In at Miami! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
2009 Prospective

Bronze

Re: In at Miami!

Post by 2009 Prospective » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:02 pm

I'm thinking of emailing the asst dean of admissions (who sent my letter) to let him know I can fly down in the next few weeks to set up an interview/hand deliver a LOCI. Thoughts on this strategy?
I'm not sure that the very small boost you would get in showing up in person would be worth the cost of the flight. If you're absolutely dying to go there though, it would really show your interest I suppose. I'm just not sure it would really be worth it.

Good luck nonetheless.

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:05 pm

kbigs wrote:
js87 wrote:Has anyone begun looking for housing? Anyone else considering the Brickell/downtown area?
I'm considering Brickell. Prices look high on craigslist, despite the campus tour guide saying it was pretty cheap. Are you planning on using a realtor? I feel it might be worth it.
I've found some decent places with 1br/1bath for around $650, but most are further away from campus. I'm thinking about buying a cheap condo (thanks to the foreclosure crisis) that would allow me to have a lower monthly payment. We'll see. I really want to go on the tour of neighborhoods to give me a better idea of where I should live.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:09 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:
I'm thinking of emailing the asst dean of admissions (who sent my letter) to let him know I can fly down in the next few weeks to set up an interview/hand deliver a LOCI. Thoughts on this strategy?
I'm not sure that the very small boost you would get in showing up in person would be worth the cost of the flight. If you're absolutely dying to go there though, it would really show your interest I suppose. I'm just not sure it would really be worth it.

Good luck nonetheless.
Thanks for the response. I would need to visit the school regardless, so I could kill two birds with one stone and really show my interest, but you're right - if I don't get in, it would be a waste of money. I really would like to stand out, though.

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:01 pm

mrman17 wrote:
kbigs wrote:
js87 wrote:Has anyone begun looking for housing? Anyone else considering the Brickell/downtown area?
I'm considering Brickell. Prices look high on craigslist, despite the campus tour guide saying it was pretty cheap. Are you planning on using a realtor? I feel it might be worth it.
I've found some decent places with 1br/1bath for around $650, but most are further away from campus. I'm thinking about buying a cheap condo (thanks to the foreclosure crisis) that would allow me to have a lower monthly payment. We'll see. I really want to go on the tour of neighborhoods to give me a better idea of where I should live.
Really? 1brs/1bath in Brickell for $650? Wow, that seems like a great deal. Where did you find them, if you don't mind me asking? If I had $ for a down payment, I'd probably purchase a condo as well. Now would be the time to buy.

bacan

New

Post by bacan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:10 pm

isn't brickell the most expensive place to live in miami?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:32 pm

kbigs wrote:
mrman17 wrote:
kbigs wrote:
Really? 1brs/1bath in Brickell for $650? Wow, that seems like a great deal. Where did you find them, if you don't mind me asking? If I had $ for a down payment, I'd probably purchase a condo as well. Now would be the time to buy.
I don't remember how many of those cheaper apartments were in Brikell. I've just been checking a number of different sites: craigslist, rent.com, apartments.com, yahoo real estate, Miami Herald, etc. I've really just been searching all over the web. Sorry I don't have any better information for you.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:34 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:

Good luck nonetheless.
Thanks for the response. I would need to visit the school regardless, so I could kill two birds with one stone and really show my interest, but you're right - if I don't get in, it would be a waste of money. I really would like to stand out, though.
Good luck. It certainly would be better than doing nothing at all so if you think it's worth the chance, go for it. As long as you go in with the expectation that it might not amount to anything (only to be pleasantly surprised hopefully).

Edge427

New

Post by Edge427 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:51 pm

Yes and no. It used to be the most expensive, but the housing boom or whatever you want to call it REALLY dropped prices. It's a great time to buy those condos and hold onto them for 3-4 years.

One thing is to make sure you find out what the "maintenance fees" are in those buildings. A lot of the buildings in downtown miami are only 1/3 or 1/2 occupied, so when the housing crisisthingamajig hit, management increased the maintenance fees substantially.

rcsbball11

New

Post by rcsbball11 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:05 pm

bacan wrote:isn't brickell the most expensive place to live in miami?
Yes it is definitely not amongst the cheapest. Everyone I have known who have lived there have paid $1300/1br for rent, but who knows maybe you can find a good deal nowadays. The cheapest areas to live are Kendall & South Miami and the most expensive are Brickell, Downtown, and South Beach and in the middle/upper price range are Coconut Grove and Coral Gables.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:04 pm

Yes, Brickell is somewhat expensive, but prices are cheap now. There's so much inventory; buildings open for 2-3 years are still only 50% occupied. I've been looking at some foreclosed 1 bedroom apartments in the mid 150s, and some foreclosed/short sale 2 bedrooms in the high 100's to low 200's. I'm from South Florida, and compared to my area, that's cheap. However, like someone said, the maintenance fees can be outrageous in some of the buildings with 30% occupancy ($700+ a month, wow). I Of course it's all relative. It'd probably be expensive in Oklahoma :)

The benefit of Brickell is being able to take the metromover/metrorail (mass transit train, elevated subway) almost directly from your apartment to school. Miami traffic is terrible, and the law school parking lot is not great.

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:11 pm

Anyone else doing the alumni online chat thing at 8:00 p.m. EST?

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:16 pm

holmesNYC wrote:Anyone else doing the alumni online chat thing at 8:00 p.m. EST?
i'm thurrr.

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:51 am

What did those of you in the chat think? Glean any new, useful info?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:13 pm

ACCEPTED AT UM!!!!!!! First acceptance feels great!!

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:47 pm

kbigs wrote:What did those of you in the chat think? Glean any new, useful info?
Eh. I felt like a lot of the information was very general. For the most part, I could have been in the chat for any school, but that may have been a result of some of the general questions that were being asked. I had a specific question, also asked by another admitted student, that remained unanswered. I also asked about the difficulty in finding work in NY. Unfortunately, there were no alumni present who are currently practicing in NY. There was that one guy who worked in NY about 15-20 years ago and is now overseas. Most of the alumni indicated that it wasn't hard for them to find work outside of FL, namely in DC and Boston. I'm not discounting that information, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt as the experiences of these very involved alumni may not be representative of the majority. As with any more regional school, I think that class rank and ability to network will play a big factor in being able relocate easily.

If I wanted to do tax law or public interest, I might have found the chat more beneficial. Perhaps the most useful information for me was about housing. Oh, and everyone seemed to rave about the litigation skills program. That was good to hear.

Thoughts from anyone else?

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:09 pm

holmesNYC wrote:I had a specific question, also asked by another admitted student, that remained unanswered.
Do you mind sharing what that question was..? I was going to go to the chat, but I figured the answers you'd get were exactly the answers I could have predicted getting... Basically what someone considering attending would want to hear. I am leaning toward Miami, however, waiting for my cycle to finish up first.
holmesNYC wrote:ability to network will play a big factor in being able relocate easily..
I think this is especially important, moreso down the road than right after graduation. I don't think people weigh this heavily enough when talking about prospects for given schools.

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Is anyone going to Law day on the 27th?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:54 pm

If you are offered a scholarship is it in the admissions packet or sent later?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:21 pm

TKM wrote:If you are offered a scholarship is it in the admissions packet or sent later?
Sorry buddy. Happened to me as well.

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:48 pm

swheat wrote:
TKM wrote:If you are offered a scholarship is it in the admissions packet or sent later?
I haven't received my packet yet.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:35 pm

TKM wrote:
swheat wrote:
I haven't received my packet yet.
I think it's with the acceptance. I didn't get anything. When did you apply? If you applied after Jan 20, I am thinking they probably will use the same excuse with you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snaps

New

Post by snaps » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:37 pm

from what i understand, they send scholarship info after sending the acceptance packet.

but i didn't get a scholarship...

i'll be down there for the ASD. looking forward to it!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:38 pm

I got mine separately 2 weeks after my acceptance and I think its the same for everyone. However this late in the process I don't know if they are giving out much more (if any) in terms of scholarship. Hope this helps

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Has anyone tried scholarship negotiation with Miami?

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:58 am

TKM wrote:Is anyone going to Law day on the 27th?
I had no plans on it, but now that I'm racking up waitlists left and right and florida is dragging their feet, unless I hear something this week, ya, probably gonna head down there next friday and check it out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”