Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sprint047

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by sprint047 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:53 pm

I was told the wait list was not ranked. I don't know how many were on the list last year or how many were admitted from the list.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue May 12, 2009 2:34 pm

Anyone have/hear any change TODAY (5/12)?

thiscyclesucks

New

Post by thiscyclesucks » Tue May 12, 2009 2:53 pm

BigAristotle wrote:Anyone have/hear any change TODAY (5/12)?

Not here...still application complete

thiscyclesucks

New

Post by thiscyclesucks » Tue May 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Don't know if this changed on anyone elses status page, or if I'm just being nitpicky...

But the writing at the top of the status page that said "You may have noticed a change in your status, yadda yadda...", is gone. And my status date went from 5/4/2009 to 1/29/2009.

weird

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue May 12, 2009 6:25 pm

My status checker changed from "JD" to "JD Evening" but nothing else changed. I'm guessing that means I'm gonna be reviewed for SMU PT now?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue May 12, 2009 6:38 pm

OasisFan wrote:My status checker changed from "JD" to "JD Evening" but nothing else changed. I'm guessing that means I'm gonna be reviewed for SMU PT now?
From all the status changes a few weeks ago, those changed to JD Evening Decision Rendered were accepted into the PT program.

DMNeece

New

Post by DMNeece » Tue May 12, 2009 6:40 pm

My status changed yesterday to Waitlisted...bleh

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue May 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Sorry to hear that DMNeece :(.

I called the admissions office today probing into when the decisions were coming out. She told me that "They are trying really very hard to get all the letters out by the end of this week".

I hate this waiting for the remainder of us; as we're being dragged along with a semblance of hope: They sent out their last acceptances in late April, rejected a bunch on 4-30-2009, waitlisted and accepted less than a handful on 5-11-09. Are the rest of us rejections, more borderline waitlisted/acceptance or more borderline waitlist/reject!

GAH. I seem to rant in this thread 1/day. Coincidence, SMU, I think not!

LSmit1723

New

Post by LSmit1723 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:15 pm

I am one of the waitlisted as of 5/11.

I called SMU today to find out any information that would be helpful. The following is from my conversation:

1. The waitlisted bunch will be receiving paper waitlist information this week (it was sent out on Monday)

2. The waitlist is unranked. They try to pull the most "appropriate" applicant when a seat becomes available.

3. The seat deposit is due for admitted applicants June 1 and they expect seats to open up after the deadline.

4. There is unfortunately no way to ascertain your chances of being admitted.

Thats all I got!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bill51

New

Post by bill51 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:35 pm

LSmit1723 wrote:I am one of the waitlisted as of 5/11.

I called SMU today to find out any information that would be helpful. The following is from my conversation:

1. The waitlisted bunch will be receiving paper waitlist information this week (it was sent out on Monday)

2. The waitlist is unranked. They try to pull the most "appropriate" applicant when a seat becomes available.

3. The seat deposit is due for admitted applicants June 1 and they expect seats to open up after the deadline.

4. There is unfortunately no way to ascertain your chances of being admitted.

Thats all I got!
Thanks for the info, LSmit. I'll be sure to check my mail.

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:54 pm

I really have an urge to just forward the decision extension e-mail to the adcomms at SMU, seeing as it's already past closing time on May 12th.

That would pretty much cement me as a reject though, huh?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue May 12, 2009 9:25 pm

BigAristotle wrote:
OasisFan wrote:My status checker changed from "JD" to "JD Evening" but nothing else changed. I'm guessing that means I'm gonna be reviewed for SMU PT now?
From all the status changes a few weeks ago, those changed to JD Evening Decision Rendered were accepted into the PT program.
Hah yeah mine still says "Application Completed"...All I need is the "Decision Rendered"!!! :mrgreen:

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:26 pm

OasisFan wrote:
BigAristotle wrote:
Hah yeah mine still says "Application Completed"...All I need is the "Decision Rendered"!!! :mrgreen:
My actually never changed to "decision rendered" until a couple of days after I received the phone call ... based, on prior experience, I agree with BigA and believe that you have been accepted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue May 12, 2009 9:28 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
BigAristotle wrote:
My actually never changed to "decision rendered" until a couple of days after I received the phone call ... based, on prior experience, I agree with BigA and believe that you have been accepted.
I sure hope you're right because that would make my day

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Anybody else considering sending them a reminder of what they told us? I know it's a dick move, and they seem to be trying, but this is just dragging on and on. I feel like there's a good possibility those of us waiting for an initial decision are also gonna be waiting til after June 1

Horns4LYFE

New

Post by Horns4LYFE » Wed May 13, 2009 8:53 am

I hope you are right as well. Although, my status checker changed on 5/11 to 'Decision Rendered' at around noon, so I was just thinking that everyone was going to get a rejection that day. Missed a phone call from Admissions and I was thinking they were calling people to reject them to make the process go faster...of course, much to my surprise, that wasn't the case.

Here are my thoughts though -- why wait this long to just reject an applicant? Why hold off PAST the SECOND deadline just to give someone the boot? It makes no sense! One can only think there is a reason why the people who have not heard back from SMU have not heard back. Otherwise, it makes no sense to just let people 'wait' for a decision...and plus, it's not that they couldn't have rejected the people who are still waiting for a decision -- from what I can see through these boards and LSN, they have rejected a crapload of people.

I'm pulling for all of you, I have hope.
From all the status changes a few weeks ago, those changed to JD Evening Decision Rendered were accepted into the PT program.[/quote]

My actually never changed to "decision rendered" until a couple of days after I received the phone call ... based, on prior experience, I agree with BigA and believe that you have been accepted.[/quote][/quote]

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Wed May 13, 2009 9:56 am

OasisFan wrote:
My status changed to "JD Evening" on April 14, and I was accepted on April 20. It makes sense that they would try to make a few decisions on the PT class before the Admitted Students Dinner next Friday. Hopefully, you will receive good news sometime soon. GL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed May 13, 2009 12:25 pm

Hook 'Em wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
My status changed to "JD Evening" on April 14, and I was accepted on April 20. It makes sense that they would try to make a few decisions on the PT class before the Admitted Students Dinner next Friday. Hopefully, you will receive good news sometime soon. GL.
My status changed to Decision Rendered 5/13/09 JD Evening

I sure hope this is good news

soccerchick47

New

Post by soccerchick47 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:27 pm

OasisFan wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:
OasisFan wrote:

How exciting!!! I'll bet you're in! If you don't get a phone call soon you should call them, let us know what happens!

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Wed May 13, 2009 12:30 pm

OasisFan wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:
OasisFan wrote:

It's starting to look like good news. My status also changed around noon, and I got a call at 2:30 p.m. I'm excited for you!

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:00 pm

OasisFan: sure looks like you're in PT! Don't be surprised if they don't call until Friday, though. In the past the status changes happened throughout the week and then calls went out on Friday. Best of luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thiscyclesucks

New

Post by thiscyclesucks » Wed May 13, 2009 3:07 pm

OasisFan wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:
OasisFan wrote:

Care to share your numbers?

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:08 pm

Not that it means much at this point, but I just called the admissions office and they said they are desperately trying to get all letters in the mail by Friday afternoon.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed May 13, 2009 3:14 pm

thiscyclesucks wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:
OasisFan wrote:

Care to share your numbers?
3.66 & 159

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed May 13, 2009 3:17 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:Not that it means much at this point, but I just called the admissions office and they said they are desperately trying to get all letters in the mail by Friday afternoon.
I just called and got the same thing...anyone else's statuses change today?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”