Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sapereaude2012

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by sapereaude2012 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:56 pm

willnumber85 wrote:Status checker was down for me too for a good while today. It is back up now though
Still down for me.

txelle

New

Post by txelle » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:12 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:
willnumber85 wrote:Status checker was down for me too for a good while today. It is back up now though
Still down for me.

mine's never been down...I hope that's not a bad thing...

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:21 am

Still nothing!!! I really hope they don't make me blow $450 on my American deposit on the 15th and then admit me at the end of April. Maybe at this point that is just wishful thinking. :cry:

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:25 am

BigA, how did your interview / meeting with SMU go yesterday? Did they give any hints as to when more admission decisions would be made?

You would think that for all of us you you been complete before January 1st, we would have at least been rejected or placed on a waitlist ...

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:44 am

Went down yesterday, had a tour, and a sit down with 2 admissions officers. The office was really short staffed, and one of the student workers told me I might not even get into see them today. I politely told her I couldn't reschedule, as I had flown in; so she moved some things around to make sure I could get time. The office mentioned several times they were super busy this and next week, and lacked workers; so some things might be slow going.

They said that they were seeing a very strong/high response for seat deposits, more than usual. However, that could just be contributed to a bunch of people who put down multiple seat deposits, or at least partly, I hope.

She said they had one more round of acceptances still to be decided on in the last week or two in April.

I feel like I've done everything possible I could do to get into SMU; if I get waitlisted, I don't see how/why they would pull me off of it. Shrug; the same could be said about Fordham, which pulled me off their WL, but I didn't try nearly as hard to get in there.

In terms of buildings/campus, I'm always impressed by SMU's campus; but the law buildings lived up to their reputation as being a bit rinky-dinky and tight. Highland Park and Uptown are so super nice; and so cheap to live. But I knew this all coming in.

Overall; I felt my interview/meet was a bit short, and rushed, but we discussed what I went down there to discuss, and felt good about it. It was expensive, though :(, between a flight, car rental, etc. so I'm hoping it was worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks BigA ... with a 166 and a couple of years remove from college, you would think that you would be guaranteed admissions into SMU ... then again, of the 30+ schools that I have applied to, I have only heard back from 10 schools.

Oddly enough, I have applied and was accepted into SMU for the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 cycles, but decided not to attend ... wouldn't it be ironic if I was turned down this cycle.

As for significant increase in the number of early deposits, you might be onto something. Regrettably, I have deposited at three schools (non-binding, but I still have a pesonal moral dilemma with this) because I was informed that at two of the schools where I didn't receive scholarships, I would need to deposit to be considered for a scholarship in the event that scholarship money does come available.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:13 pm

Chadwick- I've got a weird semi-Criminal addendum thing that has dinged me at some schools. That was the primary purpose of my meeting; to explain it and also show what type of person I am and have them look past it.

I think being able to put down multi deposits sucks and is unfair; but is necessary because the deposit deadlines are so early.

pammons

New

Post by pammons » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:53 pm

Status Checker is still down for me... maybe there is like a limit "After potential student checks page 300+, (don't judge my unnecessary use of the refresh button) we shut their status down"

End of April? This blows. Can't UT admissions people be bused up to Dallas? They at least rejected me in a timely manner. :roll:

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 pm

pammons wrote:Status Checker is still down for me... maybe there is like a limit "After potential student checks page 300+, (don't judge my unnecessary use of the refresh button) we shut their status down"

End of April? This blows. Can't UT admissions people be bused up to Dallas? They at least rejected me in a timely manner. :roll:
+1 to this ... I was rejected at UT prior to them ever receiving my February score (which was on par with their median) ... I was promptly rejected on February 11th and received my letter of rejection on February 12th (flippin over night).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:36 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
pammons wrote:Status Checker is still down for me... maybe there is like a limit "After potential student checks page 300+, (don't judge my unnecessary use of the refresh button) we shut their status down"

+1 to this ... I was rejected at UT prior to them ever receiving my February score (which was on par with their median) ... I was promptly rejected on February 11th and received my letter of rejection on February 12th (flippin over night).
For some reason, my status checker works on Safari, but doesn't work on Firefox...at any rate, no change in my status anyways so it's a lost cause.

whyyy :evil: :evil:

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:23 pm

My checker is working on Firefox but not Safari... Is SMU admissions office playing games with us? Why is it ok to send out decisions after ALL other deposits are due??

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:26 pm

Status checker is working for me...but stuck on the same thing since 1/29/2009. Stupid 'Holds'.

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:12 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

When I was at the first ASD in mid-February the Dean of Admission was about to go out on maternity leave. I'm sure this has slowed things down quite a bit this year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:57 pm

bcb1986 wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

When I was at the first ASD in mid-February the Dean of Admission was about to go out on maternity leave. I'm sure this has slowed things down quite a bit this year.
I'm not sure if that slowed it down anymore than they usually are, because by all accounts, SMU is notorious not only for fishing for only high LSAT scores above all else, but also with being disorganized when notifying applicants. I imagine that we will probably hear towards the end of April if LSN tells us anything

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:12 pm

Gogo High LSATs!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:29 pm

BigAristotle wrote:Gogo High LSATs!
Indeed :roll:

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:35 pm

OasisFan wrote:
BigAristotle wrote:Gogo High LSATs!
Indeed :roll:
So true indeed ... per LSN, if you go back a couple of years, they have not rejected (granted, there are some WLs) anyone with 164 or higher (there are even some 2.2 GPAs in there) ...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlueJean

New

Post by BlueJean » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:39 pm

If it helps ease anyone's mind, I was accepted end of feb, went complete end of jan, and got 20k/year about a week ago.
stats are in my prof.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:58 am

Any of yall here considering the PT program as well as FT? I have a feeling that i'd go to SMU PT over a couple of FT programs (depending on if I even get in)

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:11 am

I also applied to both ... if admitted PT program, I would try to secure an on-campus job with the university.

Rachyk

New

Post by Rachyk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:41 am

I also applied for both the full time and part time program. Does anybody know if you can transfer to the full time program after the first year? As much as I would love to go to SMU I am not sure if I want to drag law school out into a four year ordeal. After waiting over two months to hear from SMU and the thought of being part-time for four years is making Malibu and Pepperdine much more appealing........

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:43 am

Rachyk wrote:I also applied for both the full time and part time program. Does anybody know if you can transfer to the full time program after the first year? As much as I would love to go to SMU I am not sure if I want to drag law school out into a four year ordeal. After waiting over two months to hear from SMU and the thought of being part-time for four years is making Malibu and Pepperdine much more appealing........
You cannot actually "transfer" to the part-time program, but after your first year you can request to take classes with full-time students. FWIW, you will forever be a graduate of the part-time program.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:46 am

chadwick218 wrote:
Rachyk wrote:I also applied for both the full time and part time program. Does anybody know if you can transfer to the full time program after the first year? As much as I would love to go to SMU I am not sure if I want to drag law school out into a four year ordeal. After waiting over two months to hear from SMU and the thought of being part-time for four years is making Malibu and Pepperdine much more appealing........
You cannot actually "transfer" to the part-time program, but after your first year you can request to take classes with full-time students. FWIW, you will forever be a graduate of the part-time program.
Yup but when you graduate, your Diploma isnt gonna say JD (Part-Time Evening Program), it'll just say SMU, which is all that I care about...frankly 4 years is fine with me, i'm in no hurry let the economy try to fix itself first :roll:

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:49 am

Anyone get any news today yet? SMU's record of Friday acceptances/phone calls always has me waiting for news.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:27 pm

Arg, waiting for the last school always sucks....While we all wait together, two questions:

1. Anyone in here certain they will go to Houston if they are not accepted to SMU? I was accepted to Houston a few days ago and I will be going there next year if SMU rejects or waitlists me.

2. Anyone else feel their ultimate decision (especially for those debating between SMU and Houston) will be partly affected by the new USNWR law rankings, set to be released ~April 23rd?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”