Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Anonymous0L

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by Anonymous0L » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:48 pm

kp1981 wrote:Just got back from a tour or SMU a few minutes ago. The campus is open, and so is the admissions office. They said they are in a time crunch right now to meet the Jan 31st deadline for the ED applicants. After that, they will begin to evaluate the regular decision applicants and will hopefully be able to give responses before the April 30th deadline. I asked if after Jan 31, the applications are reviewed in order of submission or if applicants with higher numbers are given priority. He said he just delivers the files to the committee and that the process is secretive. However, a few minutes later he also said they tend to give offers to the strongers candidates earlier than others in hopes that these candidates will not accept offers from other schools first. Make of this information whatever you will!
Another reason why the rolling admissions process is not really "rolling admissions". Schools simply put stronger candidates before everyone else (in terms of review) regardless of when they apply.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:51 pm

I talked to a friend who has strong numbers for SMU (167/3.7), Complete later November; he was deferred as well.

Lazy bums, I say!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:56 pm

kp1981 wrote:Just got back from a tour or SMU a few minutes ago. The campus is open, and so is the admissions office. They said they are in a time crunch right now to meet the Jan 31st deadline for the ED applicants. After that, they will begin to evaluate the regular decision applicants and will hopefully be able to give responses before the April 30th deadline. I asked if after Jan 31, the applications are reviewed in order of submission or if applicants with higher numbers are given priority. He said he just delivers the files to the committee and that the process is secretive. However, a few minutes later he also said they tend to give offers to the strongers candidates earlier than others in hopes that these candidates will not accept offers from other schools first. Make of this information whatever you will!

Basically they are number whores...but what law school isn't?

Also Rolling Admissions is just an empty term, and its relative...no use in stressing about it. All we can do is wait...best of luck ya'll

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Wow. 167 and a 3.7 GPA got deferred? Something doesn't seem quite right with that. If that's legit and they don't have a felony record, it makes me exponentially more nervous about all of this.

Thanks for that... :?

ellewoods12

New

Post by ellewoods12 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:01 pm

my application still says app complete, but now the status date is 1/27. weird.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:10 pm

ellewoods12 wrote:my application still says app complete, but now the status date is 1/27. weird.
+1.
Interesting...

ArsenalGunner

New

Post by ArsenalGunner » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:12 pm

BigAristotle wrote:
lawkid786 wrote:
DallasJosh wrote:Just checked and my status is still "Application Complete" - wonder if that's a good thing or just a "they haven't gotten around to updating my status yet" thing. Guess we'll find out in a few days.

I did miss a call from an unknown number on my cell today and it's got me really freaking out wondering if they were trying to get in touch with me. I've only had one other unknown number call my phone in the past 6 to 8 months and it was them. Maybe just a weird coincidence, since I would think they would leave me a message, but who knows.

All this waiting is screwing with my mind.
The unknown number was probably "THIS IS THE SECOND WARNING THAT THE FACTORY WARANTEE ON YOUR VEHICLE" click.
THAT FUCKING MESSAGE! It has gotten me excited at least 5 times since Xmas.
Haaa i hate those flipping calls!!!...also the area code for smu would be 214 fyi....SMU is really slacking! I have a friend who got in already back in dec with a full ride 3.6+/165+ URM, but then i don't think she was a "regular" candidate like us mortals...

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:17 pm

My status date just changed as well. Still says application complete, but now the date is 1/27/09 - it was 11/19/08. Hoping that means I made the initial "cut". But again, who knows at this point...

tennisgirl87

New

Post by tennisgirl87 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:25 pm

DallasJosh wrote:My status date just changed as well. Still says application complete, but now the date is 1/27/09 - it was 11/19/08. Hoping that means I made the initial "cut". But again, who knows at this point...
I got the same message as Dallas Josh... Mine used to say application complete as of 11/3... now it says application complete as of 1/27...

Now I am just trying to figure why they changed the date.. and not the status..? I guess I am just hoping that this means I'm a little closer to getting a decision... Glad to hear I'm not the only one that change happened to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:43 pm

DallasJosh wrote:My status date just changed as well. Still says application complete, but now the date is 1/27/09 - it was 11/19/08. Hoping that means I made the initial "cut". But again, who knows at this point...
I'm in the same position. My thoughts exactly.

jtw1386

New

Post by jtw1386 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:49 pm

that's weird, my status still says "application complete" and the date is 11/26, not the 1/27 that all you others are starting to get. I think SMU is just messing with our heads. So far there has been no real consensus on people getting accepted, people being deferred, or whatever else. I guess at the end of this week we will have a little more insight into what they are doing.

tennisgirl87

New

Post by tennisgirl87 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:51 pm

betasteve wrote:tennis - what are your stats?
If they are only holding the very top of the class, I can see DallasJosh getting a nod. The decision rendered stuff I don't get from before... And the 167/3.7 from above should have been auto-admit. My only guess is that they have less money than last year, and are trying to find a way to build a class with less scholly money while keeping the stats up.

stats are 165/3.95... which i know are decent.. but i wouldn't think that would put me at the top.. my gpa is pretty good but my LSAT is only 1 point above median. so I am not sure what to think.

i am really shocked about the 167/3.7 not being an auto-in myself. kinda scary!

TxAggie09

New

Post by TxAggie09 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:58 pm

My status just switched to "Decision Rendered" with the 1/29/09 date. I'm assuming this will be a rejection letter since my numbers are 155/3.59.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:00 pm

tennisgirl87 wrote: stats are 165/3.95... which i know are decent.. but i wouldn't think that would put me at the top.. my gpa is pretty good but my LSAT is only 1 point above median. so I am not sure what to think.
Don't be too surprised about those numbers being really high on the SMU list, tennisgirl. According to LSN someone with a 165 and 3.95 got offered a full ride in the Dec. 19 offerings from SMU. Good luck!

jmoc2009

New

Post by jmoc2009 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:05 pm

jtw1386 wrote:that's weird, my status still says "application complete" and the date is 11/26, not the 1/27 that all you others are starting to get. I think SMU is just messing with our heads. So far there has been no real consensus on people getting accepted, people being deferred, or whatever else. I guess at the end of this week we will have a little more insight into what they are doing.

my status date hasn't been updated either...still "application completed" as of 12/11/2008.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:07 pm

ellewoods12 wrote:my application still says app complete, but now the status date is 1/27. weird.

+1. Just changed in the last hour.

For the record - this sucks! :evil:

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:31 pm

betasteve wrote:
tennisgirl87 wrote:
betasteve wrote:tennis - what are your stats?
If they are only holding the very top of the class, I can see DallasJosh getting a nod. The decision rendered stuff I don't get from before... And the 167/3.7 from above should have been auto-admit. My only guess is that they have less money than last year, and are trying to find a way to build a class with less scholly money while keeping the stats up.

stats are 165/3.95... which i know are decent.. but i wouldn't think that would put me at the top.. my gpa is pretty good but my LSAT is only 1 point above median. so I am not sure what to think.

i am really shocked about the 167/3.7 not being an auto-in myself. kinda scary!
165 is one point above median, but also is the 75% break as well.. plus you are way above on GPA.
So, does it look like the following?
- "Held for further review" --- clearly a deferral to RD
- "Decision Rendered" --- rejection letters getting mailed 1/29
- "Application Completed" with the date 1/27 --- accepted
- "Application Completed" with the original date --- still in committee

Geez, I want to hear from these people SO bad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 pm

betasteve wrote:I think the "decision rendered" is still up in the air.
And I am not sure about the date change meaning accept, necessarily.
+1 I guess we'll get a better idea at the end of the week...

thucydides

New

Post by thucydides » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Since I applied regular decision, is it going to be FOREVER before I hear back if they haven't even finished with the ED applications?! I applied 1/5 and have a 162/3.5. Do I even have a shot at FT? I'd love to be in Dallas this fall and be close to my family...

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:16 pm

thucydides wrote:Since I applied regular decision, is it going to be FOREVER before I hear back if they haven't even finished with the ED applications?! I applied 1/5 and have a 162/3.5. Do I even have a shot at FT? I'd love to be in Dallas this fall and be close to my family...
Sure you have a shot at full time. Not sure how great your odds are, but your numbers aren't bad for SMU. The most recent medians I can find are 164 and 3.69 - you're not very far below those. With a good personal statement and a few softs, they could easily decide in your favor. The adcomms are people too, and while the numbers are their main guide I don't think it's that cut and dried. The nbumbers for last year's cycle with SMU don't look great for you, so be realistic. I would say your chances are about 30% with a solid application packet.

Keep your head up and think good thoughts. You're definitely not an auto-reject. And in that case, you always have a shot...

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:22 pm

And by the way - to those hoping to hear something tomorrow - the weather here in Dallas is awful. Temps in the high 20s and freezing rain/lots of ice on the roadways. In Texas, we tend to shut 'er down when we get these types of ice storms. Weather is supposed to get continually worse throughout the night, so I would be absolutely shocked if SMU were open tomorrow. Unless the adcomms can work from home, I doubt any progress will be made.

Stinks for all of us, but hopefully we will all be able to have a day of not worrying about that phone call or letter coming in the mail...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jmoc2009

New

Post by jmoc2009 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:05 am

LSN shows a few people as "waitlisted". is there a "held for further review" or "deferred" status option on LSN? i'm curious if these applicants are really waitlisted or just held for further review like most.

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:08 am

I'm pretty confident that those are just deferred people. I don't think there's a deferred button on LSN. It wouldn't make much sense to have it since those people are just going into the regular app pool anyways...

DMNeece

New

Post by DMNeece » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:12 am

Since it would seem that I'm being thrown in with the regular applicant pool now, would a LOCI do any good?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:15 am

DMNeece wrote:Since it would seem that I'm being thrown in with the regular applicant pool now, would a LOCI do any good?
Doubt it, save it for if you're actually waitlisted, that's when you should worry...for now we can only wait.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”