Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CinderellaMan

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by CinderellaMan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:51 pm

OasisFan wrote:
CinderellaMan wrote:My status just changed to "Decision Rendered" this morning. We'll see what happens!
Good luck! when did u go complete?
Complete 12/5/08. Applied for both FT and PT. Good luck everyone!

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Did you apply early decision? Just curious because my status hasn't changed. Either way... I'll know by a week from tomorrow!

CinderellaMan

New

Post by CinderellaMan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:58 pm

bcb1986 wrote:Did you apply early decision? Just curious because my status hasn't changed. Either way... I'll know by a week from tomorrow!
Yes, it was considered "Early Decision". I applied 11/22/08.

joonix

New

Post by joonix » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:59 pm

does anyone know if you're still considered early decision if you applied in November but held for a December LSAT retake?

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:04 pm

CinderellaMan wrote:
bcb1986 wrote:Did you apply early decision? Just curious because my status hasn't changed. Either way... I'll know by a week from tomorrow!
Yes, it was considered "Early Decision". I applied 11/22/08.
Good deal. Maybe my status will change at some point today as well.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:31 pm

bump

Archon D: terrorface

New

Post by Archon D: terrorface » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 pm

I think the best analogy for this is seeing the update box get "filled" and waiting for the LSAT score to pop in. Terrible.

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:14 pm

joonix wrote:does anyone know if you're still considered early decision if you applied in November but held for a December LSAT retake?
I am in the same boat, and I think we got bumped to regular. But I am visiting on Monday, so I'll ask then! Good luck everyone!

jtw1386

New

Post by jtw1386 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:50 pm

The only thing that I think will suck, is that SMU will defer most of the people who applied early to the regular decision pool, and then we have to wait even longer. I went complete 11/26, and it has been an agonizing 2 months waiting on some kind of decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:13 pm

jtw1386 wrote:The only thing that I think will suck, is that SMU will defer most of the people who applied early to the regular decision pool, and then we have to wait even longer. I went complete 11/26, and it has been an agonizing 2 months waiting on some kind of decision.
It sure is looking that way.

jtw1386

New

Post by jtw1386 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:21 pm

OasisFan wrote:
jtw1386 wrote:The only thing that I think will suck, is that SMU will defer most of the people who applied early to the regular decision pool, and then we have to wait even longer. I went complete 11/26, and it has been an agonizing 2 months waiting on some kind of decision.
It sure is looking that way.
Yeah I just have a feeling that SMU is going to take their time and accept very few from the early decision people. O well, good luck to everyone who is waiting, I know how you feel. Only 8 days left.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:35 am

anybody think the adcomm is gonna work on weekends?

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:06 pm

OasisFan wrote:anybody think the adcomm is gonna work on weekends?
I would imagine that the adcomms are working a lot of overtime right now trying to wade through their applicant packets and align their scholarships dollars with their acceptance list. Nothing is for sure, but I feel like they are working weekends...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:50 am

i'd would like to agree with you, but I think SMU is going to defer a large majority of people. Only those with numbers well above the medians will actually get a real decision on or before the 31st...

unfgolfer14

New

Post by unfgolfer14 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:52 am

No WTF I am wating to hear from them...

Who applied for the FT AND PT programs with them?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:05 am

unfgolfer14 wrote:Who applied for the FT AND PT programs with them?
+1 prefer part-time though

txelle

New

Post by txelle » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:30 pm

yep, but I prefer the FT

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:48 pm

I visited this morning (sat in on a great Contracts class btw)...I am a FT non-ED applicant and the admissions person who I talked to predicted it won't be for at least another 2-3 weeks at the earliest.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 pm

did they say anything about ED applicants? or are they just planning on deferring everyone and giving themselves that extra couple of weeks...

tennisgirl87

New

Post by tennisgirl87 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:19 pm

I still haven't heard anything either. Went complete 11/3/08 with a 165/3.95 applying for FT or PT. I am getting really anxious, and I hope they send out more decisions soon. I am beginning to get nervous since it seems like some people have already heard! I don't know if that should be taken as a negative sign. I called the admission office the other day to check on things, and it sounded like they still had a ton of applications to get through. She siad that most likely it would be the beginning of February before decisions were mailed. However, it sounds like some people have definitely already heard so I am not sure if that information was entirely correct. SMU is my top choice since I'm from Dallas, and I absolutely love it there. However, there is just no way I can afford it without some scholarship money so I guess I will just have to keep my figures crossed that it works out. Good luck to everyone still waitin to hear.

screech

New

Post by screech » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:21 pm

My e mail said I'd hear by the 31st (well, that they would mail it by then). So, another week at the longest. That's not too bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:39 pm

tennisgirl87 wrote:I still haven't heard anything either. Went complete 11/3/08 with a 165/3.95 applying for FT or PT. I am getting really anxious, and I hope they send out more decisions soon. I am beginning to get nervous since it seems like some people have already heard! I don't know if that should be taken as a negative sign. I called the admission office the other day to check on things, and it sounded like they still had a ton of applications to get through. She siad that most likely it would be the beginning of February before decisions were mailed. However, it sounds like some people have definitely already heard so I am not sure if that information was entirely correct. SMU is my top choice since I'm from Dallas, and I absolutely love it there. However, there is just no way I can afford it without some scholarship money so I guess I will just have to keep my figures crossed that it works out. Good luck to everyone still waitin to hear.

People with numbers comparable to yours got offered full scholarships to SMU on LSN, so I am confident that you'll get accepted with money. I also applied PT/FT and I went complete on the 11/19/08 but I didn't get an email saying that I am being considered for Early Decision so i'm hoping that it is implied or something...

tennisgirl87

New

Post by tennisgirl87 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks for your confidence. I will be hoping you are right haha.
I am surprised you didn't get an email saying that you would be considered for early decision - esp if your file was complete in November. I copy and pasted the email I received in early November below
"Thank you for your recent application to SMU Dedman School of Law. Since you have applied for the early decision deadline of December 1, 2008, provided your file is complete by December 15, 2008, a decision letter will be mailed no later than January 31, 2008. Early decisions are not binding. SMU policy does not allow decisions to be given out over the telephone or e-mail."

Did you not get an email like that? It probably does not matter either way... the email pretty much makes it sound like whoever gets their applications complete by Dec. 15th will be considered for early decision.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:32 pm

oops you're right I did get that email...I just never actually read it, haha! I just thought that was the email that gave us the link to the status checker. Best of luck

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:08 pm

OasisFan wrote:did they say anything about ED applicants? or are they just planning on deferring everyone and giving themselves that extra couple of weeks...
no mention of ED, but I am assuming those who have already heard were ED and that those people get at least some priority notification over the rest of us...not entirely sure.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”