Application on "hold"? What does this mean? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pgv7

New

Application on "hold"? What does this mean?

Post by pgv7 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:17 am

Can someone help me understand what this means? I've received an email saying my initial review has been completed and the committee is not ready to make a decision and that a decision will be made sometime in the spring. Is this different from being on the waitlist? Should I consider writing a LOCI? Does anyone have any experience with this?

QContinuum

Re: Application on "hold"? What does this mean?

Post by QContinuum » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:52 pm

You can write a LOCI. If it's compelling, it may help.

It really just means they reviewed your application but are on the fence. On balance, your application was probably a hair stronger than those they instantly waitlisted, but not quite strong enough to trigger an instant acceptance. They want to take a first pass through the rest of the applications first and see how many more bodies they need before they start deciding how to dispose of the "held" applications. At that point they'll probably accept some and formally waitlist the rest. Anyone on the waitlist (whether now or waitlisted from the "hold" pile) won't receive a final acceptance/rejection until after 4/15, possibly months after.

pgv7

New

Re: Application on "hold"? What does this mean?

Post by pgv7 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:12 pm

QContinuum wrote:You can write a LOCI. If it's compelling, it may help.

It really just means they reviewed your application but are on the fence. On balance, your application was probably a hair stronger than those they instantly waitlisted, but not quite strong enough to trigger an instant acceptance. They want to take a first pass through the rest of the applications first and see how many more bodies they need before they start deciding how to dispose of the "held" applications. At that point they'll probably accept some and formally waitlist the rest. Anyone on the waitlist (whether now or waitlisted from the "hold" pile) won't receive a final acceptance/rejection until after 4/15, possibly months after.

Thanks for the reply! I'm hearing a lot of people got this same letter from the school in mention - a lot of strong numbers for said school. Not getting too discouraged yet. Going to schedule a visit and see what I can do to help myself!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”