Penn Law c/o 2020 - WAITLIST Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
StopLawying

Silver

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 - WAITLIST

Post by StopLawying » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:55 pm

hbdash wrote:Has anyone received a feeler call yet this week, or know of anyone who has?
Know a couple ppl who got feeler call last week, and they all accepted the offer. My hopes are dwindling, and at this point, I can't imagine they have more than 5-10 offers.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Got a feeler call this week. PM for stats. Please don't quote.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:29 am

Withdrew a few days ago from the Penn WL -- they refused to give me any aid, need-based or merit-based. So only stay on the WL if you are okay with paying sticker. I hope this opens up a spot for you!

Mudori

New

Post by Mudori » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:24 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:Withdrew a few days ago from the Penn WL -- they refused to give me any aid, need-based or merit-based. So only stay on the WL if you are okay with paying sticker. I hope this opens up a spot for you!
Yikes... not even need-based? I thought they would at least give need-based, per previous comments.

JoshLyman13

New

Post by JoshLyman13 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Mudori wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:Withdrew a few days ago from the Penn WL -- they refused to give me any aid, need-based or merit-based. So only stay on the WL if you are okay with paying sticker. I hope this opens up a spot for you!
Yikes... not even need-based? I thought they would at least give need-based, per previous comments.
They will offer need-based aid to anybody accepted off the waitlist provided they qualify for need-based aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:56 pm

JoshLyman13 wrote:
Mudori wrote:
They will offer need-based aid to anybody accepted off the waitlist provided they qualify for need-based aid.
Sorry for the confusion -- my bad. I meant they did not want to give me need-based aid, because I don't qualify. You may qualify though!

jamesmangi

Bronze

Post by jamesmangi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:14 am

Think we're gonna see a general update soon? Dean Post said late June/early July

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:54 am

jamesmangi wrote:Think we're gonna see a general update soon? Dean Post said late June/early July
she said she'd hope to be in a position to provide an update. I'm fairly sure (maybe hope haha) they will send something out either way to keep us informed.

littlekidlover

New

Post by littlekidlover » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Per a liked tweet by Penn Law's twitter account, it looks like there was another WL admission today.

My mother told me this, please do not think I'm actually this obsessive about Penn.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Edit: Penn still has need-based aid. It's just that I don't qualify for that. And if you would like to see if you qualify, they allow you to submit your CSS profile upon admission. And they would give you a rough estimate. Sorry for any confusions -- I hope that clears everything up, since I had a few people PM me.

jamesmangi

Bronze

Post by jamesmangi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:59 pm

anyone expecting email today from dean post

skurfy

New

Post by skurfy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:48 pm

jamesmangi wrote:anyone expecting email today from dean post
Just hit the inbox. Penn on point with the updates

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:54 pm

skurfy wrote:
jamesmangi wrote:anyone expecting email today from dean post
Just hit the inbox. Penn on point with the updates
Ditto. I kind of wish they had some disclaimer in the subject line so I didn't get a minor heart palpitation from thinking I've been dinged every time they update us.

Text is pretty much the same deal as the early July. Prob will just send a super brief two to three sentences about how I think Penn is dope.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shangrilala

New

Post by Shangrilala » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:09 am

I wonder how many seats are still left...
Last year it was about 5-10 seats they still had for July/Aug right? :(

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:21 pm

It was very strange how I got the UPenn update while I was driving through Philly for the first time.

jamesmangi

Bronze

Post by jamesmangi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Anyone surprised that (at least on TLS), not many ppl have been dinged from the WL? Spots are lowering and the WL is staying roughly same size

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:46 pm

jamesmangi wrote:Anyone surprised that (at least on TLS), not many ppl have been dinged from the WL? Spots are lowering and the WL is staying roughly same size
I think lots of people are starting to withdraw, it's already getting pretty late. So really no need for Penn to ding people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

honestlywhatever

New

Post by honestlywhatever » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:09 pm

StopLawying wrote:
jamesmangi wrote:Anyone surprised that (at least on TLS), not many ppl have been dinged from the WL? Spots are lowering and the WL is staying roughly same size
I think lots of people are starting to withdraw, it's already getting pretty late. So really no need for Penn to ding people.
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I do think the waitlist is small at this point. I don't see how the committee could be "very familiar" with each of our applications if it still consisted of hundreds of people (but who knows, maybe that line was BS inserted to discourage people from calling to ask for status updates).

But anyway, I agree with the poster above, and I also don't think people exactly rush to TLS or LSN to report dings, especially this late in the cycle. If you look at previous years, dings seem to have occurred rather quietly in those years as well. Last year, LSN saw 5 "WL, Rejected" updates total. And what was it, 3 or 4 on TLS?

In conclusion: let's not lose hope just yet. Mostly because I don't want to lose hope yet. I don't know why they're not giving us esimates, but the persistent optimist in me likes to think it's because they're embarassed of the inordinately high number of offers they anticipate making in July and August. (For comparison, UVA seems to have no problem bragging about their "inn" being full).

EWofNell

Bronze

Post by EWofNell » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:33 pm

WhaTs the consensus on the feeler calls? Are they mostly followed my acceptance?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:18 pm

EWofNell wrote:WhaTs the consensus on the feeler calls? Are they mostly followed my acceptance?
I think that's the general consensus as long as you convey interest and whatnot. Did you receive or know someone who did?

lawlife64

New

Post by lawlife64 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:10 pm

EWofNell wrote:WhaTs the consensus on the feeler calls? Are they mostly followed my acceptance?
Not necessarily...at least not at Georgetown. Could be different for Penn, but don't believe everything you read on this forum. It seems like the meaning of the feeler calls may depend on the cycle and certain enrollment factors.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jamesmangi

Bronze

Post by jamesmangi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:25 pm

How many of you guys would go for sticker if admitted?

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:27 pm

jamesmangi wrote:How many of you guys would go for sticker if admitted?
Me, but time is running out and not sure how much longer I can wait.

jamesmangi

Bronze

Post by jamesmangi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:49 pm

StopLawying wrote:
Me, but time is running out and not sure how much longer I can wait.
have you deposited elsewhere?

lawlife64

New

Post by lawlife64 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:03 pm

I would up until their classes start

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”