Rejected by Belmont... huge offers from way higher ranking schools? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cav900

New

Rejected by Belmont... huge offers from way higher ranking schools?

Post by cav900 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:13 pm

I have scholarship offers for 85% and 80% tuition at Nebraska and Texas A&M but was rejected by.... Belmont today. My LSAT was 164, which I believe is roughly 10 points higher than their median. Low GPA (2.9) but I had undiagnosed ADD and am 9 years removed from undergrad.

Is Belmont trying to protect their yield? I'm confused...

Is it possible that I indicated I was a former mob boss on only one application...

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Rejected by Belmont... huge offers from way higher ranking schools?

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:55 pm

Wouldn't be too concerned. Where do you want to practice? Did you send an app to UTk? UTk places better in Nashville than Belmont tbh. I'm from the area and had friends go to Belmont, it isn't a good choice for most folks unless you've gotten in with a fullride, or darn near close. Were you waitlisted or rejected? Either way, maybe your unique app scared them off a bit (they are really pushing to build up and compete with UTk; really, atm they are like the U of Memphis but in Nashville). Maybe they are trying to raise their GPA median, who knows. I wouldn't be too concerned. If you really want to practice in Nashville, or TN, UTk is the way to go (unless you're trying to get Memphis, in which case I'd say UTk, U of M, and Ole Miss are all fairly comparable). Don't know enough about A&M law, I think for a great scholly it is probs fine if you're going to practice in Texas; U of N is great if you're going to stay and practice in Nebraska, especially at that price point.

cav900

New

Post by cav900 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:44 pm

Hey thanks for the reply. I certainly don't have my heart set on Nashville. I was moreso just shocked. I guess I never considered the idea that they're trying to raise their median GPA. All of these factors like yield percentage and schools worrying about their own stats is only several days old to me. I guess if they made me an offer they figured I wouldn't attend and if I did I would hurt their GPA average anyway... who knows.

nilescrane

New

Post by nilescrane » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:05 pm

Sounds like yield protection. I had the same experience, where the only school I was rejected from was significantly lower in ranking than all the other ones. They figured I wouldn't actually go there. I mean, they were right!

cav900

New

Post by cav900 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:59 pm

Huh... interesting. Maybe this explains my being waitlisted at University of South Carolina as well. :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:32 pm

You are kinda all over the place with your apps. Are you just applying to a bunch of T2s in the south and midwest? If you go to USC (Carolina), you won't be practicing in Nashville, you'll be in Greenville or something. If you go to Belmont, you'll be in Nashville or Murfreesboro. Nebraska will get you Nebraska. These places aren't really portable (unless you've already got a job lined up and you're just looking for the best deal). Even T1 schools aren't really "regional" except for a few. Where do you want to practice? If you want Texas, apply to SMU, A&M, U of H, UT and see how it goes. Don't just toss apps to Northeastern or BYU just because. You've gotta really think about where you want to be for your career, certainly the start of it. You can't go to U of Minn and expect to be in California, Arizona or Colorado. Really only the T14/20 are portable. What are your career goals and where do you plan on living? That should help you limit down where to apply, look, and pick.

cav900

New

Post by cav900 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:47 am

Oh dude.. I was a splitter. I applied everywhere that wasn't California or the Pac. Northwest. Maybe I'm naïve, but I don't care much where I practice. Texas sounds nice though.

TTTTorbust

New

Post by TTTTorbust » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:28 pm

cav900 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:47 am
Oh dude.. I was a splitter. I applied everywhere that wasn't California or the Pac. Northwest. Maybe I'm naïve, but I don't care much where I practice. Texas sounds nice though.
You are naïve, at least with regard to this decision. You should pick a market to target unless you're going to a school that can place outside of its geographic footprint. Where do you want to live?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”