UNC Waitlist with good scores???? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hayeskelseysue

New

UNC Waitlist with good scores????

Post by hayeskelseysue » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:01 pm

I just got my waitlist notification for UNC law, and I'm both surprised and crushed.

My GPA is well above the median. I have a 3.75, Magna Cum Laude, from a top 20 school. My LSAT is right at their median of 161. I was a campus leader and served as VP for Pi Sigma Alpha (honors society).

I have great work experience. I spent a few years in the Senate, worked on a swing-vote Senator's judiciary team throughout a SCOTUS nomination, and I now work as a Special at the Treasury. I absolutely want to go to UNC, and I really thought I was a shoe-in. Does anyone have advice? I'm really reeling.

Thanks in advance.

skg13

New

Re: UNC Waitlist with good scores????

Post by skg13 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:59 pm

In the same boat. 167 LSAT, 4.0 and work experience in U.S. senate, state/local government, big 4 public accounting, and investment banking firm. Received a waitlist email notification email today. My application was complete as of Dec. 12.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:24 am

Mods: looks like skg and koglesby are duplicate accounts?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:24 am

skg13 wrote:In the same boat. 167 LSAT, 4.0 and work experience in U.S. senate, state/local government, big 4 public accounting, and investment banking firm. Received a waitlist email notification email today. My application was complete as of Dec. 12.
This is not the same as the OP's situation. You're suffering from yield protection (standard practice of waitlisting overqualified students rather than admitting them and hurting the school's numbers when they take a better offer). The real question for you is why you would target UNC with numbers that make you competitive at the lower T14.

The OP has a median LSAT and an above-median GPA, which does not guarantee admission. Waitlist isn't a surprising result, and it can be fixed by retaking the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”