Fordham vs. Cardozo (with $$) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rosetta

New

Fordham vs. Cardozo (with $$)

Post by rosetta » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:58 pm

I was admitted into both Fordham and Cardozo, but Cardozo granted me a half tuition scholarship (which is renewable as long as I maintain a 3.3 GPA)

Which one should I choose? :)

I'm still waiting on my top choices, but I will attend here if my top choices don't work out.

rn2mx

New

Re: Fordham vs. Cardozo (with $$)

Post by rn2mx » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:13 pm

I say go with Fordham. However, if you are really interested in Cardozo, I'd be willing to place a sizable bet that they'd offer you a full ride plus a stipend if you hold out long enough (they did that with both my girlfriend and her friend, though both ultimately still chose Fordham with much smaller scholarships).

wraithia

New

Post by wraithia » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:44 pm

H
rn2mx wrote:I say go with Fordham. However, if you are really interested in Cardozo, I'd be willing to place a sizable bet that they'd offer you a full ride plus a stipend if you hold out long enough (they did that with both my girlfriend and her friend, though both ultimately still chose Fordham with much smaller scholarships).
rn2mx wrote:I say go with Fordham. However, if you are really interested in Cardozo, I'd be willing to place a sizable bet that they'd offer you a full ride plus a stipend if you hold out long enough (they did that with both my girlfriend and her friend, though both ultimately still chose Fordham with much smaller scholarships).
If you don't mind my asking, how did they go about initiating that? Cardozo has a program that I'm interested in, but the overall package isn't worth going with the scholly offered...as much as I'd love to stay in the city. With a full ride and stipend, though...

MikeLav456

New

Post by MikeLav456 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:00 pm

I have the same decision to make though I have a full ride plus a stipend at Cardozo and 10 grand at Fordham. Help please. I'm also a religious Jew and being off for all Jewish holidays (at Cardozo) would be very helpful, and I hear the building is much nicer.

rosetta

New

Post by rosetta » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:04 pm

wow, congrats MikeLav, what were your stats?

I'd also like to know how the other students previously negotiated extra funding for Cardozo. Did they tell the school they were going to Fordham instead?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

newtocali

New

Post by newtocali » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:20 pm

if you are religious, I would say go to Cardozo. My best friend is at Fordham, as alot of frum kids in her class and she has said multiple times how hard it is for them during holidays, how much they are missing. The fact that there is a school like Cardozo is amazing for us, I think it is so worth it.

rosetta

New

Post by rosetta » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:34 pm

Aside from the religious affiliation, which would you choose: Cardozo or Fordham?

I'm not religious jewish, but I understand how that would be a huge factor in others' decisions. I attend a college with many religious jewish students. My school gives us off on the jewish holidays and this is really beneficial b/c most of the religious students would have to miss class if my school didn't cancel class on those days.

newtocali

New

Post by newtocali » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:39 pm

I think I would still go with Cardozo, even if I wasn't religious. The money is too tempting! Obviously Fordham is ranked higher, but coming from NY I feel that regardless I would have great connections for finding a job. Additionally, Cardozo's international program looks HOT to me.

ashleyk1

New

Post by ashleyk1 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:39 pm

I would check the other Cardozo scholarship thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =1&t=27325
apparently it is somewhat difficult to maintain their scholarship...just a thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rosetta

New

Post by rosetta » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:43 am

yeah, i saw that page. it seems a little unscrupulous to me that a school would do that.

What do you think about job prospects from Fordham vs. Cardozo? Same? Different?

MikeLav456

New

Post by MikeLav456 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:35 am

My stats are 169/3.75
I'm actually still waiting on NYU (deferred ED) and I was WL at Columbia.
So I didn't know about it being difficult to maintain the scholarship.
My sister-in-law is at Cardozo with a full scholarship and she did really well making law review and landing a great job, but she busted her butt, I don't know if I'm such a hard worker. If I was a very hard worker, I'd take Cardozo, but I feel like I have more breathing room at Fordham. I'd also like to know what the general job prospects are like as far as Fordham vs. Cardozo go.

Ben Matlock

New

Post by Ben Matlock » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:59 am

newtocali wrote:if you are religious, I would say go to Cardozo. My best friend is at Fordham, as alot of frum kids in her class and she has said multiple times how hard it is for them during holidays, how much they are missing. The fact that there is a school like Cardozo is amazing for us, I think it is so worth it.
FYI, there are more religious Jews at Fordham than at Cardozo. According to someone I met at a shabbos lunch a few weeks ago, Fordham tapes lectures during holidays.

That being said, not having to make up anything for holidays would be very nice.

rosetta

New

Post by rosetta » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:04 pm

In terms of job prospects, I heard that you need to really be at the top of the class at both schools in order to land the best jobs. Do you think this is true?

Is there any real difference b/t Cardozo and Fordham in terms of job prospects? Opinions please :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yahoo

New

Post by yahoo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:18 am

I got a full scholarship at Cardozo and assumed this was the most they give. Some of you seem to be saying that there are stipends too. Are these stipends for the summer or the academic year? Is a stipend a one-time thing or is it renewable? And also, what amount are we talking about?
I received an offer from a much better school and would like to see whether something else about Cardozo can entice me to go there.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

mzing12

New

Post by mzing12 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:26 am

How did you find out about a Cardozo acceptance: letter or email?

I got a fee waiver from them and they've kept up with me through email, so hopefully I get accepted. :[ My last name also sounds Jewish.

Meggie5121

New

Post by Meggie5121 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:36 am

I think I am in the same boat. I just found out about Fordham yesterday and I have a full tuition scholarship offer with stipend to Cardozo. The stipend, from what I understood is $5,000 a year for the 3 years that you are there assuming you maintain the 3.3 GPA necessary. I should receive official notification from Fordham within the next few days to find out if they are offering me any money at all.

I am leaning a little bit towards Fordham for their ranking but honestly I have been much more impressed by the way Cardozo has handled the admissions process so far. They have sent me tons of information while things with Fordham have kind of been a mess. I am planning on visiting both in early April. Hopefully that will seal the deal.

lmondragon

New

Post by lmondragon » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:36 am

i got a phone call first. the acceptance letter came in the mail a few days later...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

carm611

New

Post by carm611 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:25 pm

I got the Cardozo call last night w/25 a yr. Still waiting on Fordham though!

rosetta

New

Post by rosetta » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:35 pm

I also received a telephone call about the acceptance and scholarship (20k) and then received a letter.

If they offered me full tuition with that stipend, that's a sweet deal. My trouble is that its 20k vs better reputation/rank at fordham. For all those who received tuition + stipends, what were your LSAT scores?

For me, I suppose the question is whether or not fordham's reputation and greater variety of centers/clinics worth 20 K??

aximpod

New

Post by aximpod » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:48 pm

Fordham over anything Cardozo has to offer. It is that much better in terms of job prospect.

Meggie5121

New

Post by Meggie5121 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:58 am

For anyone who got money from Fordham, how did you find out about that? Is it mentioned in the original email acceptance or does something come later in the mail? I got the Fordham acceptance today but it did not mention anything, I am assuming that means no money from them. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:11 pm

My stats are 169/3.75
With these numbers, Fordham and Cardozo probably shouldn't even come into the debate (although a full ride is always tempting). I don't know everywhere you applied, but you would have a very good shot at Michigan, Virginia, and the like. In terms of job prospects, those schools are leaps and bounds above either Fordham or Cardozo. If you didn't apply to those schools, it might even be worth it to take a year off and possibly retake the lsat. + 3 or 4 would likely net you some decent money at a school like Michigan.

rosetta

New

Post by rosetta » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:57 pm

Fordham told me that all of our applications are automatically reviewed for scholarships. I'm not sure when they notify people because I haven't been notified about any $$ from them.

MikeLav456

New

Post by MikeLav456 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:17 pm

matty wrote:
My stats are 169/3.75
With these numbers, Fordham and Cardozo probably shouldn't even come into the debate (although a full ride is always tempting). I don't know everywhere you applied, but you would have a very good shot at Michigan, Virginia, and the like. In terms of job prospects, those schools are leaps and bounds above either Fordham or Cardozo. If you didn't apply to those schools, it might even be worth it to take a year off and possibly retake the lsat. + 3 or 4 would likely net you some decent money at a school like Michigan.
I want to be in NY pretty much. Married and don't want to move. But thanks for the words of encouragement
Meggie5121 wrote:For anyone who got money from Fordham, how did you find out about that? Is it mentioned in the original email acceptance or does something come later in the mail? I got the Fordham acceptance today but it did not mention anything, I am assuming that means no money from them. :(
I think I got mine a few days later. Please don't hold me to that. I remember calling the admissions or financial aid office at some point and asking them, you should do the same.

booze87

New

Post by booze87 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm

i see a lot of people are in the same boat as me. i received a 20k scholarship to cardozo and am still waiting on fordham. fordham is definitely a mess. i applied in early october and still didnt get a definite answer. cardozo, on the other hand, i applied to in january and already received a phone call and letter of acceptance a couple weeks ago. im a religious jew and people are telling me thats a huge advantage in cardozo is that true? also is it harder to do well in fordham or cardozo? anyone have some answers please? thanx

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”