Cooley c/o 2020 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: Cooley c/o 2020 applicants

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:46 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:You all have made me really nervous about going to Cooley. With application season not over, where else should I apply with my numbers? Willing to branch out of MI to the Midwest if I have a few days or weeks left to send applications.
You should wait a 5 months to apply for the next cycle the first day, even without a retake(which you very badly need) you will have better chances at any school then you do right now where schools give everyone less money(and alot less) with better numbers than they did to the early birds. Also retake during that five months window(Is it to late for June?). There is a ton of room for improvement, it would be extremely hard for you not to improve from that score tbh. I hate giving this advice but if a 138 going to Cooley isn't an excuse, what is?

In Mich i guess Wayne State is probably about the same as MSU.
Don't give advice to others until you've made objectively good decisions in your own life.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:59 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:You all have made me really nervous about going to Cooley. With application season not over, where else should I apply with my numbers? Willing to branch out of MI to the Midwest if I have a few days or weeks left to send applications.
You should wait a 5 months to apply for the next cycle the first day, even without a retake(which you very badly need) you will have better chances at any school then you do right now where schools give everyone less money(and alot less) with better numbers than they did to the early birds. Also retake during that five months window(Is it to late for June?). There is a ton of room for improvement, it would be extremely hard for you not to improve from that score tbh. I hate giving this advice but if a 138 going to Cooley isn't an excuse, what is?

Don't give advice to others until you've made objectively good decisions in your own life.
The choices I'm considering aren't "objectively bad". Cooley at 138 and almost sticker(if we account for tuition increases sticker) is an objectively bad decision. Heck out of 200 plus ABA law schools and all possible scholly combos it's pretty close to being the worst possible decision a 0L can make.

vcap180

Bronze

Post by vcap180 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:02 am

y'all trippin

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:07 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

The choices I'm considering aren't "objectively bad". Cooley at 138 and almost sticker(if we account for tuition increases sticker) is an objectively bad decision. Heck out of 200 plus ABA law schools and all possible scholly combos it's pretty close to being the worst possible decision a 0L can make.
You know what the difference is between ~50-60% employment (UCONN) and ~30% employment? 20-30%. You can play with generalities about employment and how Cooley is different than UCONN (without even mentioning QU, btw), but you're considering taking on $100k debt at this point to improve your chance of making $45k because 50-60% is better than ~30%. 50-60% chance of making $45k is not substantially better than 30% chance of making $45k when you're considering $100k+ debt.

You're bad at this, and I'll question your decisions and advice everywhere you go.

beforethelaw

New

Post by beforethelaw » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:11 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Cooley isn't too bad and the people there are awesome.

I have a friend who graduated from Cooley and he had attended as sort of a second-career 25ish year old out of this a trailer-park town near Detroit. Impressive guy who graduated from Cranbrook (Mitt Romney's High School) and become a really good underground rapper in the Detroit area. He was doing pretty well for himself until some random guy named B-Bunny or B-Rabbit came and owned him in a rap battle and my man needed to find a new career...

Dinged at UMich and so he went straight for the bottom of the barrel and attended the prestigious Western Michigan University Cooley School of Law where he graduated somewhere near the median. Awesome guy but he had some legal issues because he sold some crack/pot durin his days as an underground rapper but nevertheless he persisted. I heard he's now on the legal team that represents B-Bunny/B-Rabbit now, so he did pretty well for himself!
He went to Cranbrook? That's a private school!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:12 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Come on.....so the worst law school in the country still places a higher percentage of students into biglaw than QU...you really think that QU is a significant upgrade over Cooley?!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:13 am

beforethelaw wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Cooley isn't too bad and the people there are awesome.

I have a friend who graduated from Cooley and he had attended as sort of a second-career 25ish year old out of this a trailer-park town near Detroit. Impressive guy who graduated from Cranbrook (Mitt Romney's High School) and become a really good underground rapper in the Detroit area. He was doing pretty well for himself until some random guy named B-Bunny or B-Rabbit came and owned him in a rap battle and my man needed to find a new career...

Dinged at UMich and so he went straight for the bottom of the barrel and attended the prestigious Western Michigan University Cooley School of Law where he graduated somewhere near the median. Awesome guy but he had some legal issues because he sold some crack/pot durin his days as an underground rapper but nevertheless he persisted. I heard he's now on the legal team that represents B-Bunny/B-Rabbit now, so he did pretty well for himself!
He went to Cranbrook? That's a private school!
Thank goodness someone got it :D

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:13 am

UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

You know what the difference is between ~50-60% employment (UCONN) and ~30% employment? 20-30%. You can play with generalities about employment and how Cooley is different than UCONN (without even mentioning QU, btw), but you're considering taking on $100k debt at this point to improve your chance of making $45k because 50-60% is better than ~30%. 50-60% chance of making $45k is not substantially better than 30% chance of making $45k when you're considering $100k+ debt.

You're bad at this, and I'll question your decisions and advice everywhere you go.
UCONN's also rated lower in the super special cooley law school ranking because their library isn't big enough. Don't forget that! Okay question my advice. I was wrong OP, UVA proved me wrong, go to Cooley and have fun socializing with your peers! Library's got tons of square feet so you guys should have no trouble finding room to study either! I think they've got more square feet than Yale(their personal rankings told me so), that's got to count for something.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:23 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

UCONN's also rated lower in the super special Cooley law school ranking because their library isn't big enough. Don't forget that! Okay question my advice. I was wrong OP, UVA proved me wrong, go to Cooley and have fun socializing with your peers! Library's got tons of square feet so you guys should have no trouble finding room to study either! I think they've got more square feet than Yale(their personal rankings told me so), that's got to count for something.
To reiterate: you're bad at this, please stop trying to justify your relatively bad decisions.

For sake of clarity, I'm going to continue pointing out your idiocy:

1. Who said anything about Cooley law ranks? I'm pointing out that you're pushing for a 50% chance of a job that won't pay your debt vs. a 30% chance of a job that won't pay your debt. All relative: you're both screwed more than likely.

2. Are you this dumb, really? I only hope to point out that both of the options presented (yours and the OP) are categorically idiotic, and as such, neither of you should be listened to in this poor attempt to rationalize decisions. Both are horrible decisions, but in this case yours is ~30% less worse. Congrats on that.

3. This is the closest you've ever come to actual flame territory by mentioning Cooley law library rankings. Most know this is a huge flame deserving scorn. I actually hope this outs you as a flame because it'll mean you aren't this abjectly idiotic. But if not, I'm not comparing the relative merits of dumpster fires. I'm just calling them dumpster fires.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:45 am

UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

UCONN's also rated lower in the super special Cooley law school ranking because their library isn't big enough. Don't forget that! Okay question my advice. I was wrong OP, UVA proved me wrong, go to Cooley and have fun socializing with your peers! Library's got tons of square feet so you guys should have no trouble finding room to study either! I think they've got more square feet than Yale(their personal rankings told me so), that's got to count for something.
To reiterate: you're bad at this, please stop trying to justify your relatively bad decisions.

1. Who said anything about Cooley law ranks? I'm pointing out that you're pushing for a 50% chance of a job that won't pay your debt vs. a 30% chance of a job that won't pay your debt. All relative: you're both screwed more than likely.

2. Are you this dumb, really? I only hope to point out that both of the options presented (yours and the OP) are categorically idiotic, and as such, neither of you should be listened to in this poor attempt to rationalize decisions. Both are horrible decisions, but in this case yours is ~30% less worse. Congrats on that.

3. This is the closest you've ever come to actual flame territory by mentioning Cooley law library rankings. Most know this is a huge flame deserving scorn. I actually hope this outs you as a flame because it'll mean you aren't this abjectly idiotic. But if not, I'm not comparing the relative merits of dumpster fires. I'm just calling them dumpster fires.
It should be odvious to anyone I was being sarcastic. I just don't get why you were coming after me when I gave advice you clearly agree with!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:49 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

It should be odvious to anyone I was being sarcastic. I just don't get why you were coming after me when I gave advice you clearly agree with!
Because honestly, that wasn't too far off from the stuff you usually say...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:55 am

Okay, while going to Cooley is...special, technically this forum is for sharing info about acceptances etc, not for debating the merits of the school, and it's also not a place to fight with ferrisjo over his choices. So I'm locking this. OP, if you're not trolling, feel free to start a new thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”