ASU 2020 - Waitlisted but above both medians?! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rogeliolimon

New

ASU 2020 - Waitlisted but above both medians?!

Post by rogeliolimon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:39 pm

I was notified that I had been waitlisted from ASU Law today. This was extremely disturbing to me as I am at the top 75th percentile for both LSAT and GPA--I considered this school a safety. This was the first decision I've received back and now I'm scared about all my other schools. What could have possibly happened? Did they mess up? Should I call them?

rogeliolimon

New

Re: ASU 2020 - Waitlisted but above both medians?!

Post by rogeliolimon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:26 pm

In b4 "Your resume and personal statement were unimpressive"--warning: sounds arrogant, but I'm trying to paint the full picture--

I've interned for multiple law offices--private civil firm, multiple prosecutors, federal court, congress. I have worked as an undergraduate research assistant to three different professors and my research has been featured on news outlets across the country. My personal statement talks about my adopted sibling and how watching a criminal trial about a murdered adopted child heavily motivated my desire to be a prosecutor (it was proofread by two professors and two friends). My resume was also reviewed. My application was STURDY.

dvlthndr

Bronze

Post by dvlthndr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:38 pm

If you are actually above the 75th percentile in both categories, this is probably a yield protection issue. They don't want to give out acceptances that will be turned down since it hurts their rankings. It's a pretty well known phenomenon, and I wouldn't let it worry you.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:52 pm

dvlthndr wrote:If you are actually above the 75th percentile in both categories, this is probably a yield protection issue. They don't want to give out acceptances that will be turned down since it hurts their rankings. It's a pretty well known phenomenon, and I wouldn't let it worry you.
It's possible OP has serious C&F issues (e.g., academic misconduct, criminal convictions) and/or a rogue recommender (always a possibility). But most likely this is a yield protection issue as stated above. Being well above a school's 75ths is the paradigmatic case for being waitlisted due to yield protection. Almost every law school outside the T6 does this to some extent.

rogeliolimon

New

Post by rogeliolimon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:21 pm

QContinuum wrote:
dvlthndr wrote:If you are actually above the 75th percentile in both categories, this is probably a yield protection issue. They don't want to give out acceptances that will be turned down since it hurts their rankings. It's a pretty well known phenomenon, and I wouldn't let it worry you.
It's possible OP has serious C&F issues (e.g., academic misconduct, criminal convictions) and/or a rogue recommender (always a possibility). But most likely this is a yield protection issue as stated above. Being well above a school's 75ths is the paradigmatic case for being waitlisted due to yield protection. Almost every law school outside the T6 does this to some extent.
Thank y’all so much! To clarify, I am AT the top 75th percentile for ASU. Their top 75th percentiles for LSAT & GPA are 164 and 3.9. My LSAT & GPA are 164 and 3.9—so I’m definitely not *well above* their top metric. Is this still common for YP cases? Who the hells gets merit scholarships if schools are scared to accept overqualified candidates?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:41 pm

QContinuum wrote:
For folk who seriously want an acceptance from a school where they are above both 75th percentiles at a school outside the T-6 (and maybe outside HYS if their numbers are high enough) it's imperative that you include a convincing Why X essay for the school.

Include real information about both the school (going beyond the first page of its website and its Wikipedia entry) and your goals, tying the two together in a manner that would convince an admissions officer that you are serious about attending.

For OP, if you didn't include that with your application, go ahead and send it in response to the WL.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:14 pm

I've seen schools turn around with a big scholarship offer 24-hours after receiving a letter of continued interest in this situation.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:23 pm

rogeliolimon wrote:Who the hells gets merit scholarships if schools are scared to accept overqualified candidates?
  • Folks in your situation who send in a letter of continued interest (LOCI).
  • Folks who submitted a convincing, tailored Why X (or a tailored PS) with their initial application.
  • Folks who demonstrated their interest by visiting campus after applying (and before receiving a decision).
  • Folks who "inherently" appear likely to attend (e.g., someone with a full-time job applying to a part-time program, someone with strong local ties, someone whose stated goals align with one of the law school's strengths, etc.).
  • Sometimes, splitters, if the school desperately needs more high GPAs or more high LSAT scores.

whaddayaknow

New

Post by whaddayaknow » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Actually their went up. They admitted the strongest incoming class ever. Median is now 164 and 3.9. So you are right in the middle now. The only instant acceptance from there is being in top quarter of LSAT.

You’ll probably get in off the wait list but not a huge scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lilly Luchen

New

Post by Lilly Luchen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:48 am

I am above the 75 percentile(both stats) for another similarly ranked school, and was waitlisted. The letter says "we are impressed with your credentials, however, we are unable to offer your admissions at this time."

It should be a yield projection problem. If the cycle turns out that you really want to attend ASU, then you can let them know they are your priority.

I second your frustration though. nothing truly feels safe.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:47 pm

I was waitlisted at my current school, was well above their medians. I sent in a LOCI- 48 hours later got an admissions offer and a scholly. Send them a message tailored to them and say you really want to be there.
Best of luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”