Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Post Reply
User avatar
Harry_Pluxen

Bronze
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Is there a comprehensive guide on TLS to negotiating scholarships? I've only found brief ones on various blogs. I'd like to know if anyone can refer me to a "mega thread" on this subject.

User avatar
slippin_jimmy

Gold
Posts: 1958
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by slippin_jimmy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:12 pm

Harry_Pluxen wrote:Is there a comprehensive guide on TLS to negotiating scholarships? I've only found brief ones on various blogs. I'd like to know if anyone can refer me to a "mega thread" on this subject.
I have this bookmarked: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

User avatar
slippin_jimmy

Gold
Posts: 1958
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by slippin_jimmy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:13 pm

slippin_jimmy wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:Is there a comprehensive guide on TLS to negotiating scholarships? I've only found brief ones on various blogs. I'd like to know if anyone can refer me to a "mega thread" on this subject.
I have this bookmarked: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373
ETA: I don't think all the images used to be broken.

But also interested if other folks have resources.

User avatar
Harry_Pluxen

Bronze
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:07 pm

slippin_jimmy wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:Is there a comprehensive guide on TLS to negotiating scholarships? I've only found brief ones on various blogs. I'd like to know if anyone can refer me to a "mega thread" on this subject.
I have this bookmarked: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373
Thank you.

User avatar
Nachoo2019

Silver
Posts: 798
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by Nachoo2019 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:16 pm

slippin_jimmy wrote:
slippin_jimmy wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:Is there a comprehensive guide on TLS to negotiating scholarships? I've only found brief ones on various blogs. I'd like to know if anyone can refer me to a "mega thread" on this subject.
I have this bookmarked: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373
ETA: I don't think all the images used to be broken.

But also interested if other folks have resources.
That is the most comprehensive post I have seen on negotiations so far.
Thanks for sharing!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
jlaw20161

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by jlaw20161 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:57 pm

Quick question if anyone would be able to provide me some insight on this...

UICL offered me a full tuition scholarship. When calculating the value of that scholarship, should I assume that being an out-of-state applicant, I would receive in-state tuition for my second and third years?

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:03 pm

jlaw20161 wrote:Quick question if anyone would be able to provide me some insight on this...

UICL offered me a full tuition scholarship. When calculating the value of that scholarship, should I assume that being an out-of-state applicant, I would receive in-state tuition for my second and third years?
It depends on the requirements of the school and the state. Some are easier to get in-state tuition and some almost require that you begin a residency transition when you matriculate/move in. If you are looking to negotiate the value of the scholarship though, I wouldn't only look at the total dollar value, but rather include the remaining cost of attendance in my consideration (basically COL after a full-tuition scholarship).
That is one of the factors that was pointed out to me last cycle during a negotiation when I tried to get a bump at one school: "we are only able to increase your scholarship by this amount, which maintains the affordability of our program in comparison to your other competitive offers," or something like that.

User avatar
jlaw20161

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by jlaw20161 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:12 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
jlaw20161 wrote:Quick question if anyone would be able to provide me some insight on this...

UICL offered me a full tuition scholarship. When calculating the value of that scholarship, should I assume that being an out-of-state applicant, I would receive in-state tuition for my second and third years?
It depends on the requirements of the school and the state. Some are easier to get in-state tuition and some almost require that you begin a residency transition when you matriculate/move in. If you are looking to negotiate the value of the scholarship though, I wouldn't only look at the total dollar value, but rather include the remaining cost of attendance in my consideration (basically COL after a full-tuition scholarship).
That is one of the factors that was pointed out to me last cycle during a negotiation when I tried to get a bump at one school: "we are only able to increase your scholarship by this amount, which maintains the affordability of our program in comparison to your other competitive offers," or something like that.
Very good point thank you for the quick reply!

Bradsj

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:49 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by Bradsj » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:48 am

Anyone know who I email at W&M to attempt negotiation?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
lawandorder2019

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:11 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by lawandorder2019 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Bradsj wrote:Anyone know who I email at W&M to attempt negotiation?
I emailed ffshea@wm.edu since that was the email address that sent me my admission. However they haven't been super receptive.

That being said, anyone who has some advice on scholarship negotiation or anyone who has been successful in the past, can you please PM me? I received an odd email from W&M and want some advice on how to proceed.

Bradsj

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:49 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by Bradsj » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:10 pm

lawandorder2019 wrote:
Bradsj wrote:Anyone know who I email at W&M to attempt negotiation?
I emailed ffshea@wm.edu since that was the email address that sent me my admission. However they haven't been super receptive.

That being said, anyone who has some advice on scholarship negotiation or anyone who has been successful in the past, can you please PM me? I received an odd email from W&M and want some advice on how to proceed.
Thanks! I ended up emailing Dean Shealy, too. She called to tell me of my acceptance but I guess I just felt weird emailing the dean directly for negotiation. She was incredibly nice! However, no luck with the negotiations there :(

Clytemnestra

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:26 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by Clytemnestra » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:13 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by Clytemnestra on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aeon

Silver
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by Aeon » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:31 pm

I think Michigan would be considerably more receptive to offers from peer schools. It's unlikely they would budge based on a scholarship offer from Minnesota. But if that's all you end up getting, it might be worth a try.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
TheKisSquared

Silver
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by TheKisSquared » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:44 am

Tried searching this thread but struck out....
Has anyone had success or heard of success in negotiating GULC using an offer from GW? Does the proximity help at all?
I'm not particularly interested in attending GW, but they opened with a ~50% scholarship and I'm hoping to make the best of it 8)

t14ohlehdoit

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 4:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by t14ohlehdoit » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:53 am

post removed.
Last edited by t14ohlehdoit on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jewkidontheblock

Bronze
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by jewkidontheblock » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:03 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:Tried searching this thread but struck out....
Has anyone had success or heard of success in negotiating GULC using an offer from GW? Does the proximity help at all?
I'm not particularly interested in attending GW, but they opened with a ~50% scholarship and I'm hoping to make the best of it 8)
I know it's been done, but it's obviously much easier to do it in reverse. Don't expect a full match. Also keep in mind that Georgetown hasn't made many, if any, offers yet.

User avatar
TheKisSquared

Silver
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by TheKisSquared » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:31 pm

jewkidontheblock wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:Tried searching this thread but struck out....
Has anyone had success or heard of success in negotiating GULC using an offer from GW? Does the proximity help at all?
I'm not particularly interested in attending GW, but they opened with a ~50% scholarship and I'm hoping to make the best of it 8)
I know it's been done, but it's obviously much easier to do it in reverse. Don't expect a full match. Also keep in mind that Georgetown hasn't made many, if any, offers yet.
Oh yeah, I wasn't planning on starting this game until March.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


User avatar
edditb

Bronze
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by edditb » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:57 pm

Does anybody know if during the negotiation process the schools generally ask for fall grades? And if say, for a >75 lsat and <25 gpa splitter, a fall grade submission that dropped gpa would be a big blow to that persons leverage?

User avatar
president biden

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:33 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by president biden » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:14 am

edditb wrote:Does anybody know if during the negotiation process the schools generally ask for fall grades? And if say, for a >75 lsat and <25 gpa splitter, a fall grade submission that dropped gpa would be a big blow to that persons leverage?
If you were already <25 for gpa, they're probably not going to be concerned about a modest drop.

User avatar
Nachoo2019

Silver
Posts: 798
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by Nachoo2019 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:41 pm

If I plan to negotiate with a school is it best to send a formal letter or email? Or should I call and see if they are open to reviewing my financial aid package? Also, I have a school that I know I would attend with their scholarship as long as the conditions were lowered significantly or dropped and I know that I will absolutely not attend with the current conditions. Would it be advisable to give them an ultimatum? For example, "I will withdraw other applications and enter my seat deposit to your school if this scholarship stipulations are dropped." or is that too blunt?

User avatar
TheKisSquared

Silver
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by TheKisSquared » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:37 pm

kwabedi wrote:If I plan to negotiate with a school is it best to send a formal letter or email? Or should I call and see if they are open to reviewing my financial aid package? Also, I have a school that I know I would attend with their scholarship as long as the conditions were lowered significantly or dropped and I know that I will absolutely not attend with the current conditions. Would it be advisable to give them an ultimatum? For example, "I will withdraw other applications and enter my seat deposit to your school if this scholarship stipulations are dropped." or is that too blunt?
As long as you actually intend to keep this promise I have heard this is an effective method. A well-edited and formalish email seems like the norm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


SplitterPeaSoup

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by SplitterPeaSoup » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Hey all.

What do you do when you've received identical scholarship offers from peer schools and want to try to eek out as much as possible?

I've received $120k each from T20 peer schools. I'd rather go to School A. School A is ranked slightly higher, but tuition and cost of living in city A is more expensive. Should I:

1.first talk to School B, hoping that they are used to losing applicants to School A and that they'll try to make me an offer I can't refuse;or

2. first make the point to School A that I prefer them, but the cost of living difference between cities A and B is giving me pause?

Thanks!
Last edited by SplitterPeaSoup on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jlaw20161

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by jlaw20161 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:35 pm

SplitterPeaSoup wrote:Hey all.

What do you do when you've received identical scholarship offers from peer schools and want to try to eek out as much as possible?

I've received $120k each from T20 peer schools. I'd rather go to School A. School A is ranked slightly higher, but tuition and cost of living in city A is more expensive. Should I:

1.first talk to School B, hoping that they are used to losing applications to School A and that they'll try to make me an offer I can't refuse;or

2. first make the point to School A that I prefer them, but the cost of living difference between cities A and B is giving me pause?

Thanks!
Yes, I would see if B will increase after you talk with them. If not, use the COL argument with A.

letsplayball

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by letsplayball » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:47 pm

when is the right time to start negotiating scholarships? I don't know if it would be better to just start as early as possible or to wait until later in the cycle... any thoughts?

UDtoLawSchool

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by UDtoLawSchool » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:10 pm

letsplayball wrote:when is the right time to start negotiating scholarships? I don't know if it would be better to just start as early as possible or to wait until later in the cycle... any thoughts?
I was already able to negotiate one increase but two of my other schools said they aren't reconsidering until March

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”