Admission Weekend Stipend Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mackgal

Bronze

Re: Admission Weekend Stipend

Post by Mackgal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:25 am

NotAGolfer wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Berkeley: $150 for travel if coming from within CA, $300 if coming from outside of CA
Thanks for sharing. I'm assuming we just need to provide travel receipts?
Yup keep the receipts, most schools will give you a form to fill out and then mail you a check after you visit (can take a few weeks to get it though)

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:10 am

Mackgal wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Berkeley: $150 for travel if coming from within CA, $300 if coming from outside of CA
Yup keep the receipts, most schools will give you a form to fill out and then mail you a check after you visit (can take a few weeks to get it though)
Thanks!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:12 am

Mackgal wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
For Berkeley specifically, if you are attending the ASW, there will be a desk during registration where you will bring your receipts and the issue the refund as a prepaid credit card, so you would need to make sure you have the receipts with you when you go to the event.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:14 am

airwrecka wrote:
Mackgal wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
For Berkeley specifically, if you are attending the ASW, there will be a desk during registration where you will bring your receipts and the issue the refund as a prepaid credit card, so you would need to make sure you have the receipts with you when you go to the event.
Okay thanks! Now I don't have to bug them with an email

Legalstudent111

New

Post by Legalstudent111 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Anyone have word on Ucla?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zerato5

Bronze

Post by zerato5 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:18 am

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cfitz

New

Post by Cfitz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:24 am

UCLA is a 200$ reimbursement on flights only

Mackgal

Bronze

Post by Mackgal » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Legalstudent111 wrote:Anyone have word on Ucla?
"UCLA is a 200$ reimbursement on flights only"

carlos_danger

Bronze

Post by carlos_danger » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Texas says they'll be offering applications for a need-based stipend up to $300 if visiting from out of state

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

poliksa

New

Post by poliksa » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Mackgal wrote:

Where did you find this info? I must have missed it!

Cfitz

New

Post by Cfitz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:07 pm

poliksa wrote:
Mackgal wrote:

I emailed them to secure mine.

We would be happy to offer you a $200 travel stipend reimbursement to attend the Welcome Reception on March 6. You will also need to RSVP for the Reception online. Please confirm with me that you would like me to reserve the funds for you. In addition, please make sure you read the statement below carefully prior to purchasing your airline ticket to ensure a stipend reimbursement.

Per our Business & Finance Office at UCLA School of Law, you must provide an itemized receipt and proof of payment for your airfare expenses. The receipt is normally the itinerary provided by the airline and it must include your name, the travel dates, destination (to Los Angeles to visit UCLA Law and back to your home address), and the cost of the airfare (up to $200.00 USD). The proof of payment may be in the form of a flight itinerary showing the last four numbers of your credit card, or a redacted bank statement. You must also pay for your own travel expenses; we cannot reimburse you if someone else purchases your airfare and we cannot reimburse someone who is not an official guest of UCLA. Airfare should be purchased separately from other travel items because we cannot reimburse you for “package deals” (booking airfare, hotel, car, etc. together). We also aren’t able to reimburse you for the purchase of miles used towards your airfare and can only reimburse a direct purchase of airfare. Reimbursements must be submitted after the travel is complete (but within 21 days of your arrival back home). I will provide the reimbursement form closer to the date of your visit. We look forward to seeing you!"

Legalstudent111

New

Post by Legalstudent111 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Cfitz wrote:
poliksa wrote:
Mackgal wrote:

I emailed them to secure mine.

We would be happy to offer you a $200 travel stipend reimbursement to attend the Welcome Reception on March 6. You will also need to RSVP for the Reception online. Please confirm with me that you would like me to reserve the funds for you. In addition, please make sure you read the statement below carefully prior to purchasing your airline ticket to ensure a stipend reimbursement.

Per our Business & Finance Office at UCLA School of Law, you must provide an itemized receipt and proof of payment for your airfare expenses. The receipt is normally the itinerary provided by the airline and it must include your name, the travel dates, destination (to Los Angeles to visit UCLA Law and back to your home address), and the cost of the airfare (up to $200.00 USD). The proof of payment may be in the form of a flight itinerary showing the last four numbers of your credit card, or a redacted bank statement. You must also pay for your own travel expenses; we cannot reimburse you if someone else purchases your airfare and we cannot reimburse someone who is not an official guest of UCLA. Airfare should be purchased separately from other travel items because we cannot reimburse you for “package deals” (booking airfare, hotel, car, etc. together). We also aren’t able to reimburse you for the purchase of miles used towards your airfare and can only reimburse a direct purchase of airfare. Reimbursements must be submitted after the travel is complete (but within 21 days of your arrival back home). I will provide the reimbursement form closer to the date of your visit. We look forward to seeing you!"

Last edited by Legalstudent111 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longpig

Bronze

Post by longpig » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Legalstudent111 wrote: okay did anyone from the DC or NY area get offered this? I contacted them and they said they couldn't offer me a stipend but i should attend the reception in my area. i assume it's because i'm not a very competitive applicant numberwise, but wondered if it's also because they have the local reception. not a big deal, i'm just happy to be accepted, but just wondering....
I'm coming from NY and they offered me the stipend. Guess I would be considered competitive for them. I asked on the phone when I was accepted, but it wasn't very long ago. Possible that their funds dried up already?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Legalstudent111

New

Post by Legalstudent111 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm

longpig wrote:
Legalstudent111 wrote: okay did anyone from the DC or NY area get offered this? I contacted them and they said they couldn't offer me a stipend but i should attend the reception in my area. i assume it's because i'm not a very competitive applicant numberwise, but wondered if it's also because they have the local reception. not a big deal, i'm just happy to be accepted, but just wondering....
I'm coming from NY and they offered me the stipend. Guess I would be considered competitive for them. I asked on the phone when I was accepted, but it wasn't very long ago. Possible that their funds dried up already?
Last edited by Legalstudent111 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearlylegal

New

Post by bearlylegal » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Anyone heard of any stipend/reimbursement offers from CU Boulder? I sent out an email but haven't heard back yet. I'm in CA and their admit days are shortly before the first seat deposit is due. I really want to go because I've never been to the campus, but taking the trip would take a chunk out of my seat deposit savings without much time to replace it.

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:19 am

So UVA offers travel stipends from $0-$400 depending on where you're traveling from:

http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/admissi ... dy1011.pdf

(link courtesy of curry1)

I think this is from a previous year since the dates are different but I think it should be similar this year!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:26 am

Christinabruin wrote:So UVA offers travel stipends from $0-$400 depending on where you're traveling from:

I think this is from a previous year since the dates are different but I think it should be similar this year!
I sat down and ate dinner with Grace Cleveland (UVA's Dean of Admissions) in Chicago, and she told me that UVA would reimburse $250.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:54 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:So UVA offers travel stipends from $0-$400 depending on where you're traveling from:

I sat down and ate dinner with Grace Cleveland (UVA's Dean of Admissions) in Chicago, and she told me that UVA would reimburse $250.
Oh okay so at least that supports the data above! I initially read your response incorrectly and thought you meant UVA would reimburse you $250 for having dinner with Grace Cleveland in Chicago LOL

Edit: I shouldn't go on TLS at 4 in the morning...

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:25 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:

Grace Cleveland isn't the Dean of Admissions; she's one of the directors of admissions. And FWIW, I got a $400 stipend to go to ASW last year from Washington state. It depends on where you're coming from.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:47 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:

Grace Cleveland isn't the Dean of Admissions; she's one of the directors of admissions. And FWIW, I got a $400 stipend to go to ASW last year from Washington state. It depends on where you're coming from.
Yep, you're right. I'm just so used to using the word dean that the mistake came naturally. Good catch. Also, yes, location does matter. That's why I indicated I was told the $250 amount in Chicago. I was trying to give midwestern admits an idea of what their reimbursement might look like. I guess I should have been a little more clear/proofread.

Cbear2017

New

Post by Cbear2017 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:11 pm

FYI GW only reimburses if you attend I believe....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:33 am

airwrecka wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
Got it ! Thanks for finding that out. Would be odd if they didn't do flight subsidies, almost all other schools do.
I was thinking the same thing. Although a cheap hotel room is really nice. I'm spending more on my hotel in Berkeley than I did on the plane ticket :roll:
For future admits attending ASW in Berkeley, I would suggest NOT getting a hotel room directly in Berkeley nor San Francisco as these two areas are always extremely expensive, unless of course distance to the school is a must for you. I would suggest getting a room within walking/a quick Uber or Lyft ride away from the very convenient and easy to understand BART system - try Oakland, particularly around the airport. Also if flying into Oakland airport (which I suggest doing over SF Int'l) the BART picks you up/drops you off right inside the airport and goes directly into Downtown Berkeley which is on the western end of campus and a 10/15 minute walk through campus to the law school on the eastern end.

Source: Recent undergrad alum

Lawschool305

Bronze

Post by Lawschool305 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:41 am

Do schools give you a stipend to visit if you can not attend ASW? I want to pick a day to go visit a law school, and am hoping they will cover my bus.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:48 am

Lawschool305 wrote:Do schools give you a stipend to visit if you can not attend ASW? I want to pick a day to go visit a law school, and am hoping they will cover my bus.
I would reach out to admissions and ask. I know UVA does, but every school is different. The email is free!

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:50 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”