In at Miami! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
coolkatz321

Bronze

Re: In at Miami!

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun May 31, 2009 9:38 am

nightlight wrote:
tknlacrosse wrote:On my tour a couple weeks ago they said they may have a class of 450-500 instead of 400 because of the response.
...and the student-faculty ratio goes back down the tubes.
I thought it was already absurd, like 19:1? Besides, according to the LSAC guide, their class last year was 489 students. Maybe this will prompt them to up their selectivity for next year.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Sun May 31, 2009 7:55 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
nightlight wrote:
tknlacrosse wrote:On my tour a couple weeks ago they said they may have a class of 450-500 instead of 400 because of the response.
I thought it was already absurd, like 19:1? Besides, according to the LSAC guide, their class last year was 489 students. Maybe this will prompt them to up their selectivity for next year.

based on these past rankings, it's 16.6 for student ratio

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:17 pm

midrangejumper wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
nightlight wrote:

That's a huge difference, they must be cutting back? Or, adding more faculty...

screamandyell

New

Post by screamandyell » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:22 am

I don't thing the student/faculty ration is a big deal. Out of 100 it is weighted at 3% so any change will not affect the ratings as much.

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:09 am

Is the class really going to be 450 or more?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:36 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:

That's a huge difference, they must be cutting back? Or, adding more faculty...

they added like 5 or 6 more professors, and i guess plan on adding more for next fall too...which is good to hear

hotshotdre

New

Post by hotshotdre » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:39 pm

Does anyone know how to withdraw from Miami and get your refund back? Where do I have to do it? Thanks for the help. Good luck to those on the WL.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:09 am

Just send them an email saying you wish to withdraw, and that whatever is remaining of the refund should be mailed to X address. At least I imagine that's how you would do it. That's what I've done with the schools I withdrew from.

Z'Barron

New

Post by Z'Barron » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:13 am

tarheels19 wrote:that was me who posted it.. miami is severely overdesposited and have not went to the WL since the deposits were due.. i would be shocked if there is any significant WL movement especially before the end of June... that being said, I am still staying on the WL and keeping my fingers crossed
They offered me a full scholarship and I turned them down. Then they wrote me again and asked me to reapply for next year if I don't go this year. I don't know about Miami. I don't know if I could study there. I think it's a much better school than USNWR gives it credit for being.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

screamandyell

New

Post by screamandyell » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:35 am

Just got an email that if i withdraw now they'll give me a full deposit back (and not pro-rated) hoping to finalize the class sections.
I hope that's good news for those on the WLs.

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:30 pm

To any females headed to miami that are not familiar with the area:

Join DailyCandy Miami! You'll get a daily e-mail about kitschy boutiques, new restaurants, and weekend events in greater miami. It's a great way to get yourself acquainted with all that miami has to offer.

http://www.dailycandy.com/miami/

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:45 am

I was just down in Miami last week and found an apartment near campus; in a nice part of South Miami. I bought a Garmin GPS for about $130 before I left, and it was worth its weight in gold!! I highly recommend a GPS to anyone who is unfamiliar with the area. Good luck to everyone who is getting ready to make the move.

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:27 am

mrman17 wrote:I was just down in Miami last week and found an apartment near campus; in a nice part of South Miami. I bought a Garmin GPS for about $130 before I left, and it was worth its weight in gold!! I highly recommend a GPS to anyone who is unfamiliar with the area. Good luck to everyone who is getting ready to make the move.
Haha, the garmin is a lifesaver down here. What apartment complex did you go with? I'll probably end up near the dadeland mall/dadeland station, about an 8-10 min drive to campus. If that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

screamandyell

New

Post by screamandyell » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:53 am

can any locals advise me against renting a place near viscaya metro? i won't be bringing my car down so wanted to stay close to metro/ direct bus to campus

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:33 am

nightlight wrote:
mrman17 wrote:I was just down in Miami last week and found an apartment near campus; in a nice part of South Miami. I bought a Garmin GPS for about $130 before I left, and it was worth its weight in gold!! I highly recommend a GPS to anyone who is unfamiliar with the area. Good luck to everyone who is getting ready to make the move.
Haha, the garmin is a lifesaver down here. What apartment complex did you go with? I'll probably end up near the dadeland mall/dadeland station, about an 8-10 min drive to campus. If that.
I'm going with the "Shari Gardens" complex. It's the cheapest in the area, in a nice neighborhood, and it's within walking distance (though I think I'll take the metro-rail).

eddieg803

New

Post by eddieg803 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:15 pm

Guys, trust me, you don't want to live in Miami without a car. Do whatever you can to make sure you have a car. The metro is awful and goes nowhere useful aside from the UM stop. Also, the UM metro stop is completely on the opposite side of campus from the law school. It's a real pain in the ass. Especially during the rainy season, during which sudden torrential downpours occur without warning almost daily.

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:56 am

eddieg803 wrote:Guys, trust me, you don't want to live in Miami without a car. Do whatever you can to make sure you have a car. The metro is awful and goes nowhere useful aside from the UM stop. Also, the UM metro stop is completely on the opposite side of campus from the law school. It's a real pain in the ass. Especially during the rainy season, during which sudden torrential downpours occur without warning almost daily.
Yeah, I've lived in the tropics before (in the Philippines), and monsoons are no picnic. My wife will have the car, but we'll be living very close to the South Miami metro station. I plan on getting a good umbrella, and wrapping my textbooks/laptop in plastic bags. A little walking from the UM stop to the law school will be good exercise.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:06 pm

eddieg803 wrote:Guys, trust me, you don't want to live in Miami without a car. Do whatever you can to make sure you have a car. The metro is awful and goes nowhere useful aside from the UM stop. Also, the UM metro stop is completely on the opposite side of campus from the law school. It's a real pain in the ass. Especially during the rainy season, during which sudden torrential downpours occur without warning almost daily.
I went to Miami undergrad and agree. Managed to survive the first year, but I lived in the dorms. The metro is NOT a good means of transportation at all and it's extremely limited in where it has service to (plus, you will have a pretty good walk from the metro stop by the school to the Law School; it isn't particularly close or convenient).

screamandyell

New

Post by screamandyell » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:15 pm

dammit. the car in may case is almost out of the question.
i guess i'm looking for a room in an apartment right next to school.. is anyone is looking for a roommate?!

miamihope1

New

Post by miamihope1 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:08 pm

mrman17 wrote:
Yeah, I've lived in the tropics before (in the Philippines), and monsoons are no picnic. My wife will have the car, but we'll be living very close to the South Miami metro station. I plan on getting a good umbrella, and wrapping my textbooks/laptop in plastic bags. A little walking from the UM stop to the law school will be good exercise.

This is not true at all. Living in Miami without a car is next to impossible. I visited on May 22 at the coral gables inn. That is on US1. Maybe 10 tens minutes from the campus. It was a terrrible 3 days. I was sweating like Kevin Garnett the first day i walked.My clothes were 100 percent wet like i jumped into a pool. Fell a sleep because i was so tired.

Day 2 was my visit. It was nice walking. On my way back there was a downpour. I had to protect my expensive headphones and walk to the CVS near by until it stopped.

On day 3 i was very hungry at night and walked to dennys near the school. 3 mexican bloods were looking at me funny. I had to shake them and walk behind the bushes.

I planned on not taking my car. I was a 100 percent convinced you need a car. There was no metro buses like we have here in Maryland/DC. No grocery store near by the campus ( on US1)

The 3 days sucked.

It had me thinking twice about going to Miami. But then i said with a car it would have been totally different.

miamihope1

New

Post by miamihope1 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:15 pm

Where are people going to live? I turned down the valencia. I wanted to live closer to the campus. I got a place near the starbucks for 750 per month. I am going there blind.Its on turwin street or something like that. Has anyone seen that apartment complex?

I thought the apartment complex like valencia and red common were a useless. I don't need a gym or cafe. You can workout at the University of Miami wellness center.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:19 pm

miamihope1 wrote:
mrman17 wrote:

This is not true at all. Living in Miami without a car is next to impossible. I visited on May 22 at the coral gables inn. That is on US1. Maybe 10 tens minutes from the campus. It was a terrrible 3 days. I was sweating like Kevin Garnett the first day i walked.My clothes were 100 percent wet like i jumped into a pool. Fell a sleep because i was so tired.

Day 2 was my visit. It was nice walking. On my way back there was a downpour. I had to protect my expensive headphones and walk to the CVS near by until it stopped.

On day 3 i was very hungry at night and walked to dennys near the school. 3 mexican bloods were looking at me funny. I had to shake them and walk behind the bushes.

I planned on not taking my car. I was a 100 percent convinced you need a car. There was no metro buses like we have here in Maryland/DC. No grocery store near by the campus ( on US1)

The 3 days sucked.

It had me thinking twice about going to Miami. But then i said with a car it would have been totally different.
Of course it's way better to have a car in Miami, but it's not necessary to commute by car if you live close to a metro-rail line, or only ten minutes away from campus. A ten minute walk is nothing- man evolved legs that are capable of walking for much longer than ten minutes. Also, you need to remember to dress differently in the tropics (i.e. loose clothing, canvas shoes instead of leather, etc.).

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:01 am

Anyone living in Red Road Commons? It looks pretty sweet. Kind of pricey for single 1BRs, but 2BRs are reasonable.

miamihope1

New

Post by miamihope1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:05 pm

mrman17 wrote:
miamihope1 wrote:
mrman17 wrote:

The 3 days sucked.

Of course it's way better to have a car in Miami, but it's not necessary to commute by car if you live close to a metro-rail line, or only ten minutes away from campus. A ten minute walk is nothing- man evolved legs that are capable of walking for much longer than ten minutes. Also, you need to remember to dress differently in the tropics (i.e. loose clothing, canvas shoes instead of leather, etc.).

Jael the advisor said students come from NY and hate Miami because they don't have a car. The train system is not working for them.
Last edited by miamihope1 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eddieg803

New

Post by eddieg803 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:15 pm

kbigs wrote:Anyone living in Red Road Commons? It looks pretty sweet. Kind of pricey for single 1BRs, but 2BRs are reasonable.
Red Road Commons is gonna be nice, but not sure if I'd advise it for grad students. It's gonna be full of loud, rambunctious undergrads, so you might get a little frustrated with the noise. I'd recommend something like the Cloisters, which is right down Red Road and much smaller/nicer. Or if you don't mind being two miles or so from campus, there are some good places on Ludlam Rd (67th Ave). I'd recommend Ludlam Point, Gables Court, Oasis, or even Sunwood if you can find one of those units for rent. (Sunwood is condos, not apts, but they're always being rented out. And it's quiet, which is nice.)

I'm a big fan of the Ludlam area because it's really close to campus but far enough away that you don't feel stuck in the UM bubble. Also, there's a shopping center with CVS, Winn-Dixie and a liquor store right at the corner of Ludlam and Bird. It's super convenient.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”