The Official in at Richmond Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fordtheriver

New

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Post by fordtheriver » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:00 am

TarHeel09 wrote:did they say why you weren't getting any money? Did they just not have any? Or were your numbers not the kind they wanted in order to give people money? Just curious...
It is probably a combo of both. I'm not sure they are the type of school to throw $$ at waitlisters....even "priority" but hopefully it works out for someone else :)

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:29 am

Withdrew my acceptance today. So that should open up a spot for you P-WL'ers, but don't expect any money to come along with that acceptance.

Good luck to everyone next year and beyond. I would have loved to join you all there, but I couldn't turn down a near full ride at a comparably ranked school (St John's).

TarHeel09

New

Post by TarHeel09 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:46 am

Why wont we get any money coming off of the Priority Waitlist? If people with scholarships are turning them down, then they have money to give, so whats the deal? what are the hording it for?

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:08 pm

Look, I'm not saying you won't. I am at their expected LSAT median and just under their GPA, and I didn't recieve anything-- even after my deadline was extended to see if more money would become available as applicants who had recieved offers chose other schools.

But maybe Dean Rahman would say it better:

"I must tell you that we had a higher than anticipated return on deposits and are, at this time, considerably over-spent from our financial aid budget. As time passes and things "shake-out" it is possible that the amount of money expended will recede as some get off wait lists at other law schools, however at the moment I cannot award any additional funds"

or this, when I replied that the news was surprising and disappoitning, considering I had noticed people on TLS, LSN choosing other schools:

"we've had more deposits this year than last and have been running at a 15% increase in applications, also contrary to the national increase of about 2%."

So I'm not saying you won't get money, but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up if I were you.

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:12 pm

I think that a lot of the people who are depositing aren't on TLS. If you have questions, the best thing to do would be to call Dean Rahman. She's extremely helpful, and will be able to speak to your specific situation. It seems pretty pointless to even conjecture on here. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:17 pm

ruraljuror wrote:I think that a lot of the people who are depositing aren't on TLS.
No doubt. I just figured it would be a decent representation of the general population and therefore thought I'd be able to get a little bit of money if I played a little hardball. I've exchanged several e-mails, talked on the phone, and even had dinner with Dean Rahman, so I can certainly attest that she is extremely helpful and honest.

No conjecturing here, just sharing my situation and thoughts with the TLS masses.

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:29 pm

jewtangclan03 wrote:
No conjecturing here, just sharing my situation and thoughts with the TLS masses.
Got it :D

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:40 pm

I want Richmond to contact me :(

I'm having the hardest time choosing between Pitt and SC. And SC's $500 deposit is due on May 1st. FML.

TarHeel09

New

Post by TarHeel09 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:03 pm

I see, I see. Man, it seems like you two are buddies too, haha, and you aren't getting anything? this is disheartening. Oh well. I will still give it a shot. Thanks for the help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Haha, don't know if we're buds, but I think she runs a tight ship and certainly represents the school well. If and when she decides to retire (though she strikes me as the type who will work 12 hr days until she is 100), she'll be very hard to replace.

I didn't mean to dash your hopes, just letting you know what I've been through.

TarHeel09

New

Post by TarHeel09 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:20 pm

yea you were right about the scholarships. oh well. i took one of the seats anyway,for now.

Hoo09

New

Post by Hoo09 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:52 pm

jewtangclan03 wrote:Haha, don't know if we're buds, but I think she runs a tight ship and certainly represents the school well. If and when she decides to retire (though she strikes me as the type who will work 12 hr days until she is 100), she'll be very hard to replace.

I didn't mean to dash your hopes, just letting you know what I've been through.
Yeah, I also had the same experience and response unfortunately as far as money goes. I was above the GPA and right around the LSAT, had decent recommendations, and good soft factors..and only got offered loans. I also talked to Dean Rahman and received a similar response..I really think she is doing her best, but they are strapped financially at this point so there just isn't a ton of money to go around except for really competitive admits (my personal opinion, she didn't say this). But I also wanted to chime in and agree she is amazing.

dreamcmtru

New

Post by dreamcmtru » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:21 am

Hi future U of R law students...

I have been living in Richmond for the last three years (attending VCU) and I really love it--it is a city with a small town, neighborhoodish feeling...if anyone has any questions about living in Richmond, PM me.

Do you need a house to rent in Richmond?

I am living in Richmond now and will be moving to Lexington to go to law school. I live in a house that I really love and it will be for rent when I move (probably July but no later than August 1). I've put my landlord through a lot of ups and downs during this application cycle--I'm moving, I'm staying, I'm moving...you all know how it is when you are trying to decide where to go, waiting for scholarships, hoping to get off of wls, etc. She is a really cool landlord so I feel bad and would like to hook her up with a good renter and I also want to give TLSers the first crack at it. It is relatively cheap for a 3 bedroom/1 bath--I pay $775 a month (I don't know if my landlord is planning on raising the rent, but I doubt it...). if you are interested in more info, PM me. Also, if you may be interested but need a roomate, let me know. I may know someone--or another person may also be interested and I could forward their info with their permission.

It is about 10 minutes from U or R and right over the bridge (5 min) from downtown (it is in Southside, if you are familiar with Richmond)

It is in a working class neighborhood that is relatively quiet. My neighbors are really nice and always look out for me.
Let me know if you might be interested and I will send you pictures, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:30 am

Does anyone have an estimate of the amt. of loans one would have to take out to pay for a UR legal education, without scholly?

I'm torn between Pitt and SC (both decent schollys), though they are both, primarily, regional schools. I want to live/practice in VA, so I'm feeling pretty stuck.

Hoo09

New

Post by Hoo09 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:24 pm

paulmar wrote:Does anyone have an estimate of the amt. of loans one would have to take out to pay for a UR legal education, without scholly?

I'm torn between Pitt and SC (both decent schollys), though they are both, primarily, regional schools. I want to live/practice in VA, so I'm feeling pretty stuck.
Hmm..that sounds like a tough choice. I would think under $160,000 total..I could be wrong, but that seems about right to me because this year it was around $49,900-$50,000 I believe (don't have the loan papers in front of me)..and it seems to go up around $3,000 a year. Also, there's an extra $2,000 for the laptop in the first year. Either way, it's not going to stay $49,000..it will go up. Which I know that sounds like a lot of money and it is, but I believe some of the higher ranked schools are starting at $55,000 right now (e.g. UVa is I believe $55,000 for residents) ..so that means you'd be taking out closer to $175,000..and Georgetown is around $66,000 total for 2009-2010. So..depends on how good your scholarships are and how important it is for you to be in VA while studying. I think that Richmond would give you a leg up in the VA market, but Pitt and SC are also both good schools.

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:30 pm

Hoo09 wrote:
paulmar wrote:Does anyone have an estimate of the amt. of loans one would have to take out to pay for a UR legal education, without scholly?

Hmm..that sounds like a tough choice. I would think under $160,000 total..I could be wrong, but that seems about right to me because this year it was around $49,900-$50,000 I believe (don't have the loan papers in front of me)..and it seems to go up around $3,000 a year. Also, there's an extra $2,000 for the laptop in the first year. Either way, it's not going to stay $49,000..it will go up. Which I know that sounds like a lot of money and it is, but I believe some of the higher ranked schools are starting at $55,000 right now (e.g. UVa is I believe $55,000 for residents) ..so that means you'd be taking out closer to $175,000..and Georgetown is around $66,000 total for 2009-2010. So..depends on how good your scholarships are and how important it is for you to be in VA while studying. I think that Richmond would give you a leg up in the VA market, but Pitt and SC are also both good schools.

Word, thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. My schollys to Pitt and SC are $14k/yr & $15k/yr, respectively. Living in VA while studying isn't a priority, but it'd be a huge benefit to my girlfriend and me, as we'd have a stronger support system as all our family and friends are in VA. Also, I have a laptop already - does Richmond have a standard that they require?

My main concern is degree portability, at this point. As long as I know that I'll be able to find a job in my hometown, I'm fine with wherever.

Thanks again for your help, I need all the advice/info I can find!

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Also, do you guys think it would be unwise of me to call and ask if they're still accepting. Kind of like, "Hi, I'm a priority WL'er and I was wondering if there are still spots being offered, or if the class of 2012 has been filled?"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:22 pm

Call them. I think that they are happy to help, and as long as you are polite, it can only help you to make contact with them and let them know you are very interested. If you can, I'd even make the trip to see them.

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:34 pm

ruraljuror wrote:Call them. I think that they are happy to help, and as long as you are polite, it can only help you to make contact with them and let them know you are very interested. If you can, I'd even make the trip to see them.
Well, I called and was shocked/stunned/flustered when Dean Rahman introduced herself and I awkwardly was like "Uh, Oh! Hi!", LOL. Apparently decisions go out in two batches. One after the initial deposit for most schools and the other beginning July.

Ohhh what a wait I have. She said she'd keep her fingers crossed for me - what a nice woman. Ahh, I guess I'm going to have to spend that $500 on SC to still have a shot at Richmond. :cry:

At least I know that she knows I'm interested and am willing to place my other acceptances on hold. Rural, I hope we get to meet each other next fall! Keep your fingers crossed for me, as well!

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:09 pm

I've definitely got 'em crossed for you! I had a feeling you'd get to talk to her, I love their admissions office. Now, follow it up with an LOCI, if you haven't already!

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:06 am

ruraljuror wrote:I've definitely got 'em crossed for you! I had a feeling you'd get to talk to her, I love their admissions office. Now, follow it up with an LOCI, if you haven't already!
Thanks rural! I'm not really sure how to write/what to write in an LOCI. I kind of wrote a pretty lengthy email to secure my spot in the priority WL (i.e. I've loved UR since I wanted to attend school, love Richmond and basically how excited I am to be included in the P-WL).

Any suggestions? Maybe I could get my boss to write an additional letter of recommendation. And, it just so happens that a Senior Attorney General (or two, or three) are Richmond alumn, so maybe a letter from them would help as well.

I'm so ready for all this to be over. I'm stuck in limbo with my summer plans, as I have no idea where I'll be. GAH!

edit: Just got an email from UK, and they're not accepting anymore people. Ah, at least there's one school I can cross of the list.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Okay, I pm'd you with a huge long list of things to say.

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Mon May 04, 2009 3:40 pm

Any news? Anyone off the WL since that storm of acceptances mid-April?

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Just got a call from the dean Saturday. I'm in and she asked if I had my FAFSA complete. Sounds like there's not a ton of money to be had. From Virginia Beach and hoping to work in DC, and this is my first acceptance (Deadline applicant). Has anyone else received word on $$?

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:29 pm

GordonBombay wrote:Just got a call from the dean Saturday. I'm in and she asked if I had my FAFSA complete. Sounds like there's not a ton of money to be had. From Virginia Beach and hoping to work in DC, and this is my first acceptance (Deadline applicant). Has anyone else received word on $$?
When I was accepted I talked to Dean Rahman about $$. Things did not sound optimistic at all, but much to my surprise I received a generous offer a month later. From what I've seen, they are pretty generous with $$ around here. What are your #s?

haha just realized this is the old thread from last year

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”