Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thiscyclesucks

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by thiscyclesucks » Wed May 13, 2009 3:20 pm

OasisFan wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:Not that it means much at this point, but I just called the admissions office and they said they are desperately trying to get all letters in the mail by Friday afternoon.
I just called and got the same thing...anyone else's statuses change today?
No change...I hope it's an acceptance, but I'll settle with a waitlist at this point...I'm going to be really ticked if I get rejected after waiting this long though.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed May 13, 2009 3:26 pm

thiscyclesucks wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:Not that it means much at this point, but I just called the admissions office and they said they are desperately trying to get all letters in the mail by Friday afternoon.
I just called and got the same thing...anyone else's statuses change today?
No change...I hope it's an acceptance, but I'll settle with a waitlist at this point...I'm going to be really ticked if I get rejected after waiting this long though.
I am starting to get a little bit scared because what if it's a rejection! eek :shock: :shock: :shock: :| :|

pharaohatem

New

Post by pharaohatem » Wed May 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Hey guys!

Long time listener, first time caller. I tried to avoid posting in this thread because I didn't want to get my hopes up, or lose some sorta'. . .essential law school spiritual energy that obviously the adcomms are monitoring when they make their decisions.

But! All joking aside, I was one of the people who recieved a decision rendered notice today, which also changed my degree listing from JD to JD evening. I was pretty much losing my mind about it, because you really don't know if it's an acceptance or a rejection;

but for me, it actually was an acceptance. I got the call just about 3 oclock, which is a little later than usual for them, so they might be pretty busy. But I just wanna' extend some hard data to show that the decision rendered to JD Evening people are probably in fact acceptances.

Good luck ~ .

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Wed May 13, 2009 5:03 pm

pharaohatem wrote:Hey guys!

Long time listener, first time caller. I tried to avoid posting in this thread because I didn't want to get my hopes up, or lose some sorta'. . .essential law school spiritual energy that obviously the adcomms are monitoring when they make their decisions.

But! All joking aside, I was one of the people who recieved a decision rendered notice today, which also changed my degree listing from JD to JD evening. I was pretty much losing my mind about it, because you really don't know if it's an acceptance or a rejection;

but for me, it actually was an acceptance. I got the call just about 3 oclock, which is a little later than usual for them, so they might be pretty busy. But I just wanna' extend some hard data to show that the decision rendered to JD Evening people are probably in fact acceptances.

Good luck ~ .
Congrats!!!

Soonergrad

New

Post by Soonergrad » Wed May 13, 2009 5:09 pm

pharaohatem wrote:Hey guys!

Good luck ~ .
Congrats! Glad to hear the acceptances are finally rolling out...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed May 13, 2009 6:17 pm

GOT THE PHONE CALL (Voicemail actually at 3:30!) I am very excited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P :P :P :P

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:29 pm

OasisFan wrote:GOT THE PHONE CALL (Voicemail actually at 3:30!) I am very excited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P :P :P :P
Congrats OasisFan...I know how much you have wanted this!!

As for the lack of change in FT statuses, I am taking it as a good sign that none of us are rejected...just for sure waitlisted or accepted. Although a waitlist will make my decision pretty hard at this point.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Wed May 13, 2009 7:12 pm

OasisFan wrote:GOT THE PHONE CALL (Voicemail actually at 3:30!) I am very excited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P :P :P :P

Congrats!! I know how badly you wanted that call! :D

Attorney2012

New

Post by Attorney2012 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:15 pm

Ditto - congrats!!!!

PT or FT?
smiley26 wrote:
Congrats OasisFan...I know how much you have wanted this!!

As for the lack of change in FT statuses, I am taking it as a good sign that none of us are rejected...just for sure waitlisted or accepted. Although a waitlist will make my decision pretty hard at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Wed May 13, 2009 7:25 pm

Dude, gratz! You're there 100%, right?

mynameisizy

New

Post by mynameisizy » Wed May 13, 2009 7:30 pm

just got waitlisted. status changed within the hour.

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:32 pm

Just got waitlisted via status checker, I'll withdraw by Friday. GW here I come! Best of luck to you all still waiting!

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Wed May 13, 2009 7:36 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:Just got waitlisted via status checker, I'll withdraw by Friday. GW here I come! Best of luck to you all still waiting!
Sorry about the WL guys, best of luck at GW tho! Still Held here :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:04 pm

waitlisted.

Horns4LYFE

New

Post by Horns4LYFE » Wed May 13, 2009 9:26 pm

hey all--

I got my SMU Admitted Student packet today. Pretty impressive stuff, considering they spent $5 on priority postage for me...gotta love that.

I was accepted to the full-time program, and my seat deposit (like everyone else) is due on June 1st.

No word on scholarships in the packet, although I would be surprised if they had any money left.

What was in the admitted student packet:

--A navy blue folder in feaux gold-leafed columns that reads "SMU Dedman School of Law" on the front

Inside the folder:

-A large poster that folds out and reads "Go Mustangs!"
-Admitted students letter, dated on May 11th, signed by Dean Attanasio, personalized by the line in the opening paragraph "...In reviewing your outstanding qualifications, the Admissions Committee found particular interest in your outstanding academic achievements at the University of Texas" (although this could be an automatic fill-in-the-blank with the applicant's school)
-Some packet that talks about how good SMU law grads are in the business realm and the DFW law realm
-very useful apartment listing guide with apt. complexes that are often frequently inhabited by SMU law students
-an 'Essential information for Admitted full-time JD students' packet that talks about tuition fees, needing final transcripts, seat deposit form, and information about orientation
-some brochure called 'Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports' -- wtf is this?
-2008 - 2009 Dedman School of Law Catalog

Also, in addition to no scholarship info, there is also no information on the admitted students dinner. Can someone who was admitted and is attending that dinner clarify how they were notified about the admitted students dinner next week?

Thanks and good luck to you all...here's to hoping you will all be there with me next week

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Wed May 13, 2009 9:31 pm

Congrats, it seemed like you wanted SMU more than anyone here. Are you going to the dinner next Friday? I'll be driving in from Austin.

thiscyclesucks

New

Post by thiscyclesucks » Wed May 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Well, I'm still "Application Complete"...

Besides, BigA, who else?...And why do you think it's going so slowly for us?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tcwhat

New

Post by tcwhat » Wed May 13, 2009 9:57 pm

thiscyclesucks wrote:Well, I'm still "Application Complete"...

Count me in - well I'm not Application Completed but I am still "Held for Further Review"

Adele

New

Post by Adele » Wed May 13, 2009 10:01 pm

^ ditto. I think if i don't hear anything by Friday Im going to withdraw, this is just ridic!
Also dedman lifetime sports is SMU's gym, its a reaaaalllly nice gym but its way crowded with undergrads(read sorority girls and frat guys) fyi

sprint047

New

Post by sprint047 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Hook 'Em-

My information says the PT dinner is Thursday evening, not Friday...

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Wed May 13, 2009 10:03 pm

Adele wrote:^ ditto. I think if i don't hear anything by Friday Im going to withdraw, this is just ridic!
Also dedman lifetime sports is SMU's gym, its a reaaaalllly nice gym but its way crowded with undergrads(read sorority girls and frat guys) fyi

You say that like it's a bad thing 8) . Dallas sorority girls FTW!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

argentinabrends

New

Post by argentinabrends » Wed May 13, 2009 10:03 pm

tcwhat wrote:
thiscyclesucks wrote:Well, I'm still "Application Complete"...

Count me in - well I'm not Application Completed but I am still "Held for Further Review"
I have been "application completed" since 1/9/09. I was never even "under review"....I wonder if they've even LOOKED at my file or just have it in some random pile they'll "get to later"
I have to say, as a soon-to-be graduate from SMU UG, I am really disappointed in the law school this cycle.

And yes, dedman is crowded with UG but that 1)depends on what time you go--if you go during peak hours from 5-7 then yeah...or in the morning, i'm usually there around 8:30 and it's pretty free. 2)i've seen many law school students there...

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Wed May 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Horns4Lyfe-

I don't know if there's going to be money left or if more will open after the June 1st deadline, but I just thought I'd share my experience. I got a scholarship letter about 3 weeks after the admissions packet. They did not come at the same time.

I'm not going, so that's at least one large scholarship that I hope they will give to someone else.

Good luck to all of you that haven't heard!

tcwhat

New

Post by tcwhat » Wed May 13, 2009 10:15 pm

Hook 'Em wrote:
Adele wrote:^ ditto. I think if i don't hear anything by Friday Im going to withdraw, this is just ridic!

You say that like it's a bad thing 8) . Dallas sorority girls FTW!
SMU sorority girls are generally a pain in the ass.

Horns4LYFE

New

Post by Horns4LYFE » Wed May 13, 2009 11:32 pm

Argentina--

I was 'application complete' from February until May 11th when my status changed to 'decision rendered'. I never once saw 'held for further review' or 'under review' or anything. You still have a good shot as far as I'm concerned

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”