UChicago c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What is your application status? (please update!!!)

Did not submit yet
6%
Submitted, incomplete
2%
Submitted, complete, not interviewed
37%
Submitted, complete, interviewed
19%
Accepted :D
20%
Waitlisted :roll:
14%
Rejected :cry:
2%

Total votes: 243

blackmamba8

Bronze

Re: UChicago c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:18 pm

dm1683 wrote:
etramak wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:For those on waitlist, I am really sorry. I can only think that, as others said, it's a combo of YP plus prioritization of certain 'types' of candidates. I don't think they are opposed to young applicants, but maybe don't gravitate that way first. Some schools just seem to have a type. I, for example, am the old, sure-bet type (in that I already work in legal research, know what I want to do, have grad degrees, have partners at my firms writing me letters). My numbers are not as strong as many of yours though. This combo is working out for me really well at some schools, but others won't give me the time of day. I can't get a JS1 to save my life. Oh well - if they think I'm not right for them, I can accept that.

And frankly if you have a 175+/4.0 AND are young, I think others are right - they assume you're headed to HYS. If you send them an essay and let them know they're your first choice, I'm 100% sure they'll snap you up and give you a gigantic welcome scholarship to soothe any hurt feelings over that unsavory waitlist business. Bad first date! Can totally be a happy marriage where you and Chicago will laugh about it when you're old and grey.
I submitted a two-page Why Chicago in my original app in which I explicitly named them as one of my top choices. So it can't be YP in my case. There was a connectivity issue with Skype during my interview, could that really have been the nail in the coffin?

But hey, thanks for the reassurance and that LOCI is being written as we speak.
I had a connectivity issue with skype as well. Did they call you on the phone (this is what happened in my case)? The phone conversation, I think, went smoothly but it did give it a bit of an awkward/overly casual feel to it so I hope I didn't speak out of turn or too nonchalantly.
Yes they did. I definitely stumbled on one question though. But overall the interview went OK I think. Solid B.
Just curious, what day did you guys interview? I had connectivity issues too, they called me on the phone, and I was waitlisted as well. (Though my LSAT is between 25th and 50th so I'm not surprised). I'm thinking the connectivity issue was on their end because I tested my skype right after the interview and it worked just fine.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:18 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
etramak wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:For those on waitlist, I am really sorry. I can only think that, as others said, it's a combo of YP plus prioritization of certain 'types' of candidates. I don't think they are opposed to young applicants, but maybe don't gravitate that way first. Some schools just seem to have a type. I, for example, am the old, sure-bet type (in that I already work in legal research, know what I want to do, have grad degrees, have partners at my firms writing me letters). My numbers are not as strong as many of yours though. This combo is working out for me really well at some schools, but others won't give me the time of day. I can't get a JS1 to save my life. Oh well - if they think I'm not right for them, I can accept that.

And frankly if you have a 175+/4.0 AND are young, I think others are right - they assume you're headed to HYS. If you send them an essay and let them know they're your first choice, I'm 100% sure they'll snap you up and give you a gigantic welcome scholarship to soothe any hurt feelings over that unsavory waitlist business. Bad first date! Can totally be a happy marriage where you and Chicago will laugh about it when you're old and grey.
I submitted a two-page Why Chicago in my original app in which I explicitly named them as one of my top choices. So it can't be YP in my case. There was a connectivity issue with Skype during my interview, could that really have been the nail in the coffin?

I had a connectivity issue with skype as well. Did they call you on the phone (this is what happened in my case)? The phone conversation, I think, went smoothly but it did give it a bit of an awkward/overly casual feel to it so I hope I didn't speak out of turn or too nonchalantly.
Yes they did. I definitely stumbled on one question though. But overall the interview went OK I think. Solid B.
Just curious, what day did you guys interview? I had connectivity issues too, they called me on the phone, and I was waitlisted as well. (Though my LSAT is between 25th and 50th so I'm not surprised). I'm thinking the connectivity issue was on their end because I tested my skype right after the interview and it worked just fine.
I haven't gotten a deciision

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:19 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
etramak wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

11/27 for me.

Maroon32

New

Post by Maroon32 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Note to interviewees: If you think it's a good idea to do your interview in UChi's law library in a quiet zone where students are studying, please think again

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Maroon32 wrote:Note to interviewees: If you think it's a good idea to do your interview in UChi's law library in a quiet zone where students are studying, please think again
I wonder how many times in the personal statement the applicant made clear that he/she attends UChicago :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Maroon56

New

Post by Maroon56 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:29 pm

dm1683 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
etramak wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

11/27 for me.
Current 1L here, FWIW I recently heard from a well known professor that almost no one is excluded based on interviews. His exact words were "maybe 2 out of 100 people are disqualified based on the interview." I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but his general point was that it is very much your spot to lose if you get an interview.

Maroon56

New

Post by Maroon56 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:33 pm

On another note, very confused as to why so many K-JDs are being WLd this cycle. I hadn't been keeping an eye on this, but there were at least 5 students in the current 1L class that weren't even 21 at the start of the year.

Maroon56

New

Post by Maroon56 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:36 pm

shermy wrote:
38981928 wrote:
jkander31 wrote:So honest q. Is Harvard's interview the same as UChicago in terms of its importance. I've heard that an early JS1 is a good sign that you'll get in (statistically) and Idk about UChicago. I know both are required. Sorry for being neuoritic
I'm not sure for UChicago, though I will say that the HLS interview was wonderful and my interviewer was very pleasant/friendly/conversational and seemed to really be trying to get to know me / see how my goals and personality fit within HLS. My Chicago interviewer seemed to be reading off a list of questions and gave no response whatsoever minus some head nodding while typing. If she were *trying* to look like a robot rattling off questions, she succeeded! She also gave no indication that she read my file beyond my resume, so I have a feeling you just have to pass a certain stats/resume threshold to get interviewed.
+1 Felt exactly the same way about my Chicago interview vs. my HLS interview.
See my above post, I was also told by the same prof. that the rumors of UChi starting interviews a couple years ago to filter out people that are awkward have some truth to them.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:52 pm

Maroon56 wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
etramak wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

11/27 for me.
Current 1L here, FWIW I recently heard from a well known professor that almost no one is excluded based on interviews. His exact words were "maybe 2 out of 100 people are disqualified based on the interview." I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but his general point was that it is very much your spot to lose if you get an interview.
That makes sense. I thought my interview went pretty well. I was just curious if the people with connectivity issues interviewed on the same day as me or if that's something that has happened with them on more than one day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:54 am

Just updated to UR2 1/19, was UR1 11/29

ha8845

New

Post by ha8845 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 pm

In terms of the status checker, does it go Complete —> UR1 —> Interview requested/scheduled —> UR2 —> UR3, etc? Are people getting to UR3, 4, and 5 because the UR date post-interview keeps changing? If so, is it possible to get a decision without going all the way to UR4?

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:01 pm

ha8845 wrote:In terms of the status checker, does it go Complete —> UR1 —> Interview requested/scheduled —> UR2 —> UR3, etc? Are people getting to UR3, 4, and 5 because the UR date post-interview keeps changing? If so, is it possible to get a decision without going all the way to UR4?
I was complete --> UR 1 --> UR 1.5 --> Interview Requested / Scheduled --> UR2 --> UR3 --> UR4. From what I've seen, it seems like all candidates go UR4, regardless of whether they're admitted, waitlisted, or dinged.

fohner

New

Post by fohner » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:10 pm

MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:
ha8845 wrote:In terms of the status checker, does it go Complete —> UR1 —> Interview requested/scheduled —> UR2 —> UR3, etc? Are people getting to UR3, 4, and 5 because the UR date post-interview keeps changing? If so, is it possible to get a decision without going all the way to UR4?
I was complete --> UR 1 --> UR 1.5 --> Interview Requested / Scheduled --> UR2 --> UR3 --> UR4. From what I've seen, it seems like all candidates go UR4, regardless of whether they're admitted, waitlisted, or dinged.
Any idea why people go UR 1.5? Is it possibly a scholarship thing?

Another question: How often do interview request waves come out? If the next acceptance wave takes place early to mid February, has everyone being considered for that wave gotten an interview request already?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Hstrat wrote:I'm a 3.5/177/Non-URM/no why Chicago. I got WL'd but my non-URM numbers twin got accepted. I seem like kind of an odd candidate for YP, could it have been a bad PS or something?
Your numbers don't make you an auto-admit, so who knows? They can only take so many splitters while maintaining that GPA median. A "bad" PS would have gotten you rejected.

JosephFourier

New

Post by JosephFourier » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:38 am

What sort of questions do they ask during the interview? I have one this week and I heard it's tougher than most. Is it mostly targeted towards your application or is it more like a behavioral interview?

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:19 am

dm1683 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
principalagent wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Another waitlist. I'm floored. 4.0/173/Why Chicago/interview. K-JD like many of the others. Glad to hear I'm not alone but this was my top choice. Gunner bloodbath right here...
I’m floored! You’re incredible.

Chicago was really out here today.
+1 to this. I'm genuinely shocked by some of these waitlists
I can think of a few reasons why in my case:

1. I'm K-JD and a really young K-JD at that. Turned legal less than six months ago.

2. Didn't prioritize "why law" in my PS, made it more about my personal story (I was afraid of being boilerplate, guess I misjudged)

3. Interview went OK but not stellar; I faltered a bit on one question in particular

4. Soft major from an unimpressive school

Honestly I think I relied too much on my good numbers/diversity. With the increase in applicants/introduction of the GRE perhaps we're moving to a more holistic admissions process.
173/4.0 kjd waitlist over here adding that I check every single one of these boxes as well. New plan is to take a year, retake, and reapply

sharris2017

New

Post by sharris2017 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:00 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
etramak wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

What's your GPA?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gobbledygook

New

Post by gobbledygook » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:28 am

Working on my LOCI - do you think the "limit your essay to two pages" means single or double spaced? Do people double space their LOCIs??

2021hopeful

New

Post by 2021hopeful » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am

gobbledygook wrote:Working on my LOCI - do you think the "limit your essay to two pages" means single or double spaced? Do people double space their LOCIs??
I read it to mean double-spaced, but not sure. Do you know if we are supposed to include updated personal info (like promotion at work/raised GPA/joined a new club) in the LOCI? The email sort of read to me like the Admissions Office wanted a strict 'why statement'-type letter.

gobbledygook

New

Post by gobbledygook » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:34 am

2021hopeful wrote: I read it to mean double-spaced, but not sure. Do you know if we are supposed to include updated personal info (like promotion at work/raised GPA/joined a new club) in the LOCI? The email sort of read to me like the Admissions Office wanted a strict 'why statement'-type letter.
Yeah, it sounded like more of a 'why Chicago' than a traditional LOCI to me. The only update they seem to be asking for is updated transcripts.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:22 am

sharris2017 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
etramak wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

What's your GPA?
4.0x

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bosshawg

New

Post by bosshawg » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:53 pm

mwells56 wrote:Just updated to UR2 1/19, was UR1 11/29

+1 UR1.5?

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:30 pm

bosshawg wrote:
mwells56 wrote:Just updated to UR2 1/19, was UR1 11/29

+1 UR1.5?
Must be because no interview request

Slawthschool

New

Post by Slawthschool » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Slightly off topic, but is anyone planning on attending the ASW? It's scheduled pretty late compared to most schools so I was thinking of visiting on my own time has anyone ever attended one of the student led tours?

fohner

New

Post by fohner » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Slawthschool wrote:Slightly off topic, but is anyone planning on attending the ASW? It's scheduled pretty late compared to most schools so I was thinking of visiting on my own time has anyone ever attended one of the student led tours?
I'll almost certainly be at ASW if I get in. I'm also planning on taking a student led tour sometime this spring. Can anyone describe what the tours are like? Are they very personal and small or more like a quick walk through? I'd be interested in sitting in on a class too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”