UC Hastings c/o 2021 Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mnc211

New

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2021 Thread

Post by mnc211 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:39 am

LegalComplex wrote:UR since 3/20... anyone else?
In review as of 3/16. Good luck!

Jyoung1234

New

Post by Jyoung1234 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:55 pm

265489164158 wrote:
Bender7 wrote:Rankings have been leaked. Hasttings is officially tier 2 now. With one of the lowest bar passage rates in the state and a sinking reputation, I would strongly avoid Hastings.
Thank you for the news flash! I am sorry you hate Hastings so much you created an account to Hastings bash. Yes, there are some unhappy alumni (my guess is you are one of them), especially those who graduated during the recession. The leaked rankings are based on the class of 2016. I am hopeful that bar passage will improve with the changes they started implementing last year that impact the class of 2018, 2019 and beyond. Yes, the outcome is bleak for those in bottom half of the class. Is that how the school should be measured and evaluated, though? The biggest mistake Hastings has made is in not being selective enough in admissions. As for the people in the bottom half, however, can you really suggest they would have a better employment outcome if they went to McGeorge or Case Western? Where is the data on that?
Hi 265489164158, can you tell me more about your UC Hastings experience, namely, how did you manage to do so well and your job opportunities/externships throughout the 3 years? I am deciding between UC Hastings and some other local school. Thanks!

Bronze

Post by 265489164158 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi 265489164158, can you tell me more about your UC Hastings experience, namely, how did you manage to do so well and your job opportunities/externships throughout the 3 years? I am deciding between UC Hastings and some other local school. Thanks!
Jyoung,

I had a great experience at Hastings. The location is fantastic for judicial externships in both state and federal courts, during the summers and especially during the school year. I externed at a federal court my 1L summer, as did several of my classmates. There are also many opportunities to extern with the USAO (which I did), local DAs or PDs, and for the city of SF. Also, Hastings has great clinical offerings that provide for hands-on legal experience.

As for bar passage, we had great results for July 2019 Cal bar.

However, given the recession and the tightening legal market, I would only go to Hastings if you are getting significant aid. If not, you should study for the LSAT and retake to improve your options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”