Why Do I Keep Getting Waitlisted From Safeties? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rogeliolimon

New

Why Do I Keep Getting Waitlisted From Safeties?

Post by rogeliolimon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:50 am

So far, out of the twelve schools I applied to, I have heard back from two--one target (well above top 25th percentile GPA and one point under median LSAT) and one safety (at both top 75th percentiles). I have been wait-listed at both.
(1). Why is this happening?
(2). Should I be worried?
(3). Can I call the admissions office to find out if there is something wrong with my application?
I am scared there is a red flag on my application. If there is, I would like to know so that I can fix the applications I sent to other schools.

PS. I have a ton of legal internships, research positions, etc. on my resume and my personal statement was revised by multiple people.

dvlthndr

Bronze

Re: Why Do I Keep Getting Waitlisted From Safeties?

Post by dvlthndr » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:00 pm

I have no real statistics to support this, but my sense is that outcomes break down like this:
  • Under-qualified Candidate--> Rejection
    Marginal Candidate --> Waitlist/Rejection
    Good Fit --> Acceptance
    Above average --> Acceptance + Money
    Egregiously Overqualified --> Waitlist to protect yield (or acceptance + money if you show continued interest)
For the school where you were a borderline candidate (under median LSAT and GPA), the waitlist is a real waitlist. You might get in if slots open up, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up too much.

For the school where you are overqualified (above the 75% percentile in LSAT and GPA), they probably waitlisted you to protect their yield. For schools that are a little lower ranked, they assume you will go somewhere else. They would rather waitlist you as opposed to have an offer declined. If you wrote them a letter of continued interest, they would almost certainly accept you.

Anyway, there is no need for concern. There is a small chance that there was something horrendously wrong with you application (e.g., a recommender just totally bad-mouthing you), but it's much more likely that these schools weren't a great fit. No need to panic and start calling admissions offices.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:12 pm

Yeah, the 75th percentile one is probably yield protect. As for this, "one target (well above top 25th percentile GPA and one point under median LSAT)," that's not really the strongest application for that school - I would say that at/above both medians is more of a target. Doesn't mean you couldn't get in, but the waitlist isn't shocking.

rogeliolimon

New

Post by rogeliolimon » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:20 pm

Sorry—I meant to write that I’m “well above the top *75th* percentile of UGPAs.” The law school in question is GW and I have a 164 LSAT (one point under median) and 3.9 GPA (their top 75th percentile is 3.8). So I’m a strong splitter numerically—which is why I’m scared about typos on my app or rogue recommenders.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:20 pm

rogeliolimon wrote:my personal statement was revised by multiple people.
This usually makes personal statements worse, not better, FWIW.

Agree that you probably actually got waitlisted at GW by virtue of being below the LSAT median—I can't guarantee that's what's happening, but it's the most likely by far among the various possibilities—and that the "safety" probably intuited that you think of them that way and YP'd you.

Wouldn't get too worried yet, especially since we're dealing with a sample size of two (2).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JS623

New

Post by JS623 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:46 pm

I don't have particularly helpful advice here, but I thought I might commiserate. I applied a couple of years ago, and I also received a large number of wait lists. My admissions cycle turned into getting 95%+ plus scholarships at 3 schools where I was above 75%, and mostly wait listed or dinged from every other school, including ones where I was top 25% and bottom 25%. I received no acceptances from any school that I was an average candidate. I can't complain too much, however, because I accepted $$$$ to my top choice.

It'll work out! The LOCI sounds like a good strategy if there are any safeties that you would actually be genuinely interested in.

TTTTorbust

New

Post by TTTTorbust » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:16 am

rogeliolimon wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:20 pm
Sorry—I meant to write that I’m “well above the top *75th* percentile of UGPAs.” The law school in question is GW and I have a 164 LSAT (one point under median) and 3.9 GPA (their top 75th percentile is 3.8). So I’m a strong splitter numerically—which is why I’m scared about typos on my app or rogue recommenders.
FYI a splitter is above median LSAT/Below median GPA, and a reverse splitter is the opposite. You are a reverse splitter at GW, though just barely. If GW is a target, by all means reach out and try to get off the waitlist. This cycle is particularly competitive so it's not shocking that you didn't get an auto-accept. With that GPA though you could always sit out if you don't get the right combination of money and school and retake in August. The sky is the limit. Obviously if you are dead set on matriculating this cycle you have to work with what you have.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”