In at Miami! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flhealth

Bronze

Re: In at Miami!

Post by flhealth » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:54 pm

kbigs wrote:From my recent visit. Not much, but hope it helps.

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
is it four stories or three stories?

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:03 pm

I'm 90% sure it was three.

AP33

New

Post by AP33 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:24 am

flhealth wrote:
kbigs wrote:From my recent visit. Not much, but hope it helps.

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
is it four stories or three stories?
It's three. That tall building you see in the back is the Richter Library.

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:06 am

Thanks! It's really as pretty and scenic as it is shown online! Would it be stupid to make a decision without visiting. There is NO way I can visit before the deposit deadline, and I've been to UGA to visit twice (I'm a GA res). I'm waiting to get my financial aid package in the mail and if I qualify for the grad plus loan there's a VERY good chance I'll pick Miami over UGA.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:20 am

Wow, I'm surprised you'd take Miami over UGA in-state. UGA in-state seems like one of the better deals out there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:30 am

2009 Prospective wrote:Wow, I'm surprised you'd take Miami over UGA in-state. UGA in-state seems like one of the better deals out there.
With the scholarship to Miami it's only roughly 5K more than UGA & I'm trying to pick the best fit for me. I know it sounds crazy but I told myself I wasn't going to be a rankings whore going into this lol

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:09 am

bella16 wrote:Thanks! It's really as pretty and scenic as it is shown online! Would it be stupid to make a decision without visiting. There is NO way I can visit before the deposit deadline, and I've been to UGA to visit twice (I'm a GA res). I'm waiting to get my financial aid package in the mail and if I qualify for the grad plus loan there's a VERY good chance I'll pick Miami over UGA.
seriously?.....seriously?....wow!!!....if these are the two you are picking from i would definitely visit UM before deciding, I dont think you would be dumb to pick UM over UGA (though I wouldn't), but I do think it would be EXTREMELY dumb to pick UM over UGA without visiting

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:24 am

flhealth wrote:
bella16 wrote:Thanks! It's really as pretty and scenic as it is shown online! Would it be stupid to make a decision without visiting. There is NO way I can visit before the deposit deadline, and I've been to UGA to visit twice (I'm a GA res). I'm waiting to get my financial aid package in the mail and if I qualify for the grad plus loan there's a VERY good chance I'll pick Miami over UGA.
seriously?.....seriously?....wow!!!....if these are the two you are picking from i would definitely visit UM before deciding, I dont think you would be dumb to pick UM over UGA (though I wouldn't), but I do think it would be EXTREMELY dumb to pick UM over UGA without visiting
Not dumb, just not feasible at this point. Strapped for cash and Miami won't pay for the visit. Twelve-Fourteen hour drive down there in the Jetta? Not sure it would make it lol

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:28 am

bella16 wrote:
flhealth wrote:
Not dumb, just not feasible at this point. Strapped for cash and Miami won't pay for the visit. Twelve-Fourteen hour drive down there in the Jetta? Not sure it would make it lol

It's really not that bad of a drive. I did it from Greensboro, NC in a 97 mazda 626. Just take 95 the whole way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:29 am

bella16 wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:Wow, I'm surprised you'd take Miami over UGA in-state. UGA in-state seems like one of the better deals out there.
With the scholarship to Miami it's only roughly 5K more than UGA & I'm trying to pick the best fit for me. I know it sounds crazy but I told myself I wasn't going to be a rankings whore going into this lol
What is it about Miami that attracts you so much, if you don't mind me asking? Paying more for a school that is fifty spots below in the rankings is certainly something to mull over. Do you really, really, really want to practice in South Florida (since that's probably where you'll end up if you go to UM)?

edit: I don't think that picking a school that is fifty spots in the rankings higher than another one will make you a "rankings whore."

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:10 pm

TheNerdProject wrote:
bella16 wrote:
What is it about Miami that attracts you so much, if you don't mind me asking? Paying more for a school that is fifty spots below in the rankings is certainly something to mull over. Do you really, really, really want to practice in South Florida (since that's probably where you'll end up if you go to UM)?

edit: I don't think that picking a school that is fifty spots in the rankings higher than another one will make you a "rankings whore."
Lol no, I'd only be going to UGA b/c of its rank, thus feeding into rankings. I've been in GA for a while *coughs* and really, really, really, want to get out of this whole "southernness". Yes, Miami is in the south, but it's Miami. Having visited UGA twice & yes I liked it, I'm just thinking somewhere else may or may not be a better environment for me :) . Oh, and I'm a military brat so I have no preference as to where I practice as long as it's a mid to large size city. I've lived all over and would like to get back to Cali (if they don't go bankrupt & completely fall under), but I don't think Miami or UGA is gonna get me there considering they are both regional schools ya know?

Blakkout

New

Post by Blakkout » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:32 pm

bella16 wrote:
TheNerdProject wrote:
bella16 wrote:

Lol no, I'd only be going to UGA b/c of its rank, thus feeding into rankings. I've been in GA for a while *coughs* and really, really, really, want to get out of this whole "southernness". Yes, Miami is in the south, but it's Miami. Having visited UGA twice & yes I liked it, I'm just thinking somewhere else may or may not be a better environment for me :) . Oh, and I'm a military brat so I have no preference as to where I practice as long as it's a mid to large size city. I've lived all over and would like to get back to Cali (if they don't go bankrupt & completely fall under), but I don't think Miami or UGA is gonna get me there considering they are both regional schools ya know?

Wow. And I thought I was crazy for picking UGA or CU over Minnesota.

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Blakkout wrote:

Well, I haven't made up my mind yet, but I guess I'll just be crazy if that's what I decide to do. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:59 pm

bella16 wrote:
Blakkout wrote:

Well, I haven't made up my mind yet, but I guess I'll just be crazy if that's what I decide to do. :)
That doesn't seem too crazy to me... they're both regional for the most part, about the same price with you scholarship.. seems reasonable if you want a job in Florida.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:56 am

so how many of you lucky son of'a guns are going to ASW? :P

kellbell

New

Post by kellbell » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:58 am

midrangejumper wrote:so how many of you lucky son of'a guns are going to ASW? :P
I may go, depending on who I hear from this week (so far, none). I'm trying to hold out as long as possible from paying that $500 deposit...

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:03 am

kellbell wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:so how many of you lucky son of'a guns are going to ASW? :P
I may go, depending on who I hear from this week (so far, none). I'm trying to hold out as long as possible from paying that $500 deposit...
i opened the acceptance packet cause i didn't think they wnated that much right away and it says in it $300, $100 being non-refundable. at least they're willing to give you SOME $ back based on when you say you dont wana go there IF that does happen.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:08 am

I'm definitely going to be at ASW. Have a nice little 4 day vacation planned off of it.

kellbell

New

Post by kellbell » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:56 am

midrangejumper wrote:
kellbell wrote:
i opened the acceptance packet cause i didn't think they wnated that much right away and it says in it $300, $100 being non-refundable. at least they're willing to give you SOME $ back based on when you say you dont wana go there IF that does happen.
WOW, thanks for the heads up! Maybe I'm getting that confused with another school (maybe Penn State?). I'll check it out today.

I did look up flights last night from Raleigh, and they were shockingly cheap!! So I'll probably be there. Look forward to meeting everyone.

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Anyone going to the U Miami wine and cheese reception 3/17/09 at Greenberg & Traurig in NYC?

belligerentfuture

New

Post by belligerentfuture » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:41 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:

No, not crazy. I live in Minneapolis right now, east coast transplant. So yes, it is THAT cold. For MONTHS. I mean freeze your face off immediately after walking outside kind of cold...anyone considering going to UMN *needs* to visit Minneapolis in the winter and make sure they are up for it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

belligerentfuture

New

Post by belligerentfuture » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Oh, and, withdrawn, so there's a spot for you WLers

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:55 pm

kbigs wrote:Anyone going to the U Miami wine and cheese reception 3/17/09 at Greenberg & Traurig in NYC?
I sure wish they'd have a wine and cheese reception in Atlanta!

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:04 pm

belligerentfuture wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:

No, not crazy. I live in Minneapolis right now, east coast transplant. So yes, it is THAT cold. For MONTHS. I mean freeze your face off immediately after walking outside kind of cold...anyone considering going to UMN *needs* to visit Minneapolis in the winter and make sure they are up for it.
Wimp.

LLKOOLK1

New

Post by LLKOOLK1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:17 am

Has anyone been rejected via this status checker?...Im assuming that a rejection would arrive by simple snail mail, so im stuck checking this thing basically just hoping it says your admitted until, well, when the mail comes, and im not!?...weak

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”