University of Florida Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alirod12

Bronze

Re: University of Florida

Post by alirod12 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:45 pm

mattyboy7we wrote:
alirod12 wrote:Unless you are choosing Gainesville over another equally hurting Florida school (FSU), then Florida isn't a solid choice. To be fair, it is what you make of it, but there isn't much to make anything of, except for the free tuition for anyone with a pulse. Speaking in terms of the town and the undergrad experience, the smartest thing to do is get in and get out as fast as is humanly possible. However I could be responding to a testosterone riddled frat boy who bleeds orange and blue, in which case this reply is a waste of time.

Goooooo Gators!
I go to UF also, however it looks like you just didn't go out much/ make friends. I can honestly say it was the best four years of my life that went by TOO FAST. It isn't a bad school and the fact that I can go for free makes that much better. So if you consider winning 4 national championships, having one of the best night life/ club/ bar scenes for a college town, and a good education not "much to make anything of" then you wasted your undergrad.

I'm not trying to be mean but I hate when people talk down about UF....
Totally fair and not mean at all...I had great friends when I was there who also shared the same feelings. There were definitely a handful of people I might that are now my truly great friends, but for the most part the night life/bar/club scene is beat as hell and tries way too hard. Now this IS coming from someone who grew up going out on South Beach, which REALISTICALLY has one of if not THE premiere night life in the country. The clubs and bars in Gainesville are overpacked and a joke. They play music I danced to at bar mitzvahs and everyone is wearing the same thing, seemingly supplied by Abercrombie and/or American Eagle as a marketing plan. The town is hot as balls, cool breezes do not exist, there is no scenery and no water anywhere close. The campus is huge, driving is a nightmare, and parking was more of a fantasy than a reality. I don't consider winning 4 national championships anything to shake a stick at. Maybe when you go on job interviews you can bring up those crowning achievements to provide that extra edge. I could see how it would be the best four years of your life-if you spent your high schools years hiding in your bedroom wanking to your World of Warcraft elf-maiden.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:55 pm

I could see how it would be the best four years of your life-if you spent your high schools years hiding in your bedroom wanking to your World of Warcraft elf-maiden.
These are not mutually exclusive. See generallyPKSebben (2008).

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:00 am

midrangejumper wrote:this thread has made me seriously reconsider UF
the more of you folks that reconsider, the better my chances get......

mattyboy7we

New

Post by mattyboy7we » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:26 am

alirod12 wrote:
mattyboy7we wrote:
alirod12 wrote:Unless you are choosing Gainesville over another equally hurting Florida school (FSU), then Florida isn't a solid choice. To be fair, it is what you make of it, but there isn't much to make anything of, except for the free tuition for anyone with a pulse. Speaking in terms of the town and the undergrad experience, the smartest thing to do is get in and get out as fast as is humanly possible. However I could be responding to a testosterone riddled frat boy who bleeds orange and blue, in which case this reply is a waste of time.

Goooooo Gators!
I go to UF also, however it looks like you just didn't go out much/ make friends. I can honestly say it was the best four years of my life that went by TOO FAST. It isn't a bad school and the fact that I can go for free makes that much better. So if you consider winning 4 national championships, having one of the best night life/ club/ bar scenes for a college town, and a good education not "much to make anything of" then you wasted your undergrad.

Totally fair and not mean at all...I had great friends when I was there who also shared the same feelings. There were definitely a handful of people I might that are now my truly great friends, but for the most part the night life/bar/club scene is beat as hell and tries way too hard. Now this IS coming from someone who grew up going out on South Beach, which REALISTICALLY has one of if not THE premiere night life in the country. The clubs and bars in Gainesville are overpacked and a joke. They play music I danced to at bar mitzvahs and everyone is wearing the same thing, seemingly supplied by Abercrombie and/or American Eagle as a marketing plan. The town is hot as balls, cool breezes do not exist, there is no scenery and no water anywhere close. The campus is huge, driving is a nightmare, and parking was more of a fantasy than a reality. I don't consider winning 4 national championships anything to shake a stick at. Maybe when you go on job interviews you can bring up those crowning achievements to provide that extra edge. I could see how it would be the best four years of your life-if you spent your high schools years hiding in your bedroom wanking to your World of Warcraft elf-maiden.
Yah that's so true, I don't know what I was thinking I forgot how cool breezes (its 30 degress outside now) don't exist and the there is no water? (lake on campus, lake walberg).

joonix

New

Post by joonix » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:35 am

if you're in-state and want to work in FL, how can you turn down $10k a year tuition? Who cares about quality of life in Gainesville. It's 3 years. It's not like you need to live in a cosmopolitan metropolis during law school -- you're too broke to enjoy any of the things that make those cities interesting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:08 am

Joonix that is a delightful and very true insight.

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:10 am

mattyboy7we wrote:
alirod12 wrote:
mattyboy7we wrote:

Goooooo Gators!

Yah that's so true, I don't know what I was thinking I forgot how cool breezes (its 30 degress outside now) don't exist and the there is no water? (lake on campus, lake walberg).
Oh my god I'm so sorry I forgot about the one day a year that Gainesville gets a reprieve from the disgusting boggy climate.

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:54 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
alirod12 wrote:Seriously, Gainesville sucks massive dick. And it's not up for discussion, so I don't want to hear any bullshit about their NCAA championships or very average academic programs.
While their law school is excellent, I remember Mike and the Mad Dog (WFAN 660) constantly joking that a house plant could be admitted to UF's undergrad program.

Funny.
You're relying on Mike and the Mad Dog for your academic info?

UF undergrad- ranked 49, 25/75 GPA: 4.0-4.4, SAT: 1210-1400

Your undergrad, SUNY Buffalo- ranked 121, 25/75 GPA: 3.1-3.6, SAT: 1100-1240

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:21 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
alirod12 wrote:Seriously, Gainesville sucks massive dick. And it's not up for discussion, so I don't want to hear any bullshit about their NCAA championships or very average academic programs.
While their law school is excellent, I remember Mike and the Mad Dog (WFAN 660) constantly joking that a house plant could be admitted to UF's undergrad program.

Funny.
That's bull... If you grow up in Florida, the general feeling is that UF's ug is almost impossible to get into. Moreover, I read an article at some point last year (if I find it I'll post it) about the growing number of applicants rejected from UF but admitted into the ivy league (not because UF competes with the Ivy's academically, but because of state budget cuts).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

project40

New

Post by project40 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:33 pm

i've been all documents required received since like 12/10 lol what gives?

acfrahm

New

Post by acfrahm » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:52 pm

project40 wrote:i've been all documents required received since like 12/10 lol what gives?
I've been there since 11/18. They said i would be there until i go under review. I have no idea what takes so long. Florida has been by far the worst school in getting things organized. Let me know if you go under review any time soon.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:26 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:

Funny.

4.0 to 4.4? I don't think so. Regardless, UB gave me lots of money, so I went there. If I could've afforded it, I'd be at UIUC or Wisconsin right now (hopefully I get into one of those for law school :lol: ).

So calm down, it's a joke.

On another note, my in-review status changed from 12/16 to 1/22 today. Anyone else?

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:52 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
SteelersandGators wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:

Funny.

4.0 to 4.4? I don't think so. Regardless, UB gave me lots of money, so I went there. If I could've afforded it, I'd be at UIUC or Wisconsin right now (hopefully I get into one of those for law school :lol: ).

So calm down, it's a joke.

On another note, my in-review status changed from 12/16 to 1/22 today. Anyone else?
I'm just pulling the GPA/SAT's off each school's website.....UF is probably using a weighted GPA in that calculation.

You don't have to defend yourself going to Buffalo...I was defending my alma mater, not trying to insult your school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Just went under review today. Not to bad considering I applied at the end of December.

mdd05d

New

Post by mdd05d » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:35 pm

Rule #1 (for those of you who aren't familiar with UF grads/students): If you say anything remotely negative about UF to a Gator they get really nasty and defensive. I think it's a class they all take. It's called something like, Inferiority Complex 101.
:D

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:41 pm

mdd05d wrote:Rule #1 (for those of you who aren't familiar with UF grads/students): If you say anything remotely negative about UF to a Gator they get really nasty and defensive. I think it's a class they all take. It's called something like, Inferiority Complex 101.
Says the FSU grad/student.

And everyone within Florida knows that FSU has a massive inferiority complex to UF. Whether it be with academics, sports, or just overall popularity of the respective schools.

And it wasn't that he said something negative about UF.... I've said negative stuff about the place myself. It's that he said something FALSE.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:43 pm

mdd05d wrote:Rule #1 (for those of you who aren't familiar with UF grads/students): If you say anything remotely negative about UF to a Gator they get really nasty and defensive. I think it's a class they all take. It's called something like, Inferiority Complex 101.
We just know that the Gators are better than everybody else. :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Zeppelin

Bronze

Post by The Zeppelin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:46 pm

Well Tim Tebow is the second coming.

Axis

New

Post by Axis » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:46 pm

alirod12 wrote:
mattyboy7we wrote:

Goooooo Gators!

Ouch, way to dump on my hometown. Yes, I'm an ACR.

afx

New

Post by afx » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:47 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Just went under review today. Not to bad considering I applied at the end of December.
Me too...I'm scared. What are your stats? I think I'm a borderline candidate, hopefully they aren't sending out rejections yet!
Last edited by afx on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:55 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Just went under review today. Not to bad considering I applied at the end of December.
Me too!!! Early December applicant. Can't wait to hear back!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

afx

New

Post by afx » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:57 pm

marqban wrote:
Me too!!! Early December applicant. Can't wait to hear back!
What are your stats?

jpitch455

New

Post by jpitch455 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:04 pm

I got in on 1/16. Did anyone get in before the New Year? Has anyone gotten any money yet (however stingy it may be)?

apere054

New

Post by apere054 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:16 pm

I've been under review since November and on January 13th the status went blank for most of the day. Then at night I checked it again and it said "Under review" again but the date changed to 01/13. I'm not really sure what that means. Aaaahhh...I just want an answer...

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Also went under review today. Been complete since 11/15 though. Non-resident/URM

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”