Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ColtsFan88

Silver

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by ColtsFan88 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:22 pm

I sent a scholarship negotiation request to IUB last Monday and have yet to hear from them at all. Is this normal? Should I send a second email? I understand if they don't want to give me more money, but some kind of email letting me know they received mine and are considering it would be nice.

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:25 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:I sent a scholarship negotiation request to IUB last Monday and have yet to hear from them at all. Is this normal? Should I send a second email? I understand if they don't want to give me more money, but some kind of email letting me know they received mine and are considering it would be nice.
I sent mine that day too, and still haven't heard anything. I'm going to assume they're considering it and wait another week or two. Then again, I'm not expecting IUB to give me more money, so it's not urgent for me. Let me know what you decide and when you hear back!

ColtsFan88

Silver

Post by ColtsFan88 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:26 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:
ColtsFan88 wrote:I sent a scholarship negotiation request to IUB last Monday and have yet to hear from them at all. Is this normal? Should I send a second email? I understand if they don't want to give me more money, but some kind of email letting me know they received mine and are considering it would be nice.
I sent mine that day too, and still haven't heard anything. I'm going to assume they're considering it and wait another week or two. Then again, I'm not expecting IUB to give me more money, so it's not urgent for me. Let me know what you decide and when you hear back!
Thanks, its nice to hear someone else is in the same boat.

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:56 pm

I sent my negotiation e-mail this morning and heard back from the Dean that he will be meeting with the scholarship committee tomorrow and wants to know what type of increase I would like. (They already gave me $12,000 which apparently is pretty generous for the school. This is his e-mail below) Does anyone have suggestions for responding to this question? This school is my top choice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you so much for responding. I will be meeting with the Scholarship Committee tomorrow morning and will share with them the information you provided. Hopefully we will be able to make our offer more competitive, affording you the opportunity to relocate to Portland. I will let you know as soon as possible if we are able to increase your offer. To have a better understanding, what sort of increase would you be looking for, keeping in mind that our funds are limited.

I look forward to hearing from you.

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Sherlock1708 wrote:I sent my negotiation e-mail this morning and heard back from the Dean that he will be meeting with the scholarship committee tomorrow and wants to know what type of increase I would like. (They already gave me $12,000 which apparently is pretty generous for the school. This is his e-mail below) Does anyone have suggestions for responding to this question? This school is my top choice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you so much for responding. I will be meeting with the Scholarship Committee tomorrow morning and will share with them the information you provided. Hopefully we will be able to make our offer more competitive, affording you the opportunity to relocate to Portland. I will let you know as soon as possible if we are able to increase your offer. To have a better understanding, what sort of increase would you be looking for, keeping in mind that our funds are limited.

Wow, this is a tough one. Do you have an amount in mind that would seal the deal for the school? If so, definitely don't tell them anything less than that. You might even want to tell them a number higher in case they bite. It's a tough call though because obviously "full ride plus a stipend" would be an ideal but ridiculous request.

If I were you, I would tell them that anything above X (your minimum amount that would seal the deal) would increase your chances of attending, and anything above Y (ridiculously awesome number) would result in an immediate deposit to the school. That way even your minimum number is above what you require. Also, it's better to aim high because they may still offer something smaller if they can't meet your demands. Does this make sense?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rahrah

New

Post by rahrah » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:15 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:
Sherlock1708 wrote:I sent my negotiation e-mail this morning and heard back from the Dean that he will be meeting with the scholarship committee tomorrow and wants to know what type of increase I would like. (They already gave me $12,000 which apparently is pretty generous for the school. This is his e-mail below) Does anyone have suggestions for responding to this question? This school is my top choice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow, this is a tough one. Do you have an amount in mind that would seal the deal for the school? If so, definitely don't tell them anything less than that. You might even want to tell them a number higher in case they bite. It's a tough call though because obviously "full ride plus a stipend" would be an ideal but ridiculous request.

If I were you, I would tell them that anything above X (your minimum amount that would seal the deal) would increase your chances of attending, and anything above Y (ridiculously awesome number) would result in an immediate deposit to the school. That way even your minimum number is above what you require. Also, it's better to aim high because they may still offer something smaller if they can't meet your demands. Does this make sense?
I like this answer. Just curious, Sherlock where is this?

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks punkyg. This sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure how much more they'll have to give me because the school is so small. I was thinking about figuring out how much scholarship money I would need to avoid having to take out Grad Plus or private loans. FAFSA reports that I'll get the full amount, $20,500, which I plan to use for education and living expenses.

The school is Maine. My apps are in review at a lot of T40 - T50 schools, and I think I'll get into some of them, but I'm almost considering just withdrawing and going to Maine if they offer me enough money. I worked as a litigation paralegal at a top NYC firm after college and have no interest in the big law lifestyle. I'm 28 and my boyfriend and I are nearing the age of wanting to settle down and start a family. I think Portland (one of the few cities we both like) offers much to be desired in terms of balancing family and work.

CattyPake

New

Post by CattyPake » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:24 pm

wamanda wrote:
Yes, generally you ask for an increase any time you get a new (and hopefully better) offer.

Also, don't forget--you can easily use an acceptance with no scholarship at a higher ranked school to get money from a lower ranked school. It doesn't always have to be a competing scholarship offer.
I've read through the entire thread and Wamanda has given some great advice but I'm still not really clear on how to do this.
I got into a lower T14 no money and I'm trying to negotiate with UF for more money. UIUC gave me half off tuition and I was just going to mention that to UF but I have no idea how to bring my T14 acceptance into it as well.

Jaytray

New

Post by Jaytray » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:54 pm

CattyPake wrote:
wamanda wrote:
Yes, generally you ask for an increase any time you get a new (and hopefully better) offer.

Also, don't forget--you can easily use an acceptance with no scholarship at a higher ranked school to get money from a lower ranked school. It doesn't always have to be a competing scholarship offer.
I've read through the entire thread and Wamanda has given some great advice but I'm still not really clear on how to do this.
I got into a lower T14 no money and I'm trying to negotiate with UF for more money. UIUC gave me half off tuition and I was just going to mention that to UF but I have no idea how to bring my T14 acceptance into it as well.
List other schools actual offers, then:

"On top of all this, I have recently been accepted to _____, making my decision even harder." Something along those lines?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:04 pm

CattyPake wrote:
wamanda wrote:

In comparing UF and UIUC, you could also look at the top starting salaries of associates for each location. Let's say school A offers you more money than school B. School A also feeds into a market that starts associates at $160K. School B feeds into a market that starts associates at $100K. If school B is your top choice, you could write that if you attend school B, it will not only cost you more to attend, but it will also take longer to pay off your debt.

Also take COL into consideration. Even if the schools generally have comparable COLs, one of them is bound to be more expensive for you due to relocation and/or traveling home to see your family.

I might hold off on bringing up your T14 acceptance. If UF says no or offers very little, then you will have something else to add to your case.

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:01 pm

From what I have read, it looks like most of you went the email route instead of a hard letter...?

Did you send the email to FinAid, Ad Dean, or AdComm (generic admissions email)?

I applied to some lower ranked schools in order to start negotiating up.

For instance, I applied to Wayne St in Michigan (although I have no intention of applying) who is ranked 125. They offered me a full ride for all three years (33k/yr).

Pace University in White Plains (ranked 115) I would actually consider attending and they offered 15k/yr which still leaves 25/yr.

Any suggestions on moving this one up?

Chucky21

Bronze

Post by Chucky21 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:10 pm

CattyPake wrote:
wamanda wrote:

I would seriously consider the T14 school. The opportunities from that school will be better. Even though you may not get any $, you'll be making more in the end. Work hard, make partner, 7 figure salaries.

kroakstool

Bronze

Post by kroakstool » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Got my first good news on the negotiating front today. $3k more a year, which is good nut not ideal since I am out of state. However, the email stated that if I qualify for in-state tuition (I'm in the military and can get in-state my first year if I apply for state residency) then I will get a new offer that will give me the same percentage scholarship with in-state tuition. Not too shabby

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gabewatch

Bronze

Post by gabewatch » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:12 pm

kroakstool wrote:Got my first good news on the negotiating front today. $3k more a year, which is good nut not ideal since I am out of state. However, the email stated that if I qualify for in-state tuition (I'm in the military and can get in-state my first year if I apply for state residency) then I will get a new offer that will give me the same percentage scholarship with in-state tuition. Not too shabby
What school was this for? UGA? congrats on the successful negotiation

kroakstool

Bronze

Post by kroakstool » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:13 pm

gabewatch wrote:
kroakstool wrote:Got my first good news on the negotiating front today. $3k more a year, which is good nut not ideal since I am out of state. However, the email stated that if I qualify for in-state tuition (I'm in the military and can get in-state my first year if I apply for state residency) then I will get a new offer that will give me the same percentage scholarship with in-state tuition. Not too shabby
William and Mary. I am a GA resident so I already get in-state there

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:15 pm

kroakstool wrote:
gabewatch wrote:
William and Mary. I am a GA resident so I already get in-state there
Virginia is pretty good to us military personnel for getting our residency taken care of...very helpful, especially with the GI Bill.

vkgarrett

Bronze

Post by vkgarrett » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:15 pm

I sent my negotiation in two weeks ago, heard nothing since... what's the general protocol for this sort of thing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:23 pm

Sherlock1708 wrote:
CattyPake wrote:
wamanda wrote:

In comparing UF and UIUC, you could also look at the top starting salaries of associates for each location. Let's say school A offers you more money than school B. School A also feeds into a market that starts associates at $160K. School B feeds into a market that starts associates at $100K. If school B is your top choice, you could write that if you attend school B, it will not only cost you more to attend, but it will also take longer to pay off your debt.

Also take COL into consideration. Even if the schools generally have comparable COLs, one of them is bound to be more expensive for you due to relocation and/or traveling home to see your family.

I might hold off on bringing up your T14 acceptance. If UF says no or offers very little, then you will have something else to add to your case.
Just say that you got into (T14), and given the school's national reach and reputation you're facing a difficult decision (one which could be resolved with a bigger scholarship).

ACGator2012

New

Post by ACGator2012 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Would anyone be willing to take a look at a letter for me before I send it? PM me if interested! Additionally, has anyone negotiated multiple times and received multiple increases?

vkgarrett

Bronze

Post by vkgarrett » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:20 pm

HA scholarship negotiation success!! Got a letter in the mail saying my scholarship was upgraded.... yesssssss!

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:41 pm

vkgarrett wrote:HA scholarship negotiation success!! Got a letter in the mail saying my scholarship was upgraded.... yesssssss!
Congrats!!! Would you mind telling us where?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:36 am

Just got accepted into Princeton Law School! Would I be able to use my acceptance to negotiate scholarship amounts with a t2 school?

Thanks!

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 am

tolson1 wrote:Just got accepted into Princeton Law School! Would I be able to use my acceptance to negotiate scholarship amounts with a t2 school?

Thanks!
Lol. Smart ass.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:55 am

tolson1 wrote:Just got accepted into Princeton Law School! Would I be able to use my acceptance to negotiate scholarship amounts with a t2 school?

Thanks!
Lame.

TheFailboat

New

Post by TheFailboat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:15 am

Does anybody know if Tulane is willing to budge? I know they saythat they won't negotiate, but I wasn't sure if anybody has had any luck talking their scholarship up. They gave me $25k, and even a bump to $30k would help out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”