In at Rutgers Newark!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sunshine429

New

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by sunshine429 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:19 pm

I'm sorry Zeph :cry: Just stay positive. I'm sure your going to get an acceptance soon :)

ghelpme

New

Post by ghelpme » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:59 pm

Zeph...if its any help...write another letter of continued interest and talk about one of the clinics in the school as a reason you want to go there....it might help
good luck :)
my stats are lsat 159 3.4 gpa double major

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:01 pm

sunshine429 wrote:I'm sorry Zeph :cry: Just stay positive. I'm sure your going to get an acceptance soon :)

hehe Ill try =)

Also I did write a LOCI and Dean Walton told me to sit tight when I was deferred...Now I am waitlisted so debating what to do.

ghelpme

New

Post by ghelpme » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:04 pm

dont give up...write a letter and talk about your interest in one of the clinics....thats what i did....and email walton every once in a while with a brief note...

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:55 pm

Zeph you want me to write you an LoR? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude hang in there!!! It'll come.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:33 am

Patients is something that I am definitely learning this cycle =)

I will heed the advice from you guys and maybe toss another LOR, and I want to make a visit sometime soon

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Thu May 07, 2009 7:47 pm

Tell them PIB sent you ;)

I have been offered a chance to defer my admission to next year. I really hope my spot goes to you. You are hungry. I respect that.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:59 pm

PIB--I hope you take Rutgers up on their offer to join the c/o 2013!!!
And I hope Zeph gets your spot!

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Fri May 08, 2009 2:08 am

passitback wrote:Tell them PIB sent you ;)

I have been offered a chance to defer my admission to next year. I really hope my spot goes to you. You are hungry. I respect that.

lol thanks dude, I appreciate that. Hopefully this will end in a positive way soon ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ghelpme

New

Post by ghelpme » Sat May 09, 2009 10:55 am

Zeph
we're pulling for you.... :D send a short email now and then to keep you're name in waltons head...good luck!
Otherwise, where did you send a deposit to hold a seat?

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Sat May 09, 2009 1:02 pm

Hey Zeph,

if you don't mind me asking, what about RN are you drawn to? I've put in my seat deposit but its not like i'm excited to be going there (more financial/career prospects decision) so I'd love to see what it is about the school that attracts you. I also didn't get a good feel for the school during my visit as it was in the evening/no tours/no students around...

Thanks!

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Sat May 09, 2009 1:05 pm

Hey PIB, did you defer before or after placing a seat deposit? I'm toying with this idea (take a year off to save money) and wondering how receptive RN will be given that I placed a deposit already.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:11 pm

bobothecat wrote:

Hey PIB, did you defer before or after placing a seat deposit? I'm toying with this idea (take a year off to save money) and wondering how receptive RN will be given that I placed a deposit already.
I'm not 100% positive but I'm fairly certain that if you ask for a deferment they will require you to put down a seat deposit anyway. It's like holding your deferred spot. And most schools (not sure about Rutgers specifically) will tell you the deferment is somewhat binding. Meaning, that you will have to put down a deposit and that it's non refundable if you decide not to attend or to attend another school.
So I'm guessing that since you've already put down a deposit it would be seen more positively by the administration. And of course by you asking to be deferred you're making room in the class for one more person that desperately wants to attend Rutgers this year (like Zeph)!

So if you really think deferring is the best option you should probably speak with them ASAP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Sat May 09, 2009 6:17 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
bobothecat wrote:

I'm not 100% positive but I'm fairly certain that if you ask for a deferment they will require you to put down a seat deposit anyway. It's like holding your deferred spot. And most schools (not sure about Rutgers specifically) will tell you the deferment is somewhat binding. Meaning, that you will have to put down a deposit and that it's non refundable if you decide not to attend or to attend another school.
So I'm guessing that since you've already put down a deposit it would be seen more positively by the administration. And of course by you asking to be deferred you're making room in the class for one more person that desperately wants to attend Rutgers this year (like Zeph)!

So if you really think deferring is the best option you should probably speak with them ASAP.

truthhhh

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Sat May 16, 2009 12:14 am

its been quiet in here for a while...hope next week will bring some good news

ghelpme

New

Post by ghelpme » Sat May 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Did you send another letter? Keeping my fingers crossed for you :D

j.hodgman

New

Post by j.hodgman » Sat May 16, 2009 10:17 pm

Has anyone here been successful in negotiating scholarship, even after sending in a seat deposit? I already sent in my $300, but a couple days ago Brooklyn threw another 10k my way, so I'm thinking of asking Rutgers if they'll raise my scholarship to match or exceed Brooklyn's offer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

New

Post by 1230987 » Sun May 17, 2009 1:03 am

Has anyone here been successful in negotiating scholarship, even after sending in a seat deposit? I already sent in my $300, but a couple days ago Brooklyn threw another 10k my way, so I'm thinking of asking Rutgers if they'll raise my scholarship to match or exceed Brooklyn's offer.
I'd be interested to hear what their response is. Do you already have some scholarship money coming your way?

FiatLux

New

Post by FiatLux » Sun May 17, 2009 1:17 am

1230987 wrote:
I'd be interested to hear what their response is. Do you already have some scholarship money coming your way?
I've already sent in my seat deposit to Rutgers and I withdrew from the other schools I was considering. However, I'm guessing the worst that can happen is that they say 'no' if I ask for scholarship money? I turned down a $32,500/year scholarship from Syracuse Law to attend Rutgers-Newark for full in-state tuition. Given that it's pretty late in the cycle, I'm guessing there probably isn't any scholarship money left in the pot. :cry:

j.hodgman

New

Post by j.hodgman » Sun May 17, 2009 8:55 am

FiatLux wrote:
1230987 wrote:
I've already sent in my seat deposit to Rutgers and I withdrew from the other schools I was considering. However, I'm guessing the worst that can happen is that they say 'no' if I ask for scholarship money? I turned down a $32,500/year scholarship from Syracuse Law to attend Rutgers-Newark for full in-state tuition. Given that it's pretty late in the cycle, I'm guessing there probably isn't any scholarship money left in the pot. :cry:
You are probably right about this, but I figure it can't hurt to ask. I'm planning to send the email this week and I'll update this thread if anything happens.

I already have some money from Rutgers, but the additional scholarship Brooklyn offered me actually makes their tuition less than what I'd be paying at Rutgers.

maxima099

New

Post by maxima099 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:13 pm

j.hodgman wrote:
FiatLux wrote:
1230987 wrote:
You are probably right about this, but I figure it can't hurt to ask. I'm planning to send the email this week and I'll update this thread if anything happens.

I already have some money from Rutgers, but the additional scholarship Brooklyn offered me actually makes their tuition less than what I'd be paying at Rutgers.
The thing is, Rutgers is a great school if you consider the quality:tuition ratio. If Brooklyn is cheaper than Rutgers though, then I would think that this ratio favors Brooklyn. So in your case, with Brooklyn actually being cheaper, I'd choose Brooklyn over Rutgers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

j.hodgman

New

Post by j.hodgman » Mon May 18, 2009 8:00 pm

j.hodgman wrote:
FiatLux wrote:
1230987 wrote:

OK, so I emailed Dean Walton and asked if they would consider increasing my scholarship...and basically she said there's no more money to go around at this point. She said they might consider again in the summer if any funds free up, but not to hold my breath. It's pretty much what I expected, but I did get a pretty nice email from Dean Walton, so it was worth it to ask.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:08 pm

j.hodgman wrote:
FiatLux wrote:
1230987 wrote:

I've hear good things about Brooklyn. And from what I've found out by asking current atty's in NY they have a decent reputation among employers. The only negative thing I've heard (which isn't really a negative depending on your status) is that the school tends to favor PT students slightly. They tailor the class schedules and work load to match working professionals and evening students. If you're an evening student then it's great, but a few FT day students said they've frequently been offered classes that only meet rather late in the day. Also they a friend of mine said it's a great environment for older students (much like Rutgers and a lot of other mostly commuter schools), and it's not that anyone straight from undergrad would be unwelcome but there is definitely a large population of non-trads. Like I said these aren't negative things they are just part of what makes the school work. I think in some ways employers know that by hiring BrookLaw grads they're typically getting people that have had a prior profession so it could work to your benefit. Either way I think you've got a couple of good choices. It's hard to find a school in or near NYC cheaper than Rutgers!! So that's definitely something to think about. What about housing? if you include living expenses for NYC v NJ is Brooklyn still cheaper?

Who32

New

Post by Who32 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:01 pm

anyone get in off the WL yet? When are Rutger's seat deposits due?

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Thu May 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Who32 wrote:anyone get in off the WL yet? When are Rutger's seat deposits due?
Interested in this as well. Sent in an update to my file and just waiting at this point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”