Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
OasisFan

Bronze

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by OasisFan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:44 am

Yeah but the status says "held for further review" so I'm guessing we're just deferred and its a clerical error...sucks

jmoc2009

New

Post by jmoc2009 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:59 am

OasisFan wrote:Can someone find out what the deal is with this wrong date on the status checkers? I would ask myself however I think the office of admissions heard one more peep out of me they'd just throw my application in the trash... :mrgreen:

in keeping with the "girl that got my number" theme....maybe someone should *67 the admissions office and ask why they are toying with our emotions AND on top of that - what the flip is the deal with the random date that hasn't even happened yet?? it's not fair to "sort of" like us all...

any takers?

txelle

New

Post by txelle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:40 am

ah I got the "held for further review" as well.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:18 am

"Held for further review" :(

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:33 am

yup...it appears that they have just mass deferred everyone to buy themselves a little bit more time to make decisions...lame

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:53 am

DallasJosh wrote:Man, they are absolutely killing me. Been complete since 11-19-08 and nothing yet. All this extra time to think just makes you consider the worst possible scenarios over and over.

If it makes you feel better I've been complete since 10/24/08 with absolutely no word.

nmazsd

New

Post by nmazsd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:04 pm

Does anyone who applied ED and has not previously been accepted have anything different right now?

txelle

New

Post by txelle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:12 pm

well I just called smu to clarify that "held for further review" = a deferral. it does.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:17 pm

txelle wrote:well I just called smu to clarify that "held for further review" = a deferral. it does.
Did they say when we could expect to hear back?? I mean realistically if they are holding out to see if any "better applicants" isn't the deadline February 1st (so about 4 days)? I don't quite understand what SMU is thinking right now...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:22 pm

nmazsd wrote:Does anyone who applied ED and has not previously been accepted have anything different right now?
I applied ED - still at "Application Completed"
I'm not sure what to make of this. It could be that I'm in, dinged, or that they just haven't gotten to me in the stack of deferrals to change the status on.

nmazsd

New

Post by nmazsd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:28 pm

Who knows? Good news is: we're still in the game.....bad news: more waiting. Good luck everyone!

jtw1386

New

Post by jtw1386 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:30 pm

I'm a ED applicant. I applied to both FT and PT. My status says "application complete", and it went complete 11/26. I'm agreeing with the previous post, and that they haven't gotten to my application in the stack to change the status. If that's not it, I have no idea. A small part of me wants to call SMU to find out what the reason is.

txelle

New

Post by txelle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:32 pm

OasisFan wrote:
txelle wrote:well I just called smu to clarify that "held for further review" = a deferral. it does.
Did they say when we could expect to hear back?? I mean realistically if they are holding out to see if any "better applicants" isn't the deadline February 1st (so about 4 days)? I don't quite understand what SMU is thinking right now...
nope, I didn't ask, but she didn't offer a date. she just said that I would be evaluated against the regular decision pool. hopefully ED adds some weight?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:40 pm

If their admissions people are this slick imagine how the career services office must run! Like a finely tuned Gremlin!

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:54 pm

Hey you guys, I'm playing the waiting game with SMU as well.
My status checker still says "Application Complete," (12/10) and I applied ED as well.

Just in case anyone is wondering, Oklahoma, Texas, etc have been hit bad by an ice storm that has been closing universities in the region. From what I've heard, SMU is open this morning but who knows if they'll close early or not.

That just means more waiting for us, unfortunately :(

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:41 pm

I think its a generally mass deferral; I've been complete since the end of October and no change until today. The 1/31 deadline forced them to give us some sort of information. The only updates on LSN are still the pre Xmas full scholarship offers.

kimberbug

New

Post by kimberbug » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:46 pm

I have been sitting at "Application Complete" since 11/3. I'm not sure if this is a good sign or a bad sign. Either way, I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

screech

New

Post by screech » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:50 pm

What's the difference between a deferral and a WL?

kimberbug

New

Post by kimberbug » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 pm

Deferral means you have been put on hold to be reviewed with the regular applicant pool, while a waitlist means that you will be reconsidered if any available spots open up.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:15 pm

I don't think we should read too much into it, they are just deferring everyone it seems like because they are lagging on decisions, so they don't wanna be forced to make decisions by the 31st, but I think they are going to continue reviewing applications and gradually notify people...I bet some of the really high numbered applicants might even hear before the 31st, but we'll see.

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:21 pm

Just checked and my status is still "Application Complete" - wonder if that's a good thing or just a "they haven't gotten around to updating my status yet" thing. Guess we'll find out in a few days.

I did miss a call from an unknown number on my cell today and it's got me really freaking out wondering if they were trying to get in touch with me. I've only had one other unknown number call my phone in the past 6 to 8 months and it was them. Maybe just a weird coincidence, since I would think they would leave me a message, but who knows.

All this waiting is screwing with my mind.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawkid786

New

Post by lawkid786 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:24 pm

DallasJosh wrote:Just checked and my status is still "Application Complete" - wonder if that's a good thing or just a "they haven't gotten around to updating my status yet" thing. Guess we'll find out in a few days.

I did miss a call from an unknown number on my cell today and it's got me really freaking out wondering if they were trying to get in touch with me. I've only had one other unknown number call my phone in the past 6 to 8 months and it was them. Maybe just a weird coincidence, since I would think they would leave me a message, but who knows.

The unknown number was probably "THIS IS THE SECOND WARNING THAT THE FACTORY WARANTEE ON YOUR VEHICLE" click.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:27 pm

lawkid786 wrote:
DallasJosh wrote:Just checked and my status is still "Application Complete" - wonder if that's a good thing or just a "they haven't gotten around to updating my status yet" thing. Guess we'll find out in a few days.

The unknown number was probably "THIS IS THE SECOND WARNING THAT THE FACTORY WARANTEE ON YOUR VEHICLE" click.
THAT FUCKING MESSAGE! It has gotten me excited at least 5 times since Xmas.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:27 pm

lawkid786 wrote:

+1 ...I hate that message

kp1981

New

Post by kp1981 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:36 pm

Just got back from a tour or SMU a few minutes ago. The campus is open, and so is the admissions office. They said they are in a time crunch right now to meet the Jan 31st deadline for the ED applicants. After that, they will begin to evaluate the regular decision applicants and will hopefully be able to give responses before the April 30th deadline. I asked if after Jan 31, the applications are reviewed in order of submission or if applicants with higher numbers are given priority. He said he just delivers the files to the committee and that the process is secretive. However, a few minutes later he also said they tend to give offers to the strongers candidates earlier than others in hopes that these candidates will not accept offers from other schools first. Make of this information whatever you will!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”