jwickman

New

Post by jwickman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:53 pm

I have applied to UofH PT. I have a 160 LSAT score and 3.45 GPA with a graduate degree (Classics) and 5 years work experience. I submitted my file on 2/14, it went complete on 3/13 and there it has stayed. I have read conflicting information...UofH talks about a rolling admission process but says PT applicants may not hear until July. Given I applied three months before the PT deadline, does anyone know what the chances are I will hear something within the next month? I got into South Texas but would much rather go to UofH.

Thanks for any information you can give me!

SusanZ

New

Post by SusanZ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:10 pm

jwickman wrote:I have applied to UofH PT. I have a 160 LSAT score and 3.45 GPA with a graduate degree (Classics) and 5 years work experience. I submitted my file on 2/14, it went complete on 3/13 and there it has stayed. I have read conflicting information...UofH talks about a rolling admission process but says PT applicants may not hear until July. Given I applied three months before the PT deadline, does anyone know what the chances are I will hear something within the next month? I got into South Texas but would much rather go to UofH.

Thanks for any information you can give me!
I applied part time on the same date, and I JUST went into review.

I got into south texas as well, and they gave me a scholarship. I visited both schools, and I was surprised at the reception I received at UH. I wasn't impressed with the school, the facilities, or the people working there- except for the actual admissions lady- she was relatively nice.

South texas on the other hand was much more impressive, the library, the court rooms, the location- and the fact that the court of appeals meets in the same building- I'm starting to wonder if I get into UH, which school to actually go to.

mardimar

New

Post by mardimar » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:59 am

Last edited by mardimar on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texasapp

New

Post by Texasapp » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:06 am

I just went in review as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:07 am

likewise finally in review

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:08 am

G'luck to everyone!

nowwhat

New

Post by nowwhat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:15 am

Ugh I've been in review for over a week and am just waiting for the rejection letter.....

CHS

New

Post by CHS » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:50 am

I went under review on 3/16, then it switched to under review 4/1, and now it reads under review 4/16.. Has anyone had this happen to them or know why it might be? It seems like they keep giving me a second and third look without waitlisting me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

critten

New

Post by critten » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:43 pm

turned mine in dec and was in review for a good 2 months. have fun guys!

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Uh oh - mine was 'In review' on 04/01, then updated to "In review" on 04/20. Now, says "Decision rendered" 04/28.

Can't be good news, right? If accepted, would have said "congratulations".

Ah well - c'est la vie and completes my cycle. Looks like LSU here I come.

Texasapp

New

Post by Texasapp » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:56 pm

No it says decision rendered and you should get something in the mail. It doesn't say "Congratulations" on the status.

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Thanks, Texasapp. I just spent the last 20 minutes reading through the previous 23 pages of posts to get some idea of the notification techniques of U of H. I see now there is NO pattern. I'm still really happy to get some definitive answer one way or the other!!!

Although I reaaaaaalllly hope it's a yes, we love you, come to Texas with your bad self. :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawHorn

New

Post by LawHorn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Bump
Last edited by LawHorn on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texasapp

New

Post by Texasapp » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm also choosing between here and LSU, by the way. I did hear that some people got phone calls when it went "decision rendered". Others did not, however.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:16 pm

I never got a phone call; I received a Congratulatory Email before I even realized I had gone to Decision Rendered. But some say it has taken over a week to get the email after Decision Realized.

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:30 pm

Awesome - the elements of suspense and surprise. Makes you appreciate it more if you get it, right? :wink:

Texas app - looks as though I may be seeing you next year, then. I'm in at LSU and already put in the seat deposit, but with Health law being my intended field, U of H may be a better fit.....if they'll have me! :!: :?:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”