Applying to Texas in February-3.85/164 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Tex557

New

Applying to Texas in February-3.85/164

Post by Tex557 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:04 am

Anyone have any experiences applying to Texas that late? Thanks

QContinuum

Re: Applying to Texas in February-3.85/164

Post by QContinuum » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:36 pm

The question is why you would want to apply to UT in February? Generally, applying in February hurts your chances significantly. If it's impossible to apply before February for whatever reason, it's much better for acceptance odds and scholarship consideration to instead apply early the next cycle.

wishywashy

New

Post by wishywashy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:36 am

Respectful counterpoint to the above:

If you wait one more year to enroll then you lose 1 year of wages as you will start working a year later than if you applied this cycle. The question then is how much scholarship do you expect to get from waiting? If it is likely less than 1 year of salary (use whatever the median student gets post-UT Law graduation) then why wait?

If there are other schools in the mix for you (which there likely are) then you might want to run a similar analyses there. My point is to make sure that waiting until the next cycle is really worth it. Opportunity cost is a real thing and a year is a long time to wait, especially if your undergrad loans eat up all their 6 months grace period and you go into repayment on those. Be sure to account for any wages you can realistically earn during the year you wait until next application cycle.

wishywashy

New

Post by wishywashy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:16 am

Also, don't forget to consider what a ding this year from applying late might do to your app next year at the same school. I have zero idea if a rejection this year due to applying late would matter to the admission committee next year (presumably the committee would know if it was a rejection due to lack of slots from late application but that is just a guess). My comments from before only went to the scholarship vs opportunity cost question and that is only half the problem.

Either way, good luck! UT is a great school!

JS623

New

Post by JS623 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:29 pm

I was admitted to Texas after applying in late January with a 3.8 and 170. I received above a 95% scholarship after negotiations, which I submitted my renegotiation form on the deadline to do so.

Now, with that being said, would I recommend this? Absolutely not. I only did it because I neglected to adequately look into how the rolling admissions worked for law schools and how far in advance you had to register and study for the LSAT. I was working full time, and I dropped the ball. If you can avoid this, I would do so. Even if that means applying and then updating with a new score received at a later date or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”