In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Post Reply
User avatar
Giles Rich

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:52 am

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by Giles Rich » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:37 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Giles Rich wrote:Definitely. I probably would have done the same.
After the Open-House, I'm actually leaning back towards Seton Hall.


Oh, nice!!! What changed your mind about it? Is it the health law program??


The Health Law program was one thing. I also got a straight answer on the curve and it turns out the median GPA is around 3.1-3.2 and I would only have to stay in the top 40% to keep the scholarship. I thought the faculty were really impressive too. Also, by taking summer school I can finish the PT program in 3.5 yrs instead of the full 4 yrs that it usually takes.

User avatar
IzziesGal

Silver
Posts: 760
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Giles Rich wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
Giles Rich wrote:Definitely. I probably would have done the same.
After the Open-House, I'm actually leaning back towards Seton Hall.


Oh, nice!!! What changed your mind about it? Is it the health law program??


The Health Law program was one thing. I also got a straight answer on the curve and it turns out the median GPA is around 3.1-3.2 and I would only have to stay in the top 40% to keep the scholarship. I thought the faculty were really impressive too. Also, by taking summer school I can finish the PT program in 3.5 yrs instead of the full 4 yrs that it usually takes.


Those all sound like really great reasons to take Seton Hall over Rutgers. Best of luck to you!!!

User avatar
Giles Rich

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:52 am

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by Giles Rich » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:45 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Giles Rich wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
Giles Rich wrote:Definitely. I probably would have done the same.
After the Open-House, I'm actually leaning back towards Seton Hall.


Oh, nice!!! What changed your mind about it? Is it the health law program??


The Health Law program was one thing. I also got a straight answer on the curve and it turns out the median GPA is around 3.1-3.2 and I would only have to stay in the top 40% to keep the scholarship. I thought the faculty were really impressive too. Also, by taking summer school I can finish the PT program in 3.5 yrs instead of the full 4 yrs that it usually takes.


Those all sound like really great reasons to take Seton Hall over Rutgers. Best of luck to you!!!


You too! Berkeley is great. I used to live there (I'm from Nor Cal).

User avatar
bayberrymoon

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by bayberrymoon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:26 pm

CONGRATS on Berkeley, IzziesGal! Thanks for all your help on the Rutgers-Newark threads :D

User avatar
IzziesGal

Silver
Posts: 760
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:28 pm

bayberrymoon wrote:CONGRATS on Berkeley, IzziesGal! Thanks for all your help on the Rutgers-Newark threads :D


No problem, guys! Best of luck to everyone here. And again, any questions about Newark or the campus, don't hesitate to ask me. And have a drink at McGovern's for me (preferably a Blue Moon with an orange slice)!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
premierock

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by premierock » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:31 pm

Anyone sending LOCI's or have any advice?

User avatar
A'nold

Gold
Posts: 3617
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by A'nold » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:36 pm

I might send a LOCI so I'd be interested as well.

olesya154

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:09 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by olesya154 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Guys, does anyone know how far Rutgers Law School is from the train station going to Manhattan? I am trying to think whether it will be a safe walk/ride after 8 pm...

User avatar
dapoetic1

Bronze
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by dapoetic1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:13 pm

olesya154 wrote:Guys, does anyone know how far Rutgers Law School is from the train station going to Manhattan? I am trying to think whether it will be a safe walk/ride after 8 pm...


You can walk to Penn Station it's no more than a mile down 2 pretty large/busy streets

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
IzziesGal

Silver
Posts: 760
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:09 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
olesya154 wrote:Guys, does anyone know how far Rutgers Law School is from the train station going to Manhattan? I am trying to think whether it will be a safe walk/ride after 8 pm...


You can walk to Penn Station it's no more than a mile down 2 pretty large/busy streets


Penn Station to Rutgers Newark is not a good idea for a walk. Not sure if they have a light rail or anything else that will take you there, but as a Rutgers Newark former undergrad, I wouldn't reccommend that.

User avatar
bayberrymoon

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by bayberrymoon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:13 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:
olesya154 wrote:Guys, does anyone know how far Rutgers Law School is from the train station going to Manhattan? I am trying to think whether it will be a safe walk/ride after 8 pm...


You can walk to Penn Station it's no more than a mile down 2 pretty large/busy streets


Penn Station to Rutgers Newark is not a good idea for a walk. Not sure if they have a light rail or anything else that will take you there, but as a Rutgers Newark former undergrad, I wouldn't reccommend that.


From Penn Station you can take the light rail to a couple of blocks from the campus. I did this when I visited. After sundown, I probably wouldn't want to walk those couple of blocks (the area's not too great), but I read somewhere on the Rutgers-Newark site that there are free buses or shuttles that go back and forth from either the light rail station or Penn Station, starting from the late afternoon or early evening. I can post more specifics once I find it.

User avatar
jpasqu1

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 am

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by jpasqu1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:18 pm

bayberrymoon wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:
olesya154 wrote:Guys, does anyone know how far Rutgers Law School is from the train station going to Manhattan? I am trying to think whether it will be a safe walk/ride after 8 pm...


You can walk to Penn Station it's no more than a mile down 2 pretty large/busy streets


Penn Station to Rutgers Newark is not a good idea for a walk. Not sure if they have a light rail or anything else that will take you there, but as a Rutgers Newark former undergrad, I wouldn't reccommend that.


From Penn Station you can take the light rail to a couple of blocks from the campus. I did this when I visited. After sundown, I probably wouldn't want to walk those couple of blocks (the area's not too great), but I read somewhere on the Rutgers-Newark site that there are free buses or shuttles that go back and forth from either the light rail station or Penn Station, starting from the late afternoon or early evening. I can post more specifics once I find it.



http://www.newark.rutgers.edu/masstransit/

It says the shuttle runs every 15 minutes to Broad Street Station and you can take the light rail to Penn Station.

User avatar
LegalPink

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:53 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by LegalPink » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:48 pm

So I was looking at the housing options for Seton Hall (I know this is the Rutgers thread, it applies, no worries)...and there are two really nice apartment buildings located really close to both schools. Has anyone lived in/checked out either Eleven 80 (http://www.eleven80rentals.com/) or The Union Building (http://www.unionbuilding.com/index.html).

Just something to kill time I guess. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
j.hodgman

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:09 am

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by j.hodgman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:16 pm

In via email! Finally!

I was hoping Rutgers would show me more love/speed since I'm NB alumna. Alas.

User avatar
coolkatz321

Bronze
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by coolkatz321 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:28 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
bayberrymoon wrote:CONGRATS on Berkeley, IzziesGal! Thanks for all your help on the Rutgers-Newark threads :D


No problem, guys! Best of luck to everyone here. And again, any questions about Newark or the campus, don't hesitate to ask me. And have a drink at McGovern's for me (preferably a Blue Moon with an orange slice)!!!!


Congrats on Berkeley! Now, on a more serious note-- a piece of fruit does not belong in a beer. That's blasphemous.

User avatar
j.hodgman

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:09 am

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by j.hodgman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:43 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
bayberrymoon wrote:CONGRATS on Berkeley, IzziesGal! Thanks for all your help on the Rutgers-Newark threads :D


No problem, guys! Best of luck to everyone here. And again, any questions about Newark or the campus, don't hesitate to ask me. And have a drink at McGovern's for me (preferably a Blue Moon with an orange slice)!!!!


Congrats on Berkeley! Now, on a more serious note-- a piece of fruit does not belong in a beer. That's blasphemous.


for realz? i know you're the beer guy, but, but... blue moon ♥ orange slice 4ever

holmesNYC

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:52 am

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:24 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:Now, on a more serious note-- a piece of fruit does not belong in a beer. That's blasphemous.

+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


holmesNYC

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:52 am

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 pm

jpasqu1 wrote:http://www.newark.rutgers.edu/masstransit/

It says the shuttle runs every 15 minutes to Broad Street Station and you can take the light rail to Penn Station.


Did you look at that link recently? I'm getting the good old 404 Error for the shuttle information. :( I'm wondering if any law students do this commute regularly. I was considering it.

User avatar
jpasqu1

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 am

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by jpasqu1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:42 am

holmesNYC wrote:
jpasqu1 wrote:http://www.newark.rutgers.edu/masstransit/

It says the shuttle runs every 15 minutes to Broad Street Station and you can take the light rail to Penn Station.


Did you look at that link recently? I'm getting the good old 404 Error for the shuttle information. :( I'm wondering if any law students do this commute regularly. I was considering it.


I noticed the website was doing that but Rutgers website seems kinda crappy so idk if that is simply the website or is an indication that the shuttle doesn't run. I've got a friend there who takes the train to broad street everyday. He walks from there to campus. He is in UG though so I don't think he is walking back at a late hour. He said that there are plenty of people begging for money on that walk but I'm under the impression he doesn't ever feel threatened. I'll ask him if there is a shuttle that he just doesn't use.

User avatar
king3780

Bronze
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by king3780 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:35 am

king3780 wrote:
nanaNa wrote:In!

Non-trad, 160/2.8
PT

Complete 1/23

Rock!


Hearing this is painful for me. I'm also a non-trad, PT, with a 157 and 3.16. Went complete 1/16. So how did you get a response sooner? I could see if you were an auto-admit getting a decision sooner, but I would think my slightly lower LSAT is balanced by my slightly higher GPA. Nothing against you, I just want a decision!


Since there was a lengthy discussion here earlier in the thread I thought I should update that I got in via e-mail on 2/24. R-N is my current top choice (pending reaches Fordham and Temple).

User avatar
Zeph

Bronze
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by Zeph » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:56 pm

Do you all know if there is anyway of hearing back early if we were deferred?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


olesya154

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:09 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by olesya154 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:44 pm

Zeph wrote:Do you all know if there is anyway of hearing back early if we were deferred?


My deferral email said that the latest I will hear from them is mid-April. Let's hope it is true! I also looked at LSN and there is not enough information to know how many people actually get off the waitlist :(

User avatar
Zeph

Bronze
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by Zeph » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:49 pm

Yep im a mid-april candidate as well =/

User avatar
klmnumbers

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by klmnumbers » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Every time someone posts randomly in this thread, my heart skips a beat.

I know people had been traditionally notified via snail mail... Have they started e-mailing ALL news to applicants first followed by a snail mail letter? Or are they only e-mailing sometimes?

Because I am seriously dying to hear from them. I know I should be patient. I went complete on 1/29, but people who have gone complete after me are already in.. so.. I'm spazzing. =)

User avatar
A'nold

Gold
Posts: 3617
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by A'nold » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Is being put "on hold" the same as "deferred"? I believe I was put on hold.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”