University of Florida Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
coolkatz321

Bronze

Re: University of Florida

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:29 pm

WL at Florida. Will fax in the withdrawal tomorrow.

lilquibo

New

Post by lilquibo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:46 pm

I think I might have some possible insight for you guys about UF's rather erratic selections this year. First, like i said when this thread first began, UF has been effected by budget cuts. I know alot of you had said that that is bullshit but after waking up in gainesville for the past 8 months and listening to NPR, that seems to be the consensus. Second, I wouldn't doubt if UF is trying to move up the rankings. Shit, why the hell not. We suffered a little bit of a drop in the rankings this year because of the elimination of our Spring program and its subsequent flooding into the Fall acceptances. Finally, the most important reason, what you guys neeeeed to understand about schools like UF is that they are trying to rid themselves of this "uncultured" "non-diverse" stigma. My current 1L class is far more diverse then this years 2L class. So whats happening is they are rejecting otherwise qualified people bc you guys are all alike: White/Male/UF undergrad/Political Science Major. Yes you may have a 3.8 and a 162 but you offer no diversity or different perspective. For a long time UF has been looked at as a "racist" school, only employing 2 or so black professors. I'm not saying that UF is accepting unqualified people because they are spanish or black or because they majored in Genetics and what have you. What i think is going on is that they are spreading themselves around and looking for qualified people all over the map rather then just filling up slots with the first 300 3.5+ and 160+ plus candidates. This is something I've always preached to people. Numbers are NOT everything, you need to make yourself unique. You need to offer the school something different, something they want to invest in. Just a reminder this is not a pro or con affirmative action post, it has nothing to do with that so please don't start responding on that topic.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:15 pm

lilquibo wrote:I think I might have some possible insight for you guys about UF's rather erratic selections this year. First, like i said when this thread first began, UF has been effected by budget cuts. I know alot of you had said that that is bullshit but after waking up in gainesville for the past 8 months and listening to NPR, that seems to be the consensus. Second, I wouldn't doubt if UF is trying to move up the rankings. Shit, why the hell not. We suffered a little bit of a drop in the rankings this year because of the elimination of our Spring program and its subsequent flooding into the Fall acceptances. Finally, the most important reason, what you guys neeeeed to understand about schools like UF is that they are trying to rid themselves of this "uncultured" "non-diverse" stigma. My current 1L class is far more diverse then this years 2L class. So whats happening is they are rejecting otherwise qualified people bc you guys are all alike: White/Male/UF undergrad/Political Science Major. Yes you may have a 3.8 and a 162 but you offer no diversity or different perspective. For a long time UF has been looked at as a "racist" school, only employing 2 or so black professors. I'm not saying that UF is accepting unqualified people because they are spanish or black or because they majored in Genetics and what have you. What i think is going on is that they are spreading themselves around and looking for qualified people all over the map rather then just filling up slots with the first 300 3.5+ and 160+ plus candidates. This is something I've always preached to people. Numbers are NOT everything, you need to make yourself unique. You need to offer the school something different, something they want to invest in. Just a reminder this is not a pro or con affirmative action post, it has nothing to do with that so please don't start responding on that topic.
If true, that's kind of refreshing. I don't think it's just my bad numbers talking either. (; I like that the folks putting together a class would attempt to avoid homogeny.

waker57

New

Post by waker57 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:23 pm

My cycle:

IN: UGA ($) - ATTENDING
Indiana ($$$)
GMU
Villanova
FSU

WL:
Notre Dame
Minnesota
Illinois
Wake

OUT:

U-FREAKIN'-F ?

168 / 2.9

GO DAWGS!

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:28 pm

waker57 wrote: IN: UGA ($) - ATTENDING
I love Athens. Beautiful town and wonderful people. Enjoy yourself!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:37 pm

waker57 wrote:My cycle:

IN: UGA ($) - ATTENDING
Indiana ($$$)
GMU
Villanova
FSU

WL:
Notre Dame
Minnesota
Illinois
Wake

OUT:

U-FREAKIN'-F ?

168 / 2.9

GO DAWGS!
UF likes somewhat high gpas... with a 2.9 you could of had a 172 and might not get in

HereinMiami

New

Post by HereinMiami » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:20 pm

I just got rejected with a 165LSAT 3.46GPA! And I am Freakin SHOCKED!!!! Not even WL Straight out RJ

Mighty Boom

New

Post by Mighty Boom » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:33 pm

DING!!!!

nychopeful

New

Post by nychopeful » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Ugh! I'm DIT 3/24 and am not at all looking forward to walking out to my mailbox tomorrow. If I don't get into UF, Seton Hall or Cardozo, I'm just sending my deposit into Miami and calling it a day.

Any fellow UF rejects living in Tampa that want to get drunk tomorrow night, you can find me at Macdintons - i'll be the girl with a vodka tonic wallowing in immense pity.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sweatervest

New

Post by sweatervest » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:58 pm

HereinMiami wrote:I just got rejected with a 165LSAT 3.46GPA! And I am Freakin SHOCKED!!!! Not even WL Straight out RJ
Holy shit. I'm shocked for you. How did you not get accepted with those numbers? Your LSAT alone should have gotten you in.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:16 pm

my brother in laws firm does a lot of hiring out of UF and he said their HR person has connections at the University and that "all hell is breaking loose" over the unexpected rejections, including the children of some "givers"...we may not have heard the last effects of this cycle...on another note, does anybody think that next year UF may be more transfer friendly?

Shockdaddy325

New

Post by Shockdaddy325 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:33 pm

I am quite personally stunned by some of these rejections.

I got waitlisted with worse numbers.

hopeforthebest

New

Post by hopeforthebest » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:50 pm

Mighty Boom wrote:DING!!!!
Mighty Boom, where do you live? I live in Gville, and was a DIT on 3/24, just like you, and I still haven't gotten my decision yet.... Not really sure why it is taking so freaking long.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:53 pm

Is there any reason to pick UF over Fordham PT? I do want to live in the northeast but I like Miami too. Let me know!

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:12 pm

geoanthem wrote:Is there any reason to pick UF over Fordham PT? I do want to live in the northeast but I like Miami too. Let me know!
no state income tax....maybe???

hopeforthebest

New

Post by hopeforthebest » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Where do you live? I went DIT just like you on 3/24, and I live in Gville, and STILL haven't received my decision yet.

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:24 pm

Some of these rejections are a little surprising - there sure isn't a lot of green on LSN.

I understand the feeling - I got a surprising WL from William and Mary in the mail today. But the scholarship letter that came from UF took a lot of the sting out of that - I'll probably be seat depositing next week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:51 am

a guy i talk to on LSN got rejected at UF in the 3/24 batch :? i guess ill be getting mine tomorrow

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:28 am

I think its pretty safe to say UF's admissions process this year doesnt really seem to have any trend... I got accepted with a 3.45 165 and I guess someone just got rejected with the exact same numbers. Im a white in state male, so I doubt I qualify as diverse (didnt write diversity statement because I felt I would be lying).

Shockdaddy325

New

Post by Shockdaddy325 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:28 am

jpin22 wrote:I think its pretty safe to say UF's admissions process this year doesnt really seem to have any trend... I got accepted with a 3.45 165 and I guess someone just got rejected with the exact same numbers. Im a white in state male, so I doubt I qualify as diverse (didnt write diversity statement because I felt I would be lying).
I wrote one as a white guy and was honest with them about things related to diversity that I did in college.

I almost wanted to write an anti-diversity statement, so to speak, saying that I had none and was one of the people whose minds need to be expanded by such diversity.

tempurabanana

New

Post by tempurabanana » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:44 pm

lilquibo wrote: So whats happening is they are rejecting otherwise qualified people bc you guys are all alike: White/Male/UF undergrad/Political Science Major. Yes you may have a 3.8 and a 162 but you offer no diversity or different perspective.
As a white/female/UF undergrad/History major, I have to say, UF's lack of diversity is definitely a bit of a turn-off for me. (Well, that and the fact that I don't want to live in Florida for the rest of my life.) I've visited the campus a few times, sat in on a class, and spoken with a few UF law students and I'm always kind of stunned to see that everyone is so much alike (and once again I say this a white, spoiled, UF CLAS graduate). I didn't sit in on a class and haven't been to the campus this year, so it's refreshing to hear that things are getting better.

This is totally just my opinion, but I think there will be a surprising amount of movement on the waitlist this year. I think there are a lot of folks who are weighing UF vs. higher ranked schools because of the amount of debt and the economy is scaring the bejeezus out of all of us and we're paralyzed by fear.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mighty Boom

New

Post by Mighty Boom » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:53 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
Mighty Boom, where do you live? I live in Gville, and was a DIT on 3/24, just like you, and I still haven't gotten my decision yet.... Not really sure why it is taking so freaking long.

Tally. Go noles.

hopeforthebest

New

Post by hopeforthebest » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Got my rejection letter today. Not really all that upset about it, since I've been trying to escape Florida since I was in high school, and I don't want to practice law in the state of FL anyways.

I'm going miss Gator football this fall, though. :(

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:57 pm

Billy Donovan just resigned to take the same position at Kentucky....I gues he's pissed about this years admission cycle as well :D

abraun5

New

Post by abraun5 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:31 pm

flhealth wrote:Billy Donovan just resigned to take the same position at Kentucky....I gues he's pissed about this years admission cycle as well :D

Moments after Kentucky fired coach Billy Gillispie, Donovan, through a statement released by Florida sports information, said: "In response to the rumors circulating about my interest in other jobs, I wanted to address this as quickly as possible. I am committed to the University of Florida and look forward to continuing to build our program here."

That is from the Gainesville Sun...Billy is NOT leaving

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”