The Official in at Richmond Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jewtangclan03

New

The Official in at Richmond Thread

Post by jewtangclan03 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:31 am

Spoke w/ Dean Rahman today. I thought it was a very nice touch for her to call and tell me that my acceptance packet was on its way.

Any other possible Spiders out there?

laurathenerd

New

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Post by laurathenerd » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:31 am

Congrats! I love the University of Richmond - I just ran a 10k over there during Thanksgiving break and it's a beautiful campus.

Question: Did you ever get a "complete" email? I haven't heard anything since I submitted my application, and I'm just wondering if they never received my Dean's Cert or if they just don't let you know if you're complete.

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:40 am

No complete e-mail, just the standard application receipt e-mail. I was wondering the same thing-- looks like they got everything. I'm sure you'll be getting the good news soon.

Thanks for the congratulations. There's a halfway decent chance I end up going there, esp. if they give me some $$

athens905

New

Post by athens905 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:53 am

I found out I got accepted today. I called to see if my application was complete, and the administrator transferred me to the Dean. I was worried something was wrong with my application at first, but then she told me that I had been accepted. I was surprised as I only applied about a week and a half ago.

I definitely might end up at Richmond. I'm still waiting to hear from all my other choices (Georgia and Tulane mainly), but I am really interested in Richmond.

I just wish they weren't the spiders. I mean, seriously. Spiders.

dkelch317

New

Post by dkelch317 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:42 pm

I got in about a month ago, and have been excited about U of R ever since. The call from the dean was awesome, and seriously made me give the school another look since I have been dead set on Pitt. I also can't wait to hear about the John Marshall Scholars thing. If I get that, I don't know if I'll be able to pass Richmond up!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:13 pm

In at Richmond one day after my updates LSAT score!

Stats:

165 LSAT
2.97 GPA

Still waiting on American, George Mason, and George Washington (long shot). The only downfall would be that its over an hour away!

george

New

Post by george » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:07 pm

Found out about 4 weeks ago via dean's phone call (2.99/162). Really impressed that she took the time to do that, even though I was a little caught off guard when the call came at 9:45 pm from a number I didn't recognize. Excited about visiting next month and talking with people I know from Richmond to get a feel for the city. There is a very real chance that I'll end up there, I think.

interestedbyestander

New

Post by interestedbyestander » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:33 pm

I lived 8 years in Richmond, perfect size city, a great historical and classy city though very conservative. But for schools I've always been a UVa fan. UR is very preppy, status-minded school, not my type. It's a decent law school but you would have to expect to practice in the state of Va, and be prepared to take a serious back seat to UVa and W&M grads.

Good luck though.

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:12 pm

I may be a future Spider, too! Like several other people (on this thread & another one), getting into that John Marshall Scholar program would be a deciding factor. I got the call from the dean around Jan. 13th, and then got the John Marshall application last Saturday - still haven't finished the essay to my satisfaction... And I thought I was done with applications!! Soooon it will be just a waiting game, once again.

Man, at my undergrad, my mascot was a kangaroo. Like I didn't get enough crap for that?? Ugh. I detest spiders.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Michelephant

New

Post by Michelephant » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:10 am

I got a call from Dean Rahman and I thought it was a "you've won a sweepstakes" call. Really funny, but it was my first call-in acceptance and didn't know what to expect.

What are people doing about roommates?! I've scoured the net looking for good websites with R'mond roommates and no luck.

tbx59

New

Post by tbx59 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:25 pm

Got a call today, she left a message saying she would try back (damn working on sundays and being out of my office teaching a group) --- I can't imagine she called to ding me

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:28 pm

tchadwick wrote:I may be a future Spider, too! Like several other people (on this thread & another one), getting into that John Marshall Scholar program would be a deciding factor. I got the call from the dean around Jan. 13th, and then got the John Marshall application last Saturday - still haven't finished the essay to my satisfaction... And I thought I was done with applications!! Soooon it will be just a waiting game, once again.

Man, at my undergrad, my mascot was a kangaroo. Like I didn't get enough crap for that?? Ugh. I detest spiders.
Zips?

Bentley9

New

Post by Bentley9 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:22 pm

I applied E.D. and I think I actually might have gotten deferred to regular , then accepted on the same day back in December. My GPA at the time was sub 3.0, which I think sort of disqualified me for the small scholarship money that comes automatically with an E.D. acceptance. Dean Rahman called and let me know not to freak out if I got my deferral letter before my acceptance letter (which actually came 1 day earlier). So I am pretty glad that she got through on my cell phone. At that point, I considered applying to other schools for the hell of it, but have since decided not to.

Sending my first deposit in tommorrow! Perhaps I will see some of ya'll next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

upstateny

New

Post by upstateny » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:44 pm

I received a letter from the "student orientation committee" today, compelling me to consider the school. However, it did not mention whether or not I was accepted...I wonder if this letter somehow beat the acceptance package to my mailbox? Did anyone else receive this letter?

soxfan08

New

Post by soxfan08 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:48 pm

I have also been accepted at Richmond and invited to apply for the John Marshall scholarship. I have a stupid question about the application essay. It says to write or type the answer on the sheet with the question. Is any one else who is doing the essay going to answer on that sheet? It doesn't make sense to me at all. I think I should just attach separate pages. Also, is anyone else having trouble writing an answer in just 500 words? Seems pretty short for a scholarship that is worth so much $$.

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:34 pm

I got the call from Dean Rahman two days ago, she was incredibly nice and everything I've heard/read about the school so far makes me think I would love to go there. I haven't seen the campus, and I'm planning a trip back east in a month to go check it out. When I talked to her she didn't say that I should apply for the JM scholarship, only that she thinks they may be able to give me some money. Does the invitation to apply for the JM come in the admissions letter, or did other people hear it directly from Dean Rahman?

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:51 pm

ruraljuror wrote:Does the invitation to apply for the JM come in the admissions letter, or did other people hear it directly from Dean Rahman?
She did mention it to me during the phone call, and then the application materials came almost a week later (actually, they came BEFORE my official acceptance letter!) But, who knows, maybe that's not always the case!

As for the JM scholarship - I am also going to type mine on a separate piece of paper and just place it inside the application. I agree, it's silly to type it on there. I even emailed the admissions dept. to see if it would be easier just to e-mail them the essay. Judy Meyer said the important thing is to SIGN the paper application, then send it back to them. She even said that we could e-mail her our essay if it's getting near the deadline and we needed to, and then just send the paper copy (with signature!) afterwords.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hoo09

New

Post by Hoo09 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:14 pm

upstateny wrote:I received a letter from the "student orientation committee" today, compelling me to consider the school. However, it did not mention whether or not I was accepted...I wonder if this letter somehow beat the acceptance package to my mailbox? Did anyone else receive this letter?
Hello! I got that letter I believe the day before Dean Rahman called. Not sure if it means you're in 100%, but it's definitely not a bad sign! :wink: Hmm..didn't hear about the JM program, so guess that means I won't be receiving an app? Not sure about that either.. :?

Hoo09

New

Post by Hoo09 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:39 pm

*Bump* Anyone else in? :)

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Anybody know when scholarship offers will be going out?

lasolas

New

Post by lasolas » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:29 pm

I received the Marshall scholarship app but haven't been accepted or even told if I am complete. Is anyone else getting a ridiculous amount of snail mail from them? I get info about another one of their programs every few days. Hey Richmond, a much more effective way of convincing me to go to your school would be to accept me!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:53 pm

lasolas wrote:I received the Marshall scholarship app but haven't been accepted or even told if I am complete. Is anyone else getting a ridiculous amount of snail mail from them? I get info about another one of their programs every few days. Hey Richmond, a much more effective way of convincing me to go to your school would be to accept me!

I think that you've been accepted. I got a call from the dean, and my acceptance packet, but not an invitation to apply for the JM. You should just call them, I'm sure they call tell you over the phone. The JM application is due on the 15th, so you only have 10 days as it is.

And if you are accepted - congratulations!

Michelephant

New

Post by Michelephant » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:51 pm

I have a dinner with Dean Rahman on the 24th. Apparently UR's doing something special for the grads taking the bar in VaBeach so she'll be here dining with us. I'll be sure to ask her questions about scholarship offers and what not and post back with any news.

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:54 pm

Michelephant wrote:I have a dinner with Dean Rahman on the 24th. Apparently UR's doing something special for the grads taking the bar in VaBeach so she'll be here dining with us. I'll be sure to ask her questions about scholarship offers and what not and post back with any news.

Great, thanks! Is she as nice as she seems on the phone?

lasolas

New

Post by lasolas » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:33 pm

ruraljuror wrote:
lasolas wrote:I received the Marshall scholarship app but haven't been accepted or even told if I am complete. Is anyone else getting a ridiculous amount of snail mail from them? I get info about another one of their programs every few days. Hey Richmond, a much more effective way of convincing me to go to your school would be to accept me!

I think that you've been accepted. I got a call from the dean, and my acceptance packet, but not an invitation to apply for the JM. You should just call them, I'm sure they call tell you over the phone. The JM application is due on the 15th, so you only have 10 days as it is.

And if you are accepted - congratulations!
Thanks, I hope so! I think I'll just send in the app and hope that it helps to admit me if I'm not already. I've also considered retaliating against their mail barrage by returning the favor and filling their mailbox with glossy flyers discussing why they should choose me... Ok, not really... But if I didn't care if I got in or not, it would be fun!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”