Northeastern c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BostonOrBust

Bronze

Northeastern c/o 2020

Post by BostonOrBust » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:10 am

Anyone? Was surprised that this thread didn't exist. I know people have whatever opinions on Northeastern, but as a Boston res and a public interest nut I'm really stoked on it! It's my first choice in terms of schools that are realistic for me with possibly some scholarship money.

Went complete on 1/10!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Re: Northeastern c/o 2020

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:05 am

Applied Nov. 1
Complete Nov. 5
Accepted Nov 22nd
90k scholly
Finalist for PILS

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:22 am

Applied around Thanksgiving and got offered a full-tuition scholarship. I love Northeastern and think I would really enjoy going to school there. I want to do public interest law and/or plaintiff-side litigation which it sounds like Northeastern is great for. However, I get so much flack from the people I talk to about how I should go to a much better ranked school even if I get less money.

metaxerox88

New

Post by metaxerox88 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:13 pm

I would be thrilled to get in here, I live outside Boston and have a PI focus. That said, I'm just under their medians, so even if I do get in it'll be tough to justify because I likely won't get much money, if any. I have in-state at UCONN (they have weird in-state rules) plus a 50% scholarship so my COA is low there, despite likely being locked in to the Hartford law market. Also in at Suffolk but that's a whole other story.

Went complete on 12/8 and haven't budged since FWIW.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Strangely I was admitted today via status checker! I still haven't gotten an email so I'm a little freaked out about that, but it clearly said "offer of admission," so I'm going to assume they're offering me admission.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:19 am

Accepted today with full tuition!

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:32 pm

LawTweet wrote:Applied around Thanksgiving and got offered a full-tuition scholarship. I love Northeastern and think I would really enjoy going to school there. I want to do public interest law and/or plaintiff-side litigation which it sounds like Northeastern is great for. However, I get so much flack from the people I talk to about how I should go to a much better ranked school even if I get less money.

Now in the exact same boat. Great school that I'm really stoked on, full tuition scholarship, but can't get rid of the voice in the back of my head (or my roommate, who's looking at HYS etc.) making me question things. Most of my peers from college went on to HYS, and most of those that didn't are at T14s. It feels like it's kind of the expectation.

My numbers aren't great. I could maybe slip in to a top 20, but I don't even know if that's what I want. I'm not a competitive person at all. I'm not looking at big law. I don't want to end up unhappy somewhere where everyone is stressed out and trying to bury each other to get a summer associate. Like, I just want to learn some law, make new friends, get my degree, and help people. I'm basically just a hard core Hufflepuff, and Northeastern seems like the Hufflepuff of law schools.

FWIW I've heard time and time again that if you want to work in PI in New England, everyone knows and respects Northeastern.

I applied to some more highly ranked schools, but I think the only ones I would truly consider over Northeastern would be Georgetown or Vanderbilt, both of which are unlikely and would probably end up being close to sticker if I were admitted since I'm at the bottom of the pool numbers-wise.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:35 pm

mm2368 wrote:Applied Nov. 1
Complete Nov. 5
Accepted Nov 22nd
90k scholly
Finalist for PILS
Congratulations! How did you find out you were a PILS finalist? Was it in your acceptance letter or did that info come later? Also, if you get PILS will you get to keep your $90k scholarship? Because that would be incredddddddible.

KDavis95

New

Post by KDavis95 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Just got accepted with a 60k scholarship :) I really like this school, especially it's coop program :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Any NUSL grads or students willing to take questions?

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:20 am

App in 1/14
Accepted 1/18

Full tuition but I wanted it under PILS. Oh well.

TudoBem

Bronze

Post by TudoBem » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:22 am

Great school for Public Interest! great location. I was accepted back in November. Good luck to all.

vcap180

Bronze

Post by vcap180 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Anyone else a bit confused by the apparent way that scholarships are being distributed? I am seeing extremely competitive (at least numerically) candidates getting 90k, whereas many with signifantly lower numbers are getting the full scholarship.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:53 pm

vcap180 wrote:Anyone else a bit confused by the apparent way that scholarships are being distributed? I am seeing extremely competitive (at least numerically) candidates getting 90k, whereas many with signifantly lower numbers are getting the full scholarship.
Could be a bit of YP. I got a 90k Scholarship from NUSL while also receiving a 129k scholarship from WUSTL; it could be that NUSL's ad comms expected me to get bigger offers at higher ranked schools and so held out? If a candidate with higher stats was truly adamant about attending NUSL then they could probably negotiate up.

ouais_ouais

New

Post by ouais_ouais » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:15 pm

mrtux45 wrote:Any NUSL grads or students willing to take questions?
I'm a 1L at NUSL. Happy to help if I can.

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:32 pm

ouais_ouais wrote:
Really appreciate it!

What is your opinion of the grading system? Do you think it will be a disadvantage when applying to co-ops and eventually jobs?

Can you please describe the co-op positions available? Are they mostly unpaid/public interest focused, or do students who are interested in working with firms small and large have as many good opportunities?

aryi3025

Bronze

Post by aryi3025 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:12 pm

mrtux45 wrote:
ouais_ouais wrote:
Really appreciate it!

What is your opinion of the grading system? Do you think it will be a disadvantage when applying to co-ops and eventually jobs?

Can you please describe the co-op positions available? Are they mostly unpaid/public interest focused, or do students who are interested in working with firms small and large have as many good opportunities?
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ouais_ouais

New

Post by ouais_ouais » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:25 am

mrtux45 wrote:
ouais_ouais wrote:
Really appreciate it!

A big disadvantage to the grading system is that it takes a while to get the grades since they include narrative evaluations. Case in point, I still have not gotten any of my grades. As for the actual system, I'm not sure if it is a disadvantage since I have not gone through the co-op process yet. In Boston, I do not believe it is a disadvantage because everyone is familiar with how Northeastern does things, but that may not be true if you're looking to work in another state.

I know people who have co-ops at firms but most are focused on employee-side litigation. Most everyone seems to be going after government-public interest positions. I believe that is because of self-selection but who knows.

raeofsunshine

New

Post by raeofsunshine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Does anyone know if Northeastern offers a stipend for ASW?

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:41 pm

ouais_ouais wrote:
mrtux45 wrote:
ouais_ouais wrote:
Really appreciate it!

A big disadvantage to the grading system is that it takes a while to get the grades since they include narrative evaluations. Case in point, I still have not gotten any of my grades. As for the actual system, I'm not sure if it is a disadvantage since I have not gone through the co-op process yet. In Boston, I do not believe it is a disadvantage because everyone is familiar with how Northeastern does things, but that may not be true if you're looking to work in another state.

I know people who have co-ops at firms but most are focused on employee-side litigation. Most everyone seems to be going after government-public interest positions. I believe that is because of self-selection but who knows.
Thank you for answering! I'm really grateful for it, I don't know anyone at NUSL and I think it's invaluable to hear from students.

-I understand the school leans PI/gov and has a pronounced left-leaning culture.. in your experience, does this lead to a negative attitude towards students who aim for traditional law firm positions?

-How did you decide on NUSL over other options in and outside of Boston?

ouais_ouais

New

Post by ouais_ouais » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:03 pm

mrtux45 wrote:
ouais_ouais wrote:
mrtux45 wrote:
ouais_ouais wrote:
Really appreciate it!

Thank you for answering! I'm really grateful for it, I don't know anyone at NUSL and I think it's invaluable to hear from students.

-I understand the school leans PI/gov and has a pronounced left-leaning culture.. in your experience, does this lead to a negative attitude towards students who aim for traditional law firm positions?

-How did you decide on NUSL over other options in and outside of Boston?
Yes, it is PI/left-leaning (though the complaint from this contingent is that the administration and professors still are not left leaning enough.) However, negative attitudes towards students pursuing traditional legal paths depend on the student. I know students of color who are looking to pursue big law both because of interest and to create greater access for people in their communities to obtain these types of positions in the future. No one faults that logic and it is obviously encouraged. However, it is a large class and I'm sure there are enough students pursuing each type of law that no one is completely isolated. Also, no one is publicly chastising students who are pursuing a more traditional path, but you would likely be in the minority. If you want everyone reaffirming what you already believe regarding that path, it might not be the best place for you.

I chose NUSL because I felt the most at home among the student body in addition to the fact that NUSL gave me the most money. I wouldn't say you should always go with the institution that gives you the most money, but my goal is PI, so it made sense since they place well within that arena and I will have less debt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:48 pm

ouais_ouais wrote: Yes, it is PI/left-leaning (though the complaint from this contingent is that the administration and professors still are not left leaning enough.) However, negative attitudes towards students pursuing traditional legal paths depend on the student. I know students of color who are looking to pursue big law both because of interest and to create greater access for people in their communities to obtain these types of positions in the future. No one faults that logic and it is obviously encouraged. However, it is a large class and I'm sure there are enough students pursuing each type of law that no one is completely isolated. Also, no one is publicly chastising students who are pursuing a more traditional path, but you would likely be in the minority. If you want everyone reaffirming what you already believe regarding that path, it might not be the best place for you.

I chose NUSL because I felt the most at home among the student body in addition to the fact that NUSL gave me the most money. I wouldn't say you should always go with the institution that gives you the most money, but my goal is PI, so it made sense since they place well within that arena and I will have less debt.
This all makes a lot of sense, thanks a lot.

One last question, what exactly is a co-op stipend? I have one included in my financial aid offer. Is this money that's paid if you do an unpaid co-op? Or is it a merit award from NUSL that you get while on co-op regardless of what type of position you take?

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:24 pm

Was offered the PILS Scholarship today. Just letting y'all know in case anyone was wondering when that would be released!

ouais_ouais

New

Post by ouais_ouais » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:56 am

mrtux45 wrote:
ouais_ouais wrote: Yes, it is PI/left-leaning (though the complaint from this contingent is that the administration and professors still are not left leaning enough.) However, negative attitudes towards students pursuing traditional legal paths depend on the student. I know students of color who are looking to pursue big law both because of interest and to create greater access for people in their communities to obtain these types of positions in the future. No one faults that logic and it is obviously encouraged. However, it is a large class and I'm sure there are enough students pursuing each type of law that no one is completely isolated. Also, no one is publicly chastising students who are pursuing a more traditional path, but you would likely be in the minority. If you want everyone reaffirming what you already believe regarding that path, it might not be the best place for you.

This all makes a lot of sense, thanks a lot.

One last question, what exactly is a co-op stipend? I have one included in my financial aid offer. Is this money that's paid if you do an unpaid co-op? Or is it a merit award from NUSL that you get while on co-op regardless of what type of position you take?
Not sure. I think it is only for public interest. I'd ask admissions.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:29 am

ouais_ouais wrote:
What's your cost of living? And how much would it skyrocket if I wanted a one bedroom?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”